• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Countdown Carnival Special Stage live stream set for May 27

orioto

Good Art™
I was watching a gameplay video the other day and they mentioned that the 3DS version doesn't have jumping, so hidden items are reached in different ways, e.g. by walking across ropes. So between the 3DS and PS4 versions, the map layouts are probably quite different.

That said, the 2D and 3D versions on 3DS already have somewhat different map layouts, and you can only switch between them at a church. From the little I've seen, I'd guess that it probably would also be possible to mix and match the 2D and PS4 versions too if they really wanted to.

(Perhaps there are other gameplay systems that differ between the two, though?)

That would make sense, cause, as charming as can be the 3ds version, i really think it would be a baaaaad message to send that Switch can only afford the 3ds remaster of the game.

That would make sense, cause, as charming as can be the 3ds version, i really think it would be a baaaaad message to send that Switch can only afford the 3ds remaster of the game.

Yeah, I don't think that would make a lot of sense. Given DQ Heroes I & II being ported to Switch, I'd guess they would just port the PS4 version to be honest...

ethomaz

Banned
From the interview:

Dragon Quest XI began development just a little over 2 years ago in 2015. Development was originally just the PS4 version, but because they wanted the series to get in as many hands as possible they began developing a 3DS version. They didn't want people playing the 3DS version to feel that they were playing an inferior version, so one of the staff on the project had the idea of having a 3D and 2D mode and got the ok.

They are happy with the PS4 version graphics and the realism it provides which they think goes well with Toriyama's style, but feel if they made it anymore realistic it would lose its DQ-ness.
Ohhhh that just prove the PS4 version was created for Japan since beginning and not a late choice to west lol

Said that please SE ports this game this year to west.

Philippo

You can control the companions in combat, right?

I didn't see it in the PS4 gameplay section.

Yes, in the "tactics" menu (both in combat and outside) you can set the AI to either act by themselves, or choose the commands personally. I believe they tried it in the previous release date announcement stream.

Battle camera mode + manual command select = DQVIII combat.

Yes, in the "tactics" menu (both in combat and outside) you can set the AI to either act by themselves, or choose the commands personally. I believe they tried it in the previous release date announcement stream.

Battle camera mode + manual command select = DQVIII combat.

Whew. Thanks for the reply!

Game looks great!

Kanann

Today pictures

DAzIo1vVYAAmkYZ.jpg

DAz7Gw0UwAEZOJP.jpg

DAzGwA2UQAACzjl.jpg

Director Uchida (nickname - Ucchi) was there too but no place for him in public yet LOL

DAzLEMOVYAAkcva.jpg

Fiendcode

Is there is a big gameplay difference between the 3ds (3d) version and the PS4 ?

What if the switch version is the PS4 version + the 2d version of the game ? Wouldn't that make sense ? But maybe they are different in scale i don't know.
Since it's coming later they should just cram in all 3 versions for a Definitive Edition release of Switch. I also wonder if they'll add new story content?

GunBR

From the interview:

Dragon Quest XI began development just a little over 2 years ago in 2015. Development was originally just the PS4 version, but because they wanted the series to get in as many hands as possible they began developing a 3DS version. They didn't want people playing the 3DS version to feel that they were playing an inferior version, so one of the staff on the project had the idea of having a 3D and 2D mode and got the ok.

They are happy with the PS4 version graphics and the realism it provides which they think goes well with Toriyama's style, but feel if they made it anymore realistic it would lose its DQ-ness.
It's incredible how they made the game in just 2 years
So bad that the rest of SE don't work like Horii and his team

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's incredible how they made the game in just 2 years
So bad that the rest of SE don't work like Horii and his team

Thats what happens when you do the whole pre-production first and announce the game after everything is already set in place. Issue with SE other big IPs like FF they get announced as soon as they have the first CGI trailer.

EDarkness

Since it's coming later they should just cram in all 3 versions for a Definitive Edition release of Switch. I also wonder if they'll add new story content?

They'll need to do something in order to sweeten up that version, because the same game with nothing extra will probably not do well. I guess we'll see.

Today pictures

(Pics)

Director Uchida (nickname - Ucchi) was there too but no place for him in public yet LOL

Thanks for the pics. It would have been awesome to be there in person. Lots of people there, too.

Sad part is if the 3DS version was on actual PS4 with HD pixels on big screen, I'd probably pick that over the next gen version.
The retro factor is just too good.

Top Bottom