• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X Offline debut gameplay

clem84

Gold Member
As part of a new episode of the PlayStation Japan “Play! Play! Play!” broadcast, Square Enix and B.B. Studio released the very first gameplay of Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline today. Although we did see a new trailer earlier in the month, this is a proper look at pure footage.

Trailer starts at 3:49

Not really sold on the graphics. It looks interesting. Big fan of the franchise here so I'll definitely play this.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I can dig it. The art design of Dragon Quest looks a little weird when chibi'd up, but at the same time it feels fitting.

demonstr8

It's only an opinion but I think they want to give us a classic and obviously chibi Dragon Quest in the vein of the classics before the series is reinvented with XII. People will have the fan favorite of DQ3 in 2D-HD and one more traditional style game on the form of this one. I have a feeling that XII is going to change quite a few things. We already know it's going to have a new composer. Anyway, I hope this comes to the West but if not I will be importing it for PS5 and I haven't imported a game since Demon Souls on PS3.

Ma-Yuan

I would love a ffxi offline version hopefully this does not bomb and paves the way because ffxi story is really good.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I think even Hassan could've put a little more efforts in remaking (demaking given the results) this as a single player title. Not impressed :\

Last edited:

RafterXL

Until I hear of a western release this game might as well not exist, and considering the fact that DQX has been out for years, and has never been released here, I'll just assume this version isn't coming over either.

This is a japan only release...
Sad Pauly D GIF by A Double Shot At Love With DJ Pauly D and Vinny

SSfox

It used to be a game that I fucking wanted and I was so horny to play back then, but Retardenix handle it like in the shittiest way possible. It's too late now to care about such a game, and now we already have Genshin Impact Mr LateEnix.

Last edited:

Labadal

So this is dragon quest 10 offline or is it an expansion for dragon quest 10?
This is a new offline version of Dragon Quest X that will play like traditional games in the series.

It will not contain all story expansions from the online games, but those will be added later on as paid DLC.

My hope is that they are waiting for all content to be released in Japan, and then localize it as a complete edition.

Last edited:

Tazzu

Being on the Wii really hurt this game and the franchise, SE are still trying to salvage it. Almost led to Monster Hunter suffering the same fate.

Metnut

This is 100% coming to US and it’s just a matter of time before an announcement. Would make zero sense for them to do this, and have a PC version, unless planning to being West.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It looks like a DQIX sequel (which it is, lmao), I like it. At the same time it seems kind of pointless to go to such lengths like FFXV Pocket, the game as it is in the online version looks fine too, why not use the same assets and everything? Too low fi for the western crowd? This doesn't really fix that.
i will wait for mobile version (/jk)
the real reason they probably butchered the original content
The original content runs on a Wii, I'm sure most semi modern mobiles/tablets could easily handle it intact.
Being on the Wii really hurt this game and the franchise, SE are still trying to salvage it. Almost led to Monster Hunter suffering the same fate.
Revisionist much? It was always going to be multiplatform and was so less than a year after launch. It's one of the few subscription MMOs that survive, even if it's not the worldwide behemoth that is FFXIV, 9 years on it's still getting updates and content. The Wii version was still getting retail releases in 2015, services were only discontinued in 2017! So, what harm did Wii do (that can't be attributed to the change in genre/going MMO when most people clearly wanted a traditional JRPG, similar to FFXI not selling to all the FF fans, that's the audience this release will try to attract)? Did it stop the next game's success? They didn't have to reinvent the game a la FFXIV to "salvave" anything. And what does Monster Hunter have to do with it (though similarly 3 was a step in turning the franchise mainstream in the West, being the best selling up to that point, and obviously didn't put a dent in the series' then ongoing portable success, while the technical and gameplay advancements were carried forward for the most part - though the 3DS couldn't quite handle everything the Wii could so downgrades did occur at the time - so if anything it ontributed to that ongoing success)?

Last edited:

Impotaku

This is a new offline version of Dragon Quest X that will play like traditional games in the series.

It will not contain all story expansions from the online games, but those will be added later on as paid DLC.

My hope is that they are waiting for all content to be released in Japan, and then localize it as a complete edition.
There's a version that will launch with the cart plus a code to add in some of the dlc content mainly Dragon Quest X Sleeping Hero and the Hero of Guidance Offline. The deluxe version is dammn expensive though as it's 12,000yen and that's retail on amazon not a reseller price.
81BJAN-5W3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The non deluxe version is still pretty expensive at 7000 yen
81LjDOcST8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Tazzu

Revisionist much? It was always going to be multiplatform and was so less than a year after launch. It's one of the few subscription MMOs that survive, even if it's not the worldwide behemoth that is FFXIV, 9 years on it's still getting updates and content. The Wii version was still getting retail releases in 2015, services were only discontinued in 2017! So, what harm did Wii do (that can't be attributed to the change in genre/going MMO when most people clearly wanted a traditional JRPG, similar to FFXI not selling to all the FF fans, that's the audience this release will try to attract)? Did it stop the next game's success? They didn't have to reinvent the game a la FFXIV to "salvave" anything. And what does Monster Hunter have to do with it (though similarly 3 was a step in turning the franchise mainstream in the West, being the best selling up to that point, and obviously didn't put a dent in the series' then ongoing portable success, while the technical and gameplay advancements were carried forward for the most part - though the 3DS couldn't quite handle everything the Wii could so downgrades did occur at the time - so if anything it ontributed to that ongoing success)?
The game came out well after the infamous Wii sales cliff. Ultimately it seems SE really regretted the decision since they kept delaying it and only had to put it out because of Nintendo moneyhatting it. Had it been on the PS3, it would've sold far more and kept the brand relavent until XI launched. Capcom also made the same blunder with their Wii and WiiU entries of Monster Hunter, even the 3DS never reached the heights of the PSP days. World comes out and changes everything.

Last edited:

Shouta

This is a japan only release...

This has potential to come West. It's actually probably in the works. The one that's not coming is the latest expansion to Dragon Quest X Online since the rest of the game hasn't been released yet.

So this is dragon quest 10 offline or is it an expansion for dragon quest 10?

This is DQX Offline which looks to cover the story of the base game. The DLC will cover the 2.0 expansion which is the second major storyline in the game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
We getting a western release of this?

They should do an offline version of final fantasy 11 and eventually 14
If FF14 had an offline version I’d pay $200 for it and never have to buy another game again.

but it won’t because people would complain there’s no co op like idiots.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
this looks drastically different to the Wii original.

blackjon24

This game came out in japan and nobody really seems all that excited? As someone who beat every single dragon quest game I have zero interest in this version thanks to the terrible new art style, such a shame since I waited to play dragon quest x for so many years

Metnut

Not releasing this in the US would be one of the stupidest things in a while. Why even make the game if not planning on a western release?

blackjon24

Not releasing this in the US would be one of the stupidest things in a while. Why even make the game if not planning on a western release?

While I agree games should probably not be japan only since the japanese console market is shrinking but I just don''t see much western hype for this game at all compared to Dragon quest 11

Last edited:

kunonabi

This game came out in japan and nobody really seems all that excited? As someone who beat every single dragon quest game I have zero interest in this version thanks to the terrible new art style, such a shame since I waited to play dragon quest x for so many years
The art style kills it for me. I'd rather just go though all the hoops to play the regular version.

blackjon24

The art style kills it for me. I'd rather just go though all the hoops to play the regular version.
Decided to bite the bullet and got the online version going for the first time. The dragon quest X translation Team (Clarity) has done incredible work. I've been playing 2-3 hours in the game so far in english and its been a blast!

Top Bottom