• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human |OT| Hey GAF, wanna play a parkour game?

.Pennywise

Banned
2lt5mcd.jpg

s9lGuSE.png

LLkadPS.png

wXDj3OQ.png

HyA3GXn.png

wbsDKo7.png

1GLtqAA.png

2LRMFzP.png

vJXkbMu.png

YIhZtlO.png

VIXJR9i.png

gTdgI4o.jpg

Vp3EoMc.png

HbtWgqT.png

PdxBT0z.png

• Do I need to play the first one to get into this sequel?
    No. Dying Light 2: Stay Human's story is set 15 years after the original game and the protagonist is a different character. However, it's always commendable to play it.
  • Does the game have cross-play?
    Not at launch. Devs said they are working to bring cross-play between platforms. However, it's possible to play between PC platforms (Steam/Epic). NOTE: the game also does not support cross-gen play (ie. PS4/PS5) at launch.
  • How does co-op work?
    You will be able to party with up to other 3 players for a total of 4 player co-op. The world will be affected and changed by how the host advanced on his story. All party members can vote on key decisions while playing the story, however the final choice will be up to the host. If you join a friend's game, all character progression and items earned will follow you back to your own game after the co-op session has ended.
  • Will I have upgrade options if I buy the game in last gen?
    Yes, if you buy the game on PS4 you can upgrade your game for PS5 at no aditional cost. Dying Light 2: Stay Human also supports Xbox Smart Delivery, which means you can also upgrade an Xbox One copy for and Xbox Series S|X at no aditional cost either.

SXRnL4n.png

pqueue

I have watched TetrNinja played about 3 hours of this, and I am very disappointed.

The player character is an angry unlikeable POS
There are so many flashbacks, and they are ALL done poorly
The acting by many of the second tier NPCs is outright bad.
GFX are OK, not amazing

still going to play it, but much less enthused.

I have watched TetrNinja played about 3 hours of this, and I am very disappointed.

The player character is an angry unlikeable POS
There are so many flashbacks, and they are ALL done poorly
The acting by many of the second tier NPCs is outright bad.
GFX are OK, not amazing

still going to play it, but much less enthused.
Sounds like they should have made Chris Avellone the lead writer/lead designer for the game.

MaKTaiL

Great OT! Can't wait to play it. DL1 is my all time favorite game from past gen (I have 660hs of playtime with it) and it seems DL2 is an improvement on all fronts (yes, even the story a little bit) so I'm pretty excited.

I decided to get the Ultimate Edition. Skill Up and ACG reviews got me even more hyped! Good night and good luck everyone. 😉

rubhen925

Ok got a review copy of the game. Played on PS5, and now PC. Here's some of my impressions.

- Ran the PS5 version on Performance mode. Game still had plenty of fps drops, black stutters during cutscenes and gameplay, and insane screen tears. Especially in cutscenes.
- Loading time to get into game from main menu was like 5-10 seconds depending on the situation.
- fast travelling was almost instant.
- game's story is glacial. Almost put me to sleep the first 4-5 hours. Then it started picking up and I enjoyed it a lot
- Remember when you found modded weapons in the first game, well I didn't find a single modded weapon in boxes in 34 hours of play. Took me 34 hours for story along with some major side stuff
- you have to craft all modded weapons.
- also no guns, just a bow. So another weapon cut from the game
- movement in the game and combat to a certain degree is floaty and has lost it's punchiness from the first game. Idk It felt off.
- you're infected (it was in the trailer and their interviews. Public knowledge). There are moments when you go insane. Happens conveniently whenever Aiden is in danger. Just throws you off the game. Super unbelievable
- When ever you go insane you have these eyes closing into black screen moments. Seen way too many of them, and its fricking a waste of time
- happens a shit ton in the final mission. Speaking of final mission. Final boss is the worst final boss I've seen in a while. Won't ruin it or spoil it but all the boss does is slam attacks that knock you on your ass. Complete trash.
- Most bosses in the game are the same type as well. so yay. You get knocked on your ass the game.
- Not many new zombie types from the first game. One or two more which are modified versions of volatiles and bloaters.
- the movement around the city and parkour was great. Along with the para glider. those were my favourite moments. But the climbing sometimes get stuck and you tend to fall down and die. Happens a lot
- Glitches, bugs galore. There are many moments where the enemies you fight get stuck into things or in between walls and structures. Reload the damn game.
- No manual saves either. Checkpoints can be anywhere random from 5 mins to 20 mins. Who thought an open world game with no manual checkpoints was a good idea. 6 years they be working on it, not one dev thought about it?
- PC version is buggier than PS5 version. WOW what is going on with that. My 3090 ran it at 4K 60 fine without DLS on. But there are frequent fps drops from 60 to 55-52 range. I haven't noticed below that so far.

