• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 5 May Come With A Wireless Charging Adaptor.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to the recently granted patent, a wireless charging adapter with a housing can be attached to a DualShock controller. The housing will include keys that can be programmed to mimic the original keys of the controller when without the wireless charging adapter. Hence, a player can choose to keep the wireless charging adapter and keep playing without any hassle.

A wireless charging adapter that can snap onto a computer game controller can be inductively coupled to a charging base to wirelessly recharge a battery in the controller. The adapter also can include keys that mirror keys on the controller so that a gamer can remove the adapter with controller from the charging base, keep the adapter on the controller, and use both the controller keys and adapter keys to control a computer game.
The adapter, though, will be coupled with a charging base to allow for wireless charging. In a particular quoted scenario, the player can place the adapter-snapped DualShock controller on the charging base and keep playing. Else, when off the charging base, the adapter itself will supply additional power through the controller’s original battery.

The charging base has a flat mat-like surface on which the adapter is positioned to charge the battery. If desired, the adapter can be electrically engaged with the electrical component in the controller housing through at least one electrical wire engaged with an input/output port such as a universal serial bus (USB) port or extension port on the game controller.

Furthermore, the charging base can be configured to hold (and charge) multiple DualShock controllers at once. In addition, the adapter keys can be mapped as desired by the player for a full functional controller.
12-768x1086.png

123-768x1086.png

I honestly believe there is so much more stuff Sony has yet to reveal regarding PS5 and they may be holding back until the last possible moment.

Its good to go in completely blind, not knowing whats coming. Not saying MS approach is wrong. I actually like that we get trickle of info from MS as it gives us something to chat about.

I hope its an accessories/adapter that can be purchased separately instead of being standard and adding an unnecessary cost to the overall console simply for the cool factor.

If im putting my controller down to charge, im obviously not using it, so a more cost effective wired method isnt going to affect usability.

If im charging while playing, I dont want some bulky adapter attached to the controller.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Wireless charging is significantly slower and it's worse for the battery, if I'm going to put down the controller to charge why not make it a physical connection?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I honestly believe there is so much more stuff Sony has yet to reveal regarding PS5 and they may be holding back until the last possible moment.

Its good to go in completely blind, not knowing whats coming. Not saying MS approach is wrong. I actually like that we get trickle of info from MS as it gives us something to chat about.

Tht bc family reveal and the other things up their sleeve is going to be epic. We are just going to be bombarded with dope info and features 😊

SleepDoctor

Banned
Only 15 posts in a ps5 related thread lol interest is definitely through the roof 🔥🔥. Even Sony warriors are spending more time in xsx threads.

OT: I'll stick to my usb cable or a dock. Anything but this bulky looking garbage.

FranXico

It won’t be packed in with the unit. Take that to the bank.

Peripherals are an easy opportunity to milk the user base. Always has been and that won’t change.
Well, his accessory will not be popular at all. We can expect that. Waste of resources I think.

how about just increase the battery life in the controller 1st we have wireless charging stations for cellphones. There pretty much useless if your USING your device the only benefit this would have is when you put the controller down it will charge which that alone give me very little hope of an improved DS controller battery life.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Useless! Just make the battery be as good (without it dying by itself due to shit software) as the Switch Pro.

Pallas

Would this just drive up the price of the console? Assuming the wireless charging adapter was of decent quality.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Listen I think this is a good feature, and while I wouldn’t use it, I think it’s a smart idea.

BUT.

You DO know that if you put your controller on top of an oroginal PS4, it will be about 12cm in height, and that the PS5 will likely taller...?

Which means all those people moaning about not fitting an XS into your entertainment unit, you’re not going to be able to use this 🤣

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fucking pointless.
Even less usable then wireless phone charging.

Give me replaceable batteries

Mista

Banned
Love the idea especially if it supports fast charging. Otherwise I'd stick with a wired charge because I can't play while its wirelessly charging

Unless I get another controller of course which will eventually happen
I'd actually prefer this over some extra redundant teraflops, to be filthy frankly honest 🤷‍♂️
Keep fighting the good fight. You might also want to change those fanboy pants because they're stinking

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
For me the AA battery option from the Xbox One controller was the best solution. 30+ hours of gaming with Enelopps and changing them is a matter of seconds.
Yup I've bought Eneloops for my X360 and they still work fine on my XONE controller. The main downside of Microsoft's solution is that they can make the controller feel much heavier than the Dualshock, but you can get used to it.

Last edited:
Love the idea especially if it supports fast charging. Otherwise I'd stick with a wired charge because I can't play while its wirelessly charging

Unless I get another controller of course which will eventually happen

Keep fighting the good fight. You might also want to change those fanboy pants because they're stinking
Soon.
gFR4m65.jpg

SleepDoctor

Banned
I don't need this shit, put all the money on making a powerfull console instead.

Just trying to nickel and dime people. Worst case I play with my usb cable plugged in. But I usually just swap controllers when one dies.

This is as pointless as the back button add on they just released imo.

I hope its an accessories/adapter that can be purchased separately instead of being standard and adding an unnecessary cost to the overall console simply for the cool factor.

If im putting my controller down to charge, im obviously not using it, so a more cost effective wired method isnt going to affect usability.

If im charging while playing, I dont want some bulky adapter attached to the controller.
Yeah, I had the exact same thought. I don't need the cost of the console increasing for something that really isn't necessary. They're talking about the price point of the console possibly being $499 and if this is something that would bring it down a good $25 bucks, I'd prefer they just ax it. On the other hand, if it only adds a few dollars to the cost of manufacturing, I'm all for it. I think the idea is neat and convenient for charging with a bit of "wow" factor thrown in.

Bandi

Banned

I dont know why pretend like its a fact or something. The information there is based on a PATENT. Patents dont mean anything, it does not mean that it will be released, it may even be never released at all.. or it could take YEARS.

I dont know why pretend like its a fact or something. The information there is based on a PATENT. Patents dont mean anything, it does not mean that it will be released, it may even be never released at all.. or it could take YEARS.
Or it could be out day one for PS5 OMG get hype!!!!!

Top Bottom