• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[dualshockers] PS1 PS2 PS3 Backward Compatibility Possibly Teased for PlayStation 5 By PlayStation Japan

Will it happen ?

• #TeamReal

• #TeamFake

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose92

[Membe
PS1-PS2-PS3-Backward-Compatibility-Possibly-Teased-for-PlayStation-5.jpg

PlayStation Japan teases on Twitter possible PS1 PS2 PS3 Backwards Compatibility announcement​

The tweet from PlayStation_Jp reads: “#Kenshi Yonezu x #PlayStation. Kenshi Yonezu worked on a new ad for PlayStation. 1-2-3 is PlayStation’s icon. Booting on January 23”.

A short video is included in the tweet. The four PlayStation DualShock controller buttons appear, followed by the name Kenshi Yonezu in kanji, and lastly, the date January 23 is displayed. Note that this date is also written “123”. This could be another sign that PS1, PS2, and PS3 backward compatibility is coming to PS5.

Could be nothing

edit:
Original PS1 Adverts which had the 1 ( ichi ) 2 ( ni ) 3 ( san ) slogan because ps1 launched on 12/3/1994 could be related.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

If this is true, I wonder if you can insert your old games and they will work or you will have to buy them online.. if its the first... man I have huge ps1 and ps2 games lol.

Last edited:

Fbh

Seems like a reach. But who knows, would be cool.

However, I'm actually okay with stuff like this spreading, it at least gains enough attention to let Sony know there's demand out there.

"we've heard you loud and clear. Older generations of consoles are important and we agree....which is why we are proud to announce Spiderman 2 and Wolverine will also be coming to Ps4 after all"

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
can someone translate the tweet ?

I also wonder if you can insert your old games and they will work or you will have to buy them online.. if its the first... man I have huge ps1 and ps2 games lol.
They don’t have the laser for the earlier discs do they?

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Does the PS5 really not have the ability to read cd's? Just seems weird as it's integrated into most Blu ray drives. I hope they can figure something out, I have a cabinet full of PS2 games and a few PS1 ones.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

They don’t have the laser for the earlier discs do they?
hmm.. I never thought about that. but it's not like the Xbox series X for example can read the actual original Xbox games. just detect what is the game and download it from the server. this is what Xbox does and I hope the PlayStation follows the same thing.

I am not gonna rebuy the games I already bought fuck this. It's one of the MAIN reasons I switched to PC only.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'll be happy until the moment they try and charge me again for shit I already bought on PS3/Vita, which I'm sure they will.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This is fake news. Leave it to these people to headline with speculation that's an obviously massive stretch without doing any research.

What this is is a tease of a TV commercial featuring a locally famous singer named Kenshi Yonezu, which is being delivered today (1/23) to Japanese Playstation users, debuting his new song.

1, 2, 3 is a slogan for PlayStation Japan, and a reference to 12/3, which is PlayStation's birthday in Japan.

And if anyone is wondering, the commercial this is about features absolutely no reference to any form of backward compatibility.

Seriously, it's ridiculous that someone even decided that their speculation was worth a fake news piece. Guess the weekend breeds desperation.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I see no reason to believe backwards compatibility because of a silly video older dualshocks. Smells like a clickbait thread to me.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
hmm.. I never thought about that. but it's not like the Xbox series X for example can read the actual original Xbox games. just detect what is the game and download it from the server. this is what Xbox does and I hope the PlayStation follows the same thing.

I am not gonna rebuy the games I already bought again fuck this. It's one of the MAIN reasons I switched to PC only.
Xbox games are on DVD. PSX games are on CD and the PS4 and PS5 can’t read CDs. There are also some early PS2 games that shipped on CD.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm going to say team fake, unless it's first party titles.

Because I just can't see how they can do anything worth while due to licensing issues etc.

Unless it's going to be their way off reintroducing PSNOW, cause it has titles like ff7/8/9 etc

Elios83

Fake.
It has no sense to announce BC tomorow before Spartacus is announced given that any sort of BC Sony is planning is probably cloud based and they want to keep that announcement as big positive for Spartacus.
As always some websites are desperate for hits.
Now you'll find the same stupidity copied on every site.

wvnative

Seems like a reach. But who knows, would be cool.

"we've heard you loud and clear. Older generations of consoles are important and we agree....which is why we are proud to announce Spiderman 2 and Wolverine will also be coming to Ps4 after all"
lol

Wasn't saying they'd do anything about it, but showing such a strong desire for legacy support online is NOT a bad thing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They made a ps1 emulator for the vita. Not sure what’s stopping them from doing it now. Duckstation is open source and looks good on modern displays.

//DEVIL//

Xbox games are on DVD. PSX games are on CD and the PS4 and PS5 can’t read CDs. There are also some early PS2 games that shipped on CD.
Not that it matters but ps5 can’t read CDs ? Didn’t know the ps5 can’t read music cds . I know it’s old stuff but for whatever reason I thought it actually can .

At least ps2 and ps3 it can . Don’t make me rebuy these games that were shipped with dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom