• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate "to shape the next 10 to 20 years of Dragon Quest", a mix of new and old

DQ12_07-19-21.jpg

Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate, which was officially announced in May, will shape the next 10 to 20 years of the Dragon Quest series, Square Enix president and CEO Yosuke Matsuda said in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu.

“Dragon Quest XII is being developed taking into account the next 10 to 20 years of the Dragon Quest series,” Matsuda said.

He added, “There are parts that remain consistent with the traditional image of Dragon Quest, but new elements are also necessary. After all, as a brand we always need to innovate.”

Originally when the game was revealed, they mentioned forcing players to make various choices and deciding their way of life which sound like some of the new elements. I think the series will continue to feature turn-based battles but they might update it with every new entry.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
DQ12_07-19-21.jpg

Originally when the game was revealed, they mentioned forcing players to make various choices and deciding their way of life which sound like some of the new elements. I think the series will continue to feature turn-based battles but they might update it with every new entry.

The usual irrelevant snippets leaked from Ryokutya that say nothing besides vague hints and are likely badly summarized/translated and out of context anyway. I can't believe people still make articles from this source instead of... yanno... Buying Famitsu (which is available digitally worldwide) and translating the actual interview.

But I guess for some being first is more important than being accurate. 🤔

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
It...didn't say much. I mean, its not like DQ didn't remain faithfull in some parts while bring some new elements from table, no?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I hope they make the battle system less boring. I don’t care so much whether it’s turn based or action or whatever. But the standard DQ formula where the bad guys stand on one side, your party stands on the other, and you sit there picking “attack” from a menu over and over is just boring as hell. Anything is better than that.

Make it actually strategic by having you move and position your characters around the battlefield. Or rip off Grandia. Or go for a full blown Kingdom Hearts or Ys style action RPG. Anything would be better.

I hope they make the battle system less boring. I don’t care so much whether it’s turn based or action or whatever. But the standard DQ formula where the bad guys stand on one side, your party stands on the other, and you sit there picking “attack” from a menu over and over is just boring as hell. Anything is better than that.

Make it actually strategic by having you move and position your characters around the battlefield. Or rip off Grandia. Or go for a full blown Kingdom Hearts or Ys style action RPG. Anything would be better.
Make it a Tactics-lite. Turn based makes sense for things like Fire Emblem or Chess. When you need to consider positioning in your turn, it makes sense to pause.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Also hope they give us the full definitive game from day 1 (with NO FUCKING MIDI MUSIC). And if they make expansions later on, at least give us the damn ability to purchase them as DLC instead of selling it as a completely separate game that’s incompatible with the original.

The usual irrelevant snippets leaked from Ryokutya that say nothing besides vague hints and are likely badly summarized/translated and out of context anyway. I can't believe people still make articles from this source instead of... yanno... Buying Famitsu (which is available digitally worldwide) and translating the actual interview.

But I guess for some being first is more important than being accurate. 🤔
Do you have a more accurate translation to share or did you want to be first to ridicule the source?

This was, like, the one series where they never ever had to change anything so drastically. The basic formula was already perfected and was accessible to all of its focus group - from 5 year-old japanese children to 80-year old japanese seniors. Part of the reason why DQ is so well-regarded in Japan is specifically because it can be played by pretty much anyone - its narratives usually mimics cartoons in a Disney or Ghibli-like sense of never being either too serious or too innocent.

I mean, I'll try to trust Yuji Horii. The only other RPG this man made that wasn't called Dragon Quest in the last 30 years was literally Chrono Trigger. But damn if I don't sound the more worried by the minute.

I just wonder why they couldn't simply make a different game. I just hope it's not different on order to try to appeal to westerners (which is quite probably what is is...)

This was, like, the one series where they never ever had to change anything so drastically. The basic formula was already perfected and was accessible to all of its focus group - from 5 year-old japanese children to 80-year old japanese seniors. Part of the reason why DQ is so well-regarded in Japan is specifically because it can be played by pretty much anyone - its narratives usually mimics cartoons in a Disney or Ghibli-like sense of never being either too serious or too innocent.

I mean, I'll try to trust Yuji Horii. The only other RPG this man made that wasn't called Dragon Quest in the last 30 years was literally Chrono Trigger. But damn if I don't sound the more worried by the minute.

I just wonder why they couldn't simply make a different game. I just hope it's not different on order to try to appeal to westerners (which is quite probably what is is...)
Well for one thing, I doubt the composer, main character designer and director will all be able to work on it in the same capacity in 20 years. At some point they have to try and plan for the next era of Dragon Quest.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Well for one thing, I doubt the composer, main character designer and director will all be able to work on it in the same capacity in 20 years. At some point they have to try and plan for the next era of Dragon Quest.
In all honesty, I'll be a challenge to think what the future holds as these people were as part of Dragon Quest as the series itself is. Sugiyama is kind of a prick and he's currently 90, so it's not like someone else won't have to take the reigns sooner or later. I wish it was Yasunori Mitsuda, specially since he already worked with the team before in Chrono Trigger. (and I honestly think he's the only one good enough for this change)

Thing is, unlike Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest was never about reinventing itself every time but making small incrementations and different evolutions in every title. Seeing them in order you can plainly tell what has evolved and what has been left out of the table. It's comfort food; I just hope they don't try to overdo it and end up with something completely different from what the series is.

Trying to please everyone and forgetting your own strengths usually is a very stupid thing to do. I still wonder why they didn't try to do something different, other than making Dragon Quest different itself. If anything, I just hope it's a good change akin to what Breath of the Wild is compared to what Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword was.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Do you have a more accurate translation to share or did you want to be first to ridicule the source?

The source definitely deserves to be ridiculed, considering how many misleading articles came in the same vein as this and were never corrected. Remember Tifa's "constricted" boobs?

As for a more accurate translation, I'll have it on Wednesday when Famitsu releases, since I don't particularly care to mislead people to publish vague nothings in a hurry (and at the very least, I buy my sources instead of making up articles out of literally stolen info).

Last edited:
I'm all for change if done right, but DQ is great as it is and I'd hate to see them drastically change things to appeal to a different audience. I sincerely doubt that will happen and a lot of what we heard could be getting lost in translation or misinterpreted for clicks, but we'll have to wait for an official trailer.

Everyone complaining about the battle system, go play something else. I play turn based RPGs and action RPGs, it's possible to play a variety of games/genres and enjoy them. Turn based is great when the battle system requires strategy. DQ in base difficulty is a breeze but with the Draconian Quest difficulty levels you can really make battles a lot more challenging if you wish.

Some posts here are basically "don't make DQ like DQ". I say go look at any other JRPG if you don't enjoy old school style, it's not like the offering is lacking.
Yeah, it makes no sense. Dragon Quest is bread and butter - it's supposed to be. And it's the best damn bread and butter out there. People sometimes are like "but have you tried adding vinegar and baking powder to it?" like it makes some sort of sense, unbeknowonst to what actually makes it good.

I guess to people who don't know much or don't care about the series, it's easy to see how any change could be a good change. To people who are affectionate of it, however, it just sounds horrid. It'd be ruining the recipe.

FStubbs

Sugiyama is kind of a prick and he's currently 90, so it's not like someone else won't have to take the reigns sooner or later. I wish it was Yasunori Mitsuda, specially since he already worked with the team before in Chrono Trigger. (and I honestly think he's the only one good enough for this change)
Joe Hisaishi would be the guy I'd want.

The source definitely deserves to be ridiculed, considering how many misleading articles came in the same vein as this and were never corrected. Remember Tifa's "constricted" boobs?

As for a more accurate translation, I'll have it on Wednesday when Famitsu releases, since I don't particularly care to mislead people to publish vague nothings in a hurry (and at the very least, I buy my sources instead of making up articles out of literally stolen info).
Thanks. Looking forward to it.

sublimit

Banned
Hmm interesting. I don't know but the first thing that came to mind is that XII will be the first main DQ that will have a new composer (probably alongside with Sugiyama).They really need to find a new composer that matches with Sugiyama's iconic work and who will be there for the next few decades.

As for other changes i wonder what that could mean. Online elements? A bigger open world? Action implementations in combat ?(they tried to do something like that in DQXI but it was pointless).

Sounds like this will be major, tectonic shift for the series in order to finally make breakthrough in the West. Like when CoD changed from WW2 to modern, when BF3 happened or when RE quit static cameras and recently 3rd person. Sometimes you have to gather your courage, grind your teeth and make difficult and hard decision that will reap benefits for years and decades down the line. DQ series is at that crossroad now. They can’t continue with basic turn-based system and fairytale style looks and stories that is making the series stagnant and not growing. It’s a delicate work, you can’t veer off too much away from your fanbase also. SE is probably jealous of Capcom’s recent renaissance in the West and desperately wants some of that pie too.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm fine with keeping the core of what makes Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest; however they've got to do something to freshen up the formula. DQ11 honestly felt like a step back relative to DQ8 and the content it provided (specifically the Monster Arena which was a nice gotta catch em all addition).

I'm fine with keeping classic DQ - obviously can't change the combat, but add something a bit more to it to make it a bit more strategic - but they have got to bring more to the table. Resting on past successes to drive the next game instead of innovation isn't going to cut it anymore.

Isa

Gold Member
What if... what if they changed the art style to some modern style? Not that I'm keen and most of the groundwork has already been laid. But I could see them handing the reigns off to some other artist(s) to try and draw in a more "adult" audience. I hope it never happens, and honestly hope little is changed save for more mature tones and such in the story maybe. I don't mind blood if necessary. But then again its Squeenix we're talkin' about here. As much as I've really enjoyed some of their output lately those games have come with pretty big weaknesses to boot. I don't trust much of their planning and output save for Yoko Taro and Yoshi P. And maybe the next Mana title.

Hope it turns out good. People wanting that much change would do well to look for those features elsewhere as DQ is among the last of its breed. And if Square is concerned about the age and ability of the founders then I'd say the better investment would be to work on an entirely new franchise. But of course they'd never let the Brand recognition go to waste. Its a shame really that companies can't just retire something beloved to the vaults, gotta milk that cow for all its worth damnit.

april6e

That's what they always claim and then Dragon Quest continues to be the most vanilla, "take zero risks" JRPG series on the market.

RCU005

Innovation is good as long as it’s done properly. Hopefully they innovate in areas where needed and improve the experience and not hinder them instead.

TLZ

Banned

It still appeals to a lot of us since it sold more than 5 mil iirc.

I don't understand the need to change turn based. Just look at the result and you'll know a lot of people like it. Also, look at Yakuza like a dragon. Turn based and still people enjoyed it.

Turn based doesn't mean bad. It has its audience. A lot of them.

You want a DQ action RPG, make a spin off. Like Yakuza did Judgment for example. This need to change and butcher something, I'll never get.

It still appeals to a lot of us since it sold more than 5 mil iirc.

I don't understand the need to change turn based. Just look at the result and you'll know a lot of people like it. Also, look at Yakuza like a dragon. Turn based and still people enjoyed it.

Turn based doesn't mean bad. It has its audience. A lot of them.

You want a DQ action RPG, make a spin off. Like Yakuza did Judgment for example. This need to change and butcher something, I'll never get.
Yes, it's exactly what I think as well. If they wanted that much change, they could make a new, different game. And leave Dragon Quest as it is, giving it the usual spins of its formula while also keeping its high quality. I agree wholeheartedly.

Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom