• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age shipments and digital sales top 5.5 million

Fbh

You should rather get a Switch, then...

I have a Switch.

But the nice visuals were one of the things that made me interested in this despite never being a DQ fan so I'd rather play the nicer and sharper looking PC/PS4 version than the blurry Switch one.
I also rarely play on the go so the whole portability aspect isn't really a bonus for me. But I still want the orchestral soundtrack, japanese voices and quality of life improvements of the switch port.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
And Wagner was an antisemite. Is the New York Philharmonic antisemitic for playing the Rienzi Overture?
Or does that make him a bad composer? It's so silly how some people look down upon the work of an artist just because they are not in line with their own political beliefs.

I have a Switch.

But the nice visuals were one of the things that made me interested in this despite never being a DQ fan so I'd rather play the nicer and sharper looking PC/PS4 version than the blurry Switch one.
I also rarely play on the go so the whole portability aspect isn't really a bonus for me. But I still want the orchestral soundtrack, japanese voices and quality of life improvements of the switch port.

I think you're giving it a bit more thought than you should. Just get the game on whatever platform you feel more comfortable to play and enjoy the game. :) Btw the PS4 version is 100% complete.Whatever extras they added for the Switch don't make the PS4 version incomplete.

Last edited:

Fbh

I think you're giving it a bit more thought than you should. Just get the game on whatever platform you feel more comfortable to play and enjoy the game. :) Btw the PS4 version is 100% complete.Whatever extras they added for the Switch don't make the PS4 version incomplete.

I guess.
Though at this point I'm at the stage where I've waited long enough that I don't mind waiting some more.

RPGCrazied

Deserved. Great game. Played it on PS4, got the switch version and am halfway through, other games took attention away.

I'm just hoping we don't have to wait too long for XII as long as we did for XI.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm having a hard time getting into this game. Seems like a very slow start. Does it pick up at all?

sublimit

Banned
I'm having a hard time getting into this game. Seems like a very slow start. Does it pick up at all?
All the DQ games i have played started kinda slow but it really depends what you mean by that.Are you talking about story,combat or exploration?

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
All the DQ games i have played started kinda slow but it really depends what you mean by that.Are you talking about story,combat or exploration?
Combat and Exploration. I feel like combat is so easy I am just pressing buttons, and the world is not as open as I had hoped.

To be fair, the last DQ I played was 4.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Combat and Exploration. I feel like combat is so easy I am just pressing buttons, and the world is not as open as I had hoped.
The combat in general leans more on the easier side with a few difficulty spikes here and there .But in the later parts of the game and especially in post game (which is basically still the main game) the combat definitely feels more challenging unless you grind. The world is not true open world but it is quite open with lots of cleverly hidden stuff and i liked that you could explore different areas based on your mounts.

Fantastic news! It really is one of the stronger entries in the series and it deserves the praise/sales it has got. I really need to pick up the Switch version at some point though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah we should boycott the whole game and screw over the countless individuals who worked on it because we don't agree with the music composer, makes total sense.
If he was a Holocaust denier we would! But alas the worst thing out of all things was how the Ps4 owners got shafted by Squeenix.

Malakhov

Banned
If he was a Holocaust denier we would! But alas the worst thing out of all things was how the Ps4 owners got shafted by Squeenix.
I can't complain since I'm playing the switch version but I understand the frustration. The extra content and quality of life additions are great, Id have a hard time not being able to forge and buy missing ingredients on the fly and that's just a minor thing.

Sakura

There is no way shipment in Japan is more than 50k units over the sales.

Shipment for west is over 1.5m imo.
1m is extremely unlikely.

4.0m shipment to Japan/Asia
1.5m shipment to west
Only 50k more than sales would mean a sell through rate of like 99%, which is very unlikely. Any store selling video games here is going to have copies of DQXI on the shelf, and there are thousands of stores.
Digital sales as well will likely be 10 to 15% of retail sales, which would put us at 3.85 to just over 4 million from retail+digital alone, not including shipped copies. I think the west being at 1.5m+ is extremely unlikely, especially if you want to lump Asia in with Japan.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Only 50k more than sales would mean a sell through rate of like 99%, which is very unlikely. Any store selling video games here is going to have copies of DQXI on the shelf, and there are thousands of stores.
Digital sales as well will likely be 10 to 15% of retail sales, which would put us at 3.85 to just over 4 million from retail+digital alone, not including shipped copies. I think the west being at 1.5m+ is extremely unlikely, especially if you want to lump Asia in with Japan.
Didn't this game sell like crap? Not VC sales but close?

Erdrick

Absolutely well-deserved.

I'm on my second play through (First was on the PS4 in the fall of 2018.) on my Switch that I bought just for this. The S version is absolutely the one to own, if only to hear the wonderful music properly this time instead of that synth that was in the original console releases.

I'm always nervous when it comes to DQ sales outside of Japan as they have tended to be awful and thus some games have had difficulty reaching English speakers outside of Japan. Thankfully, this seems to have done decently enough.

I'm eagerly looking forward to 12 whenever it hits within the next 5 years or so.

JayK47

Glad to see the game sold well.

Finished this game. Well maybe not. I guess there is another game in there after the credits. Too bad I am bored of the game and do not care to grind my way to get the "good ending". To be honest, I was never a huge Dragon Quest fan. I have played some of them that made it to consoles. I think the last one I played was VIII which I did enjoy at the time. The Pep attacks were weak and side quests were pretty bad. The main character is very generic and looks like a wimp. But he was dealing the most damage by the end of the game.

I guess I do not get the style of the Dragon Quest series. I love the Atelier, Tales, and Trails games, and even most Final Fantasy games. It does not help that these days I do not have time for so many 50+ hour games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope DQ XII gets a release on PS5. I bought XI a few months ago, my first game in the series, and I loved it
It will....
552efb0575ca5025d14ec27e4e7825cf.jpg

The question is when.

Andyliini

And then there's me, I haven't even played DQXI yet. Last year was so packed with games, I still have this and Fire Emblem: Three Houses completely untouched. Maybe I have more time in the future...

I wish it was 15M, not 5. My first DQ game and absolutely loved it. Took me 2 months to finish everything there is to finish and if you’re playing with stronger enemies this game is a dream. While West is consumed with dark and gritty atmosphere in their games, this one comes as a welcome respite from all that. I just want next one ASAP.

Fake

Dragon Quest XI S is one of my favourite JRPGs this gen. And man, the orchestrated music makes all the difference for me.

Can't wait for DQXII or that rumored DQ IX remake.

Any hope for the S version coming for PS4 and I'll be glad to support them again.

Hudo

Any hope for the S version coming for PS4 and I'll be glad to support them again.
Don't know whether they'll do an update or port the S version to PS4 but if you have DQ11 on PC, there's a mod which brings the orchestral score to the PC version afaik.

Deserved.

In November 7, 2018 the shipment was 4 million... two months after the west release (September 8, 2018).

So we can say at least 1.5m of these shipments were to western.
That is pretty good.
I'm not sure you can say that, because the Switch edition has launched in Japan only in september 2019, and I think it sold around 500000 copies. The 3ds version has sold around 1800000 copies and the Ps4 over 1300000, leaving maybe 900000 copies for the western market + steam

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Got pretty far on my PS4 copy and eventually put it down.

Playing through the Switch 2D mode right now and I love how much faster grinding and everything else is. For instance, you can get from one end of town to another in what feels like less than half the time of the 3D version.

Combat is so, so quick without all the superfluous animations too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom