• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem reiterates that the Xbox will be more powerful than the PS5 (Admitted to starting console wars, demodded)

Klayzer

Dusk Golem, he spread so much bullshit during the summer months that it's probably a record.
PS5 price at 599$/60.000yen. Microsoft was waiting for Sony to announce their price to undercut them at all costs because they have the money, they can do all they want :messenger_tears_of_joy:
All developers struggling with 4k on PS5 but not on XSX, RE engine having issues just on PS5 and RE8 would be showcased at TGS running smoothly but on PC:messenger_tears_of_joy:
And the Silent Hill directed by Toyama and Japan studio....yeah the same Toyama who actually left Sony....
NONE of this happaned.

And I see that in this same thread there are delusional people who want to use Cyberpunk as an example of the superiority of XSX when they perfectly know that the PS5 BC version was simply not allowed to run at higher than PS4 Pro settings (and it's still the console version with best possibile frame rate). All this ignoring all the other comparisons where XSX performs worse, it's laughable.
I understand that going from expecting huge gaps to being beaten was a big blow but at least try to keep contact with reality...
Great post.

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

skit_data

God the Sony fanboys are nauseating
I found the 8 months of deliberate misunderstanding of pretty much everything Cerny said in Road to PS5 more nauseating, because it made it impossible to read any discussions on the tech he described without seeing people bringing up TFLOPS.

With people like Tom Warren and even Digital Foundry pretty much questioning his whole console design and in Warrens case actually regurgitating info that looked like it couldve been cooked up in an Xbox Fanboy-troll meeting.

Its been almost 6 months of misinformation and disinterest from major tech-journalist, let alone the constant 12>10, RDNA1, 4k60fps mantra so i guess they succeded making people remember which one is ”stronger”(whatever that means)
People do remember, and it shows.

StrongGuy

I found the 8 months of deliberate misunderstanding of pretty much everything Cerny said in Road to PS5 more nauseating, because it made it impossible to read any discussions on the tech he described without seeing people bringing up TFLOPS.

With people like Tom Warren and even Digital Foundry pretty much questioning his whole console design and in Warrens case actually regurgitating info that looked like it couldve been cooked up in an Xbox Fanboy-troll meeting.

Its been almost 6 months of misinformation and disinterest from major tech-journalist, let alone the constant 12>10, RDNA1, 4k60fps mantra so i guess they succeded making people remember which one is ”stronger”(whatever that means)
People do remember, and it shows.

This.

Xbox - Had no money to design custom parts. Had to use off-the-shelf AMD parts.

Playstation - Had cash to make custom parts. Did cost-benefit analysis to see if their own custom solution was better than off-the-shelf AMD parts. If custom parts didn't exceed vanilla performance, they can just use vanilla parts.

There was absolutely 0% chance that PS5 would lose the power war. At worst, it would have the same power as the XSX if they had to go with vanilla parts. SONY replaced some of the CUs with GPU cache scrubbers for a reason. How anyone could think XSX had a chance was laughable.

Leyasu

Banned
If off-the-shelf Zen 2 + 52 CU RDNA 2 yielded better performance, SONY would have done that. It doesn't take a lot of effort to take what AMD made and do no customizations.
SONY went with GPU cache scrubbers, GE, and Zen 3 CPU for a reason. They had the money to do a cost-benefit analysis and determined that vanilla AMD hardware performs worse.

Anyone expecting the power gap to go in XSX's favor is in denial. I expect the gap to increase in PS5's favor as the gen goes on. There are far more things inside the PS5 that devs have yet to utilize, while XSX is probably already tapped out.
You are just repeating Cerny speak about cache scrubbers and shit when you don't know their real world performance and making false claims about "Zen 3" when again you have no idea if they are there or not.

Are you The Last Words alt account? Your posting smells familiar....

You don't know anything, and basing what you think off of some rushed to launch cross-gen games just shows how stupid fanboys are... Getting agrees from other fanboys for your nonsense doesn't change it or make it any less stupid either.

No I don't believe that there is a massive difference between the two consoles either. But I will reserve final judgement for when the real next gen software gets here.

StrongGuy

You are just repeating Cerny speak about cache scrubbers and shit when you don't know their real world performance and making false claims about "Zen 3" when again you have no idea if they are there or not.

