• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast 22nd Anniversary |OT| Still Dreaming

Zotaku

It was like the perfect storm....
..that led to nothing..

Back then I wasn't so informed about video game sales stuff, so I thought the DC was a huge success.
Really everybody of my friends had one.

I guess I was living in some kind of video game hipster bubble back then...

I was so let down by the demise of the Dream Cast that I never bought a PS2 later on.

Due to the loyalty AND love I had towards the Dreamcast, I was very reluctant to even consider the competition from Sony, and I could've probably carried on replaying my favourites(Code Veronica, Soul Calibur and Shenmue1+2), but MGS2 had me SO excited that I just HAD to give in.

Gargus

Banned
I still can't quite explain why, but the DC is still my favorite console of all time. There was just something about the DC. I actually think that is still my favorite era in gaming.

That's because new systems could still change gaming and foster creativity in gaming. Games were still being experimented with.

Now graphics have come so far that when we get more powerful hardware in a new generation the games are basically the same, they just look slightly better.

Games have been around so long now that they don't really do much that's new and exciting or hasn't been seen before. Sure you can have new mechanics or art styles but the games themselves still play the same. When the DC launched it allowed new forms of gameplay and new genres to come out because the horse power wasn't there before. The hardware a good sized jump, the controller was different, and Sega in general were still trying to branch games out and change them.

That was also the time period where you lived and died by making interesting and good games. Now you live and die by earnings, stock values, the approval of share holders, and what meta critic rates you at. A lot of the creativity and desire to create good games has fallen by the way side to make room for franchises, tried and true formulas, and familiarity. Profit is the number one priority for most game companies now.

So it wasn't so much that DC had a special place in my heart as much as that era held a place in my heart. That whole time period is what really grabbed me because gaming was like the wild west and you'd see new and interesting things everywhere. From the ps1 to the dreamcast was my favorite time in gaming.

Caffeine

I always liked this dreamcast maybe one day I will track it down.
HhT7TUi.jpg

Greatest videogame system of all time.

A true labour of love, visionary as no other console even dreamt of trying to be since.

The proof that the stars that shine brighter fade away sooner.

But what a ride it was while it lasted...

Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arkadia, Soul Calibur, Power Stone, Marvel vs Capcom, Crazy Taxi, F355 Challenge, Rez, Space Channel 5, Sonic Adventure, Seaman...

128 bit. Internet. Online gaming. A second screen. An online portal. The bridge between arcade, home consoles and pc. Cell shading...

End of an era, for Sega and (proper) hardcore gaming as a whole, truly.

Dream on!

wipeout364

Not going to lie I was not there on day one. I loved my dreamcast console though. I played the hell out of it. there was so much greatness it was probably my most disappointed moments in gaming when Sega gave the word they were packing it in.

Some of the games I played to death were:

5167_front.jpg
61d-Kj3FHsL._SX342_.jpg
DC_PHANTASY_STAR_ONLINE.jpg
dc_skies_of_arcadia_p_ytqyak.jpg

71LEOKRqYkL._SX342_.jpg
!!e!UW!!BWM~$(KGrHqN,!iEE0E0OYMTBBNP3LnfJvg~~_35.JPG
775259-f355_cover.jpg

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Awesome OP.
I remember being a kid and I was waiting for the PS2 but then the Dreamcast came out and I was blown away so I got one of those instead. I wish I had kept mine but I still remember all the good times, arcade perfect ports, and unique titles. It was ahead of it's time in many ways. I still think it's the best looking console ever and also has the best name & logo. If only Sega could get back into the hardware game.

I had just turned 17 three weeks prior to it’s launch. I pre ordered the console at Best Buy many months before after playing a demo for sonic adventure they had there.

I had my mom pick it for me on launch day and when we got home from school, it was on the dining table waiting for me.

I was an avid fan of Dreamcast and it’s one of my favorite consoles ever. So many amazing games and memories.

9,9,99 forever.

UnNamed

Banned
I bought my imported JAP Dreamcast in April 1999, 5 months after the japanese release, with Sega Rally. I also had Blue Stinger, never finished, I was stucked at some point cause I don't read japanese. Then Powerstone were I broke the trigger on the pad. Shenmue, great experience despite was all in japanese. Soul Calibur, F1, Crazy Taxy and so many others...

