• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human Official Review Thread

GymWolf

Because it is? Throwing some diversity into your protags (particularly when Haran is not a white dominated city) isn't a bad thing.

So not only did they not bother adding any personality into their new main character, they found a voice actor who sounds and inflicts exactly the same as Crane. That. . .is certainly something else.
Oh you are one of those guys uh...

Crane was a governement agent, he was an outsider, being white in haran made absolute sense and diversity for the sake of it is fucking bullshit.

How about letting devs (polish devs that live in a mostly white nation) do the fuck they want with the skin of their character or their acting voice?

The protagonist can't really have a strong personality in a game that has a branching story system where you can wildly change the plot by making different decisions, much more than games with strong characters and some choices like witcher 3, the game is much more open ended and decision have more weight.

Imagine how ridiculus would be having a peaceful or angry character and you made him do it the opposite of what he would do because you are in the opposite spectrum of his characterization...the protagonists in these games needs to be a blank canvas for the player, sure his writing is not gonna be cd project tier but him being kinda bland is absolutely on purpose or it would be jarring.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Played 2.5 hours. the RT is proving to be pretty heavy for my 2070 Super at 2k with dlss in performance mode.
Have you tried putting ao, reflections and fog on low?! If df video is true you get a fuckload of frames just by doing that.

Ywap

Lot´s of problems with key and mouse button binding in the PC version.

I have played with the xbox gamepad meanwhile but it´s not my prefered weapon of choice in this game....

Jayjayhd34

Think this will be first refund I've ever requested how this got released in this state is beyond insane sad because I really wanted like it.

Hugare

Think this will be first refund I've ever requested how this got released in this state is beyond insane sad because I really wanted like it.
Seriously?

Played for 4h yesterday and havent experienced 1 bug

Day one patch installed, PS5

Game is awesome, btw. Traversal is amazing, feels so good.

Voice acting is as good as the first game (kinda shit but who cares), story is nonsense so far (again, the first one wasnt Oscar tier), but the game is so much fun

And graphics are awesome. Playing in "Quality" mode.

This is 30 FPS done right, feels smooth, no hitching, no frametime spikes, great use of motion blur

DL was one of my favorite games last gen, and this one is even better so far

Those complaints about the combat are nonsense. It feels as good (if not better) than the first game.

Words from a dude who finished the first game 3 times including sidequests

Actually, I think its even better. Enemies react more, they have momentum.

You strike an enemy from right to left, and he stumbles in that direction. It feels really really good.

Last edited:

J3nga

Disappointed with technical part, no HDR and using windows auto HDR results in crushed blacks, there's also memory leak happening, entering/exiting buildings results in frame drops and I have to go back to the menu and to the game again. Fuck this, requested a refund. CP2077 ran better for me at launch.

Jayjayhd34

Seriously?

Voice acting is as good as the first game (kinda shit but who cares), story is nonsense so far (again, the first one wasnt Oscar tier), but the game is so much fun

This is 30 FPS done right, feels smooth, no hitching, no frametime spikes, great use of motion blur

Those complaints about the combat are nonsense. It feels as good (if not better) than the first game.

You strike an enemy from right to left, and he stumbles in that direction. It feels really really good.
I've got game breaking bug. In the tunnel I've got no lock picks searched everywhere for scraps and there is none. Cant exit the tunnel. Was enjoying up till this point.

Starcheif

Platinum version on pc right now. They announced a next gen upgrade last year, but said nothing else about it other than more details will come in the future.
Thanks! I just picked that version up for 14 bucks. I'll play this until DL2 is discounted and has had time for the bugs to get fixed.

GymWolf

Seriously?

Dude a lot of people is noticing the downgrade, i saw that something was off just by watching the gameplay because i'm a psychopath with clinical eye for this shit, you literally have people with video proof on reddit that physics\ragdoll\hit reaction\how zombie reacts and stumble etc. are downgraded, in the first game when you hit a zombie in the head with a blunt weapon this stop his momentum on the side of his head, now they just pass through with an arcadey feeling, just moving a zombie left and right when you hit him was a small part of what made dl1 combat so satisfying.

Maybe you just don't care enough for this stuff to even notice it, but dl had some of the most weighty\realistic combat from past gen, probably only inferior to tlou2 in terms of feeling, most people just dropkick mofos and watch the ragdoll and think that it's the same as the first one, but a lot of finer details got lost in the process with this sequel.

And i'm far from an hater as you can read in my post history, this was one of my most hyped game since dl1 release.

I still have to try the game because steam unlocked the game at 1:30 am in italy so i still have a 1% of chance of this being the usual reddit exageration, but if he moves like a duck, and he sound like a duck...

From my understanding the situation is much worse when you fight zombies, humans are mostly ok.

I save my last comment for when i'm gonna try the game in a few hours, but i'm sincerely worried about what i'm seeing\reading.

Just a small example, go watch how zombie stumbles and fall down from ledges in dl1 and then watch this, bodies\animations are just way more stif, look how the zombies floats for a split second before falling down in a weird way

Last edited:

Hugare

Dude a lot of people is noticing the downgrade, i saw that something was off just by watching the gameplay because i'm a psychopath with clinical eye for this shit, you literally have people with video proof on reddit that physics\ragdoll\hit reaction\how zombie reacts and stumble etc. are downgraded, in the first game when you hit a zombie in the head with a blunt weapon this stop his momentum on the side of his head, now they just pass through with an arcadey feeling, just moving a zombie left and right when you hit him was a small part of what made dl1 combat so satisfying.

Maybe you just don't care enough for this stuff to even notice it, but dl had some of the most weighty\realistic combat from past gen, probably only inferior to tlou2 in terms of feeling, most people just dropkick mofos and watch the ragdoll and think that it's the same as the first one, but a lot of finer details got lost in the process with this sequel.

And i'm far from an hater as you can read in my post history, this was one of my most hyped game since dl1 release.

I still have to try the game because steam unlocked the game at 1:30 am in italy so i still have a 1% of chance of this being the usual reddit exageration, but if he moves like a duck, and he sound like a duck...

From my understanding the situation is much worse when you fight zombies, humans are mostly ok.

I save my last comment for when i'm gonna try the game in a few hours, but i'm sincerely worried about what i'm seeing\reading.

Just a small example, go watch how zombie stumbles and fall down from ledges in dl1 and then watch this, bodies\animations are just way more stif, look how the zombies floats for a split second before falling down in a weird way

I just think that the improvements are waaaay more important than zombies not stumbling after falling from a ledge or something

The overreactions on Reddit are just ridiculous. Comparing this game to Cyberpunk, or saying that it was a huge downgrade ...

Lets calm down a little bit. It's way more ambitious than the first game in many fronts. In order to put some things in, they needed to take some things out.

Traversal was MUCH improved, human combat too. Overall graphics, map density ...

It's a GTA IV to GTA V situation. Ragdoll physics and car damage were dialed down in order to make a more ambitious game in other fronts.

To me, it was worthy. Since I'm still enjoying the combat a ton.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I just think that the improvements are waaaay more important than zombies not stumbling after falling from a ledge or something

The overreactions on Reddit are just ridiculous. Comparing this game to Cyberpunk, or saying that it was a huge downgrade ...

Lets calm down a little bit. It's way more ambitious than the first game in many fronts. In order to put some things in, they needed to take some things out.

Traversal was MUCH improved, human combat too. Overall graphics, map density ...

It's a GTA IV to GTA V situation. Ragdoll physics and car damage were dialed down in order to make a more ambitious game in other fronts.

To me, it was worthy. Since I'm still enjoying the combat a ton.
They are not ridicolous dude, after 7 years everyone expect an upgraded physics system and even more meaty combat, not the fucking opposite, not sure how this is hard to grasp.

Again, the fact that you don't care doesn't mean that people who care is over-reacting.

How the combat feels and how the zombie act and interact with the world was a huge selling point of the first one.

Agree to disagre on this argument, matter of taste i guess.

