• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot |OT| Nostalgia over 9000, just Saiyan

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm bored to tears by this game. Just the thought of yet another predictable fight that'll be exactly like the previous 40 000 is making me nope the fuck out.

HotPocket69

Banned
I haven’t given a shit about DBZ since ‘93 or so when I watched a few non subtitled movies or episodes on laserdisc. Had no idea what was happening but the fights were awesome.

I really wanna check this out. It just looks fun and I love how colorful the world is. I don’t mind repetitive as fuck fetch quests either.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I haven’t given a shit about DBZ since ‘93 or so when I watched a few non subtitled movies or episodes on laserdisc. Had no idea what was happening but the fights were awesome.

I really wanna check this out. It just looks fun and I love how colorful the world is. I don’t mind repetitive as fuck fetch quests either.
Are you in Canada And have an Xbox One?

Same question for you JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered .

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

I'm so picking this up when the price goes down. I loved Xenoverse and this looks to be even better for a solo player.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I dunno, I enjoy the game but like...it just feels...

The best way I can describe it, is this is the game I wanted in 2007

Like...the planning of the mechanics are all there (Everything you do gains you something) but it feels like they're just hitting a check list...

It's the Dragon Ball game I've wanted since I was a kid but...it's just lack luster comparing it to more modern or even past open world games.

And legit, you can't go back and do missed side quests right now; huge downer for a completion-ist like myself. I'm just confused why they omitted it in the first place; there has to be a huge amount of tampering checks for not being able to load certain values and flags in certain areas

Codes 208

For a AA budget, run-of-the-mill anime game, I’m having a blast.

just beat freeza and it looks like ive already put in around 13 hours.

Oh yeah, just made it to second intermission and I'm lovin it more and more. I wish it didn't skip so much of the smaller story stuff though, coulda been cool minigames at least

Kagey K

Banned
Oh yeah, just made it to second intermission and I'm lovin it more and more. I wish it didn't skip so much of the smaller story stuff though, coulda been cool minigames at least
That’s where I am also. Collect all the Dragonballs and bring people back to life for new side missions and soul emblems. 😉

I love how when the narrator is telling the story at the end of the arc he’s like “Well they were glad to have Yamcha back” when everyone else gets more.

Last edited:

Codes 208

That’s where I am also. Collect all the Dragonballs and bring people back to life for new side missions and soul emblems. 😉

I love how when the narrator is telling the story at the end of the arc he’s like “Well they were glad to have Yamcha back” when everyone else gets more.
This game loves picking on yamcha. I just completed a side quest that ended with him getting yamcha’d by one of those pirate robots.

HotPocket69

Banned
Downloading now

Kinda hyped. I’m coming at this as someone that doesn’t know jack shit about the lore and is only familiar with some characters. Like, Trunks has always been my “fav” because he just looks badass with that hair and his sword.

Hyyyyyyiiiieeeeppp

mysticboy

Fuck no. I didnt particularly care for fake namek (or atleast not until dbza) but garlic jr was just an awful filler arc that did nothing more than retread the same thing as the movie. It was boring and its better left off forgotten.
It'll hit different actually playing through it tho. Especially in an RPG setting.

EDMIX

Oh wow CyberConnect2 did this?

Why the hell didn’t they just make it like Asura’s Wrath then?

Well they are simply a contracted developer, Capcom holds that IP. Cyberconnect also worked on those Nartuo Games, worked on the early FFVII remake stuff etc They are a very, very solid developer, but for the most part they are contracted, as in they don't make their own IP, simply work for hire type dev.

Codes 208

It'll hit different actually playing through it tho. Especially in an RPG setting.
No amount of gameplay would make garlic jr any less boring of a villain and arc.
Well they are simply a contracted developer, Capcom holds that IP. Cyberconnect also worked on those Nartuo Games, worked on the early FFVII remake stuff etc They are a very, very solid developer, but for the most part they are contracted, as in they don't make their own IP, simply work for hire type dev.
I think he means why didnt they just make the gameplay like Asura’s Wrath as AW did fit the vibes of a DBZ-like series rather than going for the xeno ninja storm style they went with.