Are you The Last Words alt account? Your posting smells familiar....

You don't know anything, and basing what you think off of some rushed to launch cross-gen games just shows how stupid fanboys are... Getting agrees from other fanboys for your nonsense doesn't change it or make it any less stupid either.

No I don't believe that there is a massive difference between the two consoles either. But I will reserve final judgement for when the real next gen software gets here.

My perspective comes from business acumen, not technical details.
SONY had the option of copying XSX's design or using custom parts. They went with the latter for a reason.
Xbox didn't have the money to use anything but vanilla AMD parts.

Was there ever a greater than 0% chance that SONY would lose the power war? At worst, they would be equal to the XSX if their custom parts didn't perform well, because they would then opt for the same thing as XSX.
Otherwise, you're implying that the engineers at SONY all went insane and decided to sabotage the console.

Last edited:
Was there ever a greater than 0% chance that SONY would lose the power war?

It's possible, because Sony focuses on more important factors. Sony realizes that any differences in power this generation are going to be nearly impossible to notice without a completely overkill technical breakdown - something 99% of gamers don't care about.

Xbox made sure to "win" the TF contest (of which they are the only one playing), even knowing that won't necessarily result in running games better. They need a reason to tout the Xbox as "the most powerful console", because they don't have the software to fight Sony or Nintendo on any other ground.

StrongGuy

It's possible, because Sony focuses on more important factors. Sony realizes that any differences in power this generation are going to be nearly impossible to notice without a completely overkill technical breakdown - something 99% of gamers don't care about.

Xbox made sure to "win" the TF contest (of which they are the only one playing), even knowing that won't necessarily result in running games better. They need a reason to tout the Xbox as "the most powerful console", because they don't have the software to fight Sony or Nintendo on any other ground.

I mean in terms of real-world performance, there was 0% chance that PS5 would lose to the XSX.
At worst, they would do what Xbox did and wait until AMD finished RDNA 2 and run with it.
At best, their custom parts would overcome the 2 TF difference and perform better, and from the looks of it, it seems their custom parts are performing miracles.

There was no possible way for SONY to lose, since Xbox didn't have the funding to make custom parts.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I heard that if you are too quiet, you are ashamed of your product, have something to hide. Maybe ppl that think that also are stuck on words.

"Actions speak louder than words"
PS was not ready for next gen, they aren't saying anything........"You see, they said the version of Dirt will be up to 4K on PS5, they never said 4K native as on XBOX"....PS won't even have a 120fps mode on Dirt, they could only dream of having one with with better settings......40-50FPS better performance on XBOX over PS5. True 4k native 60fps on RE8, PS5 can't even render this at 1080p without dips below 30fps.....'We are not covering the PS5 breakdown", no time to do a Miles Morales analysis, because frankly Sony has shown nothing and said nothing.....

Instead of Sony cutting deals with Square, getting their studios to an even higher level, expanding them, they should instead do a million meaningless interviews boasting about TF power or in Sony's case customization power....They should constantly be in your face saying how they will have the best E3 for the millionth time and have the biggest launch lineup ever with the best graphics, multiplats and first party games.....Meanwhile Cerny was just building the best architected console ever with the latest tech features like HTRF, Haptics, Wifi6, Geometry Engine, fastest SSD and cache scrubbers....He didn't have to come boast it every interview, he wanted to teach gamers and gave a lecture on what his vision was at GDC, which is still a bible knowledge of wealth, so compact and so full of info everytime you watch.....

It's simple, concentrate on delivery of a great product instead of marketing and talk of a product that won't be as good, because you are wasting time talking it up instead of building it up.....

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

FASTEST.
MOST POWERFUL.
The most powerful console ever

You can see how they chanced here: https://web.archive.org/web/20200920012903/https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/consoles/xbox-series-x

THE FASTEST,
MOST POWERFUL
XBOX EVER
From your own links:

b8k53Bg.png

Try harder.

Klayzer

I will clear your doubts... it was their marketing until they saw it won't work and chanced.
MS chanced most of the place "world most powerful consoles" to "world most powerful xbox" in their marketing banners.

Edit - Just to point how the narrative chanced... last week tweet:

Are people really pretending the "world's most powerful console" wasn't the original pitch. Team Green with the usual amnesia when it comes to flip flopping Microsoft press releases. There were many parokeeting the same marketing shit in every topic during the pre release time frame.

ethomaz

Banned
Are people really pretending the "world's most powerful console" wasn't the original pitch. Team Green with the usual amnesia when it comes to flip flopping Microsoft press releases. There were many parokeeting the same marketing shit in every topic during the pre release time frame.
It weird because it was in all Series X banners since the reveal in 2019 until September/Octover 2020 when they started to change the marketing.
I mean it was not something anybody will miss because MS made sure you were looking at the most powerful console ever created... it was repeated in every PR piece.

Last edited:

anothertech

Wow. Reading comprehension is just Craig level with some people.

Hey, all you brilliant geniuses that keep using Cyberpunk as an example of seX superiority, you are LITERALLY showing your ignorance over and over because ps4 doesn't have the next gen mode yet. So there's nothing to compare.

It's glaringly obvious what's going to happen when the mode comes to ps5. Higher frames, more stable visuals. Like every other next gen game so far.

Don't forget to thank dusk golem for that pile of crow on your way out. lol

SaucyJack

No its not. Ps5 runs it better hence what he says is misleading

it still looks and plays great on the Series X. 🤷‍♂️

the tweet does not claim that it performs better on the XSX .......... even if it clearly implies it. This is the distinction between lying and marketing.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Lol who dug up this thread?? It amuses me that we are a month into next gen and people think we have seen all there is to see from the new consoles.

So MS promised the most powerful console since 2018, but in late 2020, 1 month after release, we have to discredit pretty much 100% of next gen faceoffs which has PS5 winning, ignore that and wait for the touted Series X powah to come true.......

We will be waiting just as we waited all those E3's for compelling and genre defining games from Phil.....People need to clue in. They thought AC was a bug performing worse than PS5, but Ubi had to lower rez to push perf up on XBOX, does that not clue you in.....You think every developer is in to sabotage Series X's true power?

yazenov

Lol who dug up this thread?? It amuses me that we are a month into next gen and people think we have seen all there is to see from the new consoles.

It amuses me that you think the Xbox series X will somehow magically improve and games will be better on it than the PS5. All that matters is the here and now, and the results of most of the games tested speaks for themselves.

Why should the consumers wait for the hypothetical future where this magical tools on xbox will vastly improve the games over the PS5. They will go with the console that plays the best 3rd party games on the system that is available now. And it also happens that it has the best exclusives hands down.

It amuses me that you think the Xbox series X will somehow magically improve and games will be better on it than the PS5. All that matters is the here and now, and the results of most of the games tested speaks for themselves.

Why should the consumers wait for the hypothetical future where this magical tools on xbox will vastly improve the games over the PS5. They will go with the console that plays the best 3rd party games on the system that is available now. And it also happens that it has the best exclusives hands down.
the here and now? pretty sure nobody cares about launch titles like a year later. U will not even remember this in 3 years

yazenov

the here and now? pretty sure nobody cares about launch titles like a year later. U will not even remember this in 3 years
Have you heard about the snow ball effect and momentum? The narrative has already been set and people are buying the PS5 in droves due to it having the best 1st party games and also the best place to play 3rd party games because they run and look better on the system. The image will be difficult to change, even if the wishful hope and dreams of the xbox fanboys somehow became true and the 3rd party games on the xbox started to run slightly better than on the PS5 a year or two from now. It wont matter.

Last edited:
Have you heard about the snow ball effect and momentum? The narrative has already been set and people are buying the PS5 in droves due to it having the best 1st party games and also the best place to play 3rd party games because they run and look better on the system. The image will be difficult to change, even if the wishful hope and dreams of the xbox fanboys somehow became true and the 3rd party games on the xbox started to run slightly better than on the PS5 a year or two from now. It wont matter.
i mean, the narrative is that the Xbox is more powerful. Ppl getting a launch console aren't sitting at home waiting for Digital foundry videos to decide. And honestly i would think ppl deciding on a console to buy over the other, just based on console specs is a minority. We are over a decade into this. Ppl are buying PS5 regardless. It doesn't matter if the PS5 was just a ps4 pro in white. Ppl are buying it to stay in the ecosystem, or they luv playstation, or they want to play demons souls or miles morales etc.

we have seen the only thing that is stopping the playstation hype train. Is price. They aint making that mistake ever again.

Top Bottom