• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human Official Review Thread

Bows are good enough for me. Now that I think of it, I don't remember guns in the first game.

I mainly used a sword with shock damage
Honestly, you don't really need range weapons in this game. Bows are more than good enough and given the lore of the game and status of the settlements and conditions it makes sense that guns are extremely hard to come by lore wise.

Last edited:
Oh give me a break. They played the product TECHLAND gave them and did so according to their editorial needs.

. . . you can critique game reviewers all you want, but them not wanting to replay the game with a late in the review cycle patch is perfectly fine.
People don't use common sense. Why would techland give reviewers a buggy game without giving them a heads up about the day one patch?

That "day one patch" nonsense is just a smoke screen. But whatever, I am sure people who liked the first game will like this, just tired of gamers being taken advantage of by these publishers.

The story and writing were trash in the original too. As long as the parkour is good (which it seems like the consensus is its better than the first), the combat is fun (seems like most reviews say it is) and the world makes good use of both (sounds like it does) then it should be enough if you were a fan of the original.

I am not really surprised at the middling reviews. Even DL1 was more of a AA game. I'm more concerned at the bugs being reported but I am still in for day 1.

hlm666

Thats quite the performance hit and theyre playing on a 3080TI... fucking hell but the difference is staggering, it's like 2 different art styles. RTGI is really not ready for current hardware especially not if its unoptimized. Damn I want to play it on, maybe I can lock it to 60 at 1440p with DLSS on performance and some sharpening on my 2080. If not I'll just play without it. :c
that's maxxed remember, maybe there is a lower level RTGI like metro exodus.

GymWolf

Bows are good enough for me. Now that I think of it, I don't remember guns in the first game.

I mainly used a sword with shock damage
You only had like 5 different guns in the first one, melee and dropkicking mofos out of roofs was always the focus.

We have so many zombie shooters that one game that focus on melee is basically gold for me.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Yeah, thank god i don't care about this stuff so i can save some performances for res\details.
I'm sorry but i would rather play the game on the left, especially when we are talking major performance hits to get the pic on the right.
Plus i know the building in the right picture is in the shade but when have you ever seen something pitch black like that when its a bright sunny day outside lol.

GymWolf

I'm sorry but i would rather play the game on the left, especially when we are talking major performance hits to get the pic on the right.
Plus i know the building in the right picture is in the shade but when have you ever seen something pitch black like that when its a bright sunny day outside lol.
What can i say, my neanderthal brain doesn't care if lights and shadows are not accurate, not having a blurry low res img or shitty details or less than 60 frame are the important things to me, i never gonna sacrifice any of that for something that i can't even notice even if it is more "realistic".

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Please don't buy bug-riddles games, people. Especially for 70 freaking dollars/euros.

Life is too short.
What about $50 for deluxe 🤷‍♂️
FiTLiWk.jpg

Honestly, you don't really need range weapons in this game. Bows are more than good enough and given the lore of the game and status of the settlements and conditions it makes sense that guns are extremely hard to come by lore wise.

Personally, I would still have preferred there to be guns in the game because I liked the trade off that they made in the first game. They can save your bacon when you are really getting mobbed on but then they create a whole different problem since they attract the faster zombies during the day and the volitiles at night (plus you run out of ammo pretty quick). It was a nice risk v. reward mechanic but its not a dealer breaker for me that they are gone.

Please don't buy bug-riddles games, people. Especially for 70 freaking dollars/euros.

Life is too short.
Please don't spread misinformation. The game is $59.99 for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. On top of that, there is a day 1 patch with fixes, you won't be playing the so called "bugged" version of this game. It's nowhere near the levels of glitchiness of Cyberpunk 2077.

I totally forgot this game is coming out. Can't blame it when there is Elden Ring, Horizon, and Destiny 2: The Witch Queen coming soon. Still, I had my share of fun with the first game, so I hope it does well enough.

DeaDPo0L84

Wait are reviewers really playing the game WITHOUT the massive day 1 patch? I mean this kinda makes Techland look dumb as well for allowing it but still.

GymWolf

Wait are reviewers really playing the game WITHOUT the massive day 1 patch? I mean this kinda makes Techland look dumb as well for allowing it but still.
It seems so.

They twitted to people who bought the game early to not play the game before release day because the patch really is massive.

They were dumb but on the other hand, with such a gigantic game they wanted to work until the last day to fix everything they can humanly fix.

So yeah, final clients are gonna probably have a noticeably less bugged experience.

cragarmi

Please don't spread misinformation. The game is $59.99 for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. On top of that, there is a day 1 patch with fixes, you won't be playing the so called "bugged" version of this game. It's nowhere near the levels of glitchiness of Cyberpunk 2077.
You wanna bet? 😂

One thing I'm really curious about is the lack of cross gen multiplayer support, and any possible workarounds. We know PS4 and PS5 players won't be able to play together (and we can assume the same will be true for Xbox One and Series X). But will there at least be a 60 fps mode on the PS4 version when playing on PS5? And if you play for a while on PS5 and then want to switch to the PS4 version so you can play with your PS4 friends, will the same save files at least be compatible with both versions of the game? Not that I want an answer now. I agree you should always respect your NDA.

It is unfortunate, though, that such a co-op focused game is going to be one of a handful of titles that doesn't offer cross gen multiplayer. The developers have said they're interested in adding it later, but it won't be available at launch.

I'm also going to tag @Karak on this one. I'd really be interested in hearing this topic covered in reviews.

I believe co-op is being added later st some point. None of the consoles has cross play between them as far as I am aware. As for the save files, that is a good question. I can try asking my contact and see if they'll answer. These questions are not really related to embargo since they are basic functions of any game and are not gameplay or is the game good/bad type of a question.

Any final word on either of these two questions? Did you ever get an answer, or were you not able to find out? Sorry if you mentioned it in your review, but I skipped around a bit because I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

cragarmi

It seems so.

They twitted to people who bought the game early to not play the game before release day because the patch really is massive.

They were dumb but on the other hand, with such a gigantic game they wanted to work until the last day to fix everything they can humanly fix.

So yeah, final clients are gonna probably have a noticeably less bugged experience.
Should have just delayed the game until patch was ready. We shouldn't be happy with developers releasing broken games and telling influences to not mention how broken something is just due to the promise of a day 1 patch that promises the earth, but delivers us the moon instead.

GymWolf

Should have just delayed the game until patch was ready. We shouldn't be happy with developers releasing broken games and telling influences to not mention how broken something is just due to the promise of a day 1 patch that promises the earth, but delivers us the moon instead.
Yeah it is not an optimal way of doing things.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Primarily developed with PC in mind?
If hes gonna be spending a bunch of time on the PC version it must mean its chock full of features and settings which would require alot of time.
If he was to split the time on doing console comparisons and a PC tech overview we might only get the video a long while after launch.

It just means hes doing a PC centric video first.
Maybe other members of DF will do a console video or the console video will come a bit later.

The game has a bunch of interesting RT features, but apart from that, it doesnt look like its doing anything extraordinary

And this is not PC exclusive. This is multiplatform. So of course the console versions should be analyzed.

So what he is saying is just dumb

I have nothing against Alex like most do, the guy is smart and makes some excellent videos for DF.

But his PC fanboysm is just too much sometimes.

I bet that he will be making the PC video, and Tom Morgan will be analyzing the consoles versions.

As I said in my previous post to you guys.
Just cuz Alex wants to cover the PC version as it needs more time doesnt mean other people wont cover it.
So attacking him for wanting to do an in depth PC centric video is incredibly entitled of you.
He owes you nothing.

But since so you wanted a console DF review.
Here you have it.

Starfield

You will be very...very...VERY happy. Did I say very?

Our Final Verdict is now uploaded on YouTube and set to schedule at 10 AM EST

Here is the thumbnail for it :) Make sure you don't miss it on our page! https://www.youtube.com/gaminginstinctstv and yes it was reviewed by me (We have another reviewer as well on the team besides me, but I am the owner of the website and the channel and all social media channels)

QMz6AHi.jpg
9/10?

omegalul

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I sent an email to my Techland contact and they replied within 2 minutes and confirmed to me they will be striking down every leak and thanked me for it :) Idiots like these are stealing views from others/or stealing videos from other channels that are leaking and are ruining financial gain for those who are actually working hard. Fuck them.

Strike is A LOT worse than a Copyright claim. Copyright claims just demonetize your video and you can't make money. If you get 3 strikes though, your channel is banned forever.
Do one channel leaking is stealing money from another channel leaking? Is there an.‘official’ leak ?

Don’t be a snitch, it’s not your game and your money involved.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
What the hell does that even mean? How is this a "PC game through and through"? He's so weird.

It means it's a Nvidia promoted game with DLSS and lots of inefficient raytracing effects coded by Nvidia themselves (like Cyberpunk 2077... anyone seeing a certain trend here?), so of course he's going to promote DLSS to death, and tell the world that everyone should enable a level of raytracing that is only playable on the 3090 Ti that Nvidia probably already sent him for free.
Even though the game doesn't look very good no matter how much raytracing you throw at it.

Other than that, it's a game/genre that is perfectly adequate a console. If the sequel is anything like the original, the parkour + melee combat gameplay are actually better suited for a gamepad than they are for KB+M.

