• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition coming to Xbox One, PC on December 4

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Bought the original for ps4 and enjoyed every moment. I always had a inch that SE would release the better version for it someday, so I waited before replaying it.

Really excited for this!

Holammer

Never got around to playing the PC version, tried it for almost 2 hours and got distracted by some F2P game like Warframe.
Hope it's a free upgrade so I can give it a proper go.

Currently, the game has its own Steam page (separate from the previous release) with a price ($39.99) that matches its entry on the Windows Store. Maybe Square Enix will surprise people, but this will probably be treated as a distinct game and not an update (let alone free) to the existing PC & PS4 release.

Last edited:

Belmonte

I'm glad I decided to finish the Erdrick trilogy before playing DQXI! Now I will go straight away for the S Edition.

I'm in the beginning of DQII, so I have time yet.

Hudo

Awesome that everyone gets to play it! I can really recommend the game! JRPG of the generation for me. And it is quite the difference with actual orchestral music and not that synthesized shit (The main reason why I waited for the Switch release back then).

LordCBH

8zskVJJ.png

Oh piss off Square. It’s a great game but I’m not rebuying it on pc when I already own it.

This could eventually be a pretty interesting release for a shop like Digital Foundry to analyze. I still can't get the game's site to load, but going by the below image making the rounds, this release is a port of the Switch version.

1sYDuAU.png

::: edit :::
The above image can be found on the Japanese website in the FAQ section, which has an English option (link).

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
8zskVJJ.png

Oh piss off Square. It’s a great game but I’m not rebuying it on pc when I already own it.

Seems pretty stupid and greedy tbh.

Well, their loss. No way I'm gonna buy another one for full price. Games in here are too expansive. What a jerk move.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
This could eventually be a pretty interesting release for a shop like Digital Foundry to analyze. I still can't get the game's site to load, but going by the below image making the rounds, this release is a port of the Switch version.

1sYDuAU.png

Get fucked square, at least give us 60 fps if you're going to trash the fidelity.

Maybe they'll add Japanese language support to the Western releases this time around.

Ah, who am I kidding. I know they won't.

MagnesG

Banned
Thank god now whining PS4 owners can shut the fuck up about them being ripped off by DQXI S being exclusive to Switch, when they had the game first.

Last edited:

Shouta

Somebody wants to waste their time and tell me if this is better than Ni No Kuni 2? And why?

This game is infinitely better than Ni No Kuni 2. Better gameplay, better story, better pretty much everything, especially the S version. The only place NNK2 might edge DQXI out is in graphics but if you like turn-based RPGs or have enjoyed Dragon Quest games in the past, this game is not to be missed.

If you haven't played this game before, S version is definitely the one to get unless you're absolutely in need of the best version of the graphics. It sounds like they're basing this off the Switch conversion which has some downgrades but the additional content, music, Japanese voice-acting, and 2D mode are very much worthwhile. The 2D mode is especially nice if you're looking to enjoy it in a nostalgic style.

rapid32.5

Amazing get for GamePass, I'm impressed. Will put a hold on playing my PS4 backlog version.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

There are many who said this day would never come...
One of the biggest news stories of the day.
The more exposure the series gets - the better.
I could see more of the older DQ games going to xbox too eventually - just like the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series.

brap

Banned

1sYDuAU.png

The above image can be found on the Japanese website in the FAQ section, which has an English option (link).
I was gonna get this but nope. What a shitty fucking excuse.

Belmonte

What?! I can't believe they would make this only a port, with the same graphics as the Switch for PC and PS4. It would make a very poor impression, at least for westerns. The Steam reviews would be horrible.

McCarth

1sYDuAU.png

Lol, SE is a special, special company. No thanks guys.

Paracelsus

The logic is flabbergasting. If they knew they were gonna port it a year later why make the development for the new content based on the platform that is one gen behind?
Imagine if they ported DQVIII to PC and it's the 3DS version.

Last edited:
The fuck is this shit...?

At least release the Japanese VOs and the new OST to the old version. Doing it like this is beyond stupid.

Fbh

1sYDuAU.png

Haha lol. So it's an upres of a visual downgrade.

Man I give up. At this point I'll probably just wait until the original PS4 release is dirt cheap and I'll get that one. (Or the original steam version if they don't discontinue it, I think there's a mod for orchestral music)

Last edited:
This game is infinitely better than Ni No Kuni 2. Better gameplay, better story, better pretty much everything, especially the S version. The only place NNK2 might edge DQXI out is in graphics but if you like turn-based RPGs or have enjoyed Dragon Quest games in the past, this game is not to be missed.

If you haven't played this game before, S version is definitely the one to get unless you're absolutely in need of the best version of the graphics. It sounds like they're basing this off the Switch conversion which has some downgrades but the additional content, music, Japanese voice-acting, and 2D mode are very much worthwhile. The 2D mode is especially nice if you're looking to enjoy it in a nostalgic style.
I loved 7. I havent played any other. Damn I picked the wrong game when they were both on sale. Ill pick it up for PS5.

Top Bottom