Last edited:

kassj0peja

Neo Member
I grew up with Amiga 500 and PC gaming and only played consoles at my friends house. The Dreamcast was the first console I owned and it is the best console ever made. It is powerful, small, has a nice design with no power brick and most of all it had a lot of innovative features (online gaming, 480p, VGA). Looking at its entire catalog I dont think that it had a high ratio of fantastic games. Shenmue is my favorite game of all time though.

ranmafan

I’ll never forget importing one from Japan at the time when I was still living in the US, and for four months before the us launch having the future of gaming in my hands. Still probably my favorite of all the home consoles by all the companies. SEGA had an incredible lineup of unique and fresh games. Plus it was the system where I finally was able to experience the Sakura Taisen series with the remakes as well as 3 and 4. Of all the systems that died before their time, this was the hardest one to see. It’s also the one I most want to see a mini system of if possible. So even though I’m one of those that is about to celebrate its 21st anniversary, I’ll still be playing something Dreamcast related tonight for the celebration of 9/9/99 all over again.

petran79

Banned
I have the Sega Dreamcast I bought back in 1999. Still works too. When the console went under all those great games hit the bargain bin, brand new. I picked up a lot of games, good games, for cheap. I haven't counted them, but there must be 10 or a dozen games for it. Shemnue, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Phantasy Star Online, Quake 3, Echo the Dolphin, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic, Hidden and Dangerous, Toy Commander and others. I only sold one game and I regret doing it. It was called Mr. Mosquito. The game was so bazaar. You play as this mosquito buzzing around trying to bite someone in their house. I stuck it out for about 20 minutes. Then I thought to myself, I'll never play this game. So I took it to Electronics Boutique and sold it.

Problem is now I have no TV to hook it up to. I have a Sony CRT, but the over scan is real bad. Maybe getting into the service menu would fix it. I've been in there, but everything is pretty complex, so I backed out without monkeying around. There are adapters or mods for the console, allowing it to plug in to a modern HDTV, but I haven't made the investment.

A simple VGA output cable costs 15 Dollars the most and it was worth it. It also had audio out

Kazza

Yeah, quite a few: Soul Calibur, Mars Matrix, both Power Stones, Crazy Taxi 2, Chu Chu Rocket, any of the 2K Sports games from this time period, Bangai-O, Giga Wing 1 and 2, Tech Romancer, Project Justice, Cannon Spike, SEGA Rally Championship 2, Daytona USA 2001, etc.

Thanks for the list. Power Stone is definitely one that needs a re-release. With Sega Rally 2 a straight arcade port would probably be best, given the Dreamcast one's framerate issues. People complain about the overly sensitive controls, but I'd love to see Daytona USA 2001 make a reappearance, as it has the Saturn CCE tracks, plus a couple more new ones. Of the Crazy Taxi games, I'd most like to see number 3 from the Xbox ported, as it has an extra Vegas-style track, but the framerate isn't great.

Kazza

Does anyone have any answers to these controller design related mysteries?
1. Why did they have the wire come out of the bottom of the controller?
2. Why did the the controller only have a single analogue stick when Sony had already released the Dual Shock 1 back in November 1997 (all subsequent consoles all included two sticks)
3. Why did they ditch the 6 face buttons for the 4 button diamond layout?

Caffeine

2. Why did the the controller only have a single analogue stick when Sony had already released the Dual Shock 1 back in November 1997 (all subsequent consoles all included two sticks)
1. balance so the weight of the controller was pulled to the rear also I assume vmu would get in the way. there is a clip on the bottom to wrap it forward.
6HHF5TT.jpg

2. they were designing it based on that black saturn controller. even though sony put out the 2 analog ps1 pad not many games used it, in fact some games needed dualshock edition re-releases. The games that didn't use it assigned the controller to basically did what the face buttons did. However some games could be played with a mouse and keyboard on dreamcast.
3. this was a strange decision I would assume comfort. Anyway strange because it had a lot of arcade ports which were mostly 6 buttons.
there actually was a 6 button ascii controller with traditional dpad
stGtRD8.jpg

IKSTUGA

Never owned one, but I've played plenty of its iconic games on other systems. PSO and Soul Calibur are still amazing.

TheContact

I still have a launch day Dreamcast and it still works. I was playing PSO and Skies of Arcadia on it the other day. Meanwhile my xbox 360 and ps3 won't even turn on anymore. Sonic Adventure is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Carton

So many classics. The definitive Tony Hawk’s, Toy Commander, Soul Calibur, Ready 2 Rumble, Sonic Aventure, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Tennis, Metropolis Street Racer, UFC. I haven’t played a library of games as much since.

I also must admit, I somewhat resented the PS2 for a while after it killed the Dreamcast. Even though I bought one of them at launch too, it was just a nagging feeling.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

I played the shit out of PSO with my 33,6k Modem back in the day. Our TS were mobile phones for short bursts of time. (to expansive otherwise and the phone line was busy with my dreamcast) :D

Carna

Banned
Is Sonic Adventure 2 the first to do a ranking system, or was there a earlier unknown game that did that?

I love the Dreamcast. Thanks to it's incredible ports of MVC2, CVS2 and 3S it's never left my setup.

I wanted a Dreamcast so bad at launch then I dated a girl just because she had one. After I got bored of Sonic Adventure I broke up with her. I was an ass and she deserved better but I really needed to play that Dreamcast !

The Snake

My all-time favorite console!

I did the SD card mod to mine about a year ago and it was such a damn good move on my part.

I think for answers 2 and 3, SEGA really couldn't afford to splash the cash and decided that the Saturn's Analogue Controller was good enough for the time.

