• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem reiterates that the Xbox will be more powerful than the PS5 (Admitted to starting console wars, demodded)

anothertech

Again, every word of what he said is true /shrug
How so? The example he posted clearly did not say what he implied it did. I never argued that they never said that elsewhere. After all, it is the most powerful console by the most commonly measured metric.
Lol who dug up this thread?? It amuses me that we are a month into next gen and people think we have seen all there is to see from the new consoles.

"World's most powerful console"

lololol. There's a reason it's changed to "most powerful xbox"

Eat your fucking crow boys.

This.

Xbox - Had no money to design custom parts. Had to use off-the-shelf AMD parts.

Playstation - Had cash to make custom parts. Did cost-benefit analysis to see if their own custom solution was better than off-the-shelf AMD parts. If custom parts didn't exceed vanilla performance, they can just use vanilla parts.

Woah now, let's not get crazy here. MS had plenty of money to do it, which is what makes their decision to go with stock parts that much stranger. The only thing I can assume is that, #1, they wanted maximum compatibility with Desktop Parts to make porting from PC easier, or 2, they actually designed these boxes with servers in mind. Namely, Game Pass/Xcloud servers. (I'm pretty sure MLID suggested similar.)

Sony simply focused on making a super-efficient game console with one purpose in mind, and it's paying off quite well for them.

There was absolutely 0% chance that PS5 would lose the power war. At worst, it would have the same power as the XSX if they had to go with vanilla parts. SONY replaced some of the CUs with GPU cache scrubbers for a reason. How anyone could think XSX had a chance was laughable.
Again, I've gotta caution folks against grabbing and running with a "power superiority" narrative. There's still a very high chance that the Series X, over time, will start to overlap and eclipse the PS5 in terms of performance metrics in a head-to-head comparison. It just won't be anywhere NEAR the massive gap they wanted. We're talking a few more frames here and there and maybe 1800p vs 1600p differences here. I would expect the gap to actually be significantly smaller than the gap between the One X and the Pro.

Last edited:

John Wick

Massive difference. No wonder Mr Bitter and Mr FunSocks are sticking to their guns, blabbing on about machine learning and other things they don't properly understand.
Remember when John from DF said there would be surprises? Xbox fangirls were coming out with memes taking the piss out of Playstation as to what the surprise was. Then the games came out and suddenly the whole narrative changed. You can't take these people seriously. Now they are playing the victim card.

Hezekiah

Banned
Remember when John from DF said there would be surprises? Xbox fangirls were coming out with memes taking the piss out of Playstation as to what the surprise was. Then the games came out and suddenly the whole narrative changed. You can't take these people seriously. Now they are playing the victim card.
Yep and Jason Schreier. I get that he's not everyone's cup of tea, but he's one of the few investigative journalists in gaming, with links across the industry. And not afraid to hurt people's feelings as seen by his articles on Naughty Dog, Ubisoft and Projekt Red.

Last edited:
Assassin's Creed unity ran better on Xbox than Ps4, your theory....

Do you know what the term "generally" means?

Xbox One did have some advantages in terms of CPU performance. There will be games that take advantage of some of the XSX strengths too, I'm sure. But the pattern we are seeing here is that for most game scenarios, PS5 simply runs better.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yo dude is there a reason you say "chanced" instead of "changed"

I see you do this so often across many threads lmao
All the places.. iPhone spellchecker changes all to chances... I fixed four or five times just today.

I believe it is because my language is PT-BR and the word “chance” exists in Portuguese and “change” not.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Lol who dug up this thread?? It amuses me that we are a month into next gen and people think we have seen all there is to see from the new consoles.
This is you just a few months ago
Guess we gotta preare for the digital foundry comparisons.
Lock if old.
Apparently you weren't prepared for the DF comparisons, what happened? You need a few more months to prepare?

For months developers said both consoles are close. For months there was constant jibber jabber about how Teraflops was everything and when both consoles release XSX will show not 15% but up to 40% more performance than PS5. Now all of sudden we gotta wait a few months.

Last edited:
No its not. Ps5 runs it better hence what he says is misleading

He said they will play great on Series X - it’s really not hard to follow :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PS - being more powerful is what makes it more powerful. Which it is. Everything else is moot. PS5 can ‘arguably’ perform better in some cases, but it doesn’t change the laws of physics. Everybody just needs to relax, they’re just consoles.

Krisprolls

Banned
He said they will play great on Series X - it’s really not hard to follow :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PS - being more powerful is what makes it more powerful. Which it is. Everything else is moot. PS5 can ‘arguably’ perform better in some cases, but it doesn’t change the laws of physics. Everybody just needs to relax, they’re just consoles.

More powerful = better overall at what it's made for, running games.

Hence the PS5 being more powerful. It doesn't depend only on CPU and GPU.

Gudji

Don't worry I'm sure the tools will break the laws of physics.

thelastword

Banned
Of course Xbox Series X is the most powerful console. What are we debating here?
Ok let's play Devil's advocate.....PS3 had the best looking games, which were all first party, but it's exotic hardware prevented it from taking the crown in multiplats......Is XBOX like PS3? Where are the best looking first party games on XBOX showing that power that multiplat devs just can't seem to muster........Does the XBOX have some hidden VU's and a second GPU that Codemasters, Capcom, Activision etc... don't know about?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Also, it's ok to admit when you're wrong. I've been wrong too in the past.

Is it so hard to say: "I admit I was wrong, my insider info was wrong. Let's move on now."

I already went down that road.. I'm out of this thread. It's stupid to bring up shit just to have a day making fun of "VFXVeteran". As I said before, I'll never disclose any info I get from my peeps every again. So that's that.

I already went down that road.. I'm out of this thread. It's stupid to bring up shit just to have a day making fun of "VFXVeteran". As I said before, I'll never disclose any info I get from my peeps every again. So that's that.

VFXVeteran u made fun of the ps5, who is laughing now, u claiming to be pro lol, go back to the circus mate, where u belong

Last edited:

StrongGuy

It is not "arguable" and only in "some cases". The PS5 straight-up performs better than the XSX in most cases.
The PS5 was designed the way it is, because it performs better than the XSX design. SONY could have easily went "Herp, derp, Zen 2 CPU + 52 CU RDNA 2". They didn't for a reason.
You can play semantics all you want, but real-world performance favors in the PS5, so the PS5 is the stronger console.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Say, who at Sony peed in VFXVeteran VFXVeteran 's cheerios to warrant the apparent vitriol he feels toward them anyway?

So your insider isn't actually an insider?

My insider worked at a major 1st part Sony studio. He *is* an insider whether he was right/wrong/blue/green or indifferent. That will never change.

Because outside of a PC port first reported elsewhere, none of the info I've seen you post from him has ever really come to fruition, my guy.

The PS5's performance was indeed between a 1080-1080Ti which was told to me over a year ago while everyone was pleading for me to be banned for such a "low end" spec. Perhaps if people stop wishing for the best piece of hardware for $300, we wouldn't be having so many arguments over hardware specs.

I don't give a shit about the 2 SKUs not being an actual PS5 Pro (although he did say that the "Pro" was the version you guys have now).

TLOU will be true so you'll have to wait long and hard for that.

In any case, I don't give a shit about this trolling me over this stuff. I already had multiple pages of arguments over this at the time those things were revealed.. I have no earthly idea why this is coming up YET AGAIN. I'm damn sure not going to spend pages talking about this shit again. That's one of the reason why so many people hate the Sony guys here on GAF. It's like you guys have nothing better to do but to bash people over the XSX. It's pathetic.

Last edited:

Klayzer

People, you're too precious the xbox.

Ps5 is $100 cheaper and performs better. That will continue for the forseeable future. SeX launched with no next gen games on top of all that.

You lost. Just eat the crow. The more you defend the more crow you eat.
Its like they pledged some type of Nightswatch commitment to absurdity, "This night and each thereafter, I shall make excuses/strawman, even against all available logic".

Give it up, the early returns are in favor of Playstation. Making a bunch of excuses and goalposts moving isn't going to change reality. Things will get better im sure, but right now former big talking pimps gotta eat that humble pie.

StrongGuy

My insider worked at a major 1st part Sony studio. He *is* an insider whether he was right/wrong/blue/green or indifferent. That will never change.

The PS5's performance was indeed between a 1080-1080Ti which was told to me over a year ago while everyone was pleading for me to be banned for such a "low end" spec. Perhaps if people stop wishing for the best piece of hardware for $300, we wouldn't be having so many arguments over hardware specs.

I don't give a shit about the 2 SKUs not being an actual PS5 Pro (although he did say that the "Pro" was the version you guys have now).

In any case, I don't give a shit about this trolling me over this stuff. I already had multiple pages of arguments over this at the time those things were revealed.. I have no earthly idea why this is coming up YET AGAIN. I'm damn sure not going to spend pages talking about this shit again. That's one of the reason why so many people hate the Sony guys here on GAF. It's like you guys have nothing better to do but to bash people over the XSX. It's pathetic.

So why were you so sure that the XSX would perform better than the PS5?

Klayzer

In any case, I don't give a shit about this trolling me over this stuff. I already had multiple pages of arguments over this at the time those things were revealed.. I have no earthly idea why this is coming up YET AGAIN. I damn sure am not going to spend pages talking about this shit again. That's one of the reason why so many people hate the Sony guys like the people who brought this thread up and continuously discussing it. It's like you guys have nothing better to do but to bash people over the XSX. It's pathetic.
Yet here you are. So, to be straight, its the friend thats the insider not you. Got it. Why doesn't "your friend" posts his thoughts? Why are we getting it second hand from a known fanboy translator? Would rather hear from a proven source.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yet here you are. So, to be straight, its the friend thats the insider not you. Got it. Why doesn't "your friend" posts his thoughts? Why are we getting it second hand from a known fanboy translator? Would rather hear from a proven source.

Why don't you come up with your own insider? Why don't any game developers post on these boards? Why do I have to answer your questions?

VFXVeteran

Banned
So why were you so sure that the XSX would perform better than the PS5?

It STILL hasn't been proven that the PS5 is the stronger console. Just because MS hasn't gotten their act together with their API and drivers don't mean that this entire 7yrs of a generation will have the XSX *always* lagging behind. The damn consoles just came out 1 month ago.

reinking

Gold Member
It's like you guys have nothing better to do but to bash people over the XSX. It's pathetic.
I do not blame you for staying away from the people calling you out. It is silly. However, this comment is exactly part of the problem and shows you are part of it. There is this "Sonygaf" narrative around here but team green was laying it on thick before launch. Console warring is a two-way street so if you don't want to be a part of it don't participate. When the XBSX starts performing better in some games I can guarantee team green will be gloating and then the "Sonygaf" will have to eat a little crow. That is part of it.

Klayzer

Why don't you come up with your own insider? Why don't any game developers post on these boards? Why do I have to answer your questions?
Aren't you a vetted industry professional? Why go out your way to have that reference, if not to share legit knowledge of the industry. So far, not impressed with your knowledge or sources.

I keep waiting to learn something from you, and all I ever get is Gamefaqs level discoarse from your posts.

Top Bottom