• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams |OT| A World Of Pure Imagination

Sintoid

So... Yesterday I finally forced myself to jump into Dreams
I got all the 4 Platinum Trophies in Little Big Planet 1,2,3 and VIta... When you accept the Dreams challenge you have to be in the right mood, with enough time and motivation...
I tried it sometimes during both beta and early access but I did a mistake, sculpting with Dualshock 4
Yesterday I tried Dreams with Plasystation Moves and my mind blown away
I'm a quite good 3D modeler and besides the tools "Philosophy" I'm here to say that very often I've been able to become so productive in such a short period of time, Dreams is an amazing tool, I love it in a way I couldn't believe it myself

And most of all Dreams it's such a vivid community of creators, creations, ideas and shared knowledge like Little Big Planet have never been

Can't wait to try VR Mode

God Enel

I'm not often visiting this thread and the things I see here are really impressive. Though I have to ask is there a finished game out? Seems like most of the stuff is just a demo or two. Like is there a a game that you can play for some hours from start to finish or is it mostly tiny stuff for 10-20 minutes?

I'm not often visiting this thread and the things I see here are really impressive. Though I have to ask is there a finished game out? Seems like most of the stuff is just a demo or two. Like is there a a game that you can play for some hours from start to finish or is it mostly tiny stuff for 10-20 minutes?

There are tons of games that are finished and even some that are a few hours long, but generally most things are designed as shorter experiences. This would be because people have a short attention span while playing Dreams, and the people making the levels are either very small teams or even one man bands. That being said:

Here is my playthrough of Happy Jack which took me a little less than three hours:

There is an RPG called Slayer Scrolls 2 I did a little voice acting in which takes about the same time

It’s wasn’t finished last time I checked but this procedural dungeon crawler is awesome and can be played for hours unlocking a full skill tree:

Cabin in the woods is one of Dreams best kept secrets a really tightly designed Horror experience that reminded me a lot of P.T which took me about an hour:

Just a few examples but what you’re looking for is out there for you I think.

Last edited:

Miles708

I've recently bought it and so far i truly love it.
I didn't venture online yet, and I'm roughly halfway in the story mode (Art's Dream), which is awesome in its own right.

I love how Dreams makes creating fun. I'm not a creative person, I don't have ideas, but it's not even what you're creating, for now I'm still at "abstract nonsense" level and i love it.

The general consensus is to at least pick the game for the other's creations and, while it's reasonable (I still have to check this side of the game), I think it greatly downplays the outstanding work Media Molecule have made with the editors and the tutorials.

The editor (sculpt editor, music editor, animation editor, painting editor) IS the game, it's just a different gameplay mechanic than most games. It's like playing Animal Crossing every day while accomplishing pretty much nothing: just fiddling with everything is so satisfying.

I've managed to create a button on the floor.
When you step on it, the button is pushed and firework plays. I could NEVER make something like this work in Unreal Engine, because I'm dumb and I know nothing about coding.

I'm so happy something like Dreams exists at all, it's an incredible feat in every aspect, and a fun game even without actually playing any other creation. Turns out, creating something can be fun indeed.

This is wonderful.

Last edited:
I've recently bought it and so far i truly love it.
I didn't venture online yet, and I'm roughly halfway in the story mode (Art's Dream), which is awesome in its own right.

I love how Dreams makes creating fun. I'm not a creative person, I don't have ideas, but it's not even what you're creating, for now I'm still at "abstract nonsense" level and i love it.

The general consensus is to at least pick the game for the other's creations and, while it's reasonable (I still have to check this side of the game), I think it greatly downplays the outstanding work Media Molecule have made with the editors and the tutorials.

The editor (sculpt editor, music editor, animation editor, painting editor) IS the game, it's just a different gameplay mechanic than most games. It's like playing Animal Crossing every day while accomplishing pretty much nothing: just fiddling with everything is so satisfying.

I've managed to create a button on the floor.
When you step on it, the button is pushed and firework plays. I could NEVER make something like this work in Unreal Engine, because I'm dumb and I know nothing about coding.

I'm so happy something like Dreams exists at all, it's an incredible feat in every aspect, and a fun game even without actually playing any other creation. Turns out, creating something can be fun indeed.

This is wonderful.

QG2M3F0.jpg

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
No offence but some of these videos are barely getting one hundred views. Is it worth constantly promoting them?

Psykodad

Banned
Quick look at our new combat system. Decided to give our combo system a major overhaul after discussing community feedback and added some more mechanics like staggers.

Kinda sucks that all the covid stuff and other major events kinda slow down development.

Romulus

Quick look at our new combat system. Decided to give our combo system a major overhaul after discussing community feedback and added some more mechanics like staggers.

Kinda sucks that all the covid stuff and other major events kinda slow down development.

Looks good, I think one thing that could really help garner more attention for it is the default looking playable character being demoed.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

Really cool also this project

Using the PS4 pad gyroscope controls is beyond awful. I can't make an arched bridge in the tutorial never mind a full game, tearing my fucking hair out. WTF.

Surely a mouse support would have made this 1000 times better?

Cool idea, would have liked to have gone further with it, but diabolical interface and controls. I know you can use Move controller but fuck that noise.

Have no clue how some of the games would made by people.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm still waiting for that VR update. I guess I was right when I assumed it wasn't something that would be ready for a while after launch, but now I'm left wondering if I'll also be right that it'll have some limitations. Like maybe the thermometer is lessened for VR-enabled levels or something.

I hope it's the full game without heavy restrictions for VR and then I can finally pick up a copy.

Miles708

Using the PS4 pad gyroscope controls is beyond awful. I can't make an arched bridge in the tutorial never mind a full game, tearing my fucking hair out. WTF.

Surely a mouse support would have made this 1000 times better?

Cool idea, would have liked to have gone further with it, but diabolical interface and controls. I know you can use Move controller but fuck that noise.

Have no clue how some of the games would made by people.

The tutorial is more of a "free form" affair, later thegame will introduce you the snap-to-grid feature that makes doing precise work much easier.
For tutorials, I'd argue it's more "educational" to see how much you can bend the rules and still complete it.

The tutorial is more of a "free form" affair, later thegame will introduce you the snap-to-grid feature that makes doing precise work much easier.
For tutorials, I'd argue it's more "educational" to see how much you can bend the rules and still complete it.

I should still be able to complete the level with a wonky bridge it is just frustrating that I don't seem to be able to do it right. I will push on then thanks, it is probably not important in the scheme of things.

Top Bottom