EDMIX

No amount of gameplay would make garlic jr any less boring of a villain and arc.

I think he means why didnt they just make the gameplay like Asura’s Wrath as AW did fit the vibes of a DBZ-like series rather than going for the xeno ninja storm style they went with.

ahhhh I see what you mean now.

Maybe they didn't have that liberty or something. Its hard to really know what they can and can't do with other licenses, IPs etc. I imagine some check list exist like "can't say over 9000" or "can't reference Chi Chi with other......body parts" lol

HotPocket69

Banned
After that badass retro intro movie I wasn’t expecting such a gentle, moving stringed score when you first gain control as Goku. I’ve just been sitting here listening and sipping on a quality IPA. Really nice.

Controls feel good. Love how they just throw you right into it in the midst of a big, heated battle.

I also love how the menus look. The game overall is just so vibrant and colorful.

Im coming off of replaying the Mass Effect trilogy so this is quite the palate cleanse 🤓

Last edited:

Codes 208

Exactly, there's a lot of 'filler' that people hated watching but coulda been fun to play. Like I would have loved to play with the 2 demon dudes on snake way, or training at king kai's
Training at king kai’s isnt technically filler. They kept a lot of that in kai. And the smaller things that act for a sub quest or two i personally wouldnt hate so much but id rather have a mission based on the movies than what felt like a slog of a filler arc. garlic jr was just a boring character. But someone like Cooler? Broly? Lord slug? Janemba? Id be down for those.

plus its not like they haven’t incorporated filler stuff, goku’s driving lesson is technically filler yet its still in the game.

HotPocket69

Banned
I’ve been playing all day and have been having a blast. Been doing all the side stuff, though those villainous enemies in the plains are impossible for now. Piccolo is such a hardass, but he’s great. Vegeta and Nappa just arrived 😮

It feels great zipping around. The collecteshit orbs remind me of Crackdown and Saints Row.

Combat seems pretty simple but holy shit does it look awesome.

Now I need to see the show. Fuck. Guess I’ll have to sub to Crunchyroll or something for the next couple months.

Last edited:

Larxia

I had doubts at first, then I started to really enjoy the game despite its many problems, but then... something totally ruined the game for me, the "random" encounters.
I'm extremely surprised to see no one talking about this issue, I looked on google and no one seem to be talking about how annoying these encounters are.

You can't do any free roaming at all anymore because there will be ennemies chasing you every 2 seconds, with the characters repeating the same line over and over when they will see ennemies.
You can avoid the combats by using the fast flight mode to fly into the ennemies and end the combat instantly, but it's not a solution, because you still can't just enjoy the world, you have to be constantly rushing between every objectives at full speed.

Here are two small clips showing how annoying it is :

I really don't understand why they did that. I started to enjoy it when I saw the world opening and having more locations to go to and explore freely, but this... just ruined it for me.
And it's like this everywhere, not just in this specific area. The only places it doesn't happen is in city / towns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I had doubts at first, then I started to really enjoy the game despite its many problems, but then... something totally ruined the game for me, the "random" encounters.
I'm extremely surprised to see no one talking about this issue, I looked on google and no one seem to be talking about how annoying these encounters are.

You can't do any free roaming at all anymore because there will be ennemies chasing you every 2 seconds, with the characters repeating the same line over and over when they will see ennemies.
You can avoid the combats by using the fast flight mode to fly into the ennemies and end the combat instantly, but it's not a solution, because you still can't just enjoy the world, you have to be constantly rushing between every objectives at full speed.

Here are two small clips showing how annoying it is :

I really don't understand why they did that. I started to enjoy it when I saw the world opening and having more locations to go to and explore freely, but this... just ruined it for me.
And it's like this everywhere, not just in this specific area. The only places it doesn't happen is in city / towns.

I have never had an issue with the "random" encounters. They aren't random if you know how to properly maneuver your character. You can run past them, one shot them assuming you are a higher level (which you should be for almost all enemies outside of the very specifically red/large power level enemies which are conveniently marked on your map), and even if you *did* run into them, it takes seconds to beat them down.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I have never had an issue with the "random" encounters. They aren't random if you know how to properly maneuver your character. You can run past them, one shot them assuming you are a higher level (which you should be for almost all enemies outside of the very specifically red/large power level enemies which are conveniently marked on your map, and even if you *did* run into them, it takes seconds to beat them down.
And personally i find one-shotting enemies to be a very fun way of grinding exp and orbs

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Does the game have many cutscenes? The review I read said no most of its just text bubbles.

There are a lot of cutscenes. Some are full on pre-rendered scenes while others are lower effort ones with in-game animations and text bubbles (that still have voiced speech). Then there are some, primarily side quests that are just text bubbles with little to no animation.

Larxia

I have never had an issue with the "random" encounters. They aren't random if you know how to properly maneuver your character. You can run past them, one shot them assuming you are a higher level (which you should be for almost all enemies outside of the very specifically red/large power level enemies which are conveniently marked on your map), and even if you *did* run into them, it takes seconds to beat them down.
So you never want to just fly / walk around peacefully without being chased every 2 seconds?
There's always this sensation of having to rush and never being in peace that I find extremely annoying. A few ennemies here and there could be okay, but constantly, it's horrible.
It's not about not being able to maneuver my character or being low level, you can see in the clip that I can avoid them / fly into them, but I still find it really annoying that it's always like that and that there are no moments of peaceful exploration where you can just appreciate the world in a slow pace.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So you never want to just fly / walk around peacefully without being chased every 2 seconds?
There's always this sensation of having to rush and never being in peace that I find extremely annoying. A few ennemies here and there could be okay, but constantly, it's horrible.
It's not about not being able to maneuver my character or being low level, you can see in the clip that I can avoid them / fly into them, but I still find it really annoying that it's always like that and that there are no moments of peaceful exploration where you can just appreciate the world in a slow pace.

I have had maybe 3 times I ran into an enemy while walking in my 40+ hours of playing. Flying around, again you can easily do that if you spend the 3 seconds to breifly pause and blast through an enemy, or just avoid them. It is insanely easy to fly past them.

HotPocket69

Banned

I-I THINK I CAN HANDLE THIS

😑🔫
💥
⚰️

Last edited:
  • LOL

Tiamat2san

Cyber connect 2 cutscene are incredible as always but how the fuck there’s no Final Flash cutscene?
It’s a classic moment!!!

HotPocket69

Banned
This game is so fucking good

Mid way through the Frieza saga now

As almost a complete total noob douche to this franchise I’m loving the shit out of mostly everything. Huge Asura’s Wrath fan so the spectacle is just as amazing. I need more CC2 in my life.

Kagey K

Banned
This game is so fucking good

Mid way through the Frieza saga now

As almost a complete total noob douche to this franchise I’m loving the shit out of mostly everything. Huge Asura’s Wrath fan so the spectacle is just as amazing. I need more CC2 in my life.
While I’m not a big fan of the source material (never really watched it), the NARUTO Ultimate Storm games are pretty good also. They do a good job of retelling the entire story of NARUTO similar to DBZ.

I bought them all in a bundle on a cheap sale a couple years ago and had a lot of fun with them.

I tore through the first 3, but stalled out on 4. Plan on going back to it when I do my annual anime month gaming marathon.

RPGCrazied

I'm guessing this game is intended you've seen Dragon Ball Z the anime or you'll be confused as fuck. Played an hour and I'm that. Also the voice acting isn't great.

DeVeAn

I'm guessing this game is intended you've seen Dragon Ball Z the anime or you'll be confused as fuck. Played an hour and I'm that. Also the voice acting isn't great.
It helps but, this might be better as it’s faster paced. Japanese VO fits the personalities better IMO. What you confused about if I may ask?

HotPocket69

Banned

I didn’t know shit about Dragon Ball and I understand completely what’s going on. How can you not? This game goes over the original sagas and you’re given plenty of background info in the encyclopedia.

And the voice acting is fine as it’s mostly all the original actors which is a double bonus.

The game has made me want to watch the show. Luckily OG Dragon Ball is on Hulu, but DBZ from ‘89 is nowhere to be found except Funimation and that service sucks extra fat Saiyan cock.

Will probably just bite the bullet and get the $150 BR set.

Last edited:
Top Bottom