• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2 to Support 120Hz Refresh Rate on Xbox Series Through VRR

Vasto

Dying-Light-2-logoHD-scaled-e1617217424404-2060x983.jpg

Could Techland really have managed to craft a proper 120 FPS mode for a taxing game like Dying Light 2? As it turns out, not quite. Speaking to MP1st, Lead Level Designer Piotr Pawlaczyk clarified this will be obtained through variable refresh rate, meaning that it'll offer 'unlocked' 60 FPS rather than proper 120 FPS.

For those who, as you, appreciate smooth gameplay, we have prepared the Performance mode, which focuses on a high frame-rate (60FPS + optionally with VRR), making the experience of fast gameplay elements such as a course or combat even more smooth.
It follows that only platforms with VRR support such as Xbox Series S|X (and PC, of course) will be able to exploit these benefits, while PlayStation 5 users will have to wait for whenever Sony adds variable refresh rate to the console.

Dying Light 2 is set to launch on December 7th for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series S|X.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'm now playing Dying Light for the 4th time with friends. It's one of my favorite coop games of all time and I'm really excited for the second one. But just like CP2077, this could turn out ugly. The things they promised, the world changing based on your actions and story choices is incredibly ambitiuous for a first person coop/zombie game and I dont know if they really pulled it off.

assurdum

Banned
Great news, if that framerate can go higher than 60fps then let it run with VRR.
It's good to have options.
Uh no. If FPS stay to 70-80fps VRR won't fix it. But hearing him seem FPS stay close to 120 when you run and jump around. Switch between 70-80 FPS and 120 FPS frankly it's a terrible idea (if it's that the point of such mode). The first Dying Light did something similar on PS4 (it stay between 30 and 60 FPS) and it was really terrible to handle. Hope I have understood wrong.

It's literally impossible have a serious conversation with you, isn't it? The hell is it fun of what I'm saying? You really need of a therapist.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Uh no. If FPS stay to 70-80fps VRR won't fix it. But hearing him seem FPS stay close to 120 when you run and jump around. Switch between 70-80 FPS and 120 FPS frankly it's a terrible idea (if it's that the point of such mode). The first Dying Light did the something on PS4 between 30 and 60 FPS and it was terrible to handle. Hope I have understood wrong.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Riky

$MSFT
Me? You know how VRR works? If the game stay higher of 60 FPS but not enough close to 120 FPS, it won't fix it.
Good Lord. You can't be su stupid. Seriously.

I'm not going to explain it all to you, go and educate yourself online.
Simple answer is there is nothing to fix, 70fps is better than 60fps, 100fps is better than 60fps, 120fps is better than 60fps.
Your failure to understand with your PS4 comparison is that neither the PS4 or the TV you used had VRR, therefore it had a fixed output of 60hz, anything in between will cause judder and probably tearing.
If you have a console that supports VRR and a TV that does at 120hz you don't have those problems, it's pretty simple.

dotnotbot

Simple answer is there is nothing to fix, 70fps is better than 60fps, 100fps is better than 60fps, 120fps is better than 60fps.
Your failure to understand with your PS4 comparison is that neither the PS4 or the TV you used had VRR, therefore it had a fixed output of 60hz, anything in between will cause judder and probably tearing.
If you have a console that supports VRR and a TV that does at 120hz you don't have those problems, it's pretty simple.

You missed the point completely.

assurdum

Banned
Higher not means better. Believe whatever you want. It's useless with you.

Hugare

Uh no. If FPS stay to 70-80fps VRR won't fix it. But hearing him seem FPS stay close to 120 when you run and jump around. Switch between 70-80 FPS and 120 FPS frankly it's a terrible idea (if it's that the point of such mode). The first Dying Light did something similar on PS4 (it stay between 30 and 60 FPS) and it was really terrible to handle. Hope I have understood wrong.

It's literally impossible have a serious conversation with you, isn't it? The hell is it fun of what I'm saying? You really need of a therapist.
The first Dying Light was locked at 30 on the PS4

Dont know where you got this information

assurdum

Banned
The first Dying Light was locked at 30 on the PS4

Dont know where you got this information
No. It's 30 FPS uncapped. You can check on DF. If I'm not wrong John complained about the PS4 skip to 60 FPS in some moments. Hearing the developers seems they want to use the same "trick" on series X for 120 FPS but I could be wrong. I hope so.

Last edited:

Roberts

Lol. Sure. It's that the reason. If ps5 would have VRR FPS magically will be better with unlock 60 fps. Some of you just like warring more than discussing it seems.
It’s funny you say that as it is a Xbox news related thread where you try to prove that it sucks...to people who actually have experienced VRR.

Can’t speak for others, but I don’t go to PS threads trying to downplay, for example, Dualsense haptics and stuff, because Xbox controller doesn’t have Those features. That would be stupid and nothing more than warring.

But back to the topic: I think it is great that games have options like that. Sometime in the future they will release new consoles and it will be smooth 120, instead of locked 60.

No. It's 30 FPS uncapped. You can check on DF. If I'm not wrong John complained about the PS4 skip to 60 FPS in some moments. Hearing the developers seems they want to use the same "trick" on series X for 120 FPS but I could be wrong. I hope so.