Last edited:

Hugare

They are not ridicolous dude, after 7 years everyone expect an upraded physics and even more meaty combat, not the fucking opposite, not sure how this is hard to grasp.

Again, the fact that you don't care doesn't mean that people who care is over-reacting.

How the combat feels and how the zombie act and interact with the world was a huge selling point of the first one.

Agree to disagre on this argument, matter of taste i guess.
Not sure how hard is it to grasp that there are CPU/GPU limitations at play and in order to put some things in, they took some out

Again, GTA V did the freaking same thing, Far Cry series did the same and many other franchises

But yeah, lets agree to disagree. To me, those changes were worth it.

GymWolf

Not sure how hard is it to grasp that there are CPU/GPU limitations at play and in order to put some things in, they took some out

Again, GTA V did the freaking same thing, Far Cry series did the same and many other franchises

But yeah, lets agree to disagree. To me, those changes were worth it.
But they didn't added nothing in terms of physics dude, adding mechanics doesn't weight on the cpu and the game doesn't look nearly as good enough to scale down this stuff so much, you leave rtx out (that most people are gonna disable) and the game doesn't look incredible in any shape or form.

It's not like you have 500 zombies on screen now, i'm pretty sure that the first game has the same number of zombies on screen, maybe more.

We are gonna discuss more when i'm gonna try the game, hopefully the better gameplay can make me forget the downgrade (better chance for the hell to freeze tho)

intbal

Does this gameplay mechanic of needing to dose with UV every few minutes ever go away?
Please answer without spoilers, if possible (if not possible, feel free to ignore this post).

Hugare

But they didn't added nothing in terms of physics dude, adding mechanics doesn't weight on the cpu and the game doesn't look nearly as good enough to scale down this stuff so much, you leave rtx out (that most people are gonna disable) and the game doesn't look incredible in any shape or form.

It's not like you have 500 zombies on screen now, i'm pretty sure that the first game has the same number of zombies on screen, maybe more.

We are gonna discuss more when i'm gonna try the game, hopefully the better gameplay can make me forget the downgrade (better chance for the hell to freeze tho)
The world map alone is way more demanding than the first game

Taller, explorable buildings + way more vegetation + survivors and settlements at the top of buildings consume lots of resources. Its not only about the number of zombies on screen.

Try the game, hopefully you will have a great time with whats there

nemiroff

Gold Member

That was a thing I noticed when trying to kick a zombie off a cliff, it was slightly weird.. Not worth a meltdown though (reddit), the experience has been quite good to me a few hours into it. I was a bit worried before playing it, but that feeling has for the most part vanished. The game is of course not perfect, there's a little bit of unexpected jank (like some of the cinematics), but not remotely as much in the bug-department as some of the first reviews tend to suggest. I've not even experienced the slightest hint of a glitch so far (PC). The game could of course possibly benefit from a couple of months of polish and more attention to detail, but then again which game wouldn't..

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Oh you are one of those guys uh...

Yes, I'm one of those wacky folks who likes a little bit of diversity in character design.

How about letting devs (polish devs that live in a mostly white nation) do the fuck they want with the skin of their character or their acting voice?

No one at TECHLAND has a gun to their head. They can design the game exactly how they want. How about letting reviewers (reviewers that live in diverse countries) express frustration at seeing another bland white male cipher used as a main character. . .particularly when they had the chance to develop a new character with a new voice actor and instead made the character sound EXACTLY like the character from the first game (with just as generic a personality).

The protagonist can't really have a strong personality in a game that has a branching story system where you can wildly change the plot by making different decisions, much more than games with strong characters and some choices like witcher 3, the game is much more open ended and decision have more weight.

Complete and utter nonsense. First, don't kid yourself on this game even coming close to have the narrative consequences that TW3 has. To the overall point: Infamous, Mass Effect and yeah, even the Witcher. All games somehow manage to clearly defined main characters that aren't standins for the player and yet still allow the player agency over the MC.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm enjoying the game so far, put a little over 2 hours in and have the world map open to me now.

My main complaints are, it is quite low resolution, 1080p?

& The flashback scenes are not good.

