• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub: Playstation's Fallen Masterpiece

forza_envy.jpg

Fox Mulder

It struggled early and lacked brand awareness. It still ended up being a great game with amazing post release support. A sequel or Pro update could have given it 60 FPS people cry about and addressed flaws. Would have been nice to get Motorstorm remasters or something before dumping the studio.

It had unique cars and looked and sounded great at the time. Getting all the stars in the campaign events and the platinum trophy was the most fun and challenging racing I’ve done that whole generation. The open world lack of direction in Forza Horizon isn’t the same even though it’s a better game in most areas.

Last edited:

TheMan

Masterpiece? Eh...

it looked great for sure but handled like ass. Never got used to it. That said I fully expected this to be a flagship online title, something to really promote formation of online communities and rivalries. This was before the free ps plus version got nerfed and fucked over and thrown away of course.

Roxkis_ii

Drive clubs graphics blew me away. The game is very beautiful, but I don't like the lack car proformance customization. It never felt like the cars were yours. I really wanted to like drive club, but the gameplay didn't hook me.

The Shepard

Good game. The weather effects looked brilliant, think it was the India level in the thunder storm blew me away the first time I seen it. Forza Horizon 4 is the better game though imo, soon as I played that I forgot about driveclub. Sony should make a gran turismo horizon.

yurinka

The game was awesome. It's a shame it didn't have at launch the features, content and fixes (plus working servers) they added later. It's a shame too that its story didn't end well so very likely we won't see a Driveclub 2. Let's hope GT learns all the things Driveclub did well.

Last edited:

Segaswirl

I got the game and it's DLC dirt cheap off PSN a few years ago and had a decent time getting both it's plats. Got the one on VR too.

It's a decent 6 or 7 out of 10 racer. Nothing special. Certainly no Forza.

Certinty

I enjoyed it a lot and even platinumed it but I can’t believe the praise some people give this game.

At times the game looked amazing and was fun to play but that was literally it. The AI sucked, it lacked ‘soul’ and the events just got repetitive and boring.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Whitelight just put out a fantastic video about Drivelcub

Funny thing is, I have never played the game. I followed it and wanted to buy it, but it got a little bit too much flak during its release, which let be to believe the game isnt as good as the trailers suggested.

Its rather unfortunate really, I know there is a bunch of you here who really like and also miss this game and what it brought to the table of simcade racing. Especially today, where good, new racing games are really hard to find.

So this is to Driveclub, its developers and its fans. Roar your engines in one final hurray for this divisive masterpiece that died before it it had any chance to stand the test of time.

Also, if you dont know Whitelight, he is a fantastic youtuber, who writes some of the best scripts about a wide array of diffferent games. But especially racing and Assasins Creed. Check out his Split Second and Blur. Again, two racing games I didnt play because of reviews at the time and after watching his videos I now kinda regret it.

The most immersive car game I've ever played to date.

The sense of speed in this game is amazing. You don't even need to play it to find out. I was wondering what was going to set this game apart, and from the first footage you see it becomes obvious.

RaySoft

Whitelight just put out a fantastic video about Drivelcub

Funny thing is, I have never played the game. I followed it and wanted to buy it, but it got a little bit too much flak during its release, which let be to believe the game isnt as good as the trailers suggested.

Its rather unfortunate really, I know there is a bunch of you here who really like and also miss this game and what it brought to the table of simcade racing. Especially today, where good, new racing games are really hard to find.

So this is to Driveclub, its developers and its fans. Roar your engines in one final hurray for this divisive masterpiece that died before it it had any chance to stand the test of time.

Also, if you dont know Whitelight, he is a fantastic youtuber, who writes some of the best scripts about a wide array of diffferent games. But especially racing and Assasins Creed. Check out his Split Second and Blur. Again, two racing games I didnt play because of reviews at the time and after watching his videos I now kinda regret it.

Driveclub DESERVED this video. Truely a technical masterpiece on the PS4. Ty OP.

Let me make a small introduction (and sorry for bad english); when the server closure announcement was made, I started to write a petition / proposal for new regulamentations for better management of a software/videogame server dismissal to avoid a brutal kill.
For personal reasons (time, everyday tasks, other things) I had to put on hold that initiative.
Having said that... there is a constant trend; every month there is someone who revives a DC thread to say how good was that game and how bad was Sony in shutting Evo studios and pulling the plug from DC.
Now we have that video which tries to give the credit which DC deserves and also remind us again how good is that game and how bad was Sony etc etc...
Then two week ago we saw Sony withdraw their decision to close the PS3/PSvita store.
I mean... Sony is listening; Yeah, I know...closing the PS3/PSVita store has a much bigger impact than a "dozen" of people, myself included, on a videogame forum which still don't believe that a great game was shut down. And even during the same generation!
So, I'm asking... what the community did to make Sony hear our voices full of disappointment? Nothing.
I did at least one thing. I haven't renewed my subscription to psplus for more than a year (honestly the reason was the lack of time for gaming but the kill of DC servers was a huge factor in that decision).
Now the question is: can we do something? I think yes. We have to believe more in our power.
Why not organize a twitter storm or stuff like that? What we have to lose? Nothing. So it's worth a try.
What do you think?

Top Bottom