• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 Character Reveals (Ongoing)

It looks like their normal attacks are cloned, but their triangle attacks are completely different. Guan Yu's first charged attack we see he conjures up a tornado while Yu Jin turns and slashes at his enemies. Yu Jin has earthquakes, Guan Yu has tornadoes. Yu Jin also pokes alot more than Guan Yu. Their push upwards attacks are the slightly similar though.

Hm..... This is interesting then. If we go by that footage then the only cloned attacks are the square attacks while their list of charged attacks are completely different :thinking: This is exactly how some folks were predicting the cloned move sets were going to be.

Edit: also holy shit are the enemies aggreseive..... I want aggressive a.i., but not the ones where they constantly interrupt your attacks. That is just annoying. I do like how some enemies now roll and dash away from your attacks and try to blind-side you.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Edit: also holy shit are the enemies aggreseive..... I want aggressive a.i., but not the ones where they constantly interrupt your attacks. That is just annoying. I do like how some enemies now roll and dash away from your attacks and try to blind-side you.

I imagine he would have had an easier time if he had opened the gates for his allies first, or had done more rolling/blocking/maneuvering himself. Either way, I like that the game doesn't treat officers just as peons with extra health. You have to consider how many you're engaging at once.

Creaking

Early stuff from Famitsu

DKo3Ub_VAAcgBa7.jpg

Right two are Xun Yu and Zhu Ran, wielding throwing knives and a combat staff respectively.

Left is a newbie, Cao Xiu, wielding some unidentified blade.

Supposedly Wen Yang, Yue Ying, Zhuge Dan and Jiang Wei are also included in this issue, but no pictures yet. Should have full sized renders by Thursday.

Left is a newbie, Cao Xiu, wielding some unidentified blade.

At first, I thought it was a strange choice to introduce another Cao prior to the Sima coup, but I guess Cao Pi needs to share the burden of being featured on all Wu vs Wei maps during his time.

Guess we're finally gonna get a cutscene in the Shiting scenario where we see a guy get offed by a person who pretends to defect by cutting off their hair.

Evilisk

I guess I can understand Cao Xiu as a pick. It's kinda weird to have a battle focused on two generic officers, and the Battle of Shiting has been in the series since forever (I think it's even in DW3, if my memory is correct). I suppose this means Zhou Fang is likely another Wu newcomer too.

It's still rather hard to see, but Cao Xiu looks like he's inspired by his DWB design. It's most noticeable with his hairstyle and purple sash/belt.

Creaking

Bigger images:

Cao Xiu with what looks like some kind of fan-sword.

3y9fsf5.jpg

Xun Yu and Zhu Ran

d5d7f403738da977f7d03d2fbb51f8198718e3fb.png

Jiang Wei, still with a double-ended trident, and Yueying, with some kind of glaive-looking polearm

6944718da97739127cd93e65f3198618377ae2fb.png

Wen Yang with the Zhou Cang/Sun Ce blade, and Zhuge Dan, back to the fan.

eccaab773912b31b6093762d8d18367adbb4e1fb.png

Not really feeling this set myself.

I really do not understand these decisions regarding weapon changes..... Some are "realistic" and then the rest aren't? Going to miss Wen Yang's throwable spears :(

Jiang Wei retains his Double-bladed spear, yay. Yue Ying still retains her Glaive/Sickle so, eh. Cao Xiu with a Fan Sword, cool. Wen Yang still looks badass so there's that, I guess.

Shengar

too many fan users

I fear for the clone movesets :l you know they're gonna happen. But it's understandable for a new gen DW.

It's a compromise that we had to accept considering that:

1) They make the game open world
2) They introduced so many new characters this time around, probably more than any previous numbered title.

Looking at the Yu Jin gameplay video in the previous page, it seems they have fixed the AI. Their aggressiveness and poise might be tied to the morale system which is cool if it's true. All thing considered, The Attack of the Clones worth the price for me.

(shame about Guo Jia for being a collateral damage in Koei's attempt to reduce down the goofiness)

I really do not understand these decisions regarding weapon changes..... Some are "realistic" and then the rest aren't? Going to miss Wen Yang's throwable spears :(

Jiang Wei retains his Double-bladed spear, yay. Yue Ying still retains her Glaive/Sickle so, eh. Cao Xiu with a Fan Sword, cool. Wen Yang still looks badass so there's that, I guess.

They want to go back to pre-DW5 game tone it seems.

I'm glad to see Yue Ying, and I'm glad to see she has her signature polearm.

Right now, all I want is for Wei Yan to have his double voluge. You've given Zhou Tai his katana, and you've given Yue Ying her polearm. Please Koei, don't screw that one up.

Creaking

I'm glad to see Yue Ying, and I'm glad to see she has her signature polearm.

Right now, all I want is for Wei Yan to have his double voluge. You've given Zhou Tai his katana, and you've given Yue Ying her polearm. Please Koei, don't screw that one up.

I don't know that I'd call it her signature polearm. She used to use more of a short scythe/pick, and this looks more like a Lu Meng style pike; something she's never used before. But like I said earlier in the thread, Yueying has gone through more weapon changes than probably any other character in the series.

Evilisk

Fan Sword looks kinda cool

I'm happy to see Zhuge Dan get the fan back. Wen Yang getting that... thing is really weird. I would have expected him to at least get a spear since they seem to push him as Jin/Later 3K Zhao Yun

Yue Ying's design is pretty lame. I've absolutely hated her designs post-DW5 (I hate that they're more sexed up, and her 7-8 designs look completely anachronistic and unffiting). Unlike the other veterans, it doesn't seem like they reverted back to her DW5 design at all with this new design so that' pretty disappointing.

Well shit..... It does indeed look like Lu Meng's Glaive/Halberd instead of a scythe/sickle :(

It also looks like she might be sharing a moveset with Lu Meng or Lu Bu.

Are we still expecting magical staves and rods for Zhang Jiao and Pang Tong? They have to have them, right?

Creaking

Are we still expecting magical staves and rods for Zhang Jiao and Pang Tong? They have to have them, right?

I think so. So far they haven't gone beyond three characters per weapon type, and none so far really fit Zhang Jiao or Pang Tong.

This puts us at 60 of 89(+) characters revealed. Still so many to see, but we're in the last third.

Sesha

Yueying looks cool. Well, the top half. The asymmetrical bottom half is silly.

I like that Cao Xiu gets a fancy unique shuriken-sword when so many characters are sharing weapons. I guess there might be more characters with the same weapon.

Creaking

RIP Zhuge Dans forehead.

Looks like he still has his bulging angry veins though.

Eh I don't like that Zhu Ran design.
His look in 8 seemed perfect for "guy who likes to set stuff on fire"

I'm hoping it's a sign that maybe they're going to develop his personality beyond "fire this, fire that"

I just realized Wen Yang has lost his awesome javelin. This is heresy.

Yeah, it's a real shame. His moveset was one of the more striking aspects of his character.

Almost forgot, more screenshots:

Sesha

Three characters having that weapon really cheapens the coolness of it.

I like Zhu Ran's new design. He seems very "main character"-like. Although he looks like a different character altogether.

TreIII

I'm still so divided on this game. On one hand, a lot of things look good. But on the other, there's still so much that reminds me of DW6 and I really don't want to plop down 60+ for something like that, again.

Matsukaze

I'm still so divided on this game. On one hand, a lot of things look good. But on the other, there's still so much that reminds me of DW6 and I really don't want to plop down 60+ for something like that, again.
This is where I'm at. Plenty of time for my expectations to improve, but I'm a bit worried they didn't quite learn their lesson w DW6.

Creaking

I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as Dynasty Warriors 6. With the focus on moving to an open world setting and retooling the combat system (in a way that doesn't seem dumbed down and poorly thought out like DW6's renbu), I can understand why there is some clone stuff going around. Especially when they are pushing 90 characters here (remember that DW6 actually cut characters in addition to having clones).

Besides that, there's evidence that the clone status might not be as bad as it was in 6, or even 7. Characters are confirmed to at least have unique musous and special attacks, and footage from Cao Pi and Yu Jin suggests that there may be other attacks that are unique to each character as well (final verdict is out until we can see more movesets in action).

And I really appreciate the design direction they are going with DW9, at least for most of the characters. To me, 6 was the first step far into anime territory (cemented beyond a shadow of a doubt with Strikeforce), and very few character designs struck me as being improved for the change.

On top of that, they finally seem to be making the AI more aggressive and defensive, something that was lost early in the 1 vs 1,000 transition.

SuperBudgie1582

Neo Member
From what I've read, the combat system seems more in depth than prior Dynasty Warriors which makes the clone movesets more forgivable in my opinion. Also Im hoping that the clones are similar to Warriors Orochi 3 where a bunch of characters shared a basic moveset but had vastly different strings and specials.

Shengar

I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as Dynasty Warriors 6. With the focus on moving to an open world setting and retooling the combat system (in a way that doesn't seem dumbed down and poorly thought out like DW6's renbu), I can understand why there is some clone stuff going around. Especially when they are pushing 90 characters here (remember that DW6 actually cut characters in addition to having clones).