But the gameplay itself seems pretty decent.

Alebrije

Well , it seems will be Days gone situation...if You are not superfan of zombie games better wait for more patches and price sale by end of year....

It seems day 1 patch fix most of the big issues and gameplay looks fun so will get it tomorrow.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Really enjoying it so far

Why do I never bother paying attention to the media anymore. Days Gone all over again. Fuck these guys seriously

welcome origin GIF

GymWolf

Yes, I'm one of those wacky folks who likes a little bit of diversity in character design.

No one at TECHLAND has a gun to their head. They can design the game exactly how they want. How about letting reviewers (reviewers that live in diverse countries) express frustration at seeing another bland white male cipher used as a main character. . .particularly when they had the chance to develop a new character with a new voice actor and instead made the character sound EXACTLY like the character from the first game (with just as generic a personality).

Complete and utter nonsense. First, don't kid yourself on this game even coming close to have the narrative consequences that TW3 has. To the overall point: Infamous, Mass Effect and yeah, even the Witcher. All games somehow manage to clearly defined main characters that aren't standins for the player and yet still allow the player agency over the MC.
Yes and i have the freedom to criticize such a stupid request, the cast of character is already super diversified like in the first one and white males are not all the same and boring, even saying that make me feel stupid for the author, and let's be honest, in the past years the number of people of color protagonists skyrocketed (for honest reasons or for pandering, that's another discussion), so having a white protagonist now is not exactly the norm anymore.
And black protagonists can be as shitty and boring as white protagonists, just take a look at the miles morales suck topic and how many people loved miles in his spiderman game, talk about a badly written and annoying protagonist :lollipop_squinting:

And for your information, yes, this game has way more weight than w3 or infamous when it comes to decisions, the tagline that you need 500 hours to see everything plot wise is pretty telling, you can literally avoid entire storylines, locations etc, i don't think that any major choice in withcer let you skip skellige or novigrad or any major character (but i have fuzzy memories of w3 vanilla campaign, dlc are much more memorable to me)

Mass effect protagonist other than being your average serious military dude is plasmable by the player, you can be super good or super evil, how in the fuck is that a defined personality? mass effect is just better because the writing from old bioware is much better and more interesting than techland, but shepard is a puppet in your hands for the most part.

And tbh, this is the same for cole or delsin in infamous, you can't be a piece of shit or a good hero, not sure how that is a defined personality...you can literally chose to kill your whole tribe or leave in happines with them ffs.

Last edited:

GymWolf

That was a thing I noticed when trying to kick a zombie off a cliff, it was slightly weird.. Not worth a meltdown though (reddit), the experience has been quite good to me a few hours into it. I was a bit worried before playing it, but that feeling has for the most part vanished. The game is of course not perfect, there's a little bit of unexpected jank (like some of the cinematics), but not remotely as much in the bug-department as some of the first reviews tend to suggest. I've not even experienced the slightest hint of a glitch so far (PC). The game could of course possibly benefit from a couple of months of polish and more attention to detail, but then again which game wouldn't..
it's not only that.

if you are interested in what was downgraded, reddit is full of people making list with video proofs.

I'm not even mad about some lack of polish or dumb plot, i perfectly knew what to expect after avellone was out of the project.

nemiroff

Gold Member
it's not only that.

if you are interested in what was downgraded, reddit is full of people making list with video proofs.

I'm not even mad about some lack of polish or dumb plot, i perfectly knew what to expect after avellone was out of the project.

Anyway, the ragdoll issue has supposedly been acknowledged by Techland after a youtuber reached out to them, and they said the issue will be patched.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yes and i have the freedom to criticize such a stupid request, especially when the cast of character is already super diversified like in the first one and white males are not all the same and boring, even saying that make me feel stupid for the author.

All white males? No. The two leads for these two games. For sure.

And for your information, yes, this game has way more weight than w3 or infamous when it comes to decisions, the tagline that you need 500 hours to see everything plot wise is pretty telling, you can literally avoid entire storylines, locations etc, i don't think that any major choice in withcer let you skip skellige or novigrad or any major character (but i have fuzzy memories of w3 vanilla campaign, dlc are much more memorable to me)

Just a quick question. Have you played the game? Because it seems like you're basing much of your impression here from advertisements and not actual game content.

GymWolf

All white males? No. The two leads for these two games. For sure.

Just a quick question. Have you played the game? Because it seems like you're basing much of your impression here from advertisements and not actual game content.
Dude you are answering your own question.

Techland would write a boring\blank character even if it was black.

Unless you think that being black has certain characteristics that a white man can't have.

If aiden was black, we would talk about the same exact character but voiced by a black dude, does a different voice make a character inherently more interesting? hard to say, but their actor has a vocie\tone extremely similar to troy baker, a worldwide beloved voice actor, it's not like the final result is shit by any means.

I'm gonna play the game in a couple of hours, but reading reviewers who confronted their campaign with other reviewers that had a very different campaign is not hard to connect the dots.

You don't come out with a 500 hours tagline if your choice system is not robust enough to actually cut off entire sections from your first run.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Dude you are answering your own question.

Techland would write a boring\blank character even if it was black.

Unless you think that being black has certain characteristics that a white man can't have.

If aiden was black, we would talk about the same exact character but voiced by a black dude.

I'm gonna play the game in a couple of hours, but reading reviewers who confronted their campaign with other reviewers that had a very different campaign is not hard to connect the dots.

I only asked one question in my comment; the first question mark was more rhetorical than anything else. And the second didn't receive a response.

Also, you seem to be trying to make this about an entirely different issue (begins with a W and ends in an OKE).

You don't come out with a 500 hours tagline if your choice system is not robust enough to actually cut off entire sections from your first run.

Hooboy.

GymWolf

I only asked one question in my comment; the first question mark was more rhetorical than anything else. And the second didn't receive a response.

Also, you seem to be trying to make this about an entirely different issue (begins with a W and ends in an OKE).

Hooboy.
Of course that is the problem, only a reviewer with some "tendencies" would give 2 fucks about the skin color of the protagonist, sorry if i was involuntary subtle :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I think that we can stop discussing, we are just running in circle.

If you are right with the decisions being only a facade that doesn't cut any content from a run i'm gonna eat crow no problem, you can save this post.

Last edited:

Romulus

Since the complaining about "boring white male characters," we've seen an influx of the opposite. Are we allowed to complain about the stereotypical people of color being forced into games for the sake of "diversity?" Let me guess, just bringing that up is offensive, insensitive, or insulting.

Kacho

Gold Member
Since the complaining about "boring white male characters," we've seen an influx of the opposite. Are we allowed to complain about the stereotypical people of color being forced into games for the sake of "diversity?" Let me guess, just bringing that up is offensive, insensitive, or insulting.
Give it a few years before it goes out of fashion.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

If they're as boring, bland and uninspired as the Dying Light MC's (both in character design and personality) then sure. Why wouldn't you be allowed to?

BlackM1st

Banned
First one was fun in coop

Lack of guns was absurd tho. I doubt that new one will be any different. So eh... Pass.

BlackM1st

Banned
I've noticed the trend with Polish devs that the optimization is always on the iffy side or is it just me?
That's just a classic case of "euro junk". Original and creative games with a smaller budgets. Plus EU industry is still very PC centric and weak optimization is the name of the game when it comes to PC haha

JRW

Watched first couple hours of PC ver today w/ Ray tracing cranked up and honestly it looks pretty enjoyable, and nice RT effects.

That's just a classic case of "euro junk". Original and creative games with a smaller budgets. Plus EU industry is still very PC centric and weak optimization is the name of the game when it comes to PC haha
Sad but true. Elex II is coming soon and I've spoke to a couple of people and the review codes for that should be coming up later this month. Probably will be full of eurojank as well lol.

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
So they made the parkour great, writing is decent, attempted “consequences” that turned out to be superficial, combat is still bad? At this rate Dying Light 4 will be a masterpiece .. 3 fixes the combat, 4 builds an actually responsive world..

Top Bottom