Yea there's a big open world but most of the side content is clearing map style stuff and collecting shit. The side missions are amazing. Some side missions are actually way better than the story itself.

I'm torn with this game. stuck between a 7-8. The game is poorly optimized and bugs everywhere that ruin your experience. Top that with a inconsistent story pacing and some really odd design choices, idk.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Fantastic OT.

Seems like it's a game to play down the road, it's a bugfest in its current state.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
- Ran the PS5 version on Performance mode. Game still had plenty of fps drops, black stutters during cutscenes and gameplay, and insane screen tears. Especially in cutscenes.

- you're infected (it was in the trailer and their interviews. Public knowledge). There are moments when you go insane. Happens conveniently whenever Aiden is in danger. Just throws you off the game. Super unbelievable

Not gonna go over all those points because they are a bit too spoilery for my tastes, but to the first you're seeing stuff that DF and others haven't so would be interesting to get some video of this. To the second, this isn't much different than the first game (and it wasn't particularly jarring then, albeit a bit rote as a narrative tool).

Stuart360

Been watching CohhCarnage play the game and it looks like more of the same, which is a good thing imo, loved the first game.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Again with the non-crossplay coop nonsense.. I bought two copies, PC and XSX, but can't play coop with my son. That kinda sucks. With that said, loved the first game and can't wait to play #2!

Last edited:
Again with the non-crossplay coop nonsense.. I bought two copies, PC and XSX, but can't play coop with my son. That kinda sucks. With that said, loved the first game and can't wait to play #2!
This is why you research before purchasing. I'm specifically getting the Xbox version so I can play co-op with my friends and family.

Last edited:

shubik

Just got to the city and so far it is everything I hoped for. My only problem: Does anybody know how you can change the language on the PS5 version? I searched everything and I can´t find it. It's by default in the german sub and it´s not that good...

Edit:

I tried running it on quality mode and it´s to choppy. I can´t take the 30FPS. Id does look noticeably better though. I chose 60FPS and so far its smooth

Last edited:

GymWolf

For people who is already playing the game (and remember the first one), can you confirm or deny what this guy says?? Because from the gameplay i watched i always had the impression that combat\hit reaction\ragdoll were more scripted and less dynamic then the first game but you can't say that for sure until you try the game by yourself, but this was a huge reason why i loved the first game, a sense of phisicality\weight with the zombies that was better than anything on the market.

Maybe I have to get into it more but killing zombies just doesn't feel as great as in the first one. The first game always had this kind of magic attached to it with the city, the parkour and the zombies which felt really meaty and human and they always reacted physically really realistic when beating them up from several sides and it was really brutal with a lot of blood and dismemberment of all body parts. This here feels like 2 steps backwards, like the perfect fuel for a crowbcat video.
Hitting zombies here feels somehow super stiff and unnatural, when I kill them the head might be bashed in but I'm not sure if I could dismember anything after they're dead. Also there's a lot less blood and the bodies disappear super fast. It's weird. So far it literally feels like one of these many Crowbcat examples of game sequels which are 10 times less detailed in so many regards.

But I'm not really far yet, maybe that changes....

You can avoid to respond if you are not the type of gamer that care\look into these finer details (it is even hard for me to explain what i'm trying to ask)

Last edited:
Just got to the city and so far it is everything I hoped for. My only problem: Does anybody know how you can change the language on the PS5 version? I searched everything and I can´t find it. It's by default in the german sub and it´s not that good...

Edit:

I tried running it on quality mode and it´s to choppy. I can´t take the 30FPS. Id does look noticeably better though. I chose 60FPS and so far its smooth
do you have the patch installed?

whyman

I can’t decide between next gen console or my PC with a 3070 (but it has the worst fans ever made so the room gets crazy hot and it’s loud af). Also I really like HDR in games and that I can not get on my PC screen. And is it only me or does RT sometimes make the scenes so dark you feel like your missing out on details?

