• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2 - "The Reason" - Gameplay Trailer

Arachnid

Fantastic trailer. It's labeled "gameplay trailer", but it explains the story too. I like the set up. We'll see if they pull it off narratively. That said, I'm in this game for the gameplay so even if the story tanks, I'll probably love this. The first was the best zombie game ever made IMO (with only RE as competition since I'm a survival horror nut). Day 1 (provided reviews are positive; never preorder ladies and gents).

The release date is Feb 4, 2022.

fatmarco

It's a shame this game doesn't look as good visually as it could have.

Seems almost archaic at this point for a AAA. especially compared to the state Dying Light 1 released in, which looked incredible for its time..

Still looking forward to it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I am STRUGGLING to finish the first one. The story is just so whatever and while killing zombies in style is fun, you're not really incentivized to do so with the scarcity of items. Roughly halfway through the story according to the game and I'm sure I'll finish before February, but boy did I wish there was more to the game than there is.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I really hope this runs and plays well on PS5.

Btw, where the hell is dying light 60fps patch?

intbal

"I wish Crane could have seen this."

So...

They're going with the "Crane got infected and escaped into the world" ending of Dying Light. Because nobody would say such a thing unless they had met Crane. And if they had used the other ending, all those people got nuked. So nobody from Harran would be alive to say it.

Makes sense, given the apparent state of the world.

R6Rider

Gold Member
"I wish Crane could have seen this."

So...

They're going with the "Crane got infected and escaped into the world" ending of Dying Light. Because nobody would say such a thing unless they had met Crane. And if they had used the other ending, all those people got nuked. So nobody from Harran would be alive to say it.

Makes sense, given the apparent state of the world.
That ending is canon, while other is not.

Can anybody tell me how the coop works in this game? Is it full campaign coop or like Far Cry where the guest doesn't make any progress? Cheers

sircaw

Banned
Very good trailer and some of the dismemberments in those clips are fantastically satisfying and no i am not a serial killer fs. :messenger_grinning: "lollipop_disappointed:

Also liked the music, whatever that was.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
The game has some of the best gore of last gen, very underrated, same for shadow warrior 2.
i was a huge fan of the original shadow warrior, like 20+ years ago, the first ones of these remakes was ok but i must admit i got extremely bored by the end of the game, i never ended finishing it.

skipped the second one due to fear of it being like the first.

GymWolf

i was a huge fan of the original shadow warrior, like 20+ years ago, the first ones of these remakes was ok but i must admit i got extremely bored by the end of the game, i never ended finishing it.

skipped the second one due to fear of it being like the first.
The second one is much better and more varied, i got bored by the first one but finished the second one.

But the rpg part increased aswell, a thing that not everyone liked.

Last edited:

Vindicator

Might play when it's cheap, really liked Dead Island which was a real shocker compared to rather funny stuff like Dead Rising.
Dying Light with WB in the back had more of a blockbuster approach, bigger, better maybe trying too hard, had some fun nonetheless with the Following DLC as well.

I am STRUGGLING to finish the first one. The story is just so whatever and while killing zombies in style is fun, you're not really incentivized to do so with the scarcity of items. Roughly halfway through the story according to the game and I'm sure I'll finish before February, but boy did I wish there was more to the game than there is.
Skip it. Dying Light 2 takes place 8 years after in a new city.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
For some reason I expected to hear the Hoobastank song in the trailer

Came here to say this. Was dreading a "dark, slowed down, stripped back cover" of fucking Hoobastank for a second there.

raul3d

Very good trailer and some of the dismemberments in those clips are fantastically satisfying and no i am not a serial killer fs. :messenger_grinning: "lollipop_disappointed:

Also liked the music, whatever that was.
Yea.. and that's probably the reason why it is removed from the special cut german version.. :messenger_weary:

Ammogeddon

I enjoyed the first one but not enough to finish it.

This is looking good, I’ll probably get it and not finish it too.

Do I need to know the story of the first one to understand what is going on here?

No one played Dying Light 2, how would we know if the story connects? based on all the footage, you do not, but you'be a sucker not to play one of the best coop zombie games ever made, even if you want to solo it.

Warablo

Have you got into the 2nd part of the city? I was in shock. I did not expect another map.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Have you got into the 2nd part of the city? I was in shock. I did not expect another map.

Yeah and it was just more "keep chasing after this chick. . ." stuff. The world design is really top notch, but at this point I'm just roof leaping from waypoint to waypoint and not really engaging with the zombies, and when I do I just molotov or shoot them with all the guns. I'm also sick of lockpicking (and from the videos I've seen it is back and unchanged in 2) or sidequests that reward me with Blueprints I already have. And the respawn rate of zombies ("Oh, another one is crawling out from under that car. . .how many of you are under there? Is this a clown car?!"). And how finicky the parkour can be ("Why can't I grab this ledge as I'm falling?! Why can't I use the hook reliably to zip back up!").

. . .honestly, all this would be fine if the combat itself was actually more varied. To me, it just isn't and isn't looking like it has changed that much from the videos I've seen; like there's no reason to go in and clear with a molotov or a whirldwind (which can be satisfying) because you're just going to get virals or more spawns in less than a minute.

The world building though looks on an even greater level than the first game.

Top Bottom