• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition demo is out now on PS4/XB1/PC

Bullet Club

Enjoy the beginning of the game in 3D for up to 10 hours of content! The free DRAGON QUEST XI S Demo is available to download right now on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows 10 and PC (Steam).

Download now: https://sqex.link/5jfr
Join a young hero as he takes his first steps towards becoming the Luminary, a legendary hero destined to save Erdrea — and then carry over your progress into the full game.

DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition is coming on PlayStation 4, Xbox One as an Xbox Play Anywhere title, Windows 10, PC (Steam) and Epic Games Store on December 4, 2020.
The Definitive Edition includes the critically acclaimed DRAGON QUEST XI, plus additional story scenarios, Japanese and English voiceover, 2D mode, orchestral in-game music and more! Whether you are a long-time fan or a new adventurer, this is the ultimate DQXI experience.

Pejo

I hate myself for supporting this, but I'm gonna get it on PC for the extra content and 2D mode. It really should have been a DLC or expansion or something. When I heard about this releasing on Switch, I stopped my PC playthrough, I think, about halfway through the game.

I'll try out the demo, I'm just hoping since this is a Switch port that the graphics aren't significantly downgraded over the existing version.

The game itself is awesome and really scratched the itch for a good old fashioned turn based JRPG with a shitload of story and content.

Anyone try the PC demo? Any comments on image quality or graphics options?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Great game.

Shame that this wasn't a DLC for PS4/PC. Switch graphics weren't as good as the original release as well so kind of odd that the newer version will be worse off graphically. Not a huge deal for this type game though. Regardless a must play title for this gen.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Getting this... again. Gonna be interesting to see how shitty the PS4 graphics are since it’s a Switch port.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Just looked on the UK PS4 store and no demo available yet, perhaps in a few minutes. Amusingly the Definitive Edition can be pre-ordered for £35 yet the original game is still £45, typical digital pricing.

Utterly bizarre that they couldn't substitute the higher-polygon PS4 models & textures into the definitive edition.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh looks like it’s not up in EU PSN. I love how the tweet doesn’t state any regions so you’d THINK it was worldwide.

Eat a fucking dick Enix, cock mongrels.

Yoshichan

Can’t find it in NA PSN either.

This company fucking sucks massive ass, and like the tool I am, I’m going to buy their fucking toast machine because they were lucky with one fucking game that I like. gj $$$ony.

Isa

Gold Member
I too am a bit bummed its not a DLC expansion and doesn't include the higher res content from the PS4/PC version, but I still caved anyway. Not gonna try the demo so close to PS5 launch, I plan on getting heavily into the launch titles first, then slowly working into my backlog. Still crazy to see this on Xbox. Well done. Late as fuck, but better late than never. Think I'll do Yakuza before this.

Reactions: TLZ

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wish the extras had come to PS4 as DLC. Love the game, but not enough to buy it and play it twice. Good news for those who haven't played it yet, though.

Reactions: TLZ

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So what's the deal with this, are console all versions ports of the Switch version or something, and worse than the PS4 standard game?

JimboJones

So what's the deal with this, are console all versions ports of the Switch version or something, and worse than the PS4 standard game?
PS4 and PC version originally released

Switch S version released later

PS4/PC owners begged for S version

SquareEnix gave them their wish in the most evil genie way possible by rereleasing the Switch version of the game as a whole new game, not a DLC.

Still if your an Xbox only fan at least it's available now, it's a great game.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm wondering if stuff like model/texture swaps will be possible once this releases, with the files from the base game. I doubt they bothered to recode the game from scratch for switch, so maybe there's a hope it'll just be drag and drop with some folders? (ha, not likely though).

images

I should rebuy this game, probably.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Switch version has a lot more than other versions. You can see your whole party on the field as well.

This is the version to get if you haven’t played the gane

Switch version has a lot more than other versions. You can see your whole party on the field as well.

This is the version to get if you haven’t played the gane

Yup - it's the version I've been waiting for. Just to get the JP voices alone was enough for me to wait, but all the other stuff makes it even more worthwhile.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
PS4 and PC version originally released

Switch S version released later

PS4/PC owners begged for S version

SquareEnix gave them their wish in the most evil genie way possible by rereleasing the Switch version of the game as a whole new game, not a DLC.

Still if your an Xbox only fan at least it's available now, it's a great game.
I lean more towards PlayStation, but it's coming to Gamepass so might try it there. Thanks for the rundown 👍

vkbest

Just played the demo, Switch graphics, but 60 FPS on PS4 Pro in a Full HD tv.

Edit: with system downsampling active is 60fps too.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I still don't understand why the extra content wasn't / isn't released as DLC on PS4 for people who already bought the game. I just want to try the 2D part.

And it's day-in-date on Game Pass, so effectively free.

I have the OG version on Steam, but I'll still try this one out
Oh? Then I'll just play the 2D version there. Sorted.

Last edited:

Deanington

Ughh am I missing something? Does the original pc version have better textures because this looks way better then my Switch version, or is it because of the higher resolution/settings? Ahh damn I cant upload my ss. Anyways, it looks really damn good to me compared to the Switch version ( 4k everything maxed ). EDIT: Ok never mind, I would assume textures are better on the original pc/consoles because they are not very good on the demo. The res makes the game look really nice though.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I find it funny people a complaining that this should be DLC for non Switch version. I don't know how that would be possible, Switch version is totally different version. I'm still surprised it's going multiplat but anyways everyone enjoy it, if they don't have the other version yet.

RNG

Never played this series before so I tried out the demo. What's with the voice acting? Crikey! uncapped fps on PC.