How do you think VRR works on PC when you are not reaching the 120/144Hz of your screen ? That's exactly done in the same way, with FPS that fluctuate (for example in BFV that's my case), and that's not a real problem when using VRR, the latency is so much better than having your game capped to 60 fps. The problem you were speaking about the game that fluctuate from 30 to 60 fps was that the TV was not VRR compliant, so it created lots of issues with the base 60fps TV refresh rate. In this case with VRR and an FPS of more than 60 fps, that's not really the same thing.

Riky

$MSFT

Please stop.
Comparing a PS4 which doesn't support VRR on a game that runs at 33ms, no doubt on a fixed refresh rate display to a Series X that does support VRR on a display that supports 120hz and will output at 8.3ms.
It's not the same "trick" it's not the same experience.

Hugare

Actually watch the video that you are talking about before looking like a fool

There are frame spikes to 60, but it doesnt run unlocked. Its caused by a bug.

The game runs at 30 even on a PS5.

Zathalus

Lol. Sure. It's that the reason. If ps5 would have VRR FPS magically will be better with unlock 60 fps. Some of you just like warring more than discussing it seems.
That is literally the point of VRR and other technologies like Freesync/Gsync. Instead on console games being locked at 60FPS they can be unlocked for higher FPS, leading to a smoother experience without the issues of having the framerate being different to the refresh rate.

With VRR a fluctuating FPS of 70-90 FPS is better then a locked 60 FPS.

GymWolf

120 frames rock solid on a big open world game with decent graphic?? At what resolution? 1080p?

This sound extremely unstable and unlikely.

Or maybe is just one of those case where you have 120 frames only while looking the sky or a wall like many performance mode on old gen.

Last edited:

amigastar

What engine is Dying Light 2 running on. Self created or Unreal engine?
Edit: It seems it's Techlands own engine called C-Engine.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

120 frames rock solid on a big open world game with decent graphic?? At what resolution? 1080p?

This sound extremely unstable and unlikely.
It’s a cross gen game so it doesn’t sound that crazy that new-gen consoles can run it at 80-100 FPS or so. Add a pinch of VRR magic and you’re good.

intbal

I have an anecdote/observation to contribute to this general situation.

I have Return to Arkham for Xbox. For the Xbox One X version, the developers set the framerate to 45fps. It's not an "unlocked 30". It's specifically intended to run at 45fps (confirmation from DF video). While Digital Foundry tested the game on a 60hz panel, I'm playing it on a VRR monitor with a 40-60 range. The "frame repeat" that Tom mentions in the video doesn't happen with VRR. It will always give you the frame when it's ready. More importantly, the game isn't perfectly 45fps. The refresh rate display feature of my monitor shows that it wavers between 42-48 on a nearly constant basis. I cannot see any stuttering or inconsistencies in motion while this is happening. The game looks perfectly smooth. I have also played PUBG and Elex for One X on this monitor. Those games feature true unlocked framerate modes. And the framerates can swing wildly by huge amounts. That IS noticeable. However, it's a temporary sequence, just like frame-stuttering during non-VRR gameplay would be. During the bulk of gameplay, the framerates will stay within a narrow range above 30hz and the perception of temporal fluidity created by VRR absolutely enhances the experience.

Ultimately, an unlocked 120hz/VRR mode such as Techland plans to implement can be either good or bad. If the game stays between 60-90, with the greatest percentage of gameplay time spent between 70-80, it's literally a zero-loss situation. If the framerates are constantly like lottery numbers - 24, 91, 60, 13, 105, 39 - then the unlocked feature is not providing any benefit. At this point, we just don't know how the game will behave, so any definitive statements about this upcoming feature should be ignored.

Last edited:

chilichote

Most VRR-enabled TVs only use VRR within 45-60 and 90-120 FPS. So if the FPS of the game is within this range, great, if not, then only a very small fraction of the VRR users benefit from it at all.

The vast majority of all gamers have none of it and VRR does not magically generate 120 frames, but only adjusts the Hz of the display to the frame rate so that it is less jerky.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It’s a cross gen game so it doesn’t sound that crazy that new-gen consoles can run it at 80-100 FPS or so. Add a pinch of VRR magic and you’re good.
It's crossgen but it looks good enough to make me very skeptic.

It's not like it looks like nier automata...

Dying light also has a fuckload of enemies on screen, not exactly the lightest open world game in the market...

I mean i get it, with vrr you can unlock the framerate and still having a smooth experience, but going from a 60 unlocked framerate to 120 fps in a game like this is another thing entirely.

Last edited:

Hugare

It's crossgen but it looks good enough to make me very skeptic.

It's not like it looks like nier automata...

Dying light also has a fuckload of enemies on screen, not exactly the lightest open world game in the market...

I mean i get it, with vrr you can unlock the framerate and still having a smooth experience, but going from a 60 unlocked framerate to 120 fps in a game like this is another thing entirely.
Maybe it will run at ~ 1080p?

Metro Exodus runs at 60 / 1080p on Series X with GI Ray Tracing.

So I see 120 fps being possible with lower resolutions

GymWolf

Maybe it will run at ~ 1080p?

Metro Exodus runs at 60 / 1080p on Series X with GI Ray Tracing.

So I see 120 fps being possible with lower resolutions
Yeah, i asked at what resolution in my first post.

1080p sounds probable for a 120 frame mode.

Neo_game

IMO if the game runs around 70-80fps then obviously the game is not been optimized for consoles. It means they left lot on the table, may be they should up the texture, shadow quality etc instead and make sure it runs at locked 60.

Last edited:
Top Bottom