I played Dying Light 1 on PC at first for 6 hours or so, and then I started it over again on the PS4 Pro and I finished it on the console, then I bought the Following DLC on the PS4 and finished it too.

Some games are indeed better to play on a PC of course, like Bethesda RPGs that you'll definitely want to mod hundreds of times, RTS games, competitive multiplayer FPS, etc. But this isn't it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Seems good enough to me considering I stopped trusting the majority of pea brained urinalists when it comes to judging fun in a game. I just bought two copies, one for me and one for my son. I expect the day one patch to fix the worst, and then like the first game it'll probably evolve to be a sweet and fully packed experience down the line - I hope.

Last edited:
Do one channel leaking is stealing money from another channel leaking? Is there an.‘official’ leak ?

Snitch? The guy is breaking embargo dude, how is this Snitching dude? As an industry professional my job is to protect the publishers and developers and myself as much as possible when it comes to stuff likes this such as stealing information or revealing stuff beforehand that should not be revealed. Yes it is stealing money from me and other media sites/channels it does effect me directly. I have a code of ethics and integrity that I must follow and I am not a fucking bum of the street. If you do not respect that, that's your issue not mine. If you were in my shoes you would understand.

Last edited:

Antwix

I feel like this is extremely similar to the first game in the reviews. If you liked the first one, I imagine you'll really like this. If you didn't like the first one, it's probably not gonna win you over.

People are given copies dependent on if they will all play by the same rules that the developer has decided upon. If they all agree to not publish their own original gameplay videos until a certain date, one of them doing so before the agreed upon date will obviously give that channel an unfair advantage.

I see your point from the perspective that we gamers just care about seeing gameplay, and should be thankful to channels who provide uncut gameplay as soon as possible, so people can see the game and decide for themselves. But at the same time, it's not really fair to the other channels that played by the rules, because people will have already seen a lot of uncut gameplay by the time they publish their videos.

SJRB

Gold Member

You are of course completely right. Games cost the exact same all over the world, and the magical unfounded faith that a day one patch with a literal THOUSAND FIXES makes the game bug free should be enough to sway anyone. Allow me to update my post:

Please don't buy games on day one, people. No matter the price.

Life is too short.

I sent an email to my Techland contact and they replied within 2 minutes and confirmed to me they will be striking down every leak and thanked me for it :) Idiots like these are stealing views from others/or stealing videos from other channels that are leaking and are ruining financial gain for those who are actually working hard. Fuck them.

Strike is A LOT worse than a Copyright claim. Copyright claims just demonetize your video and you can't make money. If you get 3 strikes though, your channel is banned forever.
Cringe.

IDWhite

As I said in my previous post to you guys.
Just cuz Alex wants to cover the PC version as it needs more time doesnt mean other people wont cover it.
So attacking him for wanting to do an in depth PC centric video is incredibly entitled of you.
He owes you nothing.

But since so you wanted a console DF review.
Here you have it.

Very poorly optimized on consoles. I said it days before when the modes videos appeared. There is no excuses to not been able to run this game on a locked 60 fps mode on 4k dynamic resolution or native 1440p on Ps5 and Series X, even on the raytraced mode the resolution or fps should be higher.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Very poorly optimized on consoles. I said it days before when the modes videos appeared. There is no excuses to not been able to run this game on a locked 60 fps mode on 4k dynamic resolution or native 1440p on Ps5 and Series X, even on the raytraced mode the resolution or fps should be higher.
Ohh when you passed the game through the profiler with a full fat 4K resolution what FPS were you hitting on both consoles?

The RT mode should be at a higher framerate?....its a locked 30 a locked 40 only benefits people with 120Hz screens and getting to 60 would be highly unstable theres a dynamic day/night cycle and alot of intricate objects that projects shadows and generate occlusion.
So what framerate exactly should they be aiming for?

Last edited:
weird that IGN criticized the main character as being devoid of personality despite being little more than a vessel for player choice. Wonder how you make a character like that satisfying for said reviewer... maybe throw in the odd quip about the modern social political climate? Make Aiden a female POC with a trendy sidebuzz? Of course if he is forced to play as an Aiden, "like all the Aiden's before him" - in his words - he needs at the very least a healthy dose of self-hating rhetoric or some problematic tendencies for us to wag our fingers at. These tropes are expected in modern North American storytelling and the symptoms of withdrawal are often evident in their absence.
Same as Days Gone. Crucified for an average white dude and his heterosexual relationship. "What is this, the 90's?"

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I really fell off from the game industry lately.

If the game is at Cyperpunk level of mess why reviewers give it high scores? lol
It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom