• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human |OT| Hey GAF, wanna play a parkour game?

Ulysses 31

Finished the game.

I completed all side quests and side content other than doing every single combat and parkour challenge.

Got all inhibitors. Maxed all my skills. Etc.

I loved it so much and put in almost 250 hours. But the AWFUL ENDING (even tho I got the best one) just soured me on the whole fucking thing.

I’ve always heard about this and have never had it happen to me. Hell I didn’t even mind Mass Effect 3’s ending. But fuck this was on a whole new level of crap.

I used my GameStop Canada game guanrtee to trade it 1:1 for Horizon 2.

I’ll pick it up again maybe in the future. Fuck that ending.
quote-its-the-not-the-destination-it-s-the-journey-ralph-waldo-emerson-51-44-07.jpg

Finished the game.

I completed all side quests and side content other than doing every single combat and parkour challenge.

Got all inhibitors. Maxed all my skills. Etc.

I loved it so much and put in almost 250 hours. But the AWFUL ENDING (even tho I got the best one) just soured me on the whole fucking thing.

I’ve always heard about this and have never had it happen to me. Hell I didn’t even mind Mass Effect 3’s ending. But fuck this was on a whole new level of crap.

I used my GameStop Canada game guanrtee to trade it 1:1 for Horizon 2.

I’ll pick it up again maybe in the future. Fuck that ending.

Is there any real reason to be doing all side quests? They're starting to get tedious.

Is there any real reason to be doing all side quests? They're starting to get tedious.

Some are decently written and fun. Many are just attached to the various challenges and are annoying.

If you’re higher than level 6 there is no point reward wise as it’s all gonna be low tier crap. The only reason is if you want to max your combat and parkour level to get enough skill points for all the skills.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, the bugs in this game are killing me.

I'm unable to activate the Ash windmill for no reason. Anyone else ran into this issue ?

edit: Worked after killing some enemies four buildings away prompting an unmarked objective marker to activate the windmill.

Last edited:

gamer82

The performace of this is killing me, im stopping till they iron it out. 4k on ps5 is unplayable. Even on perfomanceni have had tearing blurrniess even with all the settings off and i dont know if game design sometimes i find movement to fast. I have also noticed my weapon rewards disapear.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
On XSX I still have black pointy textures coming out of NPCs and huge black rectangles in the world when I'm on rooftops.
Fuck this I'm out until it's fixed.

assurdum

Banned
The performace of this is killing me, im stopping till they iron it out. 4k on ps5 is unplayable. Even on perfomanceni have had tearing blurrniess even with all the settings off and i dont know if game design sometimes i find movement to fast. I have also noticed my weapon rewards disapear.
If you have a TV with good upscaling setting blurriness is fixable. I have maxed out Reality Creation on my Bravia and the vaseline effect is completely gone. I agree tearing is annoying but honestly is quite occasional like many Ubisoft games in 60 FPS mode and enough tolerable. The real thing inexcusable is why Sony didn't updated yet VRR on ps5 when they did on Bravia from November, the fuck they are waiting for.

Last edited:

intbal

On XSX I still have black pointy textures coming out of NPCs and huge black rectangles in the world when I'm on rooftops.
Fuck this I'm out until it's fixed.
The Enhanced Edition of Dying Light came out twelve months and nine days after the original release. They saved up most of the fixes and patches for that release.
I don't think Techland likes fixing or improving their games for free.
Even though Dying Light was probably my favorite game of the last decade, I don't think I'll be buying this one until it gets an enhanced re-release of some sort.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Man, the bugs in this game are killing me.

I'm unable to activate the Ash windmill for no reason. Anyone else ran into this issue ?

edit: Worked after killing some enemies four buildings away prompting an unmarked objective marker to activate the windmill.

It's kinda funny but I've played the PC version for more than 60 hours and the only thing I've noticed is that the game sometimes fail to switch between keyboard and controller prompts in the UI.. Everything else has been smooth sailing, not a bug in sight. Maybe I've been very lucky, IDK.

adamsapple

It's kinda funny but I've played the PC version for more than 60 hours and the only thing I've noticed is that the game sometimes fail to switch between keyboard and controller prompts in the UI.. Everything else has been smooth sailing, not a bug in sight. Maybe I've been very lucky, IDK.

That's very lucky.

I keep running into this issue where the audio in the game cuts out into weird static noises and I have no other option but to restart the game to fix it. Doing a quick google shows it's a very common issue.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Don't know if I'll be able to finish this. The game really triggers my motion sickness. More than maybe any game I've ever played. It's like it was purposely designed to with the fucking SHAKY CAM IN EVERY FUCKING PART. My fucking god. There are some parts where it's like they designed it out of spite. Like Aiden will talk with someone and before you regain control of him, he'll look left, look right, look up, look front... and then you gain control of him finally! Meanwhile I have to fucking look away from the screen as I feel like I'm going to vomit.

I'm really prone to motion sickness, but have been dealing with some vertigo issues lately and it's really triggered it. Did the Broadcast mission last night and on the rooftops with Rosario Dawson I started to gag and had to turn it off.

Last edited:
Finished it in coop. The first game was a 8-9 out of 10 and one of the best coop games ever made, the second game is a 6ish out of 10. The technical issues and not just bugs, but graphically speaking, and the levels and overall, just very poor. Every store, every quarantine zone, every interior is copy pasted with minor differences over and over and over. The exteriors are fine tho. Not sure how much the choices in the story matter but I guess thats the only plus I can give it compared to the first. Side quests were boring as shit even if they had more, dialogue and whatnot. Polish devs have really gone downhill.

adamsapple

Finished the game, I wanted to like the game a lot more than I ended up doing. Kept running into weird issues like sound fucking up, bosses jumping and floating inside environmental things making me restart encounters, bunch of my already completed camp sites and even some quests keep getting restarted even after I cleared them.

This will be a much more competent game after another patch or two maybe.

6/10

That being said, I've put up my copy for sale on the marketplace section if anyone wants to get it for a low price (y)

Last edited:
Yeah super fun to run around, but soo much copy paste and the "twist" was dumb.

The choices do end up mattering in the end though which is a big plus I can give it. Coop and traversal once again make the game

I wanted to get all the power and windmills and such but 3 bugged in a row so I might hop back in for dlc

whyman

Loved the game but that ending was absolute trash. What was the thinking? Why would I want to buy any DLC now?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm starting to really hate this game, and I honestly enjoyed Dying Light 1 more. Aiden is one of the most whiny, annoying, pathetic protags in recent memory. Always whining and crying about something. He just sounds so pathetic whenever he talks. And every single time he's about to do something cool he has a spaz out. The writers couldn't think of something else other than to go back to that well like 10 times over? FFS man. Just started ignoring the side content and burning through the main missions so I can be done with it.

I'm starting to really hate this game, and I honestly enjoyed Dying Light 1 more. Aiden is one of the most whiny, annoying, pathetic protags in recent memory. Always whining and crying about something. He just sounds so pathetic whenever he talks. And every single time he's about to do something cool he has a spaz out. The writers couldn't think of something else other than to go back to that well like 10 times over? FFS man. Just started ignoring the side content and burning through the main missions so I can be done with it.

Do you notice that Aiden always sounds so bitchy? He always has this strangely out of place asshole tone whenever he is talking.

Regardless, I dunno..this game is irritating me a bit now. The second map basically destroys any parkour traversal, it's annoying having to rely on your shitty hang glider. The characters are terrible and I've reached the point where I just ram circle whenever anyone is talking because most of the time it's so boring and makes no sense. The story and character dialogue is so disjointed.

I might abandon this and start Cyberpunk.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Do you notice that Aiden always sounds so bitchy? He always has this strangely out of place asshole tone whenever he is talking.

Regardless, I dunno..this game is irritating me a bit now. The second map basically destroys any parkour traversal, it's annoying having to rely on your shitty hang glider. The characters are terrible and I've reached the point where I just ram circle whenever anyone is talking because most of the time it's so boring and makes no sense. The story and character dialogue is so disjointed.

I might abandon this and start Cyberpunk.
Yes, that's what I ended up doing. I just blew through it and finished it. It was giving me terrible motion sickness, you're right the parkour in the high rise areas was significantly worse, and Aiden is the most whiny bitchy character in a long time. I couldn't stand him. I didn't like the game very much. Visually it was really well done, but gameplay wise... meh. Some people think taking guns away made it better, I don't. I also think it relied too heavily on parkour. I liked 1 better where it was far more balanced between survival and less parkour. It just felt like a more grounded game and I was far more relaxed playing it. I found it a more enjoyable experience.

Finished the story last night and holy fuck. I cannot believe that they made the story somehow worse than DL1.

I could not care less about any of these characters or their struggles. In fact, the story and its missions are the worst aspect of this game. If there is any sign of the development hell and studio problems that we all heard about, its definitely in the story and set piece moments.

The last boss was the strangest designed and jankiest boss fight in recent memory. Then most of your decisions get boiled down to text after the bizarre finale.

I still like the game. Messing around in the open world and some of the side quests are pretty good but the main story is a boat anchor dragging down the rest of the experience.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I also think it relied too heavily on parkour. I liked 1 better where it was far more balanced between survival and less parkour. It just felt like a more grounded game and I was far more relaxed playing it. I found it a more enjoyable experience.
Yeah I agree here, somehow I just enjoyed the first game a lot more.

Anyway I put this down when Forbidden West came out and who knows if I'll ever get back to it.

Romulus

Seems this game is pretty much irrelevant by now. Not completely terrible but a disappointment after all the years of development. A buggy, inconsistent mess that is a shadow of the first game.

Hugare

Seems this game is pretty much irrelevant by now. Not completely terrible but a disappointment after all the years of development. A buggy, inconsistent mess that is a shadow of the first game.
This is not a GAAS game. You play it, you finish it, and leave it.

It's natural to move on.

It's been almost 2 months now from release. Game got good scores, sold really well ...

It sold much more than the first game already, was much more ambitious and reviewed better than the first game. "Shadow of the first game", maybe for some.

Besides, one of the most well reviewed game of all time was released few weeks ago, shaking the whole internet.

Even Horizon is already forgotten

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Im really enjoying the game in Co op with my bud, we can't wait to get back to it after Elden Ring and see how the patches are. Games pretty good imo.

For me it came nowhere near the impact the first game had. Quite a few design choices irritated me, the overreliance on the glider in the second half of the game especially. Completely destroyed any sort of exciting parkour traversal. Whereas night in the first game was a legitimate threat filled with a dark, intense atmosphere, night in this game feels like a palette swap with x3 enemies outside. It's even far brighter than the first game, the atmosphere is totally ruined.

Behind that who gave a shit about these characters. Or the story. Or anything. The typical euro jank is alive and well of course. And what's the deal with having a conversation with someone, they finish up and just.....disappear. you'll be okna rooftop talking to someone and they just disappear. It's so dumb.

I got right close to finishing it and didn't. Burned me out. It started out quite strong, but turned into a boring slog. Unfortunate.

Mossybrew

Between Forbidden Ring and Elden West I literally forgot I even had this game installed. Never finished, probly go back to it at some point when I'm bored but yeah, overall it was something of a disappointment.

Romulus

This is not a GAAS game. You play it, you finish it, and leave it.

It's natural to move on.

It's been almost 2 months now from release. Game got good scores, sold really well ...

It sold much more than the first game already, was much more ambitious and reviewed better than the first game. "Shadow of the first game", maybe for some.

Besides, one of the most well reviewed game of all time was released few weeks ago, shaking the whole internet.

Even Horizon is already forgotten

Selling better than the first game? Wasn't the first game released on PS4 and Xbox one in their infancy? Now their sales are what, 5x more not to mention PS5 and XS?

adamsapple

A lot of other high profile games releasing very soon after it probably didn't help.

But I had a great time playing the game, I enjoyed it a lot more than what I remember of the first game.

Hugare

Selling better than the first game? Wasn't the first game released on PS4 and Xbox one in their infancy? Now their sales are what, 5x more not to mention PS5 and XS?
How this contradicts what I'm saying?

"On its launch, Dying Light 2 saw 160,202 concurrent players on Steam (via Benji Sales). To put this into perspective, that is 3.5 times that of Dying Light 1's all-time peak, and 50 percent bigger than that of Capcom's Resident Evil Village"

DL 2 sold tons, reviews were positive (critics and players), so I'm pretty sure that Techland is really pleased about how it performed

Romulus

How this contradicts what I'm saying?

"On its launch, Dying Light 2 saw 160,202 concurrent players on Steam (via Benji Sales). To put this into perspective, that is 3.5 times that of Dying Light 1's all-time peak, and 50 percent bigger than that of Capcom's Resident Evil Village"

DL 2 sold tons, reviews were positive (critics and players), so I'm pretty sure that Techland is really pleased about how it performed

Steam has also grown considerably in that time. In short, the install base of consoles is massively larger, as is steam. There were only 2 consoles you could buy the game on and they were new. Now theres 4, and the install base is gigantic by comparison. I would hope it improved drastically over a steam concurrent stat that old, especially with half a decade of hype. The reality is its a buggy mess on many fronts that techland is trying to address, after a very long development period.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the launch trailer for Dying Light 2's Bloody Ties DLC, featuring a new story adventure, new weapon types, and more. Dying Light 2: Bloody Ties DLC is available now.

In Bloody Ties, players will embark on a new story adventure, you will reach the epicenter of death, wealth, and absolute splendor in a stunning location; The Carnage Hall. This old opera building is full of challenges and quests, surprising new weapon types, character interactions, and discoveries to uncover.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
game is on sale right meow.. 30 ish

i have an ultrawide with a 3080.

and a steam deck.

should i go for it?
how dem gfx?

Osthyvel

Ok, so i really love the first game, actually i think its one of the best zombie/survive/horror game made, absolutely 10/10.

Will i like DL2?

Top Bottom