• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge | Review Thread

Kvally

Banned
Battery sucks no doubt but not a real issue for me because I play wired a lot anyhow

But mine are out for delivery

Wait Goodbye GIF by Silicon Valley
Mine is out for delivery.....and I have to work.....and it's snowing.......and I feel like the water from the snow might go through the packaging while it sits at my front door till I get home.....maybe I should just buy another.....

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Mine is out for delivery.....and I have to work.....and it's snowing.......and I feel like the water from the snow might go through the packaging while it sits at my front door till I get home.....maybe I should just buy another.....
I would buy another, just to be safe and all ;)

Umbasaborne

Banned
I actually just bought an elite controller series 2 to use with my new pc. Would have bought this but i had 200 bucks in gamestop store credit to use.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just got notification from my nest doorbell that it arrived. And it's sitting JUST outside of the snow next to the door.

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor
Its a box inside a box inside yet another box and the controller is inside the clam shell inside said 3 boxes so you better buy another for insurance ;)

So early impressions are its damn close to the controller I wanted from Sony when the first Elite controller came out

For version 2 would love 4 paddles on the back

Increased battery isn't a huge deal for me but would be a nice bonus

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
To hell with that. No way I'm spending $200 for a controller with 2/3 the battery of the $70 version.
I don't blame anyone for passing on it right now at this price point especially with the battery

Excuse the hasty pic…controller does charge on the charging stand as well.

Initial 2 minute impression…don’t like the weight of the controller. I wish it was heavier.

Sboh6op.jpg
Very happy they fit on the Sony stand and like you I would have liked more weight and a better battery would likely solve that

Without looking up actual weights it feels damn close to the Elite Series 2 controller which has a very good battery

Banjo64

cumsessed
Excuse the hasty pic…controller does charge on the charging stand as well.

Initial 2 minute impression…don’t like the weight of the controller. I wish it was heavier.

Sboh6op.jpg
What's the weight like compared to your Elite Core?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I know you didn't ask me but had to look up weights since we started talking about

The Elite Series 2 weighs 345g the Edge weighs 325g
Not much in that then, I like the heft of the elite but wouldn't mind a 20g difference. Thanks mate.

Can't lie, whilst I hate gloss, it does look very premium in the above picture.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
What's the weight like compared to your Elite Core?
To me it feels the same weight as a regular dualsense. I don't have any paddles on this yet, but I don't think they will add to the overall weight appreciably. What I wanted was the whole controller to feel heavy (like the elite 2 or the core) but to me this just doesn't have the heft I was expecting.

The case it comes in though is legit, nice hard shell.

sainraja

I got mine today and it definitely feels nice. I wasn't sure about the shiny middle portion but after seeing it, I like it. I haven't tried using it yet but first impressions are that it's pretty good. Weight wise it feels pretty close to the standard controllers so that's good.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We need CSI to enhance that picture of the battery, it's so small you need an electron microscope to see it.

Y’all play for four hours in a row? Man, I remember those days.

The people who feel this is worth buying probably play quite a bit, yes.

RafterXL

So, I got mine this morning and here are just a few thoughts.

First off, Please STFU about "pro" gamers and using this wired. The Dualsense has been tested many times and there is ZERO difference between wireless and wired latency with these controllers. This is just a lame excuse to defend a shitty ass battery life in a $200 product. With that out of the way off to the pros and cons.

PRO:
1) Triggers. 4 would have been better but these triggers are well placed and the Dome triggers are actually really interesting and I'm trying them out first. The second set of triggers are basically a copy of the Elite triggers, which is a great thing because they are perfect.

2)Function/Profile system. Excellent. It's very intuitive and being able to switch dead zone, trigger pull distance, button configuration, etc. on the fly is perfect. I would love to be able to map a function button to something else, they are in a great spot for that, but otherwise no complaints.

3) Shape/weight.They are DID change the shape of the controller...and it's for the better. I hope they change the standard Dualsense as well. It's subtle but it makes a big difference to me. The handles are rounded off at the bottom. It's seems like nothing but the minute I held it, it just felt better. The extra weight is nice because regular controllers feel like cheap toys since I started using Elite controllers many years ago and this feels great in my hands.

4) Face buttons. They look like the old buttons, just in black, but they definitely feel significantly better to use. These should make their way to every DS because they are just flat out superior.

5) Charge cable. This is a minor, but thoughtful, positive. Not only is the charge cable long but it comes with a locking mechanism that keeps it from pulling out of the Edge. Pretty nifty. If you've got kids or animals you'll appreciate this.

CON:
1) Battery. I'm not getting into it, if you defend it you're an idiot.

2) Sticks. Extra sticks caps are useless. They are all the crap convex that console controllers have moved on from so not adding an extra set of concave is just plain weird. No stick tension settings is also a huge miss as outside of paddles it's my favorite setting on these types of controllers. Third party will, unfortunately, have to remedy this.

3) Gloss black faceplate. Do I even explain why this was a poor choice? I hate it.

Anyway, that's my thoughts from a day of use. For better or worse (mostly better) it's a suped up Dualsense. The price is shit and the battery life is criminal, so unless you are dying for the paddles like I was, hold off. Outside of that it's a solid product. Hopefully some third party makes a better battery like with the standard DS and Gulikit has already announced it's working on Hall Effect stick replacements, which will end drift forever, unless Sony tries to block them.

Two more paddles and an actual battery would make this a EASY 10/10, regardless of price. I have an AIM Dualsense, an Extremerate back button DS controller, a standard DS and now this. This is easily the best of the bunch, but that battery, man, wtf?

I have a Victrix Pro BFG ordered but it's been delayed multiple times, I'll compared the two when/if it finally arrives.

I would LOVE if they added in a feature to the PS App to configure the controller like we have on the 8BitDo controllers. Using that app to tweet things has been amazing mid game.

Topher

Gold Member
Just got mine in today. Played some Destiny 2 with it. I’m still getting used to the paddles. For those of y’all complaining about the battery, you’re weird. I don’t know who’s playing 4+ hours in one sitting. Plus, once you’re done, just put it to charge for your next play session.

185% price increase. 33% decrease in battery size. But people are weird for complaining about it?

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
185% price increase. 33% decrease in battery size. But people are weird for complaining about it?

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity
Nahh people have every right to complain about the battery as even at my age of 55 I can still have some marathon gaming sessions its just I play mainly on a desk with a monitor and my PS5 is like 4 feet away from me tops so wired isn't an issue.

For me it was all about having those back paddles for a quality of life improvement

Once Gamestop gets them here in the US I am picking up two more only because they are one of the companies I have working deal with that a part of my comp is a bunch of Gamestop in store credit

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I prefer the Victrix controller over the Edge. The Edge is a “nicer” DualSense but from a functionality standpoint for me the customization of the Victrix stick/dpad and button layouts make it my winner. It does suck that a dongle use is required for wireless play in the PS5.

Topher

Gold Member
Nahh people have every right to complain about the battery as even at my age of 55 I can still have some marathon gaming sessions its just I play mainly on a desk with a monitor and my PS5 is like 4 feet away from me tops so wired isn't an issue.

For me it was all about having those back paddles for a quality of life improvement

Once Gamestop gets them here in the US I am picking up two more only because they are one of the companies I have working deal with that a part of my comp is a bunch of Gamestop in store credit

I'll consider it at some point if someone offers a better battery than I can replace it with. Battery life is the reason I have two DualSense controllers. I didn't really mind paying an extra $70 for that. Paying an extra $200? That's not happening.

You are supposed to use the Sony version silly buns.

Video Game Playstation GIF by Naughty Dog

Oh shit......I think I just violated the terms of the PlayStation Loyalty Program.

Matthew Broderick GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'll consider it at some point if someone offers a better battery than I can replace it with. Battery life is the reason I have two DualSense controllers. I didn't really mind paying an extra $70 for that. Paying an extra $200? That's not happening.
I have a lot of friends who passed on this controller and judging by a lot of comments I have a feeling it didn't sell great and could see a price cut by the holiday season

Top Bottom