• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: The Most Influential Game No One Ever Copied.

Holammer

sC5tL5j.jpg

Also tried to play it on PS3 when it was a plus game. Tried again when I got it for free with humble monthly. I can't fucking stand the game.

And I'm a guy who loves RPGs.

I quite liked the game and enjoyed the D&D vibes. It's by no means a perfect game (88% steam user score), but I reckon there's plenty of potential to develop concept into a game to rival Dark Souls.
Just needs a better story and flush the pawn system.

John Day

I think it was the comparisons to Demon’s Souls that muddled it’s first reactions. Demon’s Soul was word of mouth success, dream come true. And Dogma followed, but people felt like it was “yeah dude, you’re late to the party, this guy stole your thunder”.

I’m no expert, but i think that didn’t help it.

DavidGzz

I used to play D&D. I think that Dragon's Dogma is the closest depiction of how I imagine epic full party fights in D&D. It's epic af and I hope we get a sequel.

sublimit

Banned
I think it was the comparisons to Demon’s Souls that muddled it’s first reactions. Demon’s Soul was word of mouth success, dream come true. And Dogma followed, but people felt like it was “yeah dude, you’re late to the party, this guy stole your thunder”.

I’m no expert, but i think that didn’t help it.
Not to Demon's Souls but there were comparisons to Dark Souls. I remember when the demo came out some people complained that there wasn't a lock-on button for example. To be honest even to me it felt a bit weird and it took me some time to get used to DD's combat since i also wasn't very used to Monster Hunter's combat.
When the Dark Arisen expansion came out people also said that they were trying to appeal to the Souls crowds with Bitter Black Isle. Even criticized the appearance of mimics as straight up copying Dark Souls (as if Dark souls was the first game ever) that had mimicks in it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom