• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary Stream set for May 26th

YukiOnna

SE going to have a very good financial year all the way up to FY2024 with big titles and spin-offs from all major IP's.

Fun stream with a good variety of announcements.

Reactions: Isa

C4.lukin

Banned
So did they announce platforms for any of this?

The only ones I care about are DQ3, DQ10 offline, and DQ12 which is not even a game right now. It is an announced sequal, like Fast and Furious 10.

Did they announce platforms for any of this.

And thank you squeenix for translating, this is Japan only into subtitles for us English speakers. Oh and "announcing 6 games," (I suck at high level punctuation.)? ++? //??? +!

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Can't believe I waste my time for a logo. Maybe its a sign to not do that again.
Well, we got to know that we'll have a DQ game tailored towards adults, with an older protagonist, different combat, and some sort of multiple choice system?

It's a pretty drastic change to what the franchise is known for.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Well seeing XII announced was great, and it has an excellent logo. DQ3 remake with the octopath style graphics looked so good. Easily makes up for the disappointment in the dqx offline game. I don’t like the visual direction they took with that one. Oh well still plenty of good dragon quest to look forward to!

YukiOnna

So did they announce platforms for any of this?

The only ones I care about are DQ3, DQ10 offline, and DQ12 which is not even a game right now. It is an announced sequal, like Fast and Furious 10.

Did they announce platforms for any of this.

And thank you squeenix for translating, this is Japan only into subtitles for us English speakers. Oh and "announcing 6 games," (I suck at high level punctuation.)? ++? //??? +!
Nope. DQ3 HD-2D is confirmed "for consoles and simultaneous worldwide release", DQ10 Offline had no platform announcement, just aiming for 2022, and DQXII goes without saying, but it'll probably be PS5/Switch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I missed the stream because I was too busy getting my ass handed to me by Valstrax in Rise but I love 2D-HD Remake announcement.
no command-driven combat
You mean its not turns based combat!?
giphy.gif

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I missed the stream because I was too busy getting my ass handed to me by Valstrax in Rise but I love 2D-HD Remake announcement.

You mean its not turns based combat!?
giphy.gif
I don't know what's the best translation, but they did say the combat would be different.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't know what's the best translation, but they did say the combat would be different.
I accepted the fact FF is going action combat route since I still had DQ for my turn based combat goodness, I really don't want to see DQ going to same route as FF.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Well, we got to know that we'll have a DQ game tailored towards adults, with an older protagonist, different combat, and some sort of multiple choice system?

It's a pretty drastic change to what the franchise is known for.

As far I could tell, it means nothing since the game will go worldwide and have drastic changes as a result.
Also its not like I was in desperate need of 12. Sure I'm happy but what more? Just a logo and info that could change overtime means nothing. I wish they could show something more substancial, this was DQ aniversary stream for gods sake.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Gematsu just translates it as "The series’ traditional command battles will also be revamped."

I personally don't care either way, but I doubt they completely drop it.

Andyliini

Well, I'm interested in Dragon Quest X Offline, Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake and Dragon Quest XII. Not in a hurry to play them, as I still have no even began playing XI, but good to know more Dragon Quest is coming to the West as well.

elliot5

Gematsu just translates it as "The series’ traditional command battles will also be revamped."

That's why when they said revamped or changed but not outright gone, I think it means the hybrid FF7R system

Dragon Quest XII: dark, mature content and will make changes to the traditional combat; I'm sure the game is a long ways off, but it's immensely disappointing to think the mainline series could be morphing into another edgy, action-y RPG title. Also think I'm coming to realize I really dislike the Team Asano, HD-2D aesthetic, which is tempering any potential excitement for the DQ3 remake. For me, at least, this was a deflating event stream.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

If they want retain their fanbase they will probably go for optional route. That way they can appease both classic and modern fans.

Last edited:

alf717

DQXI on Switch had a kind of free roam thing going during battle that was on by default. I turned it off ASAP. Not sure what to think about the XII news but I'll hold off to see more info.

Last edited:

Velcro Fly

Everything but the mobile game looked neat.

If we do get DQX offline I am buying that and playing it even if I think it looks bad. I've played really ugly Dragon Quest games before and it didn't change my enjoyment much.

DQ3R looks cool too. Would love 1-2 that way as well since Horii said he wanted to do it.

And yeah the worldwide release aim stuff is fantastic.

I worry what may become of the battle system though. Please no FF7R stuff.

So here is what they announced:

IMG_0141.jpg

• Dragon Quest Treasures, a treasure-hunting RPG starring characters from Dragon Quest XI

• A remake of Dragon Quest III in a similar “HD-2D” visual style to Square Enix’s Octopath Traveler

• The next major expansion to Dragon Quest X, the Japan-only MMO
  • Dragon Quest X Offline, a top-down version of X that doesn’t require an internet connection

• Dragon Quest Keshikeshi, a mobile puzzle game
  • Dragon Quest XII: Flames of Fate logo, Yuji Horii also hinted at some changes to the turn-based system

The Octopath Traveler style remake of DQ III looks nice. DQ X offline will be top-down which is weird. DQ XII will make changes to the turn-based system, really not sure if I fancy that.
Sadly no re-release of DQ XIII and no new Dragon Quest Builders.

Kokoloko85

Hopefully they keep the battle system turn based for DQ12 and not change it too much to make it dark and edgy.

And then Remake 1 and 2 like they are doing 3 and Eventually 4.

Id like proper 3D Remake ( like XI of either DQ 8, 5, 9 or 7 preferably in that order lol

Porcile

The Dragon Quest 9 on DS announcement was how I found GAF. The Dragon Quest platform announcement events always bring about legendary meltdown threads. SE totally wimped out this time.

FStubbs

Interesting. Surprised they're remaking 3 in this style and not 9. 9 might end up the game that goes the longest without a remake.

FStubbs

The Dragon Quest 9 on DS announcement was how I found GAF. The Dragon Quest platform announcement events always bring about legendary meltdown threads. SE totally wimped out this time.
Probably PS5, Switch, PC, and Xbox Series S/X.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
I thought it was an alright stream. Nice to see the world included more. The original Dragon Warrior was my first rpg, so I very much would like to see the first two games remade in the HD-2D art style as well, though III and IV were also my favorites. DQ3R has me pumped though, looks fantastic. Can't wait to play around with making characters. Also nice to see DQ XII announced, I really want to see the character art. I'm open minded to what the changes may bring, but am also hesitant about them as well. Not very many big names still keep the turn-based faith alive, but it'd be a shame to see DQ change to try and court a new audience. But, maybe it'll be turn based with some new features, like Persona or something with team attacks and such.

Its crazy that Horii has so many stories in him this long. Apart from X(which I really want to play) all the games have moved me in some way, its a great track record.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Glad to hear they are changing the battle system. DQ’s battles are so damn boring.

I’d love something like the Grandia games.
FF XII, or FF XIII.

SSfox

Dragon Quest X is atrocius.
Why that massive downgrade?
Right, not only the game is ugly, but they expect people to go back playing this shitty old outdated game If at least it got a legit modern graphic update, but no SE expct us to go back play this old game that they decided to fix 10 years after its release... smh SE

Top Bottom