They mimiced the PS1 controller for buttons and decided against the second stick to cut down costs.

I think this is also true about them sticking to G-CDs instead of DVD as they couldn't compete financially.

Not 100% but I remember reading that SEGA couldn't financially make any mistakes after the Saturn so had to cut corners. The only reason why the Modem was included was due to SoA betting that online gaming would take off (they tried to make money back on Subscriptions to their Internet, which pissed off some).

Last edited:

Komatsu

I think for answers 2 and 3, SEGA really couldn't afford to splash the cash and decided that the Saturn's Analogue Controller was good enough for the time.

They mimiced the PS1 controller for buttons and decided against the second stick to cut down costs.

I think this is also true about them sticking to G-CDs instead of DVD as they couldn't compete financially.

Not 100% but I remember reading that SEGA couldn't financially make any mistakes after the Saturn so had to cut corners. The only reason why the Modem was included was due to SoA betting that online gaming would take off (they tried to make money back on Subscriptions to their Internet, which pissed off some).

SEGA was indeed burning through cash but the Dreamcast's design choices were not as constrained by modem - an additional analogue stick would have been peanuts compared to the modular modem, for example. The interview with Hideki Sato, SEGA's cheif engineering officer, that I linked on the OP covers some of that.

Bluecondor

9/9/99!

I was at EB Games at midnight, picking up the console and, from what I remember, Crazy Taxi. I seem to remember having to wait a few days for NFL2K to come in, but it was an awesome game.

The DC was my go-to console from 9/9/99 through 2001, when I finally had to give in and get a PS2. I still have fond memories of great games like NFL2K, NBA2K, Shenmue, Shenmue 2, Seaman, Jet Set Radio, Jet Grind Radio, Samba Di Amigo.

It was a good two years, and it was really disheartening when it became clear that third party developers were not going to support the DC.

SpiceRacz

virtua tennis is teh best tennis game.

Virtua Tennis to me is a flawless game for it's time. It's the epitome of "easy to learn, hard to master" gameplay. The world tour mode was great for teaching you different techniques while gradually increasing the difficulty and challenging you to improve with each opponent. Learning each opponent's tendencies/patterns and understanding how to manipulate them around the court. They made several sequels, but I still think they got it right with the first one.

SEGA was indeed burning through cash but the Dreamcast's design choices were not as constrained by modem - an additional analogue stick would have been peanuts compared to the modular modem, for example. The interview with Hideki Sato, SEGA's cheif engineering officer, that I linked on the OP covers some of that.

Ah fair enough to that but SEGA themselves got themselves in that situation from Saturns failure.

The Modem was going to be a separate thing though. SoA had a great vision but sadly most only cared for the PS2 so it couldn't save them. :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, 20 fuckin' years. I'd say it feels like yesterday, but.... it actually does feel like it's been 20 years. Which makes sense.

Anyway, Dreamcast was rad, and Soul Calibur was the best launch game, etc., etc. Also, Under Defeat and Border Down are on Dreamcast, and are two of the best shmups ever.

Komatsu

Peter Moore did a great job with the launch, but I still believe he used SEGA as a stepping-stone in his way to the top, first to Microsoft, then to EA and then, finally, to his dream job as Liverpool's CEO (the dude was a Phys Ed teacher, footie is his passion). I find his claim that he was the one who pulled the plug on the DC and took SEGA down the third party route to be utterly BOLLOCKS. As someone who's worked for a Japanese company, the idea that this key decision could have been made outside Tokyo... beggars belief.

What killed SEGA was the (extremely shortsighted) decision to kill the Genesis in 1995 while sales were still strong and - worse - to abandon the Saturn, leaving the North American market for a year and half without any SEGA hardware offerings. If SEGA hadn't bled money in 1998, they could have easily weathered the storm.

ypeOxUW.png

People here have mentioned the PS2 - I had the console as well and it might have been one of my fondest memories in gaming, but the PS2 launch campaign was a prime example of a marketing push choke full of astonishing bad faith and false promises. Some of the specs and feats ventilated in 1999 were above and beyond anything Sony could deliver and the PS2, though still the bestselling system of all time, was actually pretty underwhelming in a lot of ways. Though it had, for example, almost four times the raw computing power of the DC, the Dreamcast actually fares pretty well in all multiplat comparisons. Developing for the PS2 involved some vodoo in getting the shader pipelines in place, handling the ten specific processors (IOP, SPU1&2, MDEC, R5900, VU0&1, GIF, VIF, GS) and all six different memory spaces (IOP, SPU, CPU, GS, VU0&1), etc. etc.

The Dreamcast's SDK Katana (see picture below) was great and very easy to use! And for those who didn't want to go down that route, the Windows CE Toolkit rovided a full-featured development environment including optimized DirectX libraries (Direct3D, etc.) , sound and input, as well as in-built support for networking.

SegaDC_KatanaOn.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom