• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2021 Participants Revealed (Nintendo, MS, Capcom, Konami, UbiSoft). Sony, EA, Activision, Square to Skip

Spencer at the head seven years
pandemic affects gaming two years
Halo 5 was in development, how long?

I'm a fan of the team that created Halo, not the team that killed it.

Microsoft wasn't willing to invest in Xbox until 2018, blaming Phil Spencer for not being able to make a great first party output without any budget is rather unfair, plus Xbox was in a dire situation when Phil took over. If the new studios all start producing bad games in the next year or two then sure you can blame some of that on Phil but that seems incredibly unlikely that all these talented studios would decrease their game quality when given more time and resources. Within the next 1-2 years Xbox is going to be overflowing with games, that will be the time to make any overwhelming judgements about the state of Xbox. But as somebody who's used an Xbox as my primary platform since the early 360 generation, this is far and away the most excited I've been about the future of Xbox, and this is a far cry from the blind hope that people had during the late 360/early One era. If you're still pessimistic about the state of Xbox then I think you just don't like Xbox and nothing will change that

Kev Kev

Final Fantasy 7R(part 2) 2023 launch window confirmed.😂
lol exactly

"This just in: FF16 Release Date:
WRdWpW.gif
"

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
Microsoft wasn't willing to invest in Xbox until 2018, blaming Phil Spencer for not being able to make a great first party output without any budget is rather unfair, plus Xbox was in a dire situation when Phil took over. If the new studios all start producing bad games in the next year or two then sure you can blame some of that on Phil but that seems incredibly unlikely that all these talented studios would decrease their game quality when given more time and resources. Within the next 1-2 years Xbox is going to be overflowing with games, that will be the time to make any overwhelming judgements about the state of Xbox. But as somebody who's used an Xbox as my primary platform since the early 360 generation, this is far and away the most excited I've been about the future of Xbox, and this is a far cry from the blind hope that people had during the late 360/early One era. If you're still pessimistic about the state of Xbox then I think you just don't like Xbox and nothing will change that
No investment since 2018? Don't talk shit.

I've been xboxxing since day one 2001 and I had a green boner for ten/eleven years. Now I'm flaccid with blue balls.

Aroll

I think it's just going take a bit longer before some people realize Microsoft are supporting the Xbox gaming division more than they ever have in the past. Just think about it: the outsold Nintendo when gaming was just a fun side hobby for them (OG Xbox), effectively tied with Sony - and dominated them in NA/UK (the biggest markets at the time) - when they got more broader support but still not necessarily viewed as a critical part of the business (also considering a lot of financing went towards extended warranties for RROD), and still managed 50-something million LTD when Microsoft more or less wanted to kill the division altogether (starving them of budgets and support, etc. following mid-2015 seems like).

This is sort of the first time they've gotten real support from the larger company as a whole in a way where a significant chunk isn't being funneled to extended service warranties over some manufacturing issue, and I think it's just a shock for certain people. But they should consider coming to terms with it very quickly. I also think part of the fear with them is that a stronger Xbox HAS to mean a weaker PlayStation, but that isn't actually the case. And, if that childish idea is something they did think, why would they keep saying they wanted more competition leading up to the launch of the systems? By that metric, you'd want less competition as that'd pose less risk for whatever it is you prefer.

I'm very glad to see Microsoft resurgent this gen, and I think Sony's going to more or less stay the course and be plenty fine themselves. And Nintendo is Nintendo; long as they don't do something wildly different that misses the mark completely they should continue to prosper. All three doing well is good for the industry and, yes, that can include Microsoft increasing their marketshare and revenue/profits of their gaming division, closing gaps etc. without some harm coming to Sony or Nintendo.
I think you are correct that people don't fundamentally understand how much Microsoft is presently supporting Xbox gaming because the big payoff of those investments hasn't arrived yet. It's not just their service based approach - the company just spent 7.5 BILLION dollars to invest in their gaming shit. Microsoft is literally all in right now in a way we have never seen them before, and honestly - Phil Spencer deserves credit for convincing Microsoft to invest so heavily in a sector they haven't really made that much money from.

Aroll

I won't reply to you again, you're pulling the classic shill deflection.

Microsoft were a huge threat to Nintendo during the OG xbox, the GC sold like shit.

Microsoft could have ended the PlayStation division in 2010, but Mattrick fucked it up.

Last thing I'll waste my time saying to you is compare the game output of the first decade of xbox to the last decade. It's night and day difference. I used to spend well over £100 a month buying xbox titles. now I pay £10 a month because thier shit output ain't worth more than
I don't really get how I'm shilling by pointing out facts, but you do you. You are literally making things up without the evidence to support it.

If you think Xbox is why GameCube sold poorly... then I don't know what to tell you. Nintendo's consoles were downward trending 10 to 20 mil gen to gen for a decade and Xbox had nothing to do with it. GCN just continued the trend. There was no noticable impact to GameCube over prior gens and trends because of xbox's existence. What was noticeable is that the trend accelerated when Sony created PlayStation.

Also Microsoft was going to "end" PlayStation division (one of the most asanine and fanboy like comments I have ever heard) in 2010 because... you said so? PS3, that by the end of 2010 had sold 58 million and was almost neck and neck with Xbox 360 at that time?

I mean, why didn't Wii end them both if console sales are the be all end all? Wii destroyed both in the market. Why didn't PS2 end Xbox before Xbox even got started with that 150 million compared to 30? Why didn't PS2 end Nintendo?

Because that's not how it works. Hell, I guess PS4 ended Nintendo due to Wii U.... oh wait.

I don't think you have a true fundamental understanding of the video game industry and live in an alternate, console ware mentality reality, where you feel like one company doing well means the end for someone else, which isn't true. Companies end doing certain things when they bury themselves.

As for game output the first decade of xbox - again -most of those games Microsoft did not make. Microsoft paid money to 3rd parties for games. Microsoft had a massive problem the first decade of their existence not having ownership rights over hardly any IP because they didn't develop things internally. Phil changed the culture and has bought a bunch of studios to pay off long haul with actual "in-house" games, not just contracts with third party studios. See how it went with Scalebound? No more messes like that.

I played Xbox from day 1. I remember the heyday of Xbox. And setting aside Gears, Fable, and Halo - I was playing third party games. Exclusive or otherwise. Not Microsoft's own games. People's memories get tainted with nostalgia. I enjoyed xbox. I Enjoyed Xbox 360. Hell I enjoyed parts of the Xbox One years. I'm enjoying Xbox Series X more than them all and the real games haven't even shown up yet. That BC and game pass is a game changer.

No investment since 2018? Don't talk shit.

I've been xboxxing since day one 2001 and I had a green boner for ten/eleven years. Now I'm flaccid with blue balls.

In Phil Spencer's first 3.5 years (March 2014-September 2017) the only acquisition Xbox made was Minecraft, which wasn't really even done to improve Xbox, just rather easy profit for Microsoft (and Phil likely had little to do with that given how early into his tenure it was), and they even closed some studios like Lionhead.

On September 2017 Phil Spencer was promoted to be the Executive Vice President of Gaming, reporting directly to Satya Nadella. Since then Xbox has acquired or created 18 new studios, and pretty much every new and existing studio has been expanding in the past few years, and all accounts seem like Xbox is going to continue making acquisitions, maybe even another big one, not to mention clear investment into getting great games into Game Pass as well. It's fairly easy to see that Microsoft never cared about Xbox more than just a small project until September 2017, and now it's a very different beast than anything we've seen. There's been a massive increase in investment into the Xbox brand the past 3 years. So yes, 2019 and 2020 and early 2021 haven't been amazing with first party output, but that's all about to change.

In the grand scheme of things for his entire 7 years, this pandemic could be argued as a small impact, but when compared to the 3.5 years where Microsoft actually cared about Xbox, it's more than 1/3 of that time has been affected by the pandemic. I get it, you're sick of the optimism when you look at the present, but the difference is, this time, it's actually warranted optimism and not the deluded fantasies of a fanboy

Aroll

In Phil Spencer's first 3.5 years (March 2014-September 2017) the only acquisition Xbox made was Minecraft, which wasn't really even done to improve Xbox, just rather easy profit for Microsoft (and Phil likely had little to do with that given how early into his tenure it was), and they even closed some studios like Lionhead.

On September 2017 Phil Spencer was promoted to be the Executive Vice President of Gaming, reporting directly to Satya Nadella. Since then Xbox has acquired or created 18 new studios, and pretty much every new and existing studio has been expanding in the past few years, and all accounts seem like Xbox is going to continue making acquisitions, maybe even another big one, not to mention clear investment into getting great games into Game Pass as well. It's fairly easy to see that Microsoft never cared about Xbox more than just a small project until September 2017, and now it's a very different beast than anything we've seen. There's been a massive increase in investment into the Xbox brand the past 3 years. So yes, 2019 and 2020 and early 2021 haven't been amazing with first party output, but that's all about to change.

In the grand scheme of things for his entire 7 years, this pandemic could be argued as a small impact, but when compared to the 3.5 years where Microsoft actually cared about Xbox, it's more than 1/3 of that time has been affected by the pandemic. I get it, you're sick of the optimism when you look at the present, but the difference is, this time, it's actually warranted optimism and not the deluded fantasies of a fanboy
Yeah. While he had control in 2014, he really didn't have the kind of power he does now to make real change until 2017, which is right around the time they started buying studios. Whats different with Xbox versus PlayStation is just the size of the parent company. Gaming mattered very little to Microsoft overall. I think it's important to really understand that Phil hasn't had total control with Microsoft's CEO backing him fully until 2017. Since then, we have seen a lot of things happen that pay off years down the road.

carlosrox

Banned
So I don't get it, how is it even E3 if it's this virtual (stay at home and consume) bullshit?

If it's just gonna be a bunch of Directs what makes it E3?

Why is Sony bailing?

I assume this is where Nintendo would show off Switch Pro if it's real?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Can imagine MS dropping megatons all over the place.

GTA6, Dragons Dogma 2, Elden Ring, Battlefield 6 and more heavy hitters all to be on Gamepass on day one.

Besides GTA 6, which seems like wishful thinking, this is actually a serious prediction.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So I don't get it, how is it even E3 if it's this virtual (stay at home and consume) bullshit?

Why is Sony bailing?

You got use your imagination.

You got a slew of video streams and they will probably put E3 graphic overlays everywhere!

Sidesalad

If this is just going to be virtual, what benefit do these companies get by being apart of "E3"? They're all going to do Nintendo Direct style presentations anyway, so why not just do it on their own schedule?

Keihart

If this was old PlayStation, we would probably have some Virtual way to attend a virtual E3. They did that a couple of times before already even in the old PS Home IIRC.

I really hope the Nintendo event has some BoTW2 news, last direct was such a tease.

Last edited:

Stuart360

So this 'digitsal' E3, is it E3 as normal, but the public are not allowed to attend, meaning conferences, the open floor, etc, just with industry people attending and nio public. Or is it literally no actualy E3 at the conference centre, and it will just be digital events online under the E3 banner?

ManaByte

Gold Member
So this 'digitsal' E3, is it E3 as normal, but the public are not allowed to attend, meaning conferences, the open floor, etc, just with industry people attending and nio public. Or is it literally no actualy E3 at the conference centre, and it will just be digital events online under the E3 banner?
Sounds like nothing at the LA Convention Center because it’s CA.

b6a6es

Banned
yeah sure, they werent investing in their gaming Division when they bought Minecraft for 2.5B$ in 2014 lmao

Woopah

Why is Sony bailing?

Too early for the Pro, they'll wait until 4-6 weeks before it comes out to announce it and I don't see it launching until Q4. I expect an announcement in September or October.

I do think they'll use E3 to reveal most of their 2021 H2 line up so it should still be an exciting event.

Last edited:

Eevee86

Why is Sony bailing?

Depends on when it releases. Unlikely if it's holidays. They'd want all eyes on them.

NickFire

I'm struggling to see the point of E3 any longer. Will non-enthusiast outlets really spend significant time covering a couple of streams when some of the biggest players are collectively yawning at its relevance?

Zeroing

Banned
I think people are just triggered by fans being excited about the Xbox and Phil is the face of the thing they hate. He hasn't done anything wrong in particular to anyone and seems to be doing a decent job at Xbox and maybe that is what upsets some people.
Not upset, just pointing out that whatever he does or doesn’t is view has “he loves us so much” and that makes me puzzled 🤨 maybe I live on a different reality?! Who knows

I'm guessing Sony is probably doing their own event. Like a State of Play or a PSVR2 reveal for example.

By reveal I mean an event dedicated to showing what you can do with it. Not just a simple announcement.

reforen

what if Konami shows the Silent Hill remake but exclusive for Xbox as part of MS acquisition?

not a rumour, not a wish, just want to know what do you think

Top Bottom