Besides that, there's evidence that the clone status might not be as bad as it was in 6, or even 7. Characters are confirmed to at least have unique musous and special attacks, and footage from Cao Pi and Yu Jin suggests that there may be other attacks that are unique to each character as well (final verdict is out until we can see more movesets in action).

And I really appreciate the design direction they are going with DW9, at least for most of the characters. To me, 6 was the first step far into anime territory (cemented beyond a shadow of a doubt with Strikeforce), and very few character designs struck me as being improved for the change.

On top of that, they finally seem to be making the AI more aggressive and defensive, something that was lost early in the 1 vs 1,000 transition.

Definitely my thought on DW9. I was sceptical when seeing some of the first footages as well, but as time goes on and they polished crucial part of the game especially the AI and the character visual designs, I'm really fine with clones for now. Just like DW7, DW9 going to make a great base for their future game to move forward where eventually the problem with clones should hammered out eventually (again).

Malrend

I'm very interested in this new fan-blade.
Though we may get some cloned basic movesets, the addition of all these new and unusual weapons, is going to allow me to give the game plenty of goodwill alongside all of the other new features.

Dammit Xu Zhu, lol. The day they decide to not make him a silly dude will be a dark day.

I want Ling Tong's shirt. That shit looks badass and comfy.

4Tran

I don't know that I'd call it her signature polearm. She used to use more of a short scythe/pick, and this looks more like a Lu Meng style pike; something she's never used before. But like I said earlier in the thread, Yueying has gone through more weapon changes than probably any other character in the series.
Her original weapon was the dagger-axe, and this looks more like a combination between a ji and a bill. That would make it four different weapons for just 6 (bow), 7 (staff), 8 (dagger-axe), and 9 (ji).

Fan Sword looks kinda cool

I'm happy to see Zhuge Dan get the fan back. Wen Yang getting that... thing is really weird. I would have expected him to at least get a spear since they seem to push him as Jin/Later 3K Zhao Yun

Yue Ying's design is pretty lame. I've absolutely hated her designs post-DW5 (I hate that they're more sexed up, and her 7-8 designs look completely anachronistic and unffiting). Unlike the other veterans, it doesn't seem like they reverted back to her DW5 design at all with this new design so that' pretty disappointing.
I like seeing Zhuge Dan with a fan again. If they add Zhuge Jin or Zhuge Ke to a future game, those guys should get fans as well.

On the other hand, I sadly agree with your opinions on Yue Ying as well. She looked great in 4 & 5, but she's been blah in all of the newer games.

Creaking

What is the name of the fan sword?

It's just called Fan Sword as far as we know.

Her original weapon was the dagger-axe, and this looks more like a combination between a ji and a bill. That would make it four different weapons for just 6 (bow), 7 (staff), 8 (dagger-axe), and 9 (ji).

You're forgetting the blade-bow she had in 6 Special/Empires and 8 Empires.

4Tran

You're forgetting the blade-bow she had in 6 Special/Empires and 8 Empires.
I never played those! :)

Still, four different weapons in four different mainline games in a row is an awful lot. And those pictures are a good reminder of how much Yue Ying's character design has deteriorated since 4 and 5. The design in 8 is passable, but the one in 6 is ugly and says nothing about her as a character. Honestly, her look in 9 might be the best one since 5.

Isn't she supposed to be the plain-looking wife of Zhuge Liang? cause for me she looks the most attractive female character so far.

I mean, how many of the designs follow their description in this series in general. I agree though she is very attractive this time especially. Wont deter me from Xing Cai though...

Hope we get some high quality gameplay soon. And non official bullshot/bullvideo stuff. All these added effects in their marketing stuff isn't fooling anyone but I super want to know more.

Creaking

Seriously man, except for Zhuge Dan, they all look the same to me except with different clothes and hairdo...
Their faces that is

Well, it was a set of mostly bland pretty boys, plus Yue Ying and Zhuge Dan. I blame the ridiculous popularity of Guo Jia.

Hope we get some high quality gameplay soon. And non official bullshot/bullvideo stuff. All these added effects in their marketing stuff isn't fooling anyone but I super want to know more.

There's a bit of footage from TGS on the previous page. Check near the bottom and work up.

I must say that I love the casual wear. I think it will make for much better cut scenes. It was sometimes silly to see people sitting around in full armour.

I'm not too bothered by the clones, it's not like I'll be playing all of them anyway.

Isn't she supposed to be the plain-looking wife of Zhuge Liang? cause for me she looks the most attractive female character so far.
Yeah they really made her even more attractive in this one. But according to historical records she really was not a looker but Zhuge Liang was attracted to her intellect not her looks. However there are other accounts that her so called ugliness was exaggerated by Yue Ying's father.

Top Bottom