• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot launches early 2020

Doom85

I don't mind doing different stuff with Dragonball, I am just baffled by people complaining about the focus on Goku, as if that wasn't the most Dragonball thing in existence.

Focus on Goku is fine, not having any option to play any other character not so much. If Goku was the only character the fanbase liked, I'm pretty sure the series wouldn't have the longevity that it did, having only one well-received good guy doesn't exactly keep an audience engaged to a long-running series.

Doom85

Actually, pretty sure now that you will be able to play other characters, I noticed in the menu there's both a Party and Characters section. It would be downright bizarre to have only one playable character while all the others are right there fighting along side you with their own HP/skills/etc, it'd be like a Tales game where you only control the main character, that would be silly. Now, even compared to some JRPGs that love doing this it will mean plenty of times where quite a few party members will be unavailable due to being dead at the time but still nice to see that's it very likely Goku isn't the only playable character (I mean, you'd have to skip a LOT of the Namek arc if he were the only one).

Psajdak

Banned
Focus on Goku was always Toei's thing; in a lot of their anime, like Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Precure, etc., they always set it up that in the end main main character always get the last shot, even if they aren't the strongest.

It is one of the reason why there are a lot of people who more prefer characters like Vegeta (who is actually much better character than Goku), Gohan, or Piccolo, or even Trunks...

Super, while having its problems, in the end ended up very good shonen, and introduced a lot of interesting characters, and some cool concepts, but Goku in it was absolutely terrible, like he regressed to his child self, while still being a grown up man.

That being said, after seeing the gameplay, and the world map thing, I guess it isn't thaaaaaat bad, because of sidequests, but still, it isn't all that different either.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 game that I played on PS2 had a very simple, yet good world map where you have for multiple characters events, battles, and items to see/pick up, and I do think that map was better than this one.

Doom85

Focus on Goku was always Toei's thing; in a lot of their anime, like Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Precure, etc., they always set it up that in the end main main character always get the last shot, even if they aren't the strongest.

Yeah, but Dragonball/DBZ was based of an existing manga, that was all Toriyama's decisions. And he did let Gohan get the final blow in Cell Saga (heck, he let all the heroes contribute at the end, one of the reasons I actually think it's the best arc in Z), and truth be told Gohan and Gotenks should have delivered the final blows to Buu in that saga since the Cell Saga ended with Goku saying it was time for the new generation to take over, and then the Buu Saga back-downed from that theme hard despite setting up that it was going to happen with Gohan achieving Mystic and Gotenks achieving SSJ3.

Top Bottom