• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: Best Zombie Game Of This Generation

Hulk_Smash

Banned

Just finished The Following DLC. What an amazing game.

Creepy at times, realistic-looking zeds, amazing atmosphere. Fun weapons and equipment. Lots of fun places to explore. Funny characters. Easy to follow story.

And I finished it co-op with a friend. I’ve never played an open world campaign co-op that was as seamless as this was. So much more fun with a friend.

Just wanted to add that the parkour+grappling hook made a world without fast travel very accessible. It never felt like a hassle to get from point a to point b (unless you were trying to climb with the grapple lol!)

Only cons: The Following had a good story, but the world wasn’t as interesting to traverse. Also, super weird you have this sand buggy but none of the other cars work?! Just doesn’t work as well.

Other than that, this game is as close to a perfect 10 as it can get.

Can’t wait for the sequel.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The base game was criminally underrated, something like 74% on Metacritic before the DLC gave it a huge bump. Awesome blend of zombies, Mirror's Edge and Diablo loot, genuinely freaky at times. Shame that the main story is pretty lackluster but the worldbuilding makes up for it.

Welcome to the club! Virals can go kick rocks though, they're the worst part of the game for me but I beat the original game, still on the DLC.

Starfield

I'd say it's DayZ even though I probably hate the developers to death and hate them for what they did with the SA meaning it could be so much more

GymWolf

No lies detected.

Still one of the most satisfying first person melee system ever.

Also the dropkick.
57c

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
How long does it take for the story to kick into gear? It felt like I was doing grindy fetch quests waiting for the story to get going, I gave up after about 10 hours or so.

Arachnid

How long does it take for the story to kick into gear? It felt like I was doing grindy fetch quests waiting for the story to get going, I gave up after about 10 hours or so.
The story was never really that good if I'm being honest. There are some legit LOL worthy side quests that are fun, but this game was pure distilled 10/10 gameplay. I could agree with it being zombie game of the generation, but my personal choice is RE2 (which honestly may be bias).

It's on my list of 50 games that I have that I am yet to even start. The backlog is real.
But its Zombies, who doesnt love Zombies.
Love Techland, but I am pissed that they didn't do Dead Island 2, and I'm even more pissed Dead Island 360 Version isnt supported for BC on Xbox one x.

Mista

Banned
Super great game especially in co-op. Has lots of fun with it but haven’t played the DLC
I got my best zombie moments with State of Decay 2. But Dying Light is really good.
Are you joking or being serious? Because if you are being serious, I don’t know how you enjoyed the whole technical garbage

I loved Dead Island but this was a miss for me. I think it's the speed of the gameplay compared to Dead Island that killed it for me, plus the much less interesting setting. It feels like it turned into a braindead hack'n'slash, while Dead Island was more methodical.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yep. Finished it 3 times with friends and you know what? Maybe I will go back to it before DL2 because this game is fucking fun and incredibly atmospheric.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i was planning get the GOTY edition PS4 Version but my library dont allow me play it.

Gonna pick it in Steam in discount.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
This is a game you don't play for the story.

Pejo

I tried liking Dying Light, but I just couldn't get into it. For me, the best zombie game that I've played is still Dead Island.

Probably because I co-op'd it with some friends, but it's still my answer.

I tried liking Dying Light, but I just couldn't get into it. For me, the best zombie game that I've played is still Dead Island.

Probably because I co-op'd it with some friends, but it's still my answer.
That's surprising. Dying Light is basically a really good version of Dead Island (which I also liked, but don't consider anywhere near as good).

MiguelItUp

That's surprising. Dying Light is basically a really good version of Dead Island (which I also liked, but don't consider anywhere near as good).
Exactly! I mean, to each their own of course, but that's wild to me. Dying Light literally feels like a better and more polished Dead Island. 🤷‍♂️

I think the parkour stuff turned me off, honestly. Maybe I should give it another shot, I haven't touched it in a year+.
I'd definitely give it a shot! The parkour stuff isn't nearly as ridiculous as it seemed IMO.

Hostile_18

Banned
Love the game. Wish it got a Pro patch as going back it seemed a bit hazy. You could tell it was a lower res... possibly because of the post processing effects.

JLB

Banned
Super great game especially in co-op. Has lots of fun with it but haven’t played the DLC

Are you joking or being serious? Because if you are being serious, I don’t know how you enjoyed the whole technical garbage

because the game is great. Original GTA was a complete technical mess, but a truly fun experience.

Mista

Banned
because the game is great. Original GTA was a complete technical mess, but a truly fun experience.
Interesting. I played 1 and 2 and couldn't have fun at all

Its amusing how different tastes really work

Reactions: JLB

Helscream

Banned
The one and only Noah Caldwell-Gervais did a great retrospective on it.

Dying Light is capable of having amazing atmosphere when you combine the parkour, combat, exploration, scavenging, and the John Carpenter like soundtrack.

However the story/narrative bits are atrocious most of the time. Techland has something truly special with Dying Light. I just hope the sequel capitalizes on what made the original so good and that Chris Avellone can create some badass narrative.

Dying Light PVP is by far the best thing about the game. It feels so satisfying when you can get a death from above kill on a hunter or drop kick kill.

Pejo

Exactly! I mean, to each their own of course, but that's wild to me. Dying Light literally feels like a better and more polished Dead Island. 🤷‍♂️

I'd definitely give it a shot! The parkour stuff isn't nearly as ridiculous as it seemed IMO.
So I re-downloaded the game over this weekend, still hate the parkour stuff, and it's hard to like the game with it being designed around parkouring your way around the city. In other co-op zombie games, I liked using vehicles to get around. I know this game has it in the DLC, but I don't think I'll make it that far. I like the idea of Dying Light, but I still have so much more fun with Dead Island.

