• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama show The Bear wins four Best Comedy awards at the Critics Choice awards

bitbydeath

You couldn’t find a more serious show, WTH?

BEST COMEDY SERIES
Winner: The Bear (FX)
BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Winner: Jeremy Allen White – The Bear (FX)
BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Winner: Ayo Edebiri – The Bear (FX)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Winner: Ebon Moss-Bachrach – The Bear (FX)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
They say drama but award it comedy

Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

I’ve only seen a bit of it there was no bear

Last edited:

DKehoe

How these award shows define comedy is often a bit weird. I guess FX figured Succession was running away with a lot of the drama awards. It's got a pretty similar drama-to-comedy split as The Bear but is more high-profile and with it being the last season it was always going to do well.

The Bear is an excellent show. I'd highly encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to check it out.

The Christmas episode and the one after it, Forks, were both incredible.

Marvel14

Banned
I’d class it as a Driller (Drama / Thriller) because the tension each episode brings is through the roof. The only thing funny about the show is it receiving comedy awards.
Drillery then.. I agree with you, it's very tense, the relationships are serious but I still find myself laughing in some episodes.

It's a bit like the movie Parasite, flits from one genre to another.

YCoCg

It contains elements of Comedy but honestly it was submitted as Comedy so it could be an easy win for the show, which is a shame in a sense as the show can stand on its own but also it was clear Succession would be the dominant this year.

DKehoe

I’d class it as a Driller (Drama / Thriller) because the tension each episode brings is through the roof. The only thing funny about the show is it receiving comedy awards.
I think it does a great job of operating on different tonal levels. The tension is off the charts on the Christmas episode but the Copenhagen one has a very different feel.

I would definitely say there are comedy elements throughout it though. Like even in that Christmas episode you have the Fak brothers baseball card scheme.

Last edited:

Doom85

I mean, certain stories can make some people see it as more of a drama or comedy. When I saw the film Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, I definitely would have classified it as a drama, yet after it came out so many people called it a dark comedy. Um, there were some funny moments here or there, but the movie was way more focused on the serious elements to me, but to each their own.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This confused me but sometimes it’s the creators who decide how to identify their work when they submit to awards shows, so maybe that’s what happened.

It’s a very good show but man I can barely handle how intense it is and not sure I’ve ever found it particularly funny.

Hugare

Guys, it was considered for the "comedy" category due to the runtime.

30 minutes TV shows can only dispute the award as a "comedy" show (that's what I heard from the movie critic that was commenting the show)

It's absolutely ridiculous, but thats the Golden Globes for you

Tams

Fantastic and very well deserved. I can't wait until the next series. One drama I actually like the American take on more than the British one.

It's a bit of a shame that Ayo Edebiri had to blabber on about 'black blablabla'. Just be happy that your talent has been recognised and rewarded.

clarky

Gold Member
Fantastic and very well deserved. I can't wait until the next series. One drama I actually like the American take on more than the British one.

It's a bit of a shame that Ayo Edebiri had to blabber on about 'black blablabla'. Just be happy that your talent has been recognised and rewarded.
As far as im aware The Bear is an original show, it has no British version , like say The Office.

DKehoe

By the British one do you mean Boiling Point?

Ribi

You take a white man and put with with a black cast, have them run a sandwich shop, and hilarity ensues!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I love this show, especially the second season
  • Absolutely on point casting
  • Some of the best acting on television/streaming of aforementioned cast in the past decade
  • The cinematography is some of the best, and uses multiple techniques such as changing the pace of the transitions to match the energy of the scene
  • The best musical diegesis of any show I can remember watching

Last edited:

Mistake

I tried this show at a friend's recommendation. Didn't like it. I couldn't see the point as they seem to bitch the entire time and there wasn't exactly a story or anything

Billbofet

Great to see this! I love this show. Aside from the out-of-nowhere, terrible Christmas episode, Season 2 was some of the best TV I have seen in years.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I tried this show at a friend's recommendation. Didn't like it. I couldn't see the point as they seem to bitch the entire time and there wasn't exactly a story or anything

The story is great. A myriad of threads that tie together across separated episodes. Extremely strong character building. Authentic depictions of the industry which tie into the story.

There's a reason it was nominated for something like 30 awards. 18 Emmy noms in its first season.

But hey taste of art is subjective and all I guess.

Last edited:

Mistake

I only tried the first episode. There was like a small dash of actual talking here or there, and the rest was straight complaining for 40 minutes. Maybe I could tolerate it if Gordon Ramsay did a cameo, at least he can be funny

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Episode 1 has Chainsaw Man pacing and it was clearly a pilot. Richie saying YOU SNYDER CUT MOTHER FUCKERS then later on doesn't act like that.

The show gets way better I didn't like episode 1 either.

Episode 1 has Chainsaw Man pacing and it was clearly a pilot. Richie saying YOU SNYDER CUT MOTHER FUCKERS then later on doesn't act like that.

The show gets way better I didn't like episode 1 either.
I almost didn't continue after E1 either. It had no hook. It DRASTICALLY improves afterwards in my opinion. As a side note, one of the few current shows that properly fleshes out, develops and treats black characters as individuals and not diversity cardboard cutouts exclusively defined by generic trauma. I give it a lot of credit for that.

That Christmas episode was one of the most stressful and anxiety-inducing things I've watched since Breaking Bad. I almost turned it off to take a break. The whole fork exchange reminded me of my household as a kid and was equally as disgusting in an impressive way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom