• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Treasures |OT| Treasure your Monsters well!

Andyliini

DQTR_Logo.png

Developers: Armor Project, Square-Enix
Publisher: Square-Enix
Genre: RPG
Release date: December 9 2022
System: Nintendo Switch

Story
Erik and his sister Mia live on a Viking longship, dreaming of the day they can explore the world in search of grand treasure. One night they encounter a pair of otherworldly creatures, Porcus and Purrsula, and are whisked away to a mysterious place known as Draconia - a legendary land full of treasures just waiting to be discovered. The adventure Erik and Mia have always dreamed of is finally underway!
With the vast world of Draconia to explore and tons of tantalizing treasure to find, Erik, Mia, and their cute companions will need some help. The team soon befriends and recruits a veritable variety of well-mannered monsters. By making use of these monsters' magical visions of hidden treasure and their unique treasure-hunting abilities, our heroes will race over open fields, scale cliffs with a single bound, and glide over gaping chasms to locate loot in even the most fiendishly inaccessible spots!
Venture into a vast, varied world where twists, turns, and mysteries lie hidden on your path to discovering the legendary treasure of Draconia!

Characters
Meet Erik and Mia, the famous sisters from Dragon Quest IX. This story takes place as our heroic sisters are still kids. Together, they must loot treasure and tame the wild monsters of Draconia.
NSwitch_DragonQuestTreasures_02.jpg

Reviews
OpenCritic: 77
MetaCritic: 77

Nintendo Life - 8/10

If you go in expecting to sink 100 hours into Dragon Quest Treasures or think you’ll get the same kind of intricate plot that the series is known for, you’ll come away disappointed. However, if you are a younger gamer that is itching for a taste of what a JRPG is like or you just want something laid back to tackle, there is a lot of fun to be had here. Everything you’d expect in a JRPG is in this game, just stripped back to the basics, all adorned with that timeless Dragon Quest charm.

Noisy Pixel - 7,5/10
Dragon Quest Treasures is a fun time with plenty of adventuring to be had. Its charming writing expected of the series, and the endearing cast creates a distinct, inviting ambiance, even if the story isn’t exactly compelling. Of course, there are plenty of tasks to complete and items to find to keep busy as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Edited for this new launch trailer which naturally looks very nice in comparison to that longplay:

OP: new video is more like 14 minutes of slow gameplay rather than an overview trailer like the older one. I thought it was a Monsters/Joker successor but nope. Weird they do a low effort spin off after the grand Dragon Quest XI. Monsters could have one upped Pokemon, show GF how it's done 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Sisters? You mean simblings, right?

Anyway, cool stuff I guess. I'm aways up for more Dragon Quest games, I just love the monsters from DQ series.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This is more like 14 minutes of slow gameplay rather than an actual overview like this older video. I thought this game would be a Monsters/Joker successor but I guess not. Weird they put this low effort spin off out on the same system as the grand Dragon Quest XI. Monsters could one up Pokemon, show them how it's done.

Man this looks and sounds pretty awful.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This video is more like 14 minutes of slow gameplay rather than an actual overview like the older one. I thought this was a Monsters/Joker successor but nope. So weird they do a low effort spin off after the grand Dragon Quest XI. Monsters could have one upped Pokemon, show GF how it's done.

Yeah... this looks pretty rough. Hope it's more fun than this looks. Surprised that's what they went with on the official DQ channel.

Ordered a copy from Japan since the yen is weak right now and that saved me some money, so I guess I'll find out in a few weeks when it gets here.

Lokaum D+

Overworld music was so horrible I had to mute it.
i neve finished the game cause the open world music, at the time that they release S with DQ8 Overworld theme i already had lost my interest in the game, probrably ll have another go on PS++ or Switch in the future.

nocsi

I thought nobody on this board bought this game. It's a chill relaxed game, but is also really just a series of fetch quests cobbled together. In frank, it's a miniaturized version of an MMO game.

With that said, the gameplay loop is fun and fulfilling. If you're willing to digest something that "is what it is" at its surface-level. This game is frankly, cobble together appropriate monster teams, go out and look for treasures, give random quest givers shit they want, return home when you have too much treasure, repeat. It sounds boring, but it isn't since you get exactly what you see. There's no trickery, there's the dopamine at the end of each gameplay loop, just don't go seeking for more.

The combat is kinda fucked, the aiming can be hard and your monsters outclass you that you don't want to be doing much other than supporting them anyways. If you've played FF14, the combat is kinda like playing a healer role, you're spent making sure your monsters are buffed/healed and dodging monster hit insignias as laid out on the ground.

So far i've been aimlessly going between different biomes/islands and not really following the main quest line flow - giving into my ADHD. Because of that, I think I have a more a favorable opinion of the game. I've spent around 15 hours so far, but haven't even finished the first main quest after getting the base. Others rushed through the main quest line and beat the game in 15 hours. It's very much an exploration game and that's what people would get out of it. 9.0/10 game for those with ADHD

Vandole

And just like that, it's out on Steam.
The treatment this series gets from S-E marketing is criminal.
Wow, talk about under the radar. That's insane. I know it wasn't a huge title, but there's not even a press release about the Steam release. I wonder if there's a job opening in their marketing department... I wonder if they have a marketing department...

Top Bottom