• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams |OT| A World Of Pure Imagination

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
I should still be able to complete the level with a wonky bridge it is just frustrating that I don't seem to be able to do it right. I will push on then thanks, it is probably not important in the scheme of things.
It takes practice for sure, I think you’re on the right track with the tutorials. Did you do the even more basic tutorials to get accustomed to the movement? I had to go through all of that before i felt like i started to get my sea legs, so don’t be discouraged. Once you start to get in the groove the possibilities open up and you can create almost anything you can imagine! Good luck.

Geki-D

Banned
New patch adds content & a new game:

What's New
  • Welcome Garden Finale Pack - Our final Welcome Garden Pack, featuring elements to add atmosphere and mood to your creations, as well as some bonus sculptures.
  • Welcome Garden Adventure - A fully playable game, made up entirely of content from the Welcome Garden Kit.
Updates & Improvements
  • Updated: Dreamiverse Playlist and Banner Updates - Banners will now display video content. We’re also adding support for future playlist topics.
  • Updated: Wording around publishing content which has dependencies (e.g. contains private elements) has been improved.
  • Fixed: A bug where users were recommended tutorials for the incorrect control scheme.
  • Other fixes and improvements.

Last edited:
can't wait for july 22

hey, it's luckily not summer in the southern hemisphere...

I loved just walking around the thousands of experiences users have been building in the Rec Room, this doubles on that, with usually better graphics to boot...

karasu

How do you rotate the object with the Move controllers? I am in the first Start Dreaming tutorial and he told me to do it without telling me how. How do I go from looking at the front of the shape to looking at the back? This shit is seriously frustrating.

How do you rotate the object with the Move controllers? I am in the first Start Dreaming tutorial and he told me to do it without telling me how. How do I go from looking at the front of the shape to looking at the back? This shit is seriously frustrating.

I'm sure they did teach in the tutorials. Don't remember exacts now, but I think you hold the center Move button in one or both controllers...

I only played for awhile when it released. I'm really waiting for VR to get full on.

Is there a way to link up with other Dreams players to form a "studio" and work on the same project easily/efficiently?

Yeah you can either share permissions with projects but the downside of that is changes aren’t live, you work on saved versions, you can’t literally work on it at the same time.

Alternatively you can work on elements or scenes separately and then add it all together.

Some highlights of some scary Dreams:

Last edited:
Yeah you can either share permissions with projects but the downside of that is changes aren’t live, you work on saved versions, you can’t literally work on it at the same time.

Alternatively you can work on elements or scenes separately and then add it all together.

Some highlights of some scary Dreams:

that's the way to do it, anyway. People work on separate parts and import all the parts in a single main project

seen plenty of awesomeness in Dreams coming from collaborative efforts like this. And the culture of Dreams is that of open sharing, you can basically import any assets from anyone. Tbh, not everyone is happy with this, they think the credits screen associated with each dream is not enough, but this is fair to me in non-commercial community-based creations - seen plenty of such projects in communities like pov-ray or interactive-fiction...

that's the way to do it, anyway. People work on separate parts and import all the parts in a single main project

seen plenty of awesomeness in Dreams coming from collaborative efforts like this. And the culture of Dreams is that of open sharing, you can basically import any assets from anyone. Tbh, not everyone is happy with this, they think the credits screen associated with each dream is not enough, but this is fair to me in non-commercial community-based creations - seen plenty of such projects in communities like pov-ray or interactive-fiction...

Yeah personally I’m very pleased with how the crediting all works for the most part. We live in a world which doesn’t do its best to foster collaboration for altruistic reasons, and the end of the day that was the point of Dreams I think MM wanted as many assets to be as open as possible. The downside is you do have bad elements that literally just remix a level to stick their own name on it and steal credit, but they are the exception, and the benefits outweighs this problem, which can be fixed with correct moderation.

the desire to create things from scratch in Dreams is so prevalent that we almost lose sight that it's so incredibly easy to create or customize levels and whole games from existing asset collections like those from Mm or other creators:

the very assets can be customized as well...

it's such an amazing engine, no doubt to be more fully explored on PS5, with that extra power allowing for even higher voxel resolution

Dreams is such a treasure trove of awesome experiences and games! I just checked the Sky Kingdom jam top entries and they're all top indie quality stuff in wildly varying art styles...

every time I fire up Dreams expecting to enter creation mode and have something up and I lose around 2 hours just checking new stuff like that. It's bewildering...

can someone explain to me how creator Chris_Redwalker6 comes up with this kind of mindfuck?

the sheer amount of detail he puts in his creations is staggering. A testament to the power of Dreams.

great environmental artist, but less so in character models. could easily have imported one, but looks like one of those authors who enjoys creating everything from scratch.

you go dreamsurfing and sometimes stumble upon some real gems, like Ethan goes to work...

it's just plain unbelievable that such games and polish can come out of regular players...

formidable combination of animation and game. Btw, some of the action is very challenging - like the very last boss. The game also got a bad ending, good ending and secret ending (which I didn't get)

Last edited:

YoodlePro

can someone explain to me how creator Chris_Redwalker6 comes up with this kind of mindfuck?

the sheer amount of detail he puts in his creations is staggering. A testament to the power of Dreams.

great environmental artist, but less so in character models. could easily have imported one, but looks like one of those authors who enjoys creating everything from scratch.

yo what the hell is that?
I need to fire up dreams and get lost in there.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got to check this out. I started it up immediately in VR with 2 Move controllers. It was interesting that you need to go through a couple lengthy introductions before you can touch the VR settings, but I did them and turned off all comfort options.

After that I just went right into their own VR showcase and it's pretty damn cool. The blaster gun thing works really well and the platformer was great as well. I can tell this is going to be awesome when I start playing some creations and get back into making stuff.

Just random thoughts:
  • I don't like that turning follows your head movement and I can't seem to find a setting to turn that off. I like being able to walk around and turn with a controller while also moving my head independently (I have some VR legs)
  • My 7200 model PS4 Pro, which didn't really seem to make much noise from any games, really gets loud from this game
  • The damn Skyrim VR control scheme is just completely plastered in my brain and muscle memory so this is taking some time to re-train myself!
  • It looks great!
  • I wonder if I'll end up switching between Dualshock and Moves depending on the type of level I'm playing. The platformer from their VR showcase level probably plays better with a dualshock, while the blaster gun is clearly better with Moves.

I finally got to check this out. I started it up immediately in VR with 2 Move controllers. It was interesting that you need to go through a couple lengthy introductions before you can touch the VR settings, but I did them and turned off all comfort options.

After that I just went right into their own VR showcase and it's pretty damn cool. The blaster gun thing works really well and the platformer was great as well. I can tell this is going to be awesome when I start playing some creations and get back into making stuff.

Just random thoughts:
  • I don't like that turning follows your head movement and I can't seem to find a setting to turn that off. I like being able to walk around and turn with a controller while also moving my head independently (I have some VR legs)
  • My 7200 model PS4 Pro, which didn't really seem to make much noise from any games, really gets loud from this game
  • The damn Skyrim VR control scheme is just completely plastered in my brain and muscle memory so this is taking some time to re-train myself!
  • It looks great!
  • I wonder if I'll end up switching between Dualshock and Moves depending on the type of level I'm playing. The platformer from their VR showcase level probably plays better with a dualshock, while the blaster gun is clearly better with Moves.

some Dreams really almost make PS4 fry.

I don't like the head turn either or click turn in platformers with ds4 (weird) and yes, some are better with ds4 or with Moves. But overall, they came up with the best Move controllers ever, totally analog-like without sticks.

community jam is up and the theme is "Connection", but I'm just a learner with a long way to go. Have an idea for it but not time nor skill. I'll probably try something simpler...

I have a private dream called sketch, I literally just sketch and try something new every day... from painting in 3D to logic-making with chips and circuits, it's all so palpably physical in Dreams, specially in VR.

INC

Dreams is the unsung hero of this gen tbh

Seen more creative shit from dreams and the community than the last 7 years of this gen

Thanks to all who create stuff in dreams, for me to watch

Top Bottom