• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Producer: It’s Nearly Impossible to Get Characters in Smash Bros. Ultimate

Mista

Banned
Dragon-Quest-Hero-Super-Smash-Bros-Ultimate.png

In a recent interview with Nintendo Dream magazine, Dragon Quest XI Producer Hokuto Okamoto made some interesting comments pertaining to the inclusion of Hero and the Dragon Quest IP in general in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

According to Okamoto
“I was quite surprised when I first heard about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It’s nearly impossible for Dragon Quest characters to appear in other companies’ games. We discussed many ideas, including what we’re doing with DQXI S, such as making each color a hero of past games. Mr. Sakurai accepted both Nintendo’s direction as well as Square Enix branding, and then got on board. It was a very exciting experience.”

The other two interview participants, director Takeshi Uchikawa and development director Masato Yagi, also made their own comments in reference to the work that went into the inclusion. Uchikawa stated that “In fact, we received a special request for feedback. I quickly reviewed the material, but personally was impressed with the map being very dynamic. I was impressed at the scale of everything. It fully incorporated various series staples, such as the command selection.”

Yagi added on to that with the following: “The things people are doing with Hero is impressive. I’ve considered how to turn a Dragon Quest battle into an action game, but I think this was an amazing opportunity.”

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wasn't DQIX on DS gonna be an action RPG until they caved to backlash or something like that? Or was it all bs? If it was true then it's obvious he's considered it as said here.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dragon Quest games have a long history of appearing on Nintendo platforms so it wouldn't really come as a surprise to see a hero protagonist appear in Super Smash Bros.
It already happened that's what they're discussing, lol.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I feel like lots of companies are taking notes from Smash.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new Banjo Kazooie shows up with the character controlling very similarly to smash.

Top Bottom