• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Sense and Astro's Playroom Impressions

-Arcadia-

Banned
This whole thing was so Mario and Nintendo. That isn’t a bad thing, and on the contrary, it’s nice to see others doing that style. Will Nintendo always be with us or as amazing as they have been? Who knows? As such, I’d like to see many developers learn from their classics, and deploy the lessons in their own games.

I’m glad that this is turning out to be a substantial game of its own. As one preview said, it won’t distract you from Souls, but it should be a lovely thing to dip into once you’re done with that, or just looking for some casual fun.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Much too early to tell.
From all the controller innovations we have seen over the years (mainly by Nintendo), how much has sticked?

In the end it's still the Dualshock layout we have had for over 20 years now on every controller by every console brand, and the rest is some gimmicky shit that's used in three to five games over the gen, and then forgotten.
Motion controls have been in PS controllers for well over a decade now, touch pad, share button continues over from last gen

So looks like they've stuck. Maybe not used a lot, but still a part of the ongoing featureset

-Arcadia-

Banned
I assume that by packing this in, and rolling through the whole suite of controller features, even the underused PS4 ones, Sony is trying to make a statement to developers and gamers. ‘This is what can be done. Don’t write this off!’

I hope it works. I think these features have a lot to offer gaming, but it’s going to take a mindset, on both sides of the product, that understands that visuals aren’t where meaningful gaming improvements start and end.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sony can’t seem to do wrong at the moment. Just bangers after bangers. Hype levels reaching unhealthy levels.

They definitely did some wrong with $70 games, the Spider-Man recasting/remaster controversy, and the cross-gen bomb.

That said, the wind-up to PS5 has generally been well done and showcasing an intrinsic understanding of their market. Especially if you compare it to whatever the hell is going on with Team Green.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Much too early to tell.
From all the controller innovations we have seen over the years (mainly by Nintendo), how much has sticked?

In the end it's still the Dualshock layout we have had for over 20 years now on every controller by every console brand, and the rest is some gimmicky shit that's used in three to five games over the gen, and then forgotten.

i don't know, according to some things i have read it seems like a lot of big companies are already embracing it.

Lets have a look.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales creative director Brian Horton said haptic feedback will reflect the hero’s spider senses. “We’ll be hinting to players which direction attacks are coming from by providing haptic feedback from the appropriate direction on the DualSense wireless controller”.

He added: “Because of the high resolution of DualSense wireless controller’s haptics system, we can really push the dimensionality of the feedback. For instance, as you hold down Square to do a Venom Punch, you feel Spider-Man’s bio-electricity crackle across from the left side of the controller, culminating in the right side on impact.”

Dinga Bakaba, game director of Arkane’s recently delayed first-person shooter Deathloop, said haptic feedback is being used to make weapons feel distinct. “One I like is blocking the triggers when your weapon jams, to give to the player an immediate feedback even before the animation plays out, which prompts the player in a physical way that they have to unjam their gun.”

Astro’s Playroom, which will come pre-installed on PS5 when the console launches this holiday season, is a showcase for DualSense’s features. “We use haptic feedback throughout the entire game,” said Nicolas Doucet, studio director at Japan Studio. “The most striking are the surfaces because players will notice within the first few seconds. Astro’s steps can be felt running on plastic, metal, sand, and even splashing in water.”

And Polyphony Digital president Kazunori Yamauchi said: “I think the most effective use of the adaptive trigger [in Gran Turismo 7] is for representing the operation of the antilock brake system (ABS) while braking. A typical ABS releases brake pressure intermittently while the driver applies pressure to the pedal. The adaptive trigger is suited for recreating this pedal feel, and it will allow the player to accurately feel and understand the relationship between the braking force they want and the tire’s grip.”

Besides Astro that's 3 rather good, large games.

Also yesterday i heard in one of the videos that Cod will be using it for their weapon feedback as well. i wish i could find the video that said that, but i watched so many damn feedback videos yesterday i don't want to see another lol.]

But yer i think this is going to be the preferred standard, maybe not for the hardcore gamer, but the masses will love this stuff.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony is trying to make a statement to developers and gamers. ‘This is what can be done. Don’t write this off!’

This is why first parties exist... or rather a big part of why they are needed. Like Lauren used to say: “best, first, or must” at least one of those three notes need to be fulfilled by any first party product.

Yoboman

Polygon:

Without playing it, it’s easy to write off Astro’s Playroom as a silly, ignorable pack-in game, something to fill up your system storage while you wait for the actual games to download. But it turns out that this is one of the best platformers Sony has ever made, matching the charm and fluidity of a Nintendo platformer while also demonstrating the power of this new console. It should be a major launch-day treat for those lucky few who managed to score a PlayStation 5 pre-order.

People are sleeping on this game big time

Redlancet

Banned
Motion controls have been in PS controllers for well over a decade now, touch pad, share button continues over from last gen

So looks like they've stuck. Maybe not used a lot, but still a part of the ongoing featureset
this,its funny how the naysayers want to spin the "but no games use touch pad or the microphone" narrative,thats bullshit,im playing a lot of ps4 games who use these things,not in a mayor way but they used a lot,it adds to the experience in games like resident evil 3 remake

Orta

Banned
How big/long is this Astrobot game? I always said I would have bought a ps4 & vr just for Astrobot alone, it was in my top 3 games of the generation.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a digital ps5 just for this.

moedesty

Banned
remeber when you used the immersive giroscope in the sixaxis to balance with nathan drake over a tree?

that's how immersive the new dualsense will be.

Motion controls have been in PS controllers for well over a decade now,
Never used it once in the whole PS4 gen.
I am not sure I used that in PS3 gen either.
touch pad,
same
share button continues over from last gen
same
And nobody still gives a fuck about those.
Same with that "advanced" Nintendo joycon rumble stuff.

How many games you care about use this?

Thesnipergecko

Neo Member
How big/long is this Astrobot game? I always said I would have bought a ps4 & vr just for Astrobot alone, it was in my top 3 games of the generation.

I think SkillUp mentioned it was around 5 hours. About 1 hour per level.

Resenge

same

same

While I agree that motion controls in flat screen games are forced and not worth the effort, in VR that is a different story, its practically essential for some games. The touchpad also has been used in VR to good effect but I would not be too disappointed if the touchpad was not on the Dualsense.

in before "VR is niche and I don't use VR so I don't care that other people do" comments

Last edited:
While I agree that motion controls in flat screen games are forced and not worth the effort, in VR that is a different story, its practically essential for some games. The touchpad also has been used in VR to good effect but I would not be too disappointed if the touchpad was not on the Dualsense.

in before "VR is niche and I don't use VR so I don't care that other people do" comments

Yup, you are right. That's literally where this technology belongs and is actually amazing to use.
For me on my comfy couch playing Street Fighter V or Bloodborne this is completely uninteresting, though.

And don't get me started on bullshit like blowing into the controller. This is like the worst idea Nintendo ever had, and Sony copying that dumb shit makes me scratch my head in disbelief.

same

same

I use a lot the share button and I'm pretty invested in the VR platform so I think that's highly subjective. To me they are important and I can't imagine a modern platform whitout them.
The whole "I don't use it so it's useless" really doesn't work where you are in a community.

The triggers and the feedback are very interesting to me since they enhance the experience in a sensible way, I can't wait to test them in a VR environment.

GymWolf

I heard it's around 5 hours.

Last edited:

INC

Don’t be cheapass, get the full package

To play what? Demon souls? Ill never git gud enough to enjoy it

Everything else is 3rd party, which I can play at higher frame rate on pc (hopefully with a ps5 controller)

I'll spend out on a ps5 once they show psvr2

MastaKiiLA

same

same

It largely depends on what kind of games you play. If you play mostly 3rd party stuff, you won't see much value in the new features. It doesn't make them less innovative or useful for those people who play the kinds of games that support the added functionality. You noted SF and Bloodborne, but you shouldn't expect traditional games to have large support for non-traditional inputs. Things like haptics, and the adaptive triggers should be much easier to incorporate into many games, since it's essentially just the next iteration of force feedback. The touchpad, OTOH, might still remain a somewhat niche feature.

MastaKiiLA

It is as Linus showed but I would recommend the Xbox controller instead. Otherwise you might have to tweak the DualSense to work right and the button prompts might be from Xbox in alot of games which is annoying.
There's really little reason to use a DS with a PC. Xbox controllers are well-supported, and like you said button prompts are almost all A/B/X/Y. Fewer hoops to jump through to get up and running with an Xbox controller. I was having fits getting my DS4 to work with all the games I have, so I just bought a cheapo Xbox style one, and it's totally plug-n-play.

INC

It is as Linus showed but I would recommend the Xbox controller instead. Otherwise you might have to tweak the DualSense to work right and the button prompts might be from Xbox in alot of games which is annoying.

Nah xbox sticks be like
iEDph6H.jpg

If I was served a truck load of crow after those embarrassing posts he written. I'd go radio silent too 🤣 I'm surprised anyone takes that closet fanboy seriously.

On-topic: sounds like it's a blast to immerse yourself in the current games that support these features.

I remember having a similar debate with TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark where he tried to convince me that the impulse triggers are the same as the resistive triggers. Apparently according to him the vibrations in the triggers causes resistance.

Now it's obvious from these previews that the two are nowhere near the same.

I had no hype for the controller. But now super psyched about it. Can't wait to play Astros! I wish they could have commented on the impact of the Tempest Engine using headphones. I think it's still under embargo. It doesn't look like there is Raytracing in the game. Maybe its turned on for one of the levels? Makes sense for this kind of game to show off the Pillars of PS5: IO Speed, Raytracing, Tempest, DualSense.

LordOfChaos

One of them said that if a game was available on both platforms (and supported Dualsense features of course), they might choose the platform based on the controller, the new features left that much of an impression

One of them said that if a game was available on both platforms (and supported Dualsense features of course), they might choose the platform based on the controller, the new features left that much of an impression
I believe is was SkillUp... or as some like to call him, sometimes, ShillUp :messenger_tears_of_joy: He seems like an honest enough guy, always enjoyed his content.

Top Bottom