• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams |OT| A World Of Pure Imagination

Grinchy

Banned
There are some really cool creations I've come across so far. I'm mainly sticking to searches for Move controller games that are VR-ready. An old thing I built during the beta looks so cool in VR.

I find the progression of the game tutorials a bit on the strange side, though. When you get through an initial wave of creating your home space, things get a little harder to follow, especially if you are playing it all in VR. Some tutorials don't have VR playable components, some will teach you things with non-VR controls in cinema mode (it warns you of this before you start).

It was a huge undertaking to get this whole game in VR for sure, but I'm still a little surprised by the haphazard "game progression" in general. Even if I play with a dualshock over at the TV, I guess I was just kinda expecting a more intuitive or streamlined progression. I feel like I'm making very slow progress but I want to get back into making things soon enough!

There are some really cool creations I've come across so far. I'm mainly sticking to searches for Move controller games that are VR-ready. An old thing I built during the beta looks so cool in VR.

I find the progression of the game tutorials a bit on the strange side, though. When you get through an initial wave of creating your home space, things get a little harder to follow, especially if you are playing it all in VR. Some tutorials don't have VR playable components, some will teach you things with non-VR controls in cinema mode (it warns you of this before you start).

It was a huge undertaking to get this whole game in VR for sure, but I'm still a little surprised by the haphazard "game progression" in general. Even if I play with a dualshock over at the TV, I guess I was just kinda expecting a more intuitive or streamlined progression. I feel like I'm making very slow progress but I want to get back into making things soon enough!

I mostly gave tutorials on favor of just getting my hands dirty in creation mode and learning by trial and error. In the very least, it's mostly very intuitive and contextual button info is spot-on, so helps a lot.

played Jungle Bill VR, Cyber Strain Jurassic or Pandora VR yet? Those are awesome...

Miles708

this is gorgeous:

they make it look so easy:

in a sense it is, but I lack their artistic sensibility :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Really, it's the most accessible tool out there, but unfortunately it can't make you a creative person out-of-the-box :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Still, I hope creativity can be "trained" at least a little (especially if, like me, you didn't express it much as a kid), so I'm currently using Dreams for that.
Of course, the things I'm creating are an affront to good taste, but I'm having more fun in the process than with other tools (Unreal Engine, but even compared to a pencil or a guitar... I get bored in no time).

I still have to try VR for more than 10 minutes, it's too hot to be around with silly helmets indoors, but I have a feeling it can be a real VR killer app.

this is gorgeous:

they make it look so easy:

in a sense it is, but I lack their artistic sensibility :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tricks of the trade:

Dreams is so damn good to let you paint in 3D like this...

I wonder what this guy would come up with if he had Move controllers at his disposal... ds4 looks painfully slow - though of course he can do much more with it than me with Moves :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Chun Swae

Banned
Hey guys, anyone know what's taking mediamolecule so long with multiplayer? I think this game could be HUGE if that one feature were added, but it seems like it's not been prioritized by them at all. I know they just released VR support, which is cool but not useful for a lot of people. I think if they don't have it ready by the PS5 launch I'll just give up all hope for it.

Miles708

Can you make a strictly 2D drawing in Dreams?
You can, it's not easy without moves, though. But I can't draw even in real life, so...

Then there's Martin Nebelong

You can also set various drawings to create 2D animations, or use a specific setting to create a "fuzzy" 2D animated style.

Hey guys, anyone know what's taking mediamolecule so long with multiplayer? I think this game could be HUGE if that one feature were added, but it seems like it's not been prioritized by them at all. I know they just released VR support, which is cool but not useful for a lot of people. I think if they don't have it ready by the PS5 launch I'll just give up all hope for it.

They are working on it but they aren’t allowed to talk about it yet

Last edited:
Why the secrecy though? And why has it taken years to implement? Kind of frustrating cuz I love Dreams. but MM are dragging their knuckles over such a key feature.

Media Molecule are a relatively small studio and Dreams was clearly a massive undertaking for them, hence the seven years between announcement and release.

There is a ten year plan for Dreams and we’re still in its first year, only just past six months even. Media Molecule have a road map of features to add and they’ve had to prioritise, and for whatever reason, VR trumped multiplayer. Selfishly I prefer it this way because none of my friends have any interest in playing Dreams (other than my wife who I can couch co-op with) whereas I’ve recently invested in VR and am having a blast playing it in Dreams.

As for the secrecy your guess is as a good as mine. Maybe the multiplayer is wrapped up in a larger PS5 update and they want a big reveal for a second wave of sales.

All I know is they are working on it and other undisclosed features to make the game more social.

Last edited:

Miles708

I'm also inclined to guess that, adding online multiplayer to a visual editor, add even another layer of complexity to an already monumental piece of software.

I don't think it's just "take the couch co-op and put it on the internet" kind of task.

Chun Swae

Banned
Agreed with everything you said Statue. Statistically the game is very nearly dead averaging about 1k people online, so multiplayer should be their number 1 priority to spring some life into the title. It'd also benefit from being free to play too but that's a whole other story.

Hard to ignore Dreams has some shocking activity numbers, lot of talk in the community anxious game might be dying:

any game without multiplayer today just dies. Kids are too weak and afraid to play games all alone - they need back up and reassuring.

plus, dreams is too artsy for games. Everyone knows games are pixely not painterly flecks - thus why they prefer the Neolithic megaliths of Minecrap

Grinchy

Banned
Hard to ignore Dreams has some shocking activity numbers, lot of talk in the community anxious game might be dying:

It's a weird product. It's a really cool thing, but maybe not a very good game. I don't personally know a single person I could recommend it to even if I enjoy going in and crafting things.

With LittleBigPlanet, at least there was a full game there for anyone who bought it. I could recommend it to people I knew because anyone could try it and potentially like it. But Dreams is really just a creation tool with some relatively cool creations in a list that you have to go and find.

If you don't happen to find the best ones, all you really come away with was trying out some really basic starting pieces of an idea that no regular person would call a game. That's interesting to those of us who appreciate what went into the creation part of it, but a wide audience would have needed a full game to go with it. So I'm not really that surprised if it doesn't have a big or long-lasting casual following.

It's a weird product. It's a really cool thing, but maybe not a very good game. I don't personally know a single person I could recommend it to even if I enjoy going in and crafting things.

With LittleBigPlanet, at least there was a full game there for anyone who bought it. I could recommend it to people I knew because anyone could try it and potentially like it. But Dreams is really just a creation tool with some relatively cool creations in a list that you have to go and find.

If you don't happen to find the best ones, all you really come away with was trying out some really basic starting pieces of an idea that no regular person would call a game. That's interesting to those of us who appreciate what went into the creation part of it, but a wide audience would have needed a full game to go with it. So I'm not really that surprised if it doesn't have a big or long-lasting casual following.

I agree with all of this. Never said it publicly because it’s an unpopulan opinion but I really don’t think Arts Dream did the game any favours. Super short, super out there. They needed to bundle it with a meaty 8 hour platformer, and dozens and dozens more arcade games then they did.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I agree with all of this. Never said it publicly because it’s an unpopulan opinion but I really don’t think Arts Dream did the game any favours. Super short, super out there. They needed to bundle it with a meaty 8 hour platformer, and dozens and dozens more arcade games then they did.
That's the exact same thought I had when playing Art's Dream. It doesn't take away anything from the great tools that are there and Art's Dream is indeed very unique in terms of style but yeah.

Top Bottom