For people who is already playing the game (and remember the first one), can you confirm or deny what this guy says?? Because from the gameplay i watched i always had the impression that combat\hit reaction\ragdoll were more scripted and less dynamic then the first game but you can't say that for sure until you try the game by yourself, but this was a huge reason why i loved the first game, a sense of phisicality\weight with the zombies that was better than anything on the market.

Maybe I have to get into it more but killing zombies just doesn't feel as great as in the first one. The first game always had this kind of magic attached to it with the city, the parkour and the zombies which felt really meaty and human and they always reacted physically really realistic when beating them up from several sides and it was really brutal with a lot of blood and dismemberment of all body parts. This here feels like 2 steps backwards, like the perfect fuel for a crowbcat video.
Hitting zombies here feels somehow super stiff and unnatural, when I kill them the head might be bashed in but I'm not sure if I could dismember anything after they're dead. Also there's a lot less blood and the bodies disappear super fast. It's weird. So far it literally feels like one of these many Crowbcat examples of game sequels which are 10 times less detailed in so many regards.

But I'm not really far yet, maybe that changes....

You can avoid to respond if you are not the type of gamer that care\look into these finer details (it is even hard for me to explain what i'm trying to ask)
Yet they apparently improved combat ..I also notice this kind of downgrade happens a lot in games. AC Valhalla's combat was supposed to be overhauled and the most visceral in any AC game. Watch Dogs Legion took away a lot of the fun hacking abilities available to the player. Wish I could think of more examples off the top of my head. Oh yeah, Deathloop felt like they took away much of the creative abilities from Dishonored. Etc etc

Granty666uk

Been playing all evening on ps5. Just noticed there is zero rumble through the controller. Anyone else have this problem ?

Certinty

I want this game despite never playing the first but it seems like one which will drop in price pretty rapidly so I might just wait it out.

Justin9mm

Can someone tell me if resolution/visuals on console still looks decent in 1080p performance mode on a 4K TV?

I'm hoping it's not another Guardians of the Galaxy situation because this type of game in 60fps would be the most immersive.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yet they apparently improved combat ..I also notice this kind of downgrade happens a lot in games. AC Valhalla's combat was supposed to be overhauled and the most visceral in any AC game. Watch Dogs Legion took away a lot of the fun hacking abilities available to the player. Wish I could think of more examples off the top of my head. Oh yeah, Deathloop felt like they took away much of the creative abilities from Dishonored. Etc etc
I'm hearing the downgraded realism\correct body weight thing from more than one person, recent gameplay always seemed off for some reasons but i thought i was overthinking (although i have a clinical for this type of shit) but hearing other people that are playing the game and noticed the same thing is a bit of a let down, i always loved how fine tuned were those things in the first game.

It looks like they improved the combat mechanically but something got lost in the process...

Well, 5 min until it unlock on steam and i'm gonna try by myself.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dying Light 2 (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S/One) is an open world parkour zombie game with a lot of things to learn. Here are some tips for jumping in.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Dying Light 2 doesn't have HDR
Fuck me.. A big release in 2022.. Is it coming, like crossplay coop? Well, in the possible meantime it's a good thing Windows 11 has auto HDR then.. It has worked surprisingly well on my HDR monitor for non-HDR games.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Wow 55k ingame on Steam and the game has only been live 20mins. Unsociable hours in Europe too.
Looks like this game is going to be a big one!.

hollams

Gold Member
Runs decent so far on my 3090, but had to turn up the gamma since I'm using Ray Tracing GI otherwise it crushes blacks. Only negative so far is having to press the instinct button to show items around you that you can pickup or investigate. You can pickup items without it but you can't investigate an item without using it which is a bummer. Who wants to press and hold the R3 button a million times while playing 500 hours?

ajanke

anyone figure out how to get the twitch drops to work? I got it all done and connected but can't get it to work when trying to claim the items on twitch.

MaKTaiL

Runs decent so far on my 3090, but had to turn up the gamma since I'm using Ray Tracing GI otherwise it crushes blacks. Only negative so far is having to press the instinct button to show items around you that you can pickup or investigate. You can pickup items without it but you can't investigate an item without using it which is a bummer. Who wants to press and hold the R3 button a million times while playing 500 hours?
Instinct on DL1 was by holding X. No way I'm using R3 for this, it is a fast way to break it in the long run. It's the first thing I'll switch when I play.

Top Bottom