• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Sense Wireless Controller: For a New Generation of Play | PS5

Is The DualSense The Best Controller Ever Made?

• Yes

Votes: 111 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 16.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Xbox Controllers are Better

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Switch Joy-Con FTW

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

JeloSWE

I love the DS, it's the best PS controller but claiming it to be the best controller ever made is HYPERBOLE. Wii nunchakus were more innovative, great driving wheels and flight sim controllers offer amazing experience, heck VR controllers are even more impressive if you think about it.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
But the Elite controller is heavier than any of the others.

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive
I've already mentioned it's the way Sony distributed the weight in the dual sense, it's front weighted instead of evenly distributed. Grams matter, but where you put said grams matters more.

348g (+/- 15g) when using with 4 paddles, faceted D-pad, AA batteries and standard thumbsticks attached
So you're wrong on that too. Again I used the Elite with the X One adapter from Brooks, which is lighter than AA batteries.

Reddit is filled with dual sense hate, Hell here's an article full of hate for it too.

Besides all of that after a year of games that all use tension in the triggers, people are going to realize what that extra stress exerted the way it is when depressing those triggers is going to lead to hand health issues. The way you have to press the trigger with the side of your finger isn't natural, add resistance to that and you could be looking at raynaud's syndrome, or the start of it, especially with the excessive vibration from haptics.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Think the pad is ace, but I've had one snapped r2 trigger and my new pad is getting a sticky square and triangle button and my hands are always clean. I don't eat sweets, food when gaming. Searching the net and there seems to be a lot of cases of sticky buttons.

I think its an awesome pad but needs some quality control sorting on it.
I faced that sticky button issue (X / Cross button) as well. If it is any consolation, it just went away on its own, and now the controller works perfectly fine.

RafterXL

No, and it's not even close. The Elite controllers shit on every controller, on every console ever made. Haptics are great, triggers are so-so, but the Dualsense still fundamentally lacking in usability compared to controller with paddles and the battery life is awful to boot.

Build quality is every bit as suspect as the Elite as well so that pretty much cancels out. I've never had stick drift in my life and both my Dualsense right sticks drift, and one of them sounds like a squeaky bed during sex when I use my d-pad. These things will be replaced in droves as the gen progresses.

Do yourself a favor an, at a minimum, get an Extremerate Rise mod kit. For $40, and a half hour of your time, you get a nice set of programmable back buttons that actually brings the controller more in line with what a next gen controller should be.

Topher

Gold Member
I've already mentioned it's the way Sony distributed the weight in the dual sense, it's front weighted instead of evenly distributed. Grams matter, but where you put said grams matters more.

Well no, weight in general was your first complaint. Then it was about weight with batteries vs battery pack. After the actual weights were revealed in all instances, you came up with "weight distribution".

So you're wrong on that too. Again I used the Elite with the X One adapter from Brooks, which is lighter than AA batteries.

Wrong on what? That battery back isn't going to alleviate the Elite of 60-ish grams of weight. Even without batteries at all the Elite controller is heavier than the DualSense or Xbox S|X controller as one AA battery is only around 23 grams. So no, factually, I am correct.

Not sure what fanboy fights on reddit are supposed to prove. Controllers come down to personal preference. I prefer Elite Series 2 over anything else out there. That doesn't mean anything to anyone else though just as the "full of hate" article is really just one guy's personal opinion. Just as this positive review is also one guy's opinion. As is the positive review from IGN I linked.

Rambotito

I like the size and feel but I turned off the adaptive triggers because of the fear of them breaking. The grips are very thick and angular. My hands are still getting used to them after using the Switch Pro Controller for a year. Sony really nailed the feel of the analogue sticks, though. Playing first person shooters is much easier for me than with other controllers. I just hope it doesn't break after three months. But overall I love the controller's design and function.

Ozrimandias

The Dualsense is by far the best controller. (By far)
I have an Xbox Series Controller and it's nothing compared to the Dualsense
The Dualsense is just perfection........if you can avoid the drift problems.

I have one, and it's awesome, till 1 week ago it began with the drift problems. It's really anoying.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like the size and feel but I turned off the adaptive triggers because of the fear of them breaking. The grips are very thick and angular. My hands are still getting used to them after using the Switch Pro Controller for a year. Sony really nailed the feel of the analogue sticks, though. Playing first person shooters is much easier for me than with other controllers. I just hope it doesn't break after three months. But overall I love the controller's design and function.
Use it. There is warranty. Not using tech because you are afraid is super sad

R6Rider

Gold Member
The analogue sticks are exactly the same as the DS4, which includes the issues that are common with them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The Dualsense is by far the best controller. (By far)
I have an Xbox Series Controller and it's nothing compared to the Dualsense
The Dualsense is just perfection........if you can avoid the drift problems.

I have one, and it's awesome, till 1 week ago it began with the drift problems. It's really anoying.
To be fair, that problem isn't exclusive to DualSense.

All three companies (Nintendo, PlayStation, and Microsoft) use the exact same sticks from the same manufacturer. So the stick drift problem is equally likely in all controllers. Such a shame though, because all these controllers are excellent in their own ways -- except for this common problem that plagues them all.

Best is very... idk it depends a lot on what you're looking for and I don't believe one can be the "best" at everything, not possible. The controller definitely has a feature set that is top notch and isn't anywhere else, at least right now. But, for those who don't care about that it doesn't matter. Then there is ergonomic, very debatable but I think the PS controller has come a long way... but it falls a little short of the Xbox's ergos. That is why I was so bummed that the Astro C40's did not work on my PS5 :messenger_pensive:

Top Bottom