• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest vs Final Fantasy

Dragon Quest vs Final Fantasy

• Total voters

SantaC

Dragon Quest get's my vote. FF used to be among my favorite franchises but its definitely much lower in my regard this past decade+. And I have played FF14 but I don't get the love for its story. The writing didn't catch my attention and the characters didn't either. The gameplay too just didn't do it for my group so we ditched it.

I like that DQ has been so consistent since its inception, at least in regards to quality. Each game is also unique which is impressive. Plus my gf that loves Jrpgs surprised me with a Puff Puff, nuff said.

*Side Comment, just wanted to say that I appreciate Starcheif's avatar. I loved General Chaos with my friends back in the day. Great game with very fond memories.
Is puff puff massage ?

Fbh

Overall Final Fantasy.

Even as a kid I always preferred the variety of FF with each new franchise sort of going through a re-invention and bringing a new setting and even a new art style. I also always vastly preferred the music in FF.
DQ is a bit monotonous with almost every entry taking place in a similar medieval fantasy setting, I also hate that you don't see your party during combat in many of the older games. And as iconic as the Toriyama art style is, it's not very varied. Dude has like 5 character designs which he slightly alters to make countless "different" characters, like 80% of DQ protagonists looks like some Goku variation.

With that said DQ 11 was better than any mainline single player FF since X.

Last edited:

Isa

Is puff puff massage ?
Ummm, yes.
square enix japan GIF

Animated GIF
op GIF
GIF by Swaps4
hentai GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
DQ for me.

I can see why some people don't like the simplicity of it but that's also what makes it so good for so many people.

FF experiments more but I honestly only really like 6, 7, and 13.

DQ is always consistent with its quality and always gives you a fun quest with memorable characters. It's such a chill gameplay experience, nothing but good times with DQ.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
The only DQ i've ever played was DQ11, and it was fun at the beginning but i was bored by the middle of it. Combat is bland and repetitive, story and dialog has some charm but very childlike, music is ok. I lost interest and couldn't finish it after 25+ hours.
FF has step down after FFX, but FFXIV has a great story and awesome musics and FFXVI sound promising. I'm team chocobo.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
FF, but only because "when" they do hit it out the park
It's way above anything else

Bakkus

I'll go with Dragon Quest. It's high quality consistency throughout its entries is remarkable. It does have its low points (some of which came with age) and high points (DQV is easily one of the greatest games ever made), but overall, all of them are good.

Also, for anyone who has played the SNES/DS version of DQ V or anyone interested in playing it, i highly recommend the Playstation 2 japanese import of Dragon Quest V. It is fully remade in 3D with a gorgeous artstyle and orchestrated music. By far the best version. There is a fully translated english patch available.

48719-dragon-quest-v-tenku-no-hanayome-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
I've played a bit of this and i am annoyed that you can no longer just click on boxes and barrels to open them. Here you have to raise them up then throw them. Takes much longer time when you're gonna do it hundreds of times throughout the game.

Last edited:

Allandor

Well, Dragon Quest ist better than any FF after part X

Have you played FFXIV? That's gotta be the last real FF Square made since IX, IMO. It obviously is an MMO, though, if you're not into those.
Well I tried, but it is really not my type of a game. MMOs are just not interesting (for me) from the story perspective. FF X was already not up to the previous entries but still somehow good. That the buried the open overworld was the beginning of the end. FF XV is a total disaster in any regard that made the FF franchise special. It was just another action rpg with big, big plot holes and unlikeable characters, ... all to also sell you a movie and DLCs that wanted to fill the gaps but are also just as bad as the game.

I love DQ, but even if not all recent FFs hit, them trying new things all the time is better than being so rigid and sticking to the formula like DQ does it.
A once established franchise shouldn't change to much. The franchises have made their fans with the existing games and the fans want (more or less) more of the same thing. Small changes to the gameplay are totally acceptable but getting into the direction of a button-smasher action RPG without any soul is not acceptable for a franchise entry (from a fan perspective). Just as a small example, you don't buy a football game to get a basketball game. That's what happend with the FF series (IMHO).
FF XV was planned as spin-off and that would be acceptable, too. E.g. I even liked "dirge of Cerberus" as it just adds a bit to the story of FF VII but did it's own thing. But I would have hated it if I was expected a main entry FF game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
I personally think that Final Fantasy is a more interesting series, since it tends to be more experimental and less formulaic than Dragon Quest. If we are comparing my favorite installments then Dragon Quest wins by a country mile. Final Fantasy VI is great, but Dragon Quest V is an epic.

• Thoughtful

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dragon Quest's charm is in its simplicity.
Final Fantasy's charm is in its complexity.

Final Fantasy is plagued by releasing incomplete games since the beginning of the ps2 era, and in each game is becoming more obvious.
Dragon quest is plagued by stagnation, following very simple and/or childish stories and identical combat, being differentiated mostly by whatever jump in graphics.

This reads to me like you never played a Final Fantasy game. Aside from XV, they are all finished titles. Unless you are trying to be a pedantic goober and try and claim that XI and XIV aren't "finished" because they are MMOs.

OT: There are so many people here ignorant of both franchises and its clear reading their responses that they haven't played either.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Both great. Although I like the traditional turn based style, I like what they did with FFVII.

Aenima

I bought all the main FFs since FF7 and a couple of spin offs, so Final Fantasy to me. Im not a big fan of Dragon Quest artstyle, but as long they keep the gameplay structure as a traditional JRPG, ill keep buying them. DQ11 was excelent.

Mozzarella

I played more Final Fantasy games and i like their music more as well as their game designs and how they try to innovate the evolve themselves. I played only one Dragon Quest game which was decent, the other one is the new one XI which i played for just a couple of hours before pausing it. I dont have enough exposure to Dragon Quest to judge it fairly but i think from what i played its a bland series in general.
So, Final Fantasy for me, despite it having a bunch of mediocre titles.

DarkestHour

Banned
I was huge in to FF until FF8 and beyond. Dragon Quest really hasn't strayed from the formula so I'm still madly in love.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't know the Dragon Quest franchise as well as I do Final Fantasy. I Played only the XI on Switch and the game didn't capture me the same way some of the Final Fantasy games did.

Final Fantasy III/VI is on my personal TOP 5 Best games of all time. Love Final Fantasy V - VII - IX - X - XII.

So For me FF is better, but that can be only my ignorance about DQ games, idk...

• Thoughtful

Rran

Surprised at how many people didn't click with DQXI. It's basically a modern-style Chrono Trigger (yes, I just said that): turn-based awesomeness, super charming writing peppered with moments of real heartbreak, a Yuji Horii penned story and Akira Toriyama art, and a bunch of modern amenities such as a variety of ways to make the game way more challenging and a full built-in "demake" mode.

And they're all more or less like that, which is why I voted DQ. The series doesn't have a single bad game, and even its worst entries still have reliably strong aspects in the story, music, and art categories due to the consistent staff. DQ1 basically invented the JRPG, including plenty of gameplay elements still used today. DQ3 has aged beautifully and is still great fun to play to the point where they're making an HD remake of an NES game on modern systems. DQ5 told a beautifully tragic story that focused on a family and the passage of time. DQ8 showed the super-linear FFX that you could still have an RPG with actual exploration (and fully orchestrated music) in it. DQ11 is basically the only place to still experience a classic turn-based battle system with AAA modern polish (sorry Pokemon, you gotta step up). And on that note, the monster design is super-appealing, often hilarious, and far outclasses Final Fantasy's.

That being said, FF6 (3 on the SNES) is still the best RPG ever, so I gotta give Final Fantasy credit for that masterpiece. 4, 7 and 9 are also really solid. But I honestly lost interest in this series around the turn of the millennium, and DQ is still going strong.

Last edited:
I've been told that. I just need to get over the art style. It just looks hideous to me and it's been a turn-off to giving it a try.
Really? What about it, specifically? I know XII can be divisive but even people who don't like it tend to acknowledge that the art direction is phenomenal

Surprised at how many people didn't click with DQXI. It's basically a modern-style Chrono Trigger (yes, I just said that): turn-based awesomeness, super charming writing peppered with moments of real heartbreak, a Yuji Horii penned story and Akira Toriyama art, and a bunch of modern amenities such as a variety of ways to make the game way more challenging and a full built-in "demake" mode.
I liked DQXI but it's absolutely nowhere near as good as Chrono Trigger. The story is overall quite weak.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

And they're all more or less like that, which is why I voted DQ. The series doesn't have a single bad game, and even its worst entries still have reliably strong aspects in the story, music, and art categories due to the consistent staff. DQ1 basically invented the JRPG, including plenty of gameplay elements still used today. DQ3 has aged beautifully and is still great fun to play to the point where they're making an HD remake of an NES game on modern systems. DQ5 told a beautifully tragic story that focused on a family and the passage of time. DQ8 showed the super-linear FFX that you could still have an RPG with actual exploration (and fully orchestrated music) in it. DQ11 is basically the only place to still experience a classic turn-based battle system with AAA modern polish (sorry Pokemon, you gotta step up). And on that note, the monster design is super-appealing, often hilarious, and far outclasses Final Fantasy's.

That being said, FF6 (3 on the SNES) is still the best RPG ever, so I gotta give Final Fantasy credit for that masterpiece. 4, 7 and 9 are also really solid. But I honestly lost interest in this series around the turn of the millennium, and DQ is still going strong.
I dunno why, but I felt the necessity to defend Chrono Trigger from this comparison.

Granted, I didn't finish DQ XI and I did finish CT many times, still.

Chrono Trigger in just its one hour, presented me to Marle, Lucca and Frog, some of the most memorable musics and great and fun dialogs, the story is simple but very engaging, Chrono Trigger characters are the focus. Then you play another hour, you are in the future, you meet Robo and learn about Lavos, now you and your new friends decide to Save the World and then, you got to hear for the first time the Hero song from Chrono Trigger. By that time, I was hooked.

DQ XI all I remember was going through some ritual of passage climbing a mountain and discovering some power with a childhood friend and boring dialogs, after that I go to a city and got locked out. I mean, the game don't make a good first impression, at least for me, I do believe the game pick up after some time, after all, a lot of people really like that game and definitely there is something that I'm missing, but I just dropped in the beginning, the pace is a real issue for me, at least in that part. I still want to play it some day, but for now, the game is in the limbo of my backlog of games I tried, didn't click with and dropped. I don't want to sound over negative about it, but I don't think the game is good enough to be compared with Chrono Trigger, thats all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my opinion we need both, Final Fantasy is all over the place in quality but they are ambitious and we need that but we also need also DQ who give us very traditional formula JRPG.

Kacho

Final Fantasy for sure but only as far as the older games go. Basically up to X. Everything after that has been garbage and I’ve enjoyed the recent Dragon Quest titles over anything Final Fantasy post X.

EDMIX

Final Fantasy is no surprise that its more popular. its far more different each entry as they have great liberty to have different themes, tones etc so I don't really see that changing. Dragon Quest might have a different story each game, but the art direction remaining the same will actually keep it at a smaller install base.

Both great IP, but FF offers much more to build, grow and widen the popularity of that IP then DQ does.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Final Fantasy for sure but only as far as the older games go. Basically up to X. Everything after that has been garbage and I’ve enjoyed the recent Dragon Quest titles over anything Final Fantasy post X.
I personally enjoyed FFVIIR, its shame FF may never go back to turn based combat but at least I like what they are going with action combat especially after playing Intermission, if they improve on that in part 2 then I'm game.

KiteGr

This reads to me like you never played a Final Fantasy game. Aside from XV, they are all finished titles. Unless you are trying to be a pedantic goober and try and claim that XI and XIV aren't "finished" because they are MMOs.

OT: There are so many people here ignorant of both franchises and its clear reading their responses that they haven't played either.
FF10 leaves plenty of hints that it's unfinished. The largest city being unexplorable, the lack of a water aeon, the underused affection mechanism that change 3 cutscenes, doors that never open, signs that say "welcome to auction house", the final areas being reused areas from scrapped early builds, and the slapped on nature of the dark aeons that prevent you from backtracking and getting weak items and Auron's limit breaks.

FF11 is the one I actually never played.

FF12 isn't as much unfinished, as it is interfered. The original director planed a story around Bash. That's why the story is more political. SE had none of it and ordered a yunger protagonist slapped on. The original director left due to health reasons and a new director salvaged the project, who also claimed the license system is a fraction of what he had originally planned.

FF13 is a known mess from the lack of interactivity in the world, and the story is hidden in Menus of all things!

FF14... YOU CAN'T FUCKING TELL ME THAT THIS GAME RELEASED IN A FINISHED STATE! What you are playing right now is especially a remake, as the original release was handled so bad, SE had to publicly accept that the franchise is damaged.

FF15. At least you agree on this one.
Here's a video if you don't.

Last edited:

Handel

I've only played VIII and XI from the DQ series (and common consensus has those two and V as the best DQs), and while both are great they don't quite reach the high highs of the best FFs I've played. Though from what people say, DQ is more consistent so pound for pound might be the better series, if not the one that has the highest peak quality for my tastes.

NahaNago

From what little I've played of dragon quest they are simply too unambitious. They can for the most part keep the traditional elements of the series but they really need to wow in the visuals and the story elements. Final Fantasy unfortunately has too many issues with the series since it changes so much from game to game. FF16 like I've mentioned in the past is the only mainline FF game I've lost all hype or interest in since I fell in love with the series starting at FF7(FF6 is good but I started with 7). The only reason I'd vote Final Fantasy is because I loved the ps1 games but I like the dragon quest games I've played.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
FF10 leaves plenty of hints that it's unfinished. The largest city being unexplorable, the lack of a water aeon, the underused affection mechanism that change 3 cutscenes, doors that never open, signs that say "welcome to auction house", the final areas being reused areas from scrapped early builds, and the slapped on nature of the dark aeons that prevent you from backtracking and getting weak items and Auron's limit breaks.
FF11 is the one I actually never played.

FF12 isn't as much unfinished, as it is interfered. The original director planed a story around Bash. That's why the story is more political. SE had none of it and ordered a yunger protagonist slapped on. The original director left due to health reasons and a new director salvaged the project, who also claimed the license system is a fraction of what he had originally planned.

FF13 is a known mess from the lack of interactivity in the world, and the story is hidden in Menus of all things!

FF14... YOU CAN'T FUCKING TELL ME THAT THIS GAME RELEASED IN A FINISHED STATE! What you are playing right now is especially a remake, as the original release was handled so bad, SE had to publicly accept that the franchise is damaged.
FF15. At least you agree on this one.
Here's a video if you don't.

It is clear you don't understand what unfinished means.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
DQ is way too fucking long and FF tends to have stories that are extremely disappointing after the major reveal. Both end up being disappointing in their own way. Based on the last entries, DQ was better.

Top Bottom