This topic did get me to look up Dead Island 2 though, which apparently is still in the cards, though it got bounced around to its 3rd or 4th studio now, so who knows if that will ever come out. I also found out that Dead Island Riptide is a thing, which must have totally wooshed right by me when it released, so I'm going to give that a go.

GenericUser

Just finished The Following DLC. What an amazing game.

Creepy at times, realistic-looking zeds, amazing atmosphere. Fun weapons and equipment. Lots of fun places to explore. Funny characters. Easy to follow story.

And I finished it co-op with a friend. I’ve never played an open world campaign co-op that was as seamless as this was. So much more fun with a friend.

Just wanted to add that the parkour+grappling hook made a world without fast travel very accessible. It never felt like a hassle to get from point a to point b (unless you were trying to climb with the grapple lol!)

Only cons: The Following had a good story, but the world wasn’t as interesting to traverse. Also, super weird you have this fine buggy but none of the other cars work?! Just doesn’t work as well.

Other than that, this game is as close to a perfect 10 as it can get.

Can’t wait for the sequel.

I lost interest in the game once the following started. The world just seemed so much less interesting and when the addon started, I already had a healthy selection of firearms and ammo to support them. That kind of killed the melee aspect of the game for me and pretty much turned the entire game into a first person shooter. The core game though is a solid 5/5. Definitely up there with RE2 as the best zombie game of this generation and generally an excellent game on its own.

I can't believe it has only 74% on metacritic, this is absurd. Absolutely absurd. This game deservers 90+ ratings more then many of the 90%+ games on that shitty rating site!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Dying Light was a great 8.0/10 parkour zombie survival game and The Following was good (7.0/10) and really enjoyable overall. Very much looking forward to Dying Light 2 in a year or so from now.

Eimran

As someone who games for about 25 years I can say without doubt that this is the best zombie game I have ever played. Going around at night, being chased by the volatiles is thrilling.

What's even more sick is that the amazing following DLC includes a map bigger than the vanilla game.

Even their support of the game by free DLC years after its release makes me truly respect the developer.

Barakov

Gold Member
I'd have to say it's one of the best zombie games of all time. The blend of parkour, zombies and melee combat makes it very interesting. Also the support this game has seen over the last five years is phenomenal. Honestly, The Following is one of the best dlc released this gen. But its' far better than 'dlc', imo. The amount of content in that is almost a new game.

MiguelItUp

So I re-downloaded the game over this weekend, still hate the parkour stuff, and it's hard to like the game with it being designed around parkouring your way around the city. In other co-op zombie games, I liked using vehicles to get around. I know this game has it in the DLC, but I don't think I'll make it that far. I like the idea of Dying Light, but I still have so much more fun with Dead Island.

This topic did get me to look up Dead Island 2 though, which apparently is still in the cards, though it got bounced around to its 3rd or 4th studio now, so who knows if that will ever come out. I also found out that Dead Island Riptide is a thing, which must have totally wooshed right by me when it released, so I'm going to give that a go.
Hey! At least you're giving it another shot! I know what you mean though, around the period it released parkour was hot, so I thought it was annoying and shoehorned in. But after spending more time with it, it just reminded me so much of Dead Island that I looked passed it. The further I got into the game, the more I enjoyed it, honestly.

Dead Island 2 has been in developer hell for a ridiculously long amount of time. I almost want to say it's developer purgatory at this point. Because I'm really not sure what its status is for awhile. It bummed me out because one of the publishers I worked at for awhile was working with Yager for quite sometime. During our daily video calls we could periodically see Dead Island 2 concept art, and other things skewed about. One of the directors we worked with was working on the game as well. Then at one point, he was gone, and we were told the team downsized and they were primarily working on our project. Immediately I was bummed as I was like, "Welp, that doesn't bode well for both them, and Dead Island 2..."

Fortunately they're still around and doing pretty well it seems. But Dead Island 2.... I don't know. 😐

Malio

Agree with the OP. It was an exceptionally fun game and for the developer to support it for as long as they did, made it even better. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:
What were the differences between the standard and enhanced version of Dying Light? Any technical enhancements or just skins and stuff? It's on sale now so I could grab it if there are any significant upgrades.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

Two questions about your experience:

1. Did you at least get far enough in the game to get the grappling hook?

2. Did you play it with another person?

Vitter.

Reinstalled it because i've never finished it(og release, no DLCs), but what I played was great... and 2 is looking INSANELY GOOD.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
This is a game you don't play for the story.
That's too bad. The gameplay was fun but needed a little extra something, I never got hooked in my time playing it.

Pejo

Two questions about your experience:

1. Did you at least get far enough in the game to get the grappling hook?

2. Did you play it with another person?
1. Nope, didn't even know the game had one. Is it a pick-up or a quest reward or something?
2. No, that's what I'm looking for though, my gf wants to play another game with me (we both enjoyed Dead Island 1 together a few years ago), so I was looking through my steam library, and saw that I owned Dying Light and wanted to give it a shot. I wanted to make sure we both liked it before I bought her a copy though.

This has become one of my favorites of the generation. The combat is fun and the movement is even better. Love all of the exploration and settings. I didn't love the main character but the game is fun enough for me to ignore it.

Top Bottom