• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying at the same time you defeat a boss?

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Lmao. That is terrible.
Then I dont beat it again for another 15 tries
Role Playing Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Motherfucking Blood-Starved Beast, didn't even realize I was poisoned till I dropped dead.
Another classic boss scenario for me from Bloodborne/Dark Souls is this:

I'm just about to beat the boss and it's health is down to just one hit left, when it hits me, I get knocked down, and I believe I'm dead so I drop the controller in frustration. Then my character gets up and I realize, oh shit - I've got like 1 HP left so I could either heal myself or hit the boss and kill it!

... Only to realize this half a second too late, and it kills me. Fun times.

MiguelItUp

Dude, it's the absolute WORST.

I've been playing a SHIT ton of Binding of Isaac: Repentance, and man, it's happened at least 3-4 times to me in that game this passed week, lmao. Every time it was a "bury your face in your palms" scenario, haha.

Codes 208

I haven’t dealt with the frustrations of that in awhile. In dark souls/blood borne when you die at the same time as the boss they remain dead when you respawn. you just need to get back to their room to ignite the bonfire and get your shit back

Last edited:

Kadve

On a related note. Had an interesting experience during the final mission of the human campaign during Fantasy Wars (for anyone else who has played it). Kinda mad that i never recorded it.

Backed into a corner of the map, I was literally just a couple of turns away from the enemy just massacring everything i had left. The situation appeared hopeless, but then the computer suddenly and unexpectedly moved the enemy commander within attaching range from one of my units and i thought: "eh why the hell not, would at least give me some last minute satisfaction".

Color my surprise when the game suddenly announced my victory! At no point had the mission objectives mentioned this being a condition and it didn't matter if everyone was just a turn away from being massacred. Kill the leader = Victory!

Duchess

After god-only-knows how many attempts, I managed to beat Slave Knight Gael, the final boss of Dark Souls 3's DLC. At the same moment as it said I'd defeated him, a lightning strike hit me and killed me. Weirdly, it still counted as a victory, so when I respawned at the bonfire at the top of the hill, I discovered he was dead. As I'd found that DLC absolutely crushing in difficulty, I took it as a sign to move on from Souls-like games :)

Bonus: while close to defeating an earlier tough as shit boss in Dark Souls 3, my brand new kitten, who was exploring the living room, decided to walk behind the TV and stand on the plug gangplank and turned off my PS4. Seriously, there were 6 damn things plugged in there, including an Amazon TV stick and a Freeview box, and she stood on the PS4's switch! Arghhhh!

Orta

Banned
Infuriating. Especially when the game shows the boss death sequence, fades to black and the fight you've just won has to be repeated again :messenger_pouting:

CuNi

Happened to me in the very first destiny 2 raid where he casts that wipe if you don't nuke him down at the end. He clapped us but so did we, but because of that it counted as a victory but there was no mechanic to disable the instakill mechanic so whenever someone spawned he would be instantly killed. Only issue was, because we technically beat the boss, that raid was marked as finished and when we tried loading in the raid again, it yeeted as to the very beginning. Luckily the loot was in the postmaster but it was still infuriating. We haven't seen the loot room until the next reset because we didn't have the strength to do it again.

Last edited:
The last game this happened in for me was Jedi Fallen Order. Some secret boss in a crashed ship I had down to 0 health and was about to do the finishing QTE move on it, but the game glitched out and wouldn't do the finisher. Then the fucker recovered and one-shotted me. I was playing on the second hardest difficulty to make it more challenging, so of course it took me 3 more tries to kill it afterwards.

martino

this is a dark souls special but if you are lucky the lenghty death animation will let the kill being validated.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
If I get straight back in to the fight afterwards, it's not an issue.

But having to watch unskippable cut scenes right before the boss fight, over and over, is not good. Last Remnant, looking at you.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I died at the same time I beat the final boss in FTL. But it still counted as a win! :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's ok.
Just as 2 snipers shooting each other at the exact same moment in battlefield 5. Just had that happen yesterday :p

Wizz-Art

Remember it vividly because I had it happen in Gears of War fighting General Raam on insane dif, I was nooooo and then the game went into a cut-scene that I finished him. Was sooo glad!

txxZcwX.gif

Nameless freaking king!! I hate hate, double hate this mofo with a passion! imagine fighting this fucker for 6 hours trying to learn his patterns. then only to deal the final blow, and he gets a cheap hit in that kills you as well. This isn't Sparta this is madness!!!

iorek21

This happened to me during my first BloodBorne playthrough, killed Orphan of Kos at the same time he killed me.

Luckly, he wasn’t at the arena when I returned and I received all the souls and items.

or when you are in a 20 minute battle and die when the boss has a tiny amount of health left. if only you could've got one more hit in but now you gotta do it all over again.
this happened to me in bloodbourne, in the blood starved beast fight

killed it and died by poison few seconds after
fuck blood starved beast. that was straight up one of the hardest fights in the game for me lol.

Kos + BSB + Logarius

Last edited:

retsof624

It's not the exact same, but I remember beating the MGS 3 Subsistence final boss and then it told me to change discs and my PS2 froze. I couldn't beat the damn boss again. Still gonna count that as a W

Also: apparently, the whole game is on the first disc and the second disc is just extras. But I specifically remember being told to change discs and then getting fucked by my PS2.

Last edited:
Borderlands 3 did this to me several times recently during my Ultimate Vault Hunter mode play through. Lucky me that the loot was still there when I respawn and ran back to the Boss area. Moxie really dosn't like KillaVolt does she.

Retinoid

The Souls games are quite generous in giving you the win if both you and the boss die at the same time, with a few exceptions. It does happen on occasion, but you usually do get the win. DS2 is the only game in the series where the game flat out refuses to give you the win if you die at the same time - and in some cases even AFTER the boss is already dead (looking at you Darklurker).

Last edited:
This is how I beat Doom64. I was down to 5 health and my last shot hit her, triggering her death animation, at the same time one of her projectiles killed me triggering the death sequence.

I guess I was lucky that day because it gave me the win and ran the ending.

Top Bottom