• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate "to shape the next 10 to 20 years of Dragon Quest", a mix of new and old

Fbh

To shape the next 20 years!!!*
*if it sells well.

Anyway, as someone who only got into the franchise with XI, one of the elements I liked the most was the classical JRPG feeling combined with the nice production values. So it would be a shame if they completely leave that behind in order to turn it into another action based JRPG of which there are many. Though I wouldn't mind adding some new twists to the combat. Some sort of ATB Gauge, or positioning being more important, or maybe doubling down on the combined attacks, etc.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Id like it if they abandoned the series roots and made it into an action RPG. Give it a modern / futuristic aesthetic. Maybe they can put a young up and coming character designer to overhaul the dated Toriyama character designs into something stylish like you'd see in a Japanese fashion magazine

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Choose from the many available Action RPGs in the market. Done.
Bugs Bunny No GIF

supernova8

Banned
The usual irrelevant snippets leaked from Ryokutya that say nothing besides vague hints and are likely badly summarized/translated and out of context anyway. I can't believe people still make articles from this source instead of... yanno... Buying Famitsu (which is available digitally worldwide) and translating the actual interview.

But I guess for some being first is more important than being accurate. 🤔

I'm not buying it but I'll translate it if someone does (I translate Japanese for a living)

SumJester

Spinoff game. Mainline looks amazing
The single player offering was always lacking since Squaresoft merged with Enix. Still XII was a good JRPG but a bad Final Fantasy. But let's wait for XVI, we might get lucky this time.
(Does Remake count? I don't really know...)
You made clear that you're not interested in a non-spinoff Dragon Quest, even if you didn't quite understood what you wrote. Better just accept it and look up other JRPG alternatives.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
The single player offering was always lacking since Squaresoft merged with Enix. Still XII was a good JRPG but a bad Final Fantasy. But let's wait for XVI, we might get lucky this time.
(Does Remake count? I don't really know...)

You made clear that you're not interested in a non-spinoff Dragon Quest, even if you didn't quite understood what you wrote. Better just accept it and look up other JRPG alternatives.
its going to be action based : P

Top Bottom