• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShockers: Spider-Man on PS5 Won’t Have Physical Release, Saves Won’t Transfer from PS4 Version

Nymphae

Banned
It didn't exist a week ago. NOBODY was asking for it. Like AT ALL! Now all of a sudden it's the worse thing in the world if it doesn't get a physical release?

It's a new release AAA game, AFAIK physical PS5's were preordering in far higher numbers, there is a demand for physical games. The only reason to not release it physically is to save money. I guess all those new players with physical PS5's can still download the digital version!

Aion002

Why would you want your save to carry over from the PS4 version? If you've already played it and you want to buy it again for a remastered version, wouldn't you just want to play the game again?
Well... I would like to have the things I already unlocked in a new game plus, so I could enjoy it again without having to do all the challenges and get all the collectibles again.

"Grinding" once is fine... Twice is annoying.

Basically, enjoy the improvements with the stuff that I already unlocked.

It's a new release AAA game, AFAIK physical PS5's were preordering in far higher numbers, there is a demand for physical games. The only reason to not release it physically is to save money. I guess all those new players with physical PS5's can still download the digital version!

It's not a new release. This is for Spider-Man Remastered. Miles Morales is getting a physical release.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So not only is Miles an up ported Stand alone DLC (who saw that coming lol) but you don’t even get a free upgrade to PS5 if you own Spider man on PS4. Figured this was going to be the case with Sony Up ports, just gonna have to buy them all again.

mckmas8808

Banned

Well you can guy SpiderMan: MM physically. That gets you access to the PS5 OG Spiderman game digitally. Not sure why this is such an issue. A slight bummer, but only very slight.

Nymphae

Banned
It's not a new release. This is for Spider-Man Remastered. Miles Morales is getting a physical release.

It's a new game for PS5. Will it be possible to buy a physical copy of the original game at all on PS5? It's should be.

Last edited:
Why are some being extra dramatic when it was already said the remastered version of Spider-Man will come as a voucher code in the ultimate edition of Spider-Man: Mile Morales? It shouldn't come as a surprise that sometimes there are no physical versions of games. Anything to complain I guess.

And why are some still making Miles Morales is DLC claims? New generations really fuck with people's heads.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes it's only a couple of years old.

It's just a bummer that if you want this game on PS5 you're forced to either buy it digitally, or buy a previous gen version. I'm sure plenty of people out there who shelled out for physical edition PS5's would buy it physically, but the decision has been made for them.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
No physical disc with the game data actually on it means I'll be skipping this, completely incompetent decision to release it like this.

It's just a bummer that if you want this game on PS5 you're forced to either buy it digitally, or buy a previous gen version. I'm sure plenty of people out there who shelled out for physical edition PS5's would buy it physically, but the decision has been made for them.

Yeah more choices are always better.

Might just be like the Modern Warfare Remaster though where you could only get it via the special edition at launch. Then came out as a physical release later.

Fingers crossed.

Chaplain

After Microsoft's purchase of Zenimax Media/Bethesda, Sony will hopefully adapt and fix these blunders asap (i.e., save files, charging for remasters, etc.). Sony's only option now is to follow in MS's footsteps before they begin losing customers.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Well it's a remaster, theoretically an old game, but technically new. DS saves also won't work on PS5, in CoD4R you also had to start from scratch, and so on, it would be a nice feature for sure, but it is what it is, remasters act like new titles. I even think that no save files compatibility is a good thing, it ensures you'll actually play through the whole game rather than just load the favorite parts to just enjoy the updated graphics.

soulbait

DLC code comes with the physical disc of MM Ultimate.
Save files won't transfer because it's a remaster and you get the trophies again. If you could transfer saves, you'd instantly unlock your old trophies

What's In the Box

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Launch Edition includes:

• Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered*
  • T.R.A.C.K. Suit*
  • Second Spidey Suit – TBA*
  • Gravity Well Gadget*
  • Extra Skill Points*
*Account for PlayStation™Network, and internet connection required for code redemption. Code expires 01/01/2024. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Launch Edition includes a voucher code for Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered – the complete award-winning game, including all three DLC chapters in the Marvel’s Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps adventure – remastered and enhanced for PS5™.

Do people really care about trophies or gamerscore?

martino

it means you cannot get remastered version of spiderman from a second hand copy (and people need to be aware of that because not all shop do the job well)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So basically, for those who only buy discs (which apparently is a lot on this board), Sony is saying you don't deserve a version you can play of the best version of the game? Interesting. Enjoy your PS4 version I guess.

EDMIX

I had a feeling it would be something like that as didn't they say it was an extra for those who got some special edition of the game? How many times do those extras literally come with a disk of the extra feature though?
This has happened many times in the past and many times they don't really have a disk version, its simply some download.

Only time I can really remember of actually getting a physical game as a bonus was all the way back when Wind Waker released and you could get the Ocarina of Time disk, but clearly that was because they had no way of even giving you some download.

GustavoLT

Playstation has a problem with saves...
if you played Horizon standard and than get the complete edition, the saves won´t work!

the console read than as two different games

Last edited:
Why is every media outlet throwing a fit b/c your old save won't work on a remaster? I can't think of any remaster that let you carry your save over. Now if you put your PS4 copy in and play it through BC and the save doesn't carry over that's something to get mad about.

yurinka

So not only is Miles an up ported Stand alone DLC (who saw that coming lol) but you don’t even get a free upgrade to PS5 if you own Spider man on PS4. Figured this was going to be the case with Sony Up ports, just gonna have to buy them all again.
You will be able to play your Spiderman PS4 on PS5 using backwards compatibility for free and so on. Same goes with cross gen games with a PS5 version like Miles Morales, Horizon or Cyberpunk, which also will give you the PS5 version for free if you own the PS4 version, because they are basically the same game for two consoles of the same architecture with basically some graphical options changed as the only differences, they aren't a fully remastered game like the Spiderman PS5 remaster.

What they won't give you for free and doesn't carries trophies or progress is a remaster, because the remaster is a separate game, and in the case of the Spiderman PS5 remaster features new content, trophies and its 3 DLCs. They don't give it away or free because game companies sell remasters and never gave them away for free.

They won't give you for free the Spiderman PS5 remaster if you have the original, in the same way they won't give you for free the Demon's Souls PS5 remake if you have the PS3 one, in the same way they don't give you for free the Halo MCC to the ones who had the original ones or they didn't giveaway for free TLOUR to the TLOU users. Remasters and remakes need work and they charge for it. They even charge for old roms packed with an emulator and a menu, look at Nintendo or Capcom.

Last edited:

FranXico

They won't give you for free the Spiderman PS5 remaster if you have the original, in the same way they won't give you for free the Demon's Souls PS5 remake if you have the PS3 one, in the same way they don't give you for free the Halo MCC to the ones who had the original ones or they didn't giveaway for free TLOUR to the TLOU users. Remasters and remakes need work and they charge for it.
Yeah, I was wondering. When you inserted your Xbox360 Gears of War 1 disc in the Xbox One, did you get to download and play Gears of War Ultimate for free?

Warablo

Sony going the remaster generation route, instead of backwards compatibility. These consoles are the same, let them play the games you bought already.

Yeah, I was wondering. When you inserted your Xbox360 Gears of War 1 disc in the Xbox One, did you get to download and play Gears of War Ultimate for free?
I mean at least with that, there was a 7 year difference and different console architecture. Spiderman released in 2018.

Last edited:

sendit

Do they still sell physical copies of it at retail? Into next year?

I heard you prefer physical releases so i'm doing you a solid by providing you a few links to where you can purchase it:

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

"Developer Insomniac Games has confirmed some additional details on the upcoming remastered version of Spider-Man in response to fan questions on Twitter. Specifically, Insomniac detailed that the remastered version for Spider-Man will not be receiving a physical release for PS5, and will solely be a standalone digital title (and also is included with the Ultimate Edition of Miles Morales). In addition, Insomniac also confirmed that save files from the original PS4 release won’t be supported or transferred, meaning you’ll have to start over if you’ve made any progress in the PS4 version.

But why?
For more money?

Shmunter

The media should be lambasting Sony here to high heaven. It’s good that you ‘remastered’ it. But I don’t believe it was a high effort, I think most of the work is based on MM, and as a consequence I don’t see why I should rebuy the game and lose my save.

All the excitement for next gen, wanting to see some cool shit, and Sony just goes out of their way to pour water on it.

Show me the videos then, let us judge how remastered it really is. Bad Sony!

FritzJ92

They believe in generations, so of course your save wouldn't transfer from one gen console to the next.

Meanwhile random shitty indie trash game on Xbox 360 still has my save file because MS implemented/forced devs to use the cloud save system. Hell, my Live account even lapsed for about a year or 2, and my saves were still there waiting for me when I resubbed on Xbox One.

Who wins?

You win! The Customer Wins! Xbox has been planning for a awhile lol

Yoboman

The media should be lambasting Sony here to high heaven. It’s good that you ‘remastered’ it. But I don’t believe it was a high effort, I think most of the work is based on MM, and as a consequence I don’t see why I should rebuy the game and lose my save.

All the excitement for next gen, wanting to see some cool shit, and Sony just goes out of their way to pour water on it.

You can just play the PS4 version you know?

BluRayHiDef

Banned

People had to buy The Last of Us Remastered even if they already bought the original The Last of Us. So, what's the difference? Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered will feature new segments, new trophies, enhanced character and object models, a higher density of pedestrians and vehicles, nearly instantaneous loading times, and ray tracing. Why are these additions not worth a new purchase? They will combine to create a new, more impressive experience.

People had to buy The Last of Us Remastered even if they already bought the original The Last of Us. So, what's the difference? Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered will feature new segments, new trophies, enhanced character and object models, a higher density of pedestrians and vehicles, nearly instantaneous loading times, and ray tracing. Why are these additions not worth a new purchase? They will combine to create a new, more impressive experience.
how dare you this is the first remaster ever without a free upgrade path that doesn't carry over your saves literally the first time ever ever

Shmunter

Show me the money!

Shmunter

Just played the ‘Remaster’. Sacrificing 60fps for raytracing is simply not worth it for me, and I’d say the majority at large. The high speed of the game means you don’t sit there slowly oogling the tech and the fake reflections sell the setting sufficiently.

The selection of lighting in the original opening section is a lot better looking...subjective.

This remaster is a cash grab. If they unlocked the original framerate to 60, there would be no need for this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom