• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human |OT| Hey GAF, wanna play a parkour game?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm ~8 hours in... does this game get any better? It's kind of boring with terrible story and voice acting. I'm feeling like giving up.

south park omg GIF by Comedy Central

Edit: just tested it, so much smoother. Definitely hovers between 80 and 100 pretty much the entire time.

Last edited:
I took a few screenshots that do a decent job showing off the raytraced shadows..

No raytracing..

17ee70297bb79-screenshot-Url.jpg

With raytracing..

17ee702f99181-screenshot-Url.jpg

Overall a much more natural look to shadows. I still switch around modes but always end up coming back to quality. It just looks so much better, though resolution mode is tempting..

Last edited:
seems like the patches have greatly improved the experience on the xsx

this worth picking up for the full sticker price? never played dying light 1

also, how does co-op work? can it pair you with randoms if you don't have any friends with the game?

Warablo

seems like the patches have greatly improved the experience on the xsx

this worth picking up for the full sticker price? never played dying light 1

also, how does co-op work? can it pair you with randoms if you don't have any friends with the game?
You answer distress calls, or call distress calls or just join from one of the menus, but only the host gets progress in the story. You get items and experience and quest rewards and stuff, but your own story won't progress unless you are the host.

You answer distress calls, or call distress calls or just join from one of the menus, but only the host gets progress in the story. You get items and experience and quest rewards and stuff, but your own story won't progress unless you are the host.
that's cool, does experience and loot scale?

is loot instanced?

Last edited:
Right, so if there's that much headroom at 1080p then we should be able to get a res boost in performance mode. Break the VRR mode out into performance plus and keep it at 1080. I am ready to buy if they're ready to act.
yeah I'm still very torn.

you can get xsx CD keys or ~$45 so that makes it somewhat tempting.

might be a fun way to kill time until Elden Ring

decisions decisions

Last edited:
This game is still very janky. The voiced dialogues and subtitles aren't working properly so you're just staring at cutscenes where you have no idea what people are saying.

DeaDPo0L84

The crossbow allows you to make volatiles your bitch.

Also there's a mod that allows you to swap out Rosario Dawson's character with a different side quest character cause certain people can't stand her character model. Some even went further and straight up replaced her with a volatile lol.

Hugare

Anyone complaining about voice acting/dialogue should play Metro Exodus

I bought it on the PS5, tried playing it 3 times, but droped due to the terrible voice acting and dialogue. Tried it again today, and nope, still ass.

It may be the worst acted and written western videogame that I've ever played.

Makes DL 2 look like its being acted by Oscar winners and written by Aaron Sorkin

Anyway, glad to see the "blinking" gone from the PS5 version. Didnt bother me so much, but the image is much more stable now.

Can any chris avellone fans comment on the story? I was pumped to see him involved but I've only heard "meh" things. Maybe these people aren't fans of his?

What's up GAF?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have there been any impressions on the Series version after today's patch that unlocks the 60+ FPS and VRR ?

edit: I see that one tweet above.

Fuck me, if there's head room for 100+ FPS at 1080p, just give me a dynamic 1440p at 60 FPS and make me happy Techland.

Last edited:
I need to try and finish this before horizon and elden ring drop. How far am i? I just
got the UV lamps and an waiting for a call from matt

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I'm now 54 hours in, still absolutely in love with the game. I'm doing every single side quest, often do the dynamic events I come across. I'm enjoying a lot of these side missions in particular, there is a very real, human pathos to many of them, the Book Club and Carrier questlines are multitiered and perfectly reflect this.

The big, main story missions with scripted set-piece moments are some of the coolest sequences I've experienced in a while, the entire Broadcast mission from top to bottom is spectacular. Though I'd agree voice acting can be hit or miss the VA of most of the main characters (Lawan, Matt Jack, Dodger, Hakon and many more) is amongst the best in the biz.

Downloaded the patch, no more black flicker!

Last edited:
Anyone complaining about voice acting/dialogue should play Metro Exodus

I bought it on the PS5, tried playing it 3 times, but droped due to the terrible voice acting and dialogue. Tried it again today, and nope, still ass.

It may be the worst acted and written western videogame that I've ever played.

Makes DL 2 look like its being acted by Oscar winners and written by Aaron Sorkin

Anyway, glad to see the "blinking" gone from the PS5 version. Didnt bother me so much, but the image is much more stable now.

Agree Metro Exodus is horrible for many reasons, voice acting being one of them.

Kacho

Gold Member
Beat it today at 49 hours clocked. Still tons left to do in the post game.

The story is fine until the end when it just keeps going and going. Doesn’t help that the story is cringe eurotale nonsense lol.

Gameplay saves the whole package. Eager to play the loads of DLC that will inevitably come.

33.3 hours in, first zone completely discovered and all side missions completed. Just did a couple missions jn next zone, love the glider especially after upgrading it to boost. Moving around the world is amazing and combat is fun with a variety of options but the zombies are pretty lacking in a few ways. Co op once again elevates it though and I do enjoy seeing the results of my aiding of the survivors.

Downloading it, even if the story sucks I think based on the videos I watched I should have fun just exploring

I’m a sucker for open world games so I think me getting this was inevitable

Was going to wait but the newest patch for xsx made me pull the trigger

90-110 fps I can work with

60FPS+ mode now enabled on Series X.
Who's going to be the first Youtuber to give us a framecount?
Or maybe a Gaffer?

Considering the game runs at 1080p, I have to imagine that the framerate range is around 75-90fps.
PS5 could do this, too, if they would just enable VRR and forget about their stupid TVs.
It hovers around the 90s by the looks of it on my tv

Warablo

The crossbow allows you to make volatiles your bitch.

Also there's a mod that allows you to swap out Rosario Dawson's character with a different side quest character cause certain people can't stand her character model. Some even went further and straight up replaced her with a volatile lol.
I thought I wouldn't like her character, but I'm surprised I like her so far.

assurdum

Banned
I think 80-120fps at 1080p is an acceptable trade off if you're really tempted. I can't accept a 1080p 60 lock which is why I haven't purchased yet (PS5) but if I'm given the choice of FPS above 60 I always go with that option.

So if I were you I would go for it.
I don't know. 60 FPS was already enough. The only game changer in this game would be a decent IQ at 60 FPS not just uncapped it. The blurriness it's really awful in a 4k TV.

Last edited:

Forsete

🚨 Attention all FSR users. 🚨

Use this edit to get a better image quality.

In order to enable AMD FSR Ultra Quality, you’ll have to follow this guide.

Open the video.scr file that is located at Documents/dying light 2/out/settings. Then, use the following settings. Once you make these changes, save the file, make it “Read Only”, and then launch the game.

• Scale3D (0.77)
  • FSR (1.000000)
  • Upscaler (3)
  • Upscaling (3)

Forsete

Wait why they made intentionally FSR look worse?
Apparently due to nVidia, well at least in the mind of that Ubisoft dev.

Someone else claims AMD does the same by forbidding developers from implementing DLSS in games that they sponsor.

Scummy behaviour from both parties IMO.
Just give us FSR/DLSS/that-new-Intel-tech in all games PLZ.

Certinty

This is my kind of “RPG”. The RPG elements are there if you want them to be but if not you can play it like an action adventure game with minimal caring about the RPG-like elements.

Antwix

I'm ~8 hours in... does this game get any better? It's kind of boring with terrible story and voice acting. I'm feeling like giving up.
I really enjoyed the story although it's not some award winning masterpiece but I thought the first 1/3 of the game was pretty slow. It does get better imo but that's subjective of course. Do you like the gameplay, combat, and parkour at least? Once you get the 2nd part of the city unlocked along with the paraglider it really does get better. Plus as you progress you get new skills/abilities/upgrades that make the gameplay much better as well.

J3nga

Finished the game. Overall I enjoyed the game, some dialogues are really WTF? You even question how someone in their right mind wrote that. I thought the story was fine and worked and kept me interested up until the epilogue came... Then I realised the whole plot makes no sense, has bazillion holes in it and I can't shake off the feeling that a massive chunk of explanation has been ripped off.
Why Aiden forgot everything but remembers about Waltz and Mia? Because.
Why wouldn't Waltz just tell him why he needs the GRE key and he tries to save Mia? Again, because..
Why would he try to kill Aiden instead explaining?
Why does he want to launch missiles on the city? because of because.
How did Hakon save Lawan if explosives have had to be detonated manually, wouldn't that make 2 casualties?

I got a good ending where Aiden leaves Villedor with Lawan but still ending and motivations are uber shit IMO. They probably fired Avellone and forgot that he didn't finish the script and realised after the game has been released.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Finished the game. Overall I enjoyed the game, some dialogues are really WTF? You even question how someone in their right mind wrote that. I thought the story was fine and worked and kept me interested up until the epilogue came... Then I realised the whole plot makes no sense, has bazillion holes in it and I can't shake off the feeling that a massive chunk of explanation has been ripped off.
Why Aiden forgot everything but remembers about Waltz and Mia? Because.
Why wouldn't Waltz just tell him why he needs the GRE key and he tries to save Mia? Again, because..
Why would he try to kill Aiden instead explaining?
Why does he want to launch missiles on the city? because of because.
How did Hakon save Lawan if explosives have had to be detonated manually, wouldn't that make 2 casualties?

I got a good ending where Aiden leaves Villedor with Lawan but still ending and motivations are uber shit IMO. They probably fired Avellone and forgot that he didn't finish the script and realised after the game has been released.

Yeah I actually really like the story overall but the epilogue is completely inane and almost nothing in it made any sense.

Top Bottom