• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 Character Reveals (Ongoing)

Guan Yinping lol

Lol. I do remember a girl character using it, but I just couldn't figure out who she was. Ah.... Well in that case this weapon change sucks for her. I don't know why I don't remember much of Yinping 🤔 besides the weapon, her character just wasn't that memorable for me.

daevious

As weird as it sounds, I'm happy Sima Yi got the fan back. He's the only character I'd be cool with having a shared (or similar enough) move set because it emphasises his rivalry with Zhuge Liang.

As weird as it sounds, I'm happy Sima Yi got the fan back. He's the only character I'd be cool with having a shared (or similar enough) move set because it emphasises his rivalry with Zhuge Liang.

I agree with this. Sima Yi having the feather fan is something I actually prefer over the horsehair whip. Sima Yi was one of my absolute favorites to use in the PS2 era DW games because of the EVIL PURPLE LASERS. Hopefully they make a return! Also, as an aside--holy shit is Sima Yi pretty in this game.

Otherwise, it's good to see Yinping, Zhou Tai and Guo Jia. Zhou Tai gets to keep his katana, but Sun Ce and Wang Yi lose their weapons? Priorities, I guess.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I wonder if Zhou Tai will end up having his weapon shared with someone else in the roster. Except for DW6, he's been clone proof, but a lot of weapons are being passed around this time.

Evilisk

I was definitely expecting Guo Jia to get a regular staff so this doesn't hurt as much, but I am gonna miss his billiards moveset. His new outfit reminds me of Jia Xu in DW8 with the purple vest/white sleeved look.

Zhou Tai doesn't seem to have a generic sword at least. The new design is a bit of a downgrade from 8 but I still think his look from 4 is the best and will never be topped so eh

I like Yinping's hair. It looks really wild. I am also happy to see that spiked club returning, and I hope this means Pang De is getting it as well. I still don't like Yinping as a character though. Actually, beyond the hair, I still don't really like her design. Maybe if she was more armored.

I am also gonna agree on Sima Yi getting the fan back. It's great to see it back.

Malrend

I'm okay with these.

Guan Yinping is meant to be a brute force type of character, and this'll do.
Zhou Tai remains Zhou Tai, so I can put my 40K heresy memes back in their folder for now.
Sima Yi needs the fan to look as pompous and fabulous as possible.
Guo Jia who?

Shanaynay

I'll miss Guo Jia's billiard moveset.

I love Yinping's look in this the wild hair really suits her, sucks that she'll most likely share moves with pang de though, i kinda like her silly weapon from 8 but that was expected.

Zhou Tai is being Zhou Tai as expected, no stupid change so that's good i'm hoping he remain unique like Lu Bu.

Sima Yi back with a fan heh? Good, i always liked the fan.

EDIT: The KOEI Europe twitter posted a picture of what i assume is an alternate costume for Ma chao. S'not bad!
DKPKGDVXkAAmG-J.jpg:large

Creaking

Josephl64

I consider this to be a transition period game, we're getting tons of clones which will be fixed with the next installment.

It's a shame, but with all these changes something had to give, and it's to be expected.

Will still get it, and it should still be fun.

Creaking

Cao Pi footage

...he's using twin swords, not a double-ended blade :(

I'm not 100% on the clone thing I heard above though. There are two bars below the character's health, one for musou and one for what I assumed was the special attack. You can see Guo Jia do a attack that resembles one of his old moves, and it drains the second bar. However, in Cao Pi's footage, he performs an attack that looks to be part of one of his combo strings, wherein he plants both blades into the ground and ice shards shoot up at the surrounding enemies. This attack drained neither the Musou bar nor the second bar, but it seemed like a very Cao Pi flavored move. I can't imagine Liu Bei or Lu Xun performing it. So maybe there's more than just the two things I mentioned.

Also, I was happy to see a few officers actually roll dodging away from the player's attack in some parts of the footage I posted. Maybe the AI won't be entirely brain dead. Well, except for the peons. There is no hope for them.

I LOVE Guan Yinping's new hair.

It's amazing.

It's also about the only positive out of all these reveals.

Everyone having cloned move-sets sucks total ass.

Wang Yi is more popular than SSX, but ends up with her leftovers.

Fucking bullshit.

Getting extreme Dynasty Warriors 6 vibes from these reveals and all of the coverage.

(YOU CAN SWIM AND CLIMB NOW! NEW SYSTEM)

This is pretty close to "Wait and see" territory instead of day 1 buy like the rest of the mainline games have been.

Creaking

Getting extreme Dynasty Warriors 6 vibes from these reveals and all of the coverage.

(YOU CAN SWIM AND CLIMB NOW! NEW SYSTEM)

This is pretty close to "Wait and see" territory instead of day 1 buy like the rest of the mainline games have been.

Yeah, them hyping up swimming is a bit weird. The other new movement stuff seems pretty all right though. Forgetting the grapple point stuff, just being able to jump off walls and up onto objects that used to be surrounded by invisible walls will go a long way into making the game less stiff. I'm also seeing dodge rolls, air dashes, and this weird speedy naruto run that you seem to be able to do to close distance really fast.

Creaking

What was his old weapon? Didn't he always had a katana?

Oh, I was just kidding. Yeah, he's always had a katana, except for in Dynasty Warriors 6 where he had a non-sheathed curved sword that shared a moveset with Xiahou Yuan and Huang Zhong.

Dargor

Oh, I was just kidding. Yeah, he's always had a katana, except for in Dynasty Warriors 6 where he had a non-sheathed curved sword that shared a moveset with Xiahou Yuan and Huang Zhong.

I see, ok then, you just made me question all of my memories for a moment...

:p

Creaking

On the subject of hair, they can give Yuan Shao his helmet back, but they can't keep the super foppish hairflip out of the game.

It saddens me. I just want him to get his beard back and stop toying with his hair. The gold is enough to tell me that this guy is a noble.

At least he looks cool in some of the screenshots.

His voice and attitude are really what will make or break the character for me.

Reknoc

I can sorta see the focus on swimming. Water is generally a barrier, or invisible wall, and DW has been a fairly strict game in terms of movement. So the ability to swim is a good way to show how open the game is.

The character reveals are constantly making me sad, they still haven't really shown anything that justifies the open world or what makes it fun. 9 is definitely shaping up to be a proof of concept game and I imagine 10 will be the one that really makes it feel complete. Just a shame I've been waiting for 9 for so long and don't want to wait until 10 happens.

Creaking

I can sorta see the focus on swimming. Water is generally a barrier, or invisible wall, and DW has been a fairly strict game in terms of movement. So the ability to swim is a good way to show how open the game is.

I guess, but the last three games have had swimming, so...

Reknoc

I guess, but the last three games have had swimming, so...

The last 3 DW or just musou games? I honestly don't remember there being any swimming in them. I just remember water being an impenetrable barrier if it went more like... shin high.

Creaking

The last 3 DW or just musou games? I honestly don't remember there being any swimming in them. I just remember water being an impenetrable barrier if it went more like... shin high.

Dynasty Warriors. They introduced swimming in 6, and it was present in 7 & 8, albeit in less prominent forms.

Dynasty-Warriors-6.jpg

Reknoc

Dynasty Warriors. They introduced swimming in 6, and it was present in 7 & 8, albeit in less prominent forms.

Dynasty-Warriors-6.jpg

Ahh okay. I played very little of 6 because it wasn't fun and kinda ugly. If it didn't show up much in 7 and 8 then that's probably why I don't remember it.

Ahh okay. I played very little of 6 because it wasn't fun and kinda ugly. If it didn't show up much in 7 and 8 then that's probably why I don't remember it.

Off the top of my head, the couple of times I remember it in 8 are in the battles of Xiapi and Fan Castle after the maps get flooded. Really not that interesting a feature, but it does let you pick off groups of swimming enemies for free if you're on horseback.

Reknoc

Off the top of my head, the couple of times I remember it in 8 are in the battles of Xiapi and Fan Castle after the maps get flooded. Really not that interesting a feature, but it does let you pick off groups of swimming enemies for free if you're on horseback.

Yeah Fan Castle would have been my first guess but I just imagined that part of the map became impassable.

Cao Pi footage

...he's using twin swords, not a double-ended blade :(

I'm not 100% on the clone thing I heard above though. There are two bars below the character's health, one for musou and one for what I assumed was the special attack. You can see Guo Jia do a attack that resembles one of his old moves, and it drains the second bar. However, in Cao Pi's footage, he performs an attack that looks to be part of one of his combo strings, wherein he plants both blades into the ground and ice shards shoot up at the surrounding enemies. This attack drained neither the Musou bar nor the second bar, but it seemed like a very Cao Pi flavored move. I can't imagine Liu Bei or Lu Xun performing it. So maybe there's more than just the two things I mentioned.

Also, I was happy to see a few officers actually roll dodging away from the player's attack in some parts of the footage I posted. Maybe the AI won't be entirely brain dead. Well, except for the peons. There is no hope for them.

I figured Cao Pi wasn't going to get his old weapon back :(

You can clearly see one move where Cao Pi transforms his swords into his older weapon, but that's not enough. Going off that footage and the moves, cloned moves are in but each character will have multiple moves that are unique to themselves. I cannot see Liu Bei or Lu Xun having ice-based moves. Liu Bei has his lightning while Lu Xun has his fire, but will their moves be similar to Cao Pi where he slams his swords down? I highly doubt it.

I'm not too happy with what I'm seeing so far. It really is this gen's DW 6 and now we have to wait a couple of years, and that's near the PS4's end of life cycle for the next iteration, to polish up this gen's Dynasty Warriors games.

Edit: from r/dynastywarriors, a Twitter link that confirms cloned move sets. The person responding is vetted (I think?) from that subreddit.

Creaking

You can clearly see one move where Cao Pi transforms his swords into his older weapon, but that's not enough. Going off that footage and the moves, cloned moves are in but each character will have multiple moves that are unique to themselves. I cannot see Liu Bei or Lu Xun having ice-based moves. Liu Bei has his lightning while Lu Xun has his fire, but will their moves be similar to Cao Pi where he slams his swords down? I highly doubt it.

Edit: from r/dynastywarriors, a Twitter link that confirms cloned move sets. The person responding is vetted (I think?) from that subreddit.

Yeah, I still think there's more to understand about the new combat system, though I fear we won't get the full, irrefutable picture until the game is in our hands.

On a more positive note, it recently occurred to me that--if the designs thus-far are anything to go by--this could be the first game since Dynasty Warriors 5 where Cao Ren doesn't look like a Starcraft space marine/Megaman cosplayer.

At the same time, he probably won't have his buckler blade, which hurts, but if they can strike something close to his DW4 or 5 outfit, I'll be at least somewhat satisfied.

It was a ridiculous design that I loved because of how ridiculous it is, lol. I'll miss it, but they can do better to convey a dude who is supposed to be a tank (they did and Creaking just showed it). I also think the Buckler will be gone. I hope he doesn't get a pole arm or a generic sword. I'm guessing he'll get a pole arm though. It's the obvious choice for someone who is supposed to be a tank.

Creaking

Some speculate that he might go back to the flail he had in Dynasty Warriors 7, just like Dong Zhuo has.

That might be an interesting choice...... I'm probably forgetting things, but do we have characters that have giant hammers? I feel like that could work, maybe.

Edit: forgot to mention this earlier - Zhang Liao Gameplay. He still looks deadly. Does everybody have a jump-dash now?

Creaking

That might be an interesting choice...... I'm probably forgetting things, but do we have characters that have giant hammers? I feel like that could work, maybe.

Edit: forgot to mention this earlier - Zhang Liao Gameplay. He still looks deadly. Does everybody have a jump-dash now?

Dong Zhuo, Xu Zhu, Meng Huo jump-dash square off. Need to see it.

I'm not against the choice though. I'd rather not avoid certain characters because they feel clunkier than others, so giving each these kinds of movement options is welcome.

Too bad no one picked Yu Jin. Curious to see if his trident is a mere skin for a more spear-like moveset, or if some of his attacks from 8XL are still in there. I imagine the whole elemental thing is scrubbed though. Too bad; it was a neat, if fairly simple, gimmick.

4Tran

I like the changes to Guan Yinping, especially since she seems to have a real weapon now. Zhang Liao looks as boss as ever. Wang Yi looks decent, but why the heck did she get Sun Shangxiang's wheels? I don't mind her sharing weapons with someone else, but it shouldn't have been the wheels. Good to see Sima Yi's fan back though, and I think that they'll try to keep Zhou Tai's katana (and make it unique) for as long as possible.

Oh man.... If we don't get to upgrade our weapons and to make them crazy OP..... People are going to get mad, lol. I don't mind the elemental effects, but the other effects needs to come back. Extra reach, extra damage, extra defense, faster attack speed, create clones to attack multiple times, etc.

Guessing each character or kingdom will have a specific element.

Kard8p3

Ma Chao da gawd.

also, how is DW8XL? I was thinking about getting it for PC but holy shit it's still 50 bucks lmao.

Creaking

Ma Chao da gawd.

also, how is DW8XL? I was thinking about getting it for PC but holy shit it's still 50 bucks lmao.

Super full of content. 82 characters and no clones. They even had additional and mostly excellent movesets as pretty reasonably priced DLC.

It and Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate were the only two warriors games I needed for the gen.

I think I heard that DW8XL for PC is based off of the PS3 version rather than the PS4 version though, so it might be lacking some of the latter's textures or visual effects.

Rather unfortunate that enemy groups are still just materializing out of thin air even when you're pretty near to them.

That instance after the siege tower lowers its ramp at 2:09 was pretty bad.

Lol, hey hey hey..... Those are the features of the game, mkay? I think they're trying to fix it, but I also think it's not that high up on their lists of things to improve upon :(

a moment right before that ramp lowers, too... there were many NPCs by that wall and they just suddenly appear at maybe barely 100 meters away.

dunno if it's what most ppl who buy the game would want, but i'd accept weaker graphics if we could just get some serious draw distance improvements to the series. it'd be a lot more epic even with sub DW8 quality graphics but genuinely hundreds of NPCs on screen in the greater distance.

maybe it's cpu related tho, so it's a false choice or trade off.... i.e. the gpu isn't taxed regardless if the textures are improved or not, but the cpu just has a draw distance bottleneck, so it's not one or the other. either way it'd be nice tho.

Evilisk

On a more positive note, it recently occurred to me that--if the designs thus-far are anything to go by--this could be the first game since Dynasty Warriors 5 where Cao Ren doesn't look like a Starcraft space marine/Megaman cosplayer.

At the same time, he probably won't have his buckler blade, which hurts, but if they can strike something close to his DW4 or 5 outfit, I'll be at least somewhat satisfied.

DW6 Cao Ren (aka Low Quality Action Figure Cao Ren) may be the worst design from 6

I actually don't mind his design from 7. Even in Warriors Orochi 3, I actually prefer using that outfit over the PS2 era costumes. That might be because of the flail moveset though (I think the look complements the weapon well; not sure if I'd feel the same if he had the buckler in that game though)

I would be okay with the flail returning to Cao Ren for 9 if it has to, but I do hope we get back to the buckler again ASAP in future titles.

At least they know not to mess around with changing Zhou Tai's weapon thank goodness.

It's probably not gonna be ONLY Zhou Tai's weapon for this game. But that's fine to be honest.

I do wonder what other character could potentially get the weapon. It's kinda hard to think up any existing character where it'd be a good fit (though I also didn't expect Wang Yi to get the chakrams, so it could be some weird, unexpected pick like that)

Reknoc

Ma Chao da gawd.

Looks like the PS3 version with higher image quality, plus I think it has waaay more enemies on screen. It also doesn't have proper controller promps so it's just like, action symbols (SW4-II has a mod that fixes that, dunno if it's the same for DW8XL).

It's a fantastic game regardless though.

Creaking

Video of Cao Pi wandering around some places. Get a bit of a look at a more desert-type environment and a settlement in Nanzhong. They look properly vast.

Man, I wish they'd sort out the starting and stopping of the movement animations. It looks so jerky and amateurish, especially after so many games.

Edit: Here's another one, up in a snowy mountainous region. You can still fall from the sky without taking damage, of course. Gets wrecked by a wild bear at the end, also shows off a bit of the game's proper lock-on function.

And some Yu Jin footage. People are saying he looks similar to Guan Yu, but the jury is still out on whether he's a clone, or if his weapon just has similar attack animations.

Top Bottom