• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai new game project and anime announced

Mista

Banned

Square Enix announced a new game project based on the Weekly Shonen Jump manga Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai, which ran from 1989 to 1996 and has since sold over 47 million copies, at Jump Festa 2020. Additionally, Toei Animation announced a new anime based on the manga set to premiere in fall 2020

The Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai game is developed by Square Enix and produced by Ryutaro Ichimura. Platforms were not announced, but when guest Daigo asked if it was an app (smartphone title), Dragon Quest series creator and game designer Yuji Horii responded, “Are we allowed to say what hardware?” In response to that exchange, Ichimura said, “Once you say hardware and such, it’s basically given away… Whether it’s an app or what hardware it’s on really shouldn’t be brought up.”
Gematsu

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im a semi anime fan (nore older stuff) and a manga reader. I had no idea this existed

Reactions: TLZ

Mista

Banned
Im a semi anime fan (nore older stuff) and a manga reader. I had no idea this existed
giphy.gif

ethomaz

Banned
I found the manga because the anime was pretty famous here in Brasil in the opened channel SBT.

Sad they only have one or two seasons of the anime so it never ended lol

Last edited:
I found the manga because the anime was pretty famous here in Brasil in the opened channel SBT.

Sad they only have one or two seasons of the anime so it never ended lol

SBT and Manchete were pretty based in the 90's. There were a lot of top notch anime and some weird WWE-style bullshit shows, watching some Shurato with your friends then playing some Goldeneye was PEAK EXISTENCE.

My brazilian friends, you know DAMN WELL what this is.
And people from the Arab World as well! Dai was a popular show in the late 90s. I always tried to imagine what an RPG based on it would be like but never hoped that it would happen for real. This is like a dream coming true. Now let’s hope SE doesn’t mess it up. It would be neat if the battle system is turn-based like the DQ games. Man some boss fights are going to be so epic (Hyunkel, Myst Vearn, Hadlar...)

Last edited:
For many years now, I've maintained that should they ever shoot for a high budget Action RPG sort of orientation for a DQ game proper to a higher degree than the Swords experiment---Dai would be THE absolute standard to take every conceivable cue from every which way...save maybe a bit of Abel sprinkled in here and there. Especially in the relative forthcoming present now where we have the tech to better capture such an aesthetic and sense of wild, spectacle laden tension.

Mista

Banned
For many years now, I've maintained that should they ever shoot for a high budget Action RPG sort of orientation for a DQ game proper to a higher degree than the Swords experiment---Dai would be THE absolute standard to take every conceivable cue from every which way...save maybe a bit of Abel sprinkled in here and there. Especially in the relative forthcoming present now where we have the tech to better capture such an aesthetic and sense of wild, spectacle laden tension.
Great observation. I always thought Dai is great and should be the standard

ethomaz

Banned
And people from the Arab World as well! Dai was a popular show in the late 90s. I always tried to imagine what an RPG based on it would be like but never hoped that it would happen for real. This is like a dream coming true. Now let’s hope SE doesn’t mess it up. It would be neat if the battle system is turn-based like the DQ games. Man some boss fights are going to be so epic (Hyunkel, Myst Vearn, Hadlar...)
But Daí is basically a Dragon Quest game in manga/anime form.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Does anyone remember the old Dragon Quest TV series? Never made it over here and don't remember how many episodes it had.

Hudo

I hope that this game project will be an RPG in the vein of the other Dragon Quest RPGs but I doubt it since Horii is already working on DQXII.

But it would be cool if they'd use UE4 again and let another director make a Dragon Quest Dai RPG under supervision of Horii.

But it will probably be a mobile game...

Jon Neu

Banned
In Catalonia it was also called Fly instead of Dai.

Good shonen, I felt very sad that it stopped airing for no reason.

I loved the opening. I remember buying a lot of Fly toys when I was a little kid. Genki, Crocodine and Hadler were my favourites.

Shouta

But Daí is basically a Dragon Quest game in manga/anime form.

To be exact, Dai is Dragon Quest in Shounen anime/manga form

There's another manga that captures the Dragon Quest feel even more so. Dragon Quest Retsuden: Emblem of Loto. It's like the perfect depiction of the series as a manga. It even ties into the games as well in a way.

I highly recommend both series

ethomaz

Banned
To be exact, Dai is Dragon Quest in Shounen anime/manga form

There's another manga that captures the Dragon Quest feel even more so. Dragon Quest Retsuden: Emblem of Loto. It's like the perfect depiction of the series as a manga. It even ties into the games as well in a way.

I highly recommend both series
Great.

Top Bottom