• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge | Review Thread

I have a lot of friends who passed on this controller and judging by a lot of comments I have a feeling it didn't sell great and could see a price cut by the holiday season

If they do drop a good chunk in price I’ll probably buy a second one for my “casual” PS5 I have set up in the living room.

I am waiting anxiously for your opinion on the victrix. Looks really good for the price with a lot of options.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If they do drop a good chunk in price I’ll probably buy a second one for my “casual” PS5 I have set up in the living room.

I am waiting anxiously for your opinion on the victrix. Looks really good for the price with a lot of options.
My Best Buy order keeps getting delayed on the Victrix

Most reviews seem very positive on it except one I saw he mentioned the buttons were smaller and closer together than the Dualsense and he was accidently pressing other buttons which concerns me having large hands

But will for sure give thoughts on it when (If) it arrives

My Best Buy order keeps getting delayed on the Victrix

Most reviews seem very positive on it except one I saw he mentioned the buttons were smaller and closer together than the Dualsense and he was accidently pressing other buttons which concerns me having large hands

But will for sure give thoughts on it when (If) it arrives

I’ll have to look into some of those reviews. I have large hands too and really long fingers so that might be a no go for me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I got mine in the mail today. It's literally a religious experience. I'll never touch another controller for the rest of my life.
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

RafterXL

185% price increase. 33% decrease in battery size. But people are weird for complaining about it?

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity
Yeah, anyone stanning for the battery is an idiot. I could see if EVERY controller were this poor on battery life, or even even if it was remotely comparable to other controllers in longevity, but it's such an anomaly compared to every other device on the market it's just absurd to defend it as no big deal.

Put it this way, the DualSense had, by far, the worst battery life of ANY controller available, and the Edge is substantially worse. That's not a good thing, no matter how people try and twist it.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, anyone stanning for the battery is an idiot. I could see if EVERY controller were this poor on battery life, or even even if it was remotely comparable to other controllers in longevity, but it's such an anomaly compared to every other device on the market it's just absurd to defend it as no big deal.

Put it this way, the DualSense had, by far, the worst battery life of ANY controller available, and the Edge is substantially worse. That's not a good thing, no matter how people try and twist it.

I have to agree. It is a known criticism of PlayStation controllers for a while. But to drop 33% off the battery life of a $200 "pro" controller? Fine for folks who buy it knowing what they are getting. Their money and all. But to suggest others are "weird" for complaining is just absurd.

Kvally

Banned
I have to agree. It is a known criticism of PlayStation controllers for a while. But to drop 33% off the battery life of a $200 "pro" controller? Fine for folks who buy it knowing what they are getting. Their money and all. But to suggest others are "weird" for complaining is just absurd.
Now that I think about it, since I game on my couch and my Macbook is on the table next to me, I could plug in the 9' braided cable into my laptop and be wired with my new Dual Sense Edge!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Yeah the battery life isn't an issue for me as my all time favorite controller is a Razer wired controller and I sit well close enough to plug in if I need it

Honestly for my use case Sony only comes up short by only having 2 back paddles and not 4

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I received two in the mail even though I ordered one. Can I get in trouble for this.
Trouble? No

Worst that could happen is whoever sent them realizes they sent you two then charges you for the second one

Honestly if a charge doesnt show up in a few days I think you are in the clear.

We ordered some outdoor furniture once through Home Depot and got a second set delivered the next day and was never charged for it, shit happens

TexMex

My impressions:

This is by far the best dual sense controller. All of the options from the Xbox elite controller are present, when you plug it in you’re prompted to set up your profiles and all that, it’s easy to set, change back buttons, change the trigger pulls, change the joysticks etc.

However - i like all of that stuff but the big thing for me with the Xbox Elite was the feel. I like feeling something more premium, a little heavier. This is 100% just the exact same dual sense controller with slightly more texture on the handles. If you closed your eyes you would have no idea.

Same great controller, way more options. How much you care about profiles, trigger time and back buttons is what you should base it on.

RafterXL

OK, so when the controller came in I charged it up and then decided to see how long it would last for myself. Well, it just died. I tested with Midnight Suns, which has no DS features at all, and very little rumble compared to many games. Controller ighting set to Dim, feedback to Medium, from start to disconnect was 4hr15min.

Astrobot would kill the battery in 2 hours tops. Any game that uses any DS features won't be far behind, and if you keep them at max settings it will be even shorter. That's absurd. Hopefully some 3rd party batteries show up soon.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
again...excuse the mess. Making a bunch of shit for a cookout this weekend and I have flour all over the scale.

Very close to the Elite Core which suprised me. The core just feels heavier...could be the size dimensions between the two that is throwing my feel of the Edge off?

EaJgrSq.png
And adding in the PDP/victrix controller…with cakes made from cocaine obviously.

hMJeDpi.jpg

Last edited:

Esca

OK, so when the controller came in I charged it up and then decided to see how long it would last for myself. Well, it just died. I tested with Midnight Suns, which has no DS features at all, and very little rumble compared to many games. Controller ighting set to Dim, feedback to Medium, from start to disconnect was 4hr15min.

Astrobot would kill the battery in 2 hours tops. Any game that uses any DS features won't be far behind, and if you keep them at max settings it will be even shorter. That's absurd. Hopefully some 3rd party batteries show up soon.
That's scary cause midnight suns as you said doesn't use any features and little rumble. That scares me away from this controller till battery life is at ds levels

I got the PDP pro bfg controller in on Thursday. It is $20 bucks cheaper and has an incredible amount of customization available for the pad. I would consider this very niche hardware. I should get the Edge in sometime this week as well.

I don't need a dongle for the Edge (the bfg controller requires one to work wirelessly with pc/console) but I am looking forward to giving them both a go to see which I like better (assuming the bfg gets the win here).
Does the BFG pro have gyro support and adaptive triggers? Didn't see it mentioned on the page.

Forsete

Great feeling controller. Real high quality me-finks.

Only played a bit of Horizon.
Will do more of a deep dive this weekend.

TrebleShot

Just got mine about an hour ago,
Its damn nice.
Feels premium, in built customization and on the fly profile swapping is incredible, I haven't experienced this level of ease and customisation in a controller before.

Back buttons and trigger stops and custom stick curves (per profile) are transformative tbh.

Tested in BF2042, COD MW2 and GT7 and it was flawless.

Worth noting the additional sticks are solid and feel premium compared to the stock ones, surprisingly concave is great.

Also there are textures on the triggers, whilst seems small, makes a big difference in addition to that the handles have a rubberised finish to them which is great also.

This is a massive step up from the DS, you have to try it and how customizable it is and not just customise - set and go, its actually instant profile swapping and in game button swaps and sticks etc in seconds.

I dont think they have explained or showed off the software aspect of it.

I thought the function buttons were releases for the sticks but they swap profiles and allow you quick access the customisation of the profiles.

Got around to playing with the controller today finally. Played Dead Space Remake for six hours and I was on the last bar on the battery. This is with leaving everything at default minus the use of back buttons.

Overall the controller feels amazing. I used the longer back buttons and they’re much better than the dome IMO and way better than the scuf back buttons. Very akin to the elite controllers.

The cable is super long for me and is much longer than the one scuf throws in. I don’t feel like I will ever need to worry about pulling the cord out of the back so I didn’t use the added lock.

Gonna finish Dead Space and then try it with some MH rise on Monday.

Overall I’m happy with my purchase.

Ronin_7

Banned
Got to play with one today, sadly mine only arrives Monday.

Overall it's insane & the software is simply jaw dropping, my friend already has All profiles set & it's flawless the switch between them.

Feels great.

More to Come next week.

Housh

Scuf Reflex is better for gaming cause of the grip and 4 back buttons but has bad build quality.

Edge is better than Elite Series 2 build quality but no grip texture and less back buttons.

Trade off for extra back buttons was that it properly fits in the official DualSense controller charger and smart move by Sony to sell more chargers as this will be many people's second controller. Scuf Reflex doesn't fit in the charger cradle so you play plugged in most of the time.

I like the little nib buttons over the levers that are similar to Elite Series 2.

I'm keeping Edge with my PS5 and will get Hall replacement sticks once they are released.

Gonna use Scuf Reflex with PC now more than Elite Series 2.

Justin9mm

No, I am not missing the point. If you find something that does not meet your needs for the price it is asking, you can simply ignore it, not get it. There is no point in spending money on something that you think isn't worth the asking price. Simply complaining about it isn't going to do a thing in fixing the thing you don't think is worth the price OR if it doesn't have the features you want. Just don't buy it....and the company will get the message.

So, I mean, if you want to complain over and over...you are more then welcome to do it. But I can still say it's pointless. :D

If I didn't want it I would simply not get it. I liked the Elite controller and so I got it, I used it mainly when playing the Xbox until the RB button stopped working properly.

If ppl didn't protest or complain about companies rorting people then they can get away with anything. It's got nothing to do with it meeting or not meeting my needs. Your basically saying that it's ok for companies to charge whatever the fuck they want.

Its a case of being overpriced not whether it's worth it or not to me. If you can't see that Sony are knowingly taking advantage then you are part of the problem and why they charge what they do. They know that there are people out there that will blindly pay whatever they charge because they lap up everything PlayStation that they release, this is taking advantage of consumers.

You do you, enjoy your controller, when it's more appropriately priced, I may pick one up. Even if I was a billionaire, I still wouldn't pay it. Sony certainly did not need to charge this much for it. This is about principle not affordability.

If ppl didn't protest or complain about companies rorting people then they can get away with anything. It's got nothing to do with it meeting or not meeting my needs. Your basically saying that it's ok for companies to charge whatever the fuck they want.

You sound like damn reee communist. Its a damn controller, not some essential good or service.

So far I’m really loving mine. I’ve played some MW/Destiny/Dead Space/Horizon and it’s been really great.

Is it transforming my gameplay? I wouldn’t say yes but it definitely makes me play better.

I’ve set up two profiles so far. One for FPS using the dynamic stick sensitivity with X/O on the paddles, all the vibration and trigger effects off and hair triggers on. The other is simply just a precise stick sensitivity with X/O on the paddles for action games.

I’m using the half dome paddles as I don’t need to adjust the way I hold the controller and I’m more intentional with my presses. Not really a fan of the other paddles as they remind me of the elite paddles that I really dislike.

Makes me want an Elite controller but the only paddles I never hated appear to not be made anymore (Scuf).

Its a case of being overpriced not whether it's worth it or not to me. If you can't see that Sony are knowingly taking advantage then you are part of the problem and why they charge what they do. They know that there are people out there that will blindly pay whatever they charge because they lap up everything PlayStation that they release, this is taking advantage of consumers.

You do you, enjoy your controller, when it's more appropriately priced, I may pick one up. Even if I was a billionaire, I still wouldn't pay it. Sony certainly did not need to charge this much for it. This is about principle not affordability.
Yeah, they can charge whatever they want. That's how the free market works. The price is based on what the market can bear.

This isn't even that egregious. Who can forget the classic Ken Kutaragi quote: you'll buy PS3 at any price -- even if you have to get a second job at Burger King to pay for it.

And he was right.

I got the PDP pro bfg controller in on Thursday. It is $20 bucks cheaper and has an incredible amount of customization available for the pad. I would consider this very niche hardware. I should get the Edge in sometime this week as well.

I don't need a dongle for the Edge (the bfg controller requires one to work wirelessly with pc/console) but I am looking forward to giving them both a go to see which I like better (assuming the bfg gets the win here).

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order from? It sounds like both Amazon and Best Buy orders were delayed at the last minute after already being delayed twice before.

Does the BFG pro have gyro support and adaptive triggers? Didn't see it mentioned on the page.

No, it doesn't support either. I'm guessing no 3rd party controllers will be supporting haptic feedback or adaptive triggers.

No, it doesn't support either. I'm guessing no 3rd party controllers will be supporting haptic feedback or adaptive triggers.

That's a shame. In my opinion Returnal is the only PS5 exclusive worth it's salt and I couldn't imagine paying it without adaptive triggers.

(Ratchet & Clank too I guess but I don't remember if they use it)

That's a shame. In my opinion Returnal is the only PS5 exclusive worth it's salt and I couldn't imagine paying it without adaptive triggers.

(Ratchet & Clank too I guess but I don't remember if they use it)
Yep, they were used in Ratchet and Clank as well.

It's going to be interesting to see if Sony continues to make games that require adaptive triggers after this. Either they'll make sure all of their games feature the tech as part of the gameplay to push people to towards their own controllers, or they'll stop requiring the use of dual triggers with the understanding that not everyone will have their controllers.

I also have to wonder if they could choose to update games like Returnal to work without adaptive triggers, where a full trigger pull still counts as alt-fire, and anything less than that is your standard fire. That might work, but not all that well.

Yep, they were used in Ratchet and Clank as well.

It's going to be interesting to see if Sony continues to make games that require adaptive triggers after this. Either they'll make sure all of their games feature the tech as part of the gameplay to push people to towards their own controllers, or they'll stop requiring the use of dual triggers with the understanding that not everyone will have their controllers.

I also have to wonder if they could choose to update games like Returnal to work without adaptive triggers, where a full trigger pull still counts as alt-fire, and anything less than that is your standard fire. That might work, but not all that well.

Well I think Returnal is coming out on PC soon actually, so I guess we'll see how they handle it.

That's also a good point. Honestly how many games used the DS4's touch pad, it was a glorified start button. Or the Sixaxis motion controls?

I guess I shouldn't worry too much about the adaptive triggers. Sony seems more interested in selling the tech than implementing it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's also a good point. Honestly how many games used the DS4's touch pad, it was a glorified start button. Or the Sixaxis motion controls?

I guess I shouldn't worry too much about the adaptive triggers. Sony seems more interested in selling the tech than implementing it.
I shut the adaptive triggers off

Seriously they could have left them out of a "pro" controller for me anyhow

After a few days of using this thing its 100% going to be replacing all my regular dual sense controllers

Not to beat a dead horse but last night played Hell Let Loose 100% in armor which causes a lot of rumble and the controller died in about 3.5 hours

REDRZA MWS

I shut the adaptive triggers off

Seriously they could have left them out of a "pro" controller for me anyhow

After a few days of using this thing its 100% going to be replacing all my regular dual sense controllers

Not to beat a dead horse but last night played Hell Let Loose 100% in armor which causes a lot of rumble and the controller died in about 3.5 hours
Yeah, see, I’m always in for upgraded hardware and controllers, own both elite series 1 and 2. I cannot support the battery life of these controllers. The standard dual sense is a joke. Imagine paying 200 for less play time.

sainraja

No, as I said, don't buy it if it does not meet your needs. Sony will get the message. Otherwise, unless you are saying all this in a survey they are doing, it will most likely not reach the product team behind the controller. They **might** have people who might do some desk research, where they go out looking for the type of feedback they are getting and don't worry, most reviewers have highlighted the two biggest issues they are finding with the controller, so they are most likely getting the feedback they need in order to work on addressing in future iterations of which I hope there are.

Its a case of being overpriced not whether it's worth it or not to me. If you can't see that Sony are knowingly taking advantage then you are part of the problem and why they charge what they do. They know that there are people out there that will blindly pay whatever they charge because they lap up everything PlayStation that they release, this is taking advantage of consumers
I don't think the product team behind the controller woke up one day and thought "How can we take advantage of people today?!?" No, I think they were trying to create something that they thought people would want. They likely had constraints around how they could design the controller with the features it shipped with. They can definitely be completely wrong in the decisions they made, be 50/50, or meet some people's need and not others, where they learn the things they need to change.

So there you go. You are not getting the controller because you don't think the price they are asking is worth it. You are doing exactly as I was saying. I don't see the problem....you can choose to get it despite its flaws (which is what I did) or skip on it, get it later etc (what you are doing).

Last edited:
the Elite series controllers where my favorite controller of all time before getting this sucker and I’ll tell you what, this thing blows it out of the water besides the battery.

Miyazaki’s Slave Miyazaki’s Slave One more question about the Victrix BFG, if you wouldn't mind clearing something up. I saw some you tube comment claiming that you can't map the back buttons to d-pad directions. Is that actually true, or did someone just not know what they're talking about?

The official instructions for the controller say the back buttons can be mapped to "any button," and the same instructions refer to the "down d-pad button" in a different section, so I'm hoping that comment was just completely wrong. That would be an unfortunate limitation if true.

Justin9mm

No, as I said, don't buy it if it does not meet your needs. Sony will get the message. Otherwise, unless you are saying all this in a survey they are doing, it will most likely not reach the product team behind the controller. They **might** have people who might do some desk research, where they go out looking for the type of feedback they are getting and don't worry, most reviewers have highlighted the two biggest issues they are finding with the controller, so they are most likely getting the feedback they need in order to work on addressing in future iterations of which I hope there are.

I don't think the product team behind the controller woke up one day and thought "How can we take advantage of people today?!?" No, I think they were trying to create something that they thought people would want. They likely had constraints around how they could design the controller with the features it shipped with. They can definitely be completely wrong in the decisions they made, be 50/50, or meet some people's need and not others, where they learn the things they need to change.

So there you go. You are not getting the controller because you don't think the price they are asking is worth it. You are doing exactly as I was saying. I don't see the problem....you can choose to get it despite its flaws (which is what I did) or skip on it, get it later etc (what you are doing).
Sony saw a market that they hadn't put their foot in and their 100% goal was how can they capitalise on that. The 'How can we take advantage of people today?' is exactly what they were thinking, maybe just not in those words.

My problem is companies are increasingly pushing the boundary on what they can charge because as I said they are taking advantage of their loyal consumers. Just like Nvidia and the pricing of their 4090 cards. They are certainly not thinking about their consumers at all.

I've been gaming 30+ years, I know how Sony are because I've been buying their products and seeing exactly what they have been doing from their gaming division and other divisions for almost 30 years. I think I have some experience in understanding how they operate.

Anyway, you look at it differently and that's fine because you are entitled to.

Top Bottom