• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Sense and Astro's Playroom Impressions

ethomaz

Banned
VIDEOS

TEXT

TWEET

Seems like it is a real next-gen experience.

Last edited:

itsnotme

ahahahahaha where is that guy who said when looking at the disassembled DualSense there is no haptic feedback and Sony is lying?
He said it doesn't even have adaptive triggers hahaha.
Where the fuck are you mate I need to serve this crow.
ahahahaha
That was actually hilarious he said it was a glorified rumble controller and some people even agreed LMAO. The FUD levels are OVER 9000 when it comes to PS5

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
ahahahahaha where is that guy who said when looking at the disassembled DualSense there is no haptic feedback and Sony is lying?
ahahahaha

One of the least surprising culprits imaginable

Looks like it really is rumble triggers. Nice they threw some buzzwords on it.
Because it’s a rumble trigger, show me the resistance, or the “feedback” it’s not there. It’s a motor in the trigger same as the XB1.

I'd like to see what Zen Studios does with this. They were one of the few companies to support 3D with Zen Pinball 2 for PS3 and their HD rumble support is great for Pinball FX3 on Switch.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Sounds good, but how many developers will put extra work into this? I mean this gen Sony was absolutely dominating and the touchpad was nothing more than a big button in 99% of the games and the internal speakers, were they even used in non Sony games? I don't expect Sony to be that dominant again, so i'm curios how often we will see it.

ethomaz

Banned
Sounds good, but how many developers will put extra work into this? I mean this gen Sony was absolutely dominating and the touchpad was nothing more than a big button in 99% of the games and the internal speakers, were they even used in non Sony games? I don't expect Sony to be that dominant again, so i'm curios how often we will see it.
Actually most of them said their games have DS haptic feedback support.

Your right that they could be even more dominant however even if that doesn't happen features like Haptics will be used by the developers since there's no rumble in the controller. However the touch pad and the resistive triggers are a different story.

Incoming wave of salty trolls saying "devs won't be using any of the console features in a couple of months" in

I'm definitely expecting Haptics to be used but the triggers are a different story.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I keep forgetting Astro's is free with the console. It looks like a fun tutorial. I hope there's a platinum trophy for it. Yes, I'm that shallow.

Playroom VR had a platinum, this probably will.

Thing is, haptic replaces rumble. Think about every game you've played on a PS4 that doesn't use rumble at all. Not many. Triggers might be a different story as the resistance is optional, but again, you're already gonna be using triggers in most games, why not quickly stick in certain areas of your game that make use of the adaptive nature? The touchpad was a completely new interface and developers would have to go out of their way to find a way to implement touch controls. A better comparison will be the array mic. I'd imagine the vast majority of games won't require array mic input.

ethomaz

Banned
BTW list from ERA of the games confirmed to have support to Dual Sense's Haptic Feedback.

• Astro's Playroom -- Showcase game for the DualSense, expected to tackle all new features in innovative ways. Source.
  • Avengers -- The developers plan to support features like the Adaptive Triggers (AT) and Haptic Feedback (HF). Source.
  • NBA 2K21 -- AT simulate energy/fatigue and HF highlights collisions. Source.
  • The Pathless -- AT simulate the tension of the bowstring and HF helps with the timing of shots. Source.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered -- DualSense AT and HF support. Source.
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition -- Supports AT (L2) and HF has different sensations for different weapons. Source.
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm -- AT simulate struggle. Source.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales -- HF showcases the Venom powers of Miles. Source.
  • Overcooked! All You Can Eat -- Developers tease DualSense features. Source.
  • Ride 4 -- AT simulate gas and brake levers and HF showcases the vehicle's vibrations. Source.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart -- AT simulate multiple fire modes in weapons. Source.
  • Nour: Play With Your Food -- The developers plan to support features like the AT and HF. Source.
  • Deathloop -- AT block simulates weapon jam. Source.
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo -- AT simulate recoil and HF offers "textured" nuances. Source.
  • Horizon Forbidden West -- AT is used to differentiate weapons. Source.
  • Demon's Souls -- HF showcases the force of bosses with a well-timed guard, gives feedback in well-timed parries and succesful attacks and spells. Source.
  • Godfall -- DualSense is utilized so the player can differentiate between weapons without looking at the UI and can locate enemies spatially via the controller. Source. More info.
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure -- AT simulate struggle as Sackboy carries objects. AT also present on the grappling hook. Source.
  • Gran Turismo 7 -- AT simulate ABS braking and HF is integrated with sound design. Source.
  • Hood: Outlaws & Legends -- The developers confirm full use of the HF. Source.
  • Heavenly Bodies -- Not gonna lie, it has a lot of things related to the DualSense, please give it a look. (Looks fun too!) Source.
  • Goodbye Volcano High -- HF conveys the difficulty of some decisions being made. Source.
  • Jett: The Far Shore -- The developers said the game has a strong focus on haptics. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Solar Ash -- The developers said the DualSense could give feedback they had not known was possible. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Bugsnax -- The developers promise the full use of DualSense features and say they are exploring multisensorial feedback, cites example of changes in terrain via HF. Source.
  • Maneater -- DualSense controller support. Source.
  • DiRT 5 -- DualSense controller support. Source.
  • Madden 21 -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • FIFA 21 -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • Returnal -- AT switch between firing modes, supports HF. Source.
  • Watch Dogs: Legion -- DualSense HF and AT support. Source. Source.
  • Destruction AllStars -- AT gives different feedback for each car and HF simulates the impact of ramming. Source.
  • Rock Band 4 -- Supports DualSense's microphone for singing. Source. (Thanks @mreddie )
  • MXGP 2020 -- DualSense controller support. Source. (Thanks @Xextil )
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising -- DualSense HF support. Source. (Thanks @Xextil )

Last edited:

Moonjt9

After playing with hd rumble on switch and absolutely loving it and the things it could do, I’m so hyped for dual sense to take it to the next level.

onQ123

ahahahaha

Sure the speaker was used in the division for recordings you find in the game world I think bioshock I finite did aswell .

NEbeast

The touchpad was basically a extra button, and added nothing substantial. Haptic/adaptive triggers can elevate a game . I'm sure devs will utilize them in games when they add an extra layer of immersion to their games.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm sure my gf is gonna love Astro's Playroom.

It should make it easier for her to embrace the new system because I very much doubt she's gonna have much fun with Demon's Souls.

Max_Po

Banned
I am most excited about the PS5 controller. I don't even care about the looks of the console... bring it on baby.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It would be a correct opinion though. Most won’t just like the gyro in the DualShock

The technology is so much more advanced and precise than the analogue gyro in Dualshock though. Most devs don't really like it as it lacks accuracy and precision. No such issues with VCAs in the dualsense. It's a far more three dimensional, programmable and advanced way of creating feedback.

mejin

Last edited:

FrankWza

The touchpad was basically a extra button, and added nothing substantial. Haptic/adaptive triggers can elevate a game . I'm sure devs will utilize them in games when they add an extra layer of immersion to their games.
I liked when it was used for map use and scrolling.

Top Bottom