Fbh

Will download to check it out.
Also curious to see if anyone will make some graphical comparisons with the OG version

Yep.
Basically the Switch version was more than just a basic port and was sort of custom made for the Switch. So it's easier for Square to just port that whole version to PC/PS4/XBX than going back and adding the additional content to the original version of the game. The problem is the Switch version had some worse textures, reduced foliage, worse draw distances, less LOD etc and it's expected that some of that stuff will carry over and make it visually inferior to the original Ps4/PC release.

Sadly it means the game won't have an actual "definitive edition".
You'll have one version with more content and one version with nicer graphics.

Last edited:

Pejo

I stopped playing games with English dub. Was disappointed that DQ11 on PS4 didn't have voices. That coupled with the frankly insulting soundtrack really soured me on this game.
Yea the original soundtrack was ass. I get that purists probably like it, but one of the first mods I did on PC was the orchestral soundtrack mod.

Same ol G

Also curious to see if anyone will make some graphical comparisons with the OG version

Yep.
Basically the Switch version was more than just a basic port and was sort of custom made for the Switch. So it's easier for Square to just port that whole version to PC/PS4/XBX than going back and adding the additional content to the original version of the game. The problem is the Switch version had some worse textures, reduced foliage, worse draw distances, less LOD etc and it's expected that some of that stuff will carry over and make it visually inferior to the original Ps4/PC release.

You make it sound like more content is just a extra dungeon.
- Character specific story lines
- Complete game playable in 2D
- Orchestal music
- The world of Tinckington
- Party members are now viewable in the overworld
- Cutscenes are immediately skippable
- The addition of cosmetic only outfits
- The Horse Hailer item allows you summon your horse when away from bell posts
- Quick Commands menu has been added to easily access commonly used features
- Harvested materials are placed into inventory instead of dropping on the ground
- Defeating monsters using a mount grants experience
- The ability to switch camera styles during battle (Classic or Free Movement)
- Party member dialog appears in speech bubbles during combat
- Interact with party members via the ‘-‘ button
- New costumes
- No first-person camera
- New marriage options
- More rideable monsters
- Draconian Quest options have been expanded
- Battle speed selector
- Fun size forge can be used everywhere
- DQ VIII Soundtrack
- Photo mode
- Japanese voiceover

I ripped this list from a website but it's a lot more than just some extra content and i'm more than willing to sacrifice some graphics to play the definitive edition.

Last edited:

Fbh

You make it sound like more content is just a extra dungeon.
- Character specific story lines
- Complete game playable in 2D
- Orchestal music
- The world of Tinckington
- Party members are now viewable in the overworld
- Cutscenes are immediately skippable
- The addition of cosmetic only outfits
- The Horse Hailer item allows you summon your horse when away from bell posts
- Quick Commands menu has been added to easily access commonly used features
- Harvested materials are placed into inventory instead of dropping on the ground
- Defeating monsters using a mount grants experience
- The ability to switch camera styles during battle (Classic or Free Movement)
- Party member dialog appears in speech bubbles during combat
- Interact with party members via the ‘-‘ button
- New costumes
- No first-person camera
- New marriage options
- More rideable monsters
- Draconian Quest options have been expanded
- Battle speed selector
- Fun size forge can be used everywhere
- DQ VIII Soundtrack
- Photo mode
- Japanese voiceover

I ripped this list from a website but it's a lot more than just some extra content and i'm more than willing to sacrifice some graphics to play the definitive edition.

And yet it has worse visuals so almost by definition it isn't a true definitive edition.

Its the superior version for sure and the one people who haven't played it should probably pick up (if you have Gamepass it's even more of a no brainer). But it's still a shame this game won't have a true definitive edition that brings together the best possible visuals with the most amount of content and QoL improvements.

Also half that list sounds like stuff other comparable games would just include through free updates instead of having you buy a whole new version of the game. (Look at, say, the free definitive edition upgrade to Original Sin 1 and 2)

Last edited:

Same ol G

And yet it has worse visuals so almost by definition it isn't a true definitive edition.

Its the superior version for sure and the one people who haven't played it should probably pick up (if you have Gamepass it's even more of a no brainer). But it's still a shame this game won't have a true definitive edition that brings together the best possible visuals with the most amount of content and QoL improvements.

Also half that list sounds like stuff other comparable games would just include through free updates instead of having you buy a whole new version of the game. (Look at, say, the free definitive edition upgrade to Original Sin 1 and 2)
as i said i'll gladly sacrifice some graphics for the amount of content we got but i understand some won't like it.
As you said some stuff would have been a patch in other games but it seemigly was easier and more profitable to just port the whole game.

RNG

What are the chances that modders could port the visuals over from the original to this one on PC?

Njocky

Banned
When does it hit game pass? I hate turn based but I'll be forced to give it a go at least on xcloud.

Last edited:

Inxes

Yep.

The definitive version its the OG + Orchestral Overhaul Mod. Only thing Ill miss is the extra story

I stopped playing games with English dub. Was disappointed that DQ11 on PS4 didn't have voices. That coupled with the frankly insulting soundtrack really soured me on this game.
DQ 11 did have english voices I remember hearing them during cutscenes. Unless you mean japanese voice over. I don't know if it had japanese on the usa version.

Last edited:
Wait.

They are selling it as a full/separate game even to owners of the Steam release (such as me).

And on top of that it is a Switch port?!

What...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
DQ 11 did have english voices I remember hearing them during cutscenes. Unless you mean japanese voice over. I don't know if it had japanese on the usa version.
When the game originally came out it has no voice for JP release but it had english voice for western release. DQXIS for Switch is game is the one that had Japanese voices.

Top Bottom