• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem 3D is 25 years old

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, it's okay. We got to experience these games at launch that these kiddos didn't get to. Both sides win! Haha.

Not to mention they'll NEVER understand the amazing infancy of the internet. Man, I really miss the Mplayer, Heat.net, and Gamespy 3D days. Man, and modem to modem!
That is true. Although I will argue that I still got to experience some of the best years of the internet. Internet forums were hot, YouTube launching, MSN etc. Then social media ruined it all.

MiguelItUp

True, just seeing Super Mario 64 for the first time. The first jump from 2D to 3D was something special back then.
Man, right?! I'm turning 37 next month, so I think I caught that wave just in time, haha. I will always remember my first actual experience with that. PSone and N64/Mario 64 demo stations were popping up around the same time. Incredible Universe was a new electronics/appliance store in the area that I wanted to check out. When I got there I was excited to see a huge crowd in the video game section all crowded around the PSone demo station they had and everyone was playing Battle Arena Toshinden. I walked around the store and found a N64/Mario 64 demo station that no one was on (probably since it was away from the video game section) and I got to play it for the first time. Blew my damn mind.

Hell, the first time I saw Quake running on a PC at CompUSA I was MINDBLOWN, haha. That feeling was enhanced by 1000 when I played online for the first time ever.

That is true. Although I will argue that I still got to experience some of the best years of the internet. Internet forums were hot, YouTube launching, MSN etc. Then social media ruined it all.
I'm glad you did, truly! I wish everyone got to experience it, honestly. It really was something special. The internet truly felt like a better place back then. Maybe because it also wasn't as easily accessible as it is nowadays. So you had people that were more responsible and aware, at least more so than trolls, etc.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad you did, truly! I wish everyone got to experience it, honestly. It really was something special. The internet truly felt like a better place back then. Maybe because it also wasn't as easily accessible as it is nowadays. So you had people that were more responsible and aware, at least more so than trolls, etc.
For sure. Times were simpler back then, no drama really. It was nice. Games were complete, no DLC. I'm so glad GAF exists. I just cannot see myself using Reddit or Twitter. Internet forums are where it is at for discussions. Shame more people don't see how much better it is to post on sites like these. More anonymous, too.

MiguelItUp

For sure. Times were simpler back then, no drama really. It was nice. Games were complete, no DLC. I'm so glad GAF exists. I just cannot see myself using Reddit or Twitter. Internet forums are where it is at for discussions. Shame more people don't see how much better it is to post on sites like these. More anonymous, too.
They really were. I miss the simplicity across the board. GAF is the one site I frequent as often as I do. Especially comment on. I still visit reddit as I've had an account ever since the gigantic Digg exodus of yore, haha. But I hardly ever comment for obvious reasons. I mainly just sponge up articles and news. Twitter is a fucking cesspool. The only reason I have one is to follow some bands, video game related news, and advertise my stream. But just like Facebook, I would never really attempt to communicate with strangers because the majority are radical asshats of all forms. I swear to god it's practically made up of people thirsting for "drama" of various forms and trying to cancel this person or that person.

InDaGulag

I wasn't even one year old yet when this game came out. I'll let that sink in. Great game.

giphy.gif

Just wanted to make you guys feel old.

I was 3 when the game came out. I'll be honest, except for 98 and 99 I barely remember the 1990s.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Loved watching my older bro playing this when I was too young to do so. I played it a lot of years later and it still holds up, great game and one of my favorite boomer shooters next to DOOM and Quake.

Last edited:

Loke

Thought I should bump this to say that it has been 20 years since 3D Realms released the now infamous trailer at E3 2001. Of course when the trailer was released the hype machine went into overdrive and people couldn't wait to play. Though unbeknownst to everyone it would take another 10 years before the game was released and the rest is... well, history.

This is what IGN had to say about it back then:
"Characters come to life with picturesque facial animations that are synced perfectly with speech, hair that swings as they bob their heads, eyes that follow gazes, and more. The particle effects system, meanwhile, boasts impressive explosion effects with shimmering fire, shattered glass, and blood spilt in every direction ... Add in real-time lighting effects, interactive environments, and a variation in locales unequaled in any other first-person shooter and you begin to see and understand why Duke Nukem Forever has been one of the most hotly anticipated titles over the last couple of years."

A couple of years ago someone on 4chan leaked a few videos from a livestream of what appears to be the 2001 build. There's no sound but you can clearly see what the game looked like back then in its unfinished state.

makaveli60

Thought I should bump this to say that it has been 20 years since 3D Realms released the now infamous trailer at E3 2001. Of course when the trailer was released the hype machine went into overdrive and people couldn't wait to play. Though unbeknownst to everyone it would take another 10 years before the game was released and the rest is... well, history.

This is what IGN had to say about it back then:

A couple of years ago someone on 4chan leaked a few videos from a livestream of what appears to be the 2001 build. There's no sound but you can clearly see what the game looked like back then in its unfinished state.

-Best videogame trailer ever, I wanted that game so bad.
-DN3D is one of the GOATs
-90s end/00’s beginning - best period of internet history

Top Bottom