• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Art Director/Lead Writer Leaves Techland

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Hope this wont affect the game too much.

"After over twenty-two years, I decided to end my cooperation with Techland. I would like to express my gratitude to the company that has allowed me to develop and fulfill myself for half of my life. Techland, I will always be rooting for you, as well as the great people I have met thanks to you. I wish you that Dying light 2 and subsequent projects will become world hits. Good bye and good luck! "

unknown.png

Orpheum

Tough to judge what this means for Dying Light 2. Could very well be that they're in the home stretch like Werewolf Jones Werewolf Jones said and there's nothing really more to do for him

However in regards to the apparent development hell rumors this could mean that it is in fact a dumpster fire. I need to ask my friend in poland if he knows anything. He works at GOG and has a few friends at Techland

Leads and directors don't generally leave for a positive reason before a release date is announced. This combined with the other DL2 news doesn't bode well for the project, but who knows.

I didn't even know he was Lead Writer, I can't keep up with all the writers this game seems to have had.

At least they're still supporting DL1, which is still fun.

OrionNebula

Anybody wants to blame Jim for this one? He’s gotta be to blame in some way 😆

Man, Dying Light 2 seems to be in dev hell, blood in the water. Really surprised microsoft is not already like this
melissa benoist superman GIF by Global Entertainment

There’s no doubt there’s plenty of talent over there, so what could be the issue? Aren’t they following at least a bit the blueprint of the first game? I wonder what’s causing all this hell for them

Which is the bigger shitshow Dying Light 2 or Vampire Masquerade 2. Both leaning on choice and consequences, damn just make a walking sim rpg for fuck sakes.

Perrott

Gold Member
It was stupid of Techland to go full independent with the development of this game as they clearly are doing a worse job at managing the project than Warner Bros. did with the first Dying Light.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Anybody wants to blame Jim for this one? He’s gotta be to blame in some way 😆

Man, Dying Light 2 seems to be in dev hell, blood in the water. Really surprised microsoft is not already like this
melissa benoist superman GIF by Global Entertainment

There’s no doubt there’s plenty of talent over there, so what could be the issue? Aren’t they following at least a bit the blueprint of the first game? I wonder what’s causing all this hell for them
How do you know it's not? There were rumors about them shopping in Poland.

It was stupid of Techland to go full independent with the development of this game as they clearly are doing a worse job at managing the project than Warner Bros. did with the first Dying Light.
Scope of that games is simply incomparable.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, if the game is far enough along then this happening won't impact it at all. But him abandoning ship doesn't leave me feeling too hot about the company. On top of Dying Light 2's development period sounding rocky AF.

OrionNebula

How do you know it's not? There were rumors about them shopping in Poland.
I don’t. Never said I did, too

Wasn’t that rumor like 7-8 months ago? It would probably be a good team to get and a good time to scoop in, but it’s not like I/we know every details behind the scene on this one...

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Am I the only one that thought the tone switch for Dying Light 2 was weird? Like the first game is dead island with parkour, yet this game looks to involve a bunch of human enemies and a rebuilt society?

If you make a good zombie game with interesting mechanics why would the sequel not be about zombies and interesting mechanics? As someone who enjoyed Dead Island and Dying Light I simply don't get where they have been going with dying light 2. Its just weird.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
I don’t. Never said I did, too

Wasn’t that rumor like 7-8 months ago? It would probably be a good team to get and a good time to scoop in, but it’s not like I/we know every details behind the scene on this one...
You said that you are surprised that MS is not already standing over them with help. Maybe it actually is and they say no?

To be fair first they would have to want to sell themselves. They are private owned and currently their owner is 10th richest Pole (6 billions PLN). They have all the money they need and no one who would push them to release unfinished game.

Derktron

Banned
I don’t think this game is coming out.
Just like Dead Island 2 where it was announced back in 2014 a year after 8 generation was released. Tells me the studio doesn't care or have enough resources to do either game. Seems like the studio is having issues keeping up afloat.

kuncol02

Banned
Just like Dead Island 2 where it was announced back in 2014 a year after 8 generation was released. Tells me the studio doesn't care or have enough resources to do either game. Seems like the studio is having issues keeping up afloat.
Do you realize that Techland has nothing to do with Dead Island 2? Nothing at all. Like literally nothing.

intbal

Am I the only one that thought the tone switch for Dying Light 2 was weird? Like the first game is dead island with parkour, yet this game looks to involve a bunch of human enemies and a rebuilt society?

If you make a good zombie game with interesting mechanics why would the sequel not be about zombies and interesting mechanics? As someone who enjoyed Dead Island and Dying Light I simply don't get where they have been going with dying light 2. Its just weird.
Agreed.
I just wanted "more of the same". Why would anyone who loves a game ever want a sequel where the gameplay has been radically redesigned?

Top Bottom