• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age shipments and digital sales top 5.5 million

Mista

Banned
DQ11-Sales_12-18-19.jpg

Total worldwide shipments and digital sales for Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age and Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition have surpassed 5.5 million units, Square Enix announced

Dragon Quest series creator and game designer Yuji Horii
I strongly believe that this figure has only been achieved thanks to our fans who have always loved the Dragon Quest series and also the new players who discovered Dragon Quest or JRPGs through this title. If I could ever go back in time to meet myself when I was still making the very first Dragon Quest, I would love to tell him, ‘In 30 years’ time, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age has been released and loved by international fans beyond seas and languages.’ I will carry on doing my very best to deliver further Dragon Quest titles to our fans worldwide. Thank you very much to all the fans who have enjoyed the title!”
Gematsu

Eimran

I've been waiting a decade for the return of the beloved franchise to Playstation.

I platted the game and enjoyed every minute of it. It is a worthy succesor the DQ VIII and can only hope that these sales stimulatie SE to continue making Dragon Quest games for Playstation

Impotaku

Totally deserved, 11 blew me away on so many levels the characters, the enviroments, the monster animations and the story were all fantastic. Plus the english voice acting was really well done (for the most part)

Plus Sylvando, oh man his dialogue alone is so fun. Kind, funny, brave & strong he made the several hundred hours playtime a pleasure to do.

Hozzicus

Neo Member
Awesome news! Along with Persona 5, this was one of the best JRPGs of this generation. It definitely has deserved the success it received.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I have not paid any attention to the Dragon Quest franchise since the very first one, but as I am in Tokyo, like the sucker tourist I am, I visited the Square Enix cafe a few days ago, which had wall to wall ads for this game. I cannot believe how beautiful it is. Anyhow, the cafe had DQ themed food, so I got the cheapest one, which was a whipped cream and strawberry sandwich. It did not look like any character I have ever seen in the game, but it was the cheapest thing there. Good, but crazy expensive.

Reactions: TLZ

sublimit

Banned
Persona 5 did it. I just hope for the best.
Persona 5 was heard but i don't think it made any significant impact to the Western mainstream gamers who like games like Destiny,GTA,The Last of Us,Halo,Gears of War,Assassin's Creed,God of War etc. Sure some of those people aknowledged its existence just to pretend they are "in the know" then continued playing whatever "serious" cinematic and photorealistic game they were playing.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
This game is fantastic and its more than deserved. Glad to know people have such fine taste.

All the hope for a future with games like that. And I hope they reconsider make Dragon Quest Monster Joker for big consoles as well.

Last edited:

mejin

Well over 1.5m in west is not that niche anymore but of course it is not close to what it sells in Japan + Asia.

1.5M? Hmm, I think I read Benji saying it was around a million.

Persona 5 was heard but i don't think it made any significant impact to the Western mainstream gamers who like games like Destiny,GTA,The Last of Us,Halo,Gears of War,Assassin's Creed,God of War etc. Sure some of those people aknowledged its existence just to pretend they are "in the know" then continued playing whatever "serious" cinematic and photorealistic game they were playing.

I think western sales surpassed 2M and we still have Royal to come. No doubt it will never achieve the same status as big AAA western titles, but not niche anymore.

ethomaz

Banned
1.5M? Hmm, I think I read Benji saying it was around a million.
4m included 2 months of western (PS4/PC) shipment already.

it is 5.5m now with Switch shipment.
So the better I can guess it is western over 1.5m because Switch version shipment in Japan was not that fired up.

How much over? I don’t know.

Last edited:

mejin

4m included 2 months of western (PS4/PC) shipment already.

it is 5.5m now with Switch shipment.
So the better I can guess it is western over 1.5m because Switch version shipment in Japan was not that fired up.

How much over? I don’t know.

here

I always considered him as a good source of sales infos. Anyway, as long as SE is happy I'm fine.

Man I want this game so bad on PC but I swear it never goes on sale below $53. I played the demo on the switch and loved it, PS4 was on sale recently but I have heard the PC version is much better performance wise.

ethomaz

Banned
here

I always considered him as a good source of sales infos. Anyway, as long as SE is happy I'm fine.

First 1m outside Japan is just bullshit because we have Japan sales and it is nowhere close to 4.5m.... even if include Asia it is around 4K max.

Second I never through Benji, a BestBuy worker, as reliable source.
He left ERA because his insights of NPD were wrong and he didn’t accept being wrong and people asking him about that.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Man I want this game so bad on PC but I swear it never goes on sale below $53. I played the demo on the switch and loved it, PS4 was on sale recently but I have heard the PC version is much better performance wise.
Good news then since it's 50% off on Steam. Hope you have 100 hours of free time.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind picking this up for PS4, but I'm kind of opposed to SE adding a whole lot of new features for one version (Switch) while leaving the other.

DonF

enough to warrant a port with most of the new switch content to pc and ps4...right ??
sgkw72lg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Good news then since it's 50% off on Steam. Hope you have 100 hours of free time.

Im about to go on a week staycation. Problem is I have a family and a backlog already. But I like to collect games to play later but honestly after I am down with Yakuza Kiwami I may fast track Dragon Quest in right after.

sublimit

Banned
Im about to go on a week staycation. Problem is I have a family and a backlog already. But I like to collect games to play later but honestly after I am down with Yakuza Kiwami I may fast track Dragon Quest in right after.
I'd advise you not to rush through it. This is one of those games that in order to really experience it you need to take your time with it.

Last edited:

Sakura

First 1m outside Japan is just bullshit because we have Japan sales and it is nowhere close to 4.5m.... even if include Asia it is around 4K max.

Second I never through Benji, a BestBuy worker, as reliable source.
He left ERA because his insights of NPD were wrong and he didn’t accept being wrong and people asking him about that.
Japan sales of DQXI combined (Switch, PS4, 3DS) should be about 3.5 million. That is retail sales to consumers. Not shipments, and not digital. The 5.5 million figure in the OP is talking shipments+digital, so in order for ship+digital in the west to be over 1.5m, digital sales+shipped copies in Japan that have not sold to consumers would have to be <500k, which seems extremely unlikely.

ethomaz

Banned
Japan sales of DQXI combined (Switch, PS4, 3DS) should be about 3.5 million. That is retail sales to consumers. Not shipments, and not digital. The 5.5 million figure in the OP is talking shipments+digital, so in order for ship+digital in the west to be over 1.5m, digital sales+shipped copies in Japan that have not sold to consumers would have to be <500k, which seems extremely unlikely.
There is no way shipment in Japan is more than 50k units over the sales.

Shipment for west is over 1.5m imo.
1m is extremely unlikely.

4.0m shipment to Japan/Asia
1.5m shipment to west

Last edited:

I'd advise you not to rush through it. This is one of those games that in order to really experience it you need to take your time with it.

I just mean moving it ahead of my backlog. I’ll slowly move through the game itself.

I guess my only concern is I just read that with the new switch edition other content is now missing from the previous versions. Makes me wonder if they are going to re release it later.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. It's a good game. I put in like 20 hours on PS4 at the Japanese launch, but dropped it for one reason or another. The lack of voice acting in the cinematic cutscenes bothered me more than it probably should have.

Thankfully this was rectified in the Switch version, so I'll probably pick it up in the next month or so and finally play through the whole thing.

The music is fine to me. It just isn't as good as past OSTs such as DQVIII.

Honestly, it was a missed opportunity to not reuse most of the re-orchestrated soundtracks from DQVIII. So far, I've only encountered "Chatting".

Or it might be because the composer is a Nanjing (sp?) massacre denying pos.

Blond

Banned
Epic. All of it. #DQXI is a terrific finale that is just stuffed with so much of everything. Action, adventure — answers!! — humor, heart, love, and grit. I spent the entire second half with tears in my eyes - a wonderful way to end the Hero's story.

Was this announced as the final Dragon Quest at some point?

Top Bottom