• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot launches early 2020

Mista

Banned

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, previously known as Dragon Ball Game Project Z, will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in early 2020, publisher Bandai Namco and developer CyberConnect2 announced during the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference. It will include English and Japanese voice-overs, and English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, Polish and Arabic subtitles.

Here is an overview of the game, via Bandai Namco:
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot is an all-new action RPG (role-playing-game) that will take players on the most accurate, dramatic, and epic telling of the Dragon Ball Z canon storyline—the story of Kakarot—the Saiyan better known as Goku.

Developed in Japan by video game developer CyberConnect2; the game tells the legendary story of Dragon Ball Z, taking players on an unforgettable adventure to experience over-the-top battles and challenging quests while creating life-long friendships as they crusade to protect Earth from fearsome villains. Additionally, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot will also present resolutions to long unanswered questions from the Dragon Ball Z storyline through light-hearted side quests.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
This is finna be litty. I'm so hyped.
tenor.gif

Zephir

If you liked the original stories and new characters in Xenoverse (kinda), Fusions, World Mission and FighterZ, screw you, you're doing the Saiyan and Frieza Sagas again!

Don't make me mad or we'll add the Cell saga as well!

Renoir

the fact that they put Kakarot as a title make me think they going to have a game for more characters.. Hoping for a vegeta story conquering planets.

Codes 208

Can't help but feel burned out regarding DBZ games.
Cant say i agree. I felt that way last gen when all we got were burst limit and raging blast but between dragon ball making a comeback with super and games like xenoverse, fighterz, fusions and now a spiritual remake of legacy of goku, i couldnt be more happy to be a dbz fan

Hinedorf

Banned
I love Dragonball but.....there's this whole new giant series called Dragon Ball Super and here we are circling the drain with the same ridiculous stories we already know the ending to already done in every other Dragon Ball game since........

Continuing to use the dragon balls to bring this dead horse back to life is really boring

Shin

Banned
the fact that they put Kakarot as a title make me think they going to have a game for more characters.. Hoping for a vegeta story conquering planets.
Honestly I thought they'd announce DBZF2, so this is a pleasant surprise and it looks damn good also.
Good nickname, it's what the current/upcoming APU's with Navi/Zen will be called :p (Matisse for datacenter versions, just sayin')

Super has its moments but lets be real: it wasnt that good

Super games would have made more money then the dbz games during the peak times. Instead they are burning dbz again which outside dbfz aren't hitting high sales ranges.

A game that had brolly in it ready for the brolly movie or shortly after would have been great for cash earnings.

Oh well.

Ascend

Cant say i agree. I felt that way last gen when all we got were burst limit and raging blast but between dragon ball making a comeback with super and games like xenoverse, fighterz, fusions and now a spiritual remake of legacy of goku, i couldnt be more happy to be a dbz fan
I'm a huge DBZ fan as well... But Super simply doesn't live up to it. The Goku Black arc was the greatest, and yet it simply cannot hold a candle to the different DBZ arcs. The other arcs in Super are simply underwhelming.

As for the games... FighterZ is great. Xenoverse is good, especially because of the altered storylines... But there's only so many times I can go through the same stories over and over and over and over. I love everything about the DBZ TV series. The Saiyan Saga, Freeza Saga, Android & Cell Saga... They're all great. But that doesn't mean I want to relive them 100 times in 100 different games. They should maybe go the Star Wars route, where they create stories that are separate from the main media. The DBZ movies do this. Why can't the games?

Last edited:

Codes 208

Super games would have made more money then the dbz games during the peak times. Instead they are burning dbz again which outside dbfz aren't hitting high sales ranges.

A game that had brolly in it ready for the brolly movie or shortly after would have been great for cash earnings.

Oh well.
Except they are. They dont need to make new games surrounds new sagas or movies when they can just add them to existing games (super broly for example is in xenoverse and already confirmed as part of fighterz season 2 roster) meanwhile Xenoverse 1 and 2 are in the multi-million copies sold. And XV2 has been doing so well that theyre still making dlc for it.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Or the original Dragon Ball with kid Goku.. would be far easier to make into a good RPG, less exaggerated power levels..
OG dragon ball games dont sell well enough to make it a worthy investment. The last dragonball game we got iirc was wrath of king piccolo for the wii for that reason.

Geki-D

Banned
How many times can you actually play through the DBZ storyline? Feels like I've done it about 20 now throughout different games. Not sure I'm willing to do it again...

Barnabot

If it's gonna be a game like "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of heaven" or even Xenoverse and alike then I'm out. I don't need another DBZ fighting game. I already have several ones covering the Saiyans and Frieza sagas.

danielberg

Neophyte
I always wanted a dragonball rpg with some money behind it, it was always a good fit for a rpg (one piece even more) but no one tried/took the risk.

Last edited:

Fbh

Game still sounds interesting but that's a shit trailer.

"Now that we are making an RPG instead of a fighting game, should we focus on those RPG elements for the trailer?. Nah let's show in game cutscenes of the same scenes everyone has seen 80 times!!!"

i wonder if the freeza fight will take a couple hours

Yes, but only 5 minutes will elapse. 🤔

I’ll get this game because I love Dragon Ball, but I am getting tired of playing through the Z story too. It’s been done to death. Yes, it’s legendary and awesome as all hell, but c’mon, man. Super didn’t live up to the hype, I agree, but maybe like someone suggested they need to make games based on original stories like the movies and stop rehashing this same shit. I’m not looking forward to just playing as Goku, but oh well. I would have liked to have seen Dragon Ball FighterZ 2 more, but I know the developer is tied up with the Gran Blue Fantasy and then Persona 5 fighting games.

Doom85

I mean, it looks cool but

A) yes, Goku is the main character but the fanbase obviously loves a ton of the cast so making more than just him playable would be ideal
B) the Saiyan and Freiza arcs have been covered plenty in the games already (and to a lesser extent Cell and Buu assuming they go that far). Being able to play Super's arcs would be far more fresh and exciting

I'll still get it but I just feel they could be doing so much more for a non-fighting DB game at this point.

Psajdak

Banned
As much as I love Dragon Ball franchise, I'm seriously tired of DBZ, especially Saiyan and Namek/Frieza sagas.

It is insane how much they used those in games.

To be honest, I would actually prefer more if they made another game based on original series, although there are much more options with Super, which introduced a lot of new characters, or upgraded old ones.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I mean, it looks cool but

A) yes, Goku is the main character but the fanbase obviously loves a ton of the cast so making more than just him playable would be ideal
B) the Saiyan and Freiza arcs have been covered plenty in the games already (and to a lesser extent Cell and Buu assuming they go that far). Being able to play Super's arcs would be far more fresh and exciting

I'll still get it but I just feel they could be doing so much more for a non-fighting DB game at this point.
Agreed but I don't mind the focus on probably the best saga in both DB, DBZ, DBGT, and DBS HISTORY. Day 1.

Last edited:

blackjon24

Game still sounds interesting but that's a shit trailer.

"Now that we are making an RPG instead of a fighting game, should we focus on those RPG elements for the trailer?. Nah let's show in game cutscenes of the same scenes everyone has seen 80 times!!!"

I know right? Why bother trying to make this sound unique when the gameplay we were shown honestly could have just been mistaken for a new xenoverse or tenkachi game

Last edited:

stickkidsam

God DAYUM!! Now THAT looks like a DBZ game! The punches and attacks have so much impact and the gameplay looks like it'll float like the proverbial butterfly too :D

I just hope there aren't a billion HUD elements. CC2 is generally pretty good about that though.

Lilseb93

DB is my favorite anime series by far almost to the point I could be a fanboy, but I'm just so tired of rehashing the Saiyan and Frieza sagas. The Xenoverse games had problems, but I appreciated them having a more original story. That's also one of the things I really liked about FighterZ.

Geki-D

Banned
12 minute gameplay vid:

giphy.gif

Looks like it'll become tedious very quickly and I haven't even played it yet and I already feel like I've played it too much. The flying around the map stuff was already boring to me in all of the other games, I'll pass.

Dada55000

Just what we needed a dragonball game all about Goku.
Because theres never enought Gokus.

They Should rename the series to Goku.
So it's Dragonball then? Series has always been Goku doing everything+side characters that exist for comedy or to buy time (mostly by getting beat up) until Goku's time comes+rival character that is some combination of qualities opposite to Goku. Everything exists for Goku and is about Goku, since day 1, for better and worse.

cireza

Banned
Looks boring. Should still be great fun for a younger audience, but I have played too many open-world, fetch-quests based games to play something like this.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
So it's Dragonball then? Series has always been Goku doing everything+side characters that exist for comedy or to buy time (mostly by getting beat up) until Goku's time comes+rival character that is some combination of qualities opposite to Goku. Everything exists for Goku and is about Goku, since day 1, for better and worse.

But this is a game. Its different because it can use its wide variety of character and make them more meanifull than the series ever did.

If the game rellies in only what the series is offering, it becomes a boring since the start. Ever played Naruto? Wide range of characters, doesnt mean is all about Naruto, although the series were basically about that. Even later games of DB wasn't like that. What new this game can offer? More about Goku? Than its nothing new, neither worth the attention.

Mista

Banned
From the IGN live stream:

• Players will be able to relive the story of Dragon Ball Z in overwhelming volume. There will be many meticulously recreated scenes from the original story that players will recognize, as well as some scenes that have not really been depicted before in the way that they are depicted in this game.
  • The game’s look is a fusion of CyberConnect2’s experience in cel-shaded graphics technology and Akira Toriyama’s unique art style. The game also depicts the dynamic shifts of emotions in battle and character expressions in meticulous detail.
  • The game is not open-world. The reason being that the focus is on retelling the story. If the game was open-world, they would have to betray the original work in some form.
  • Each area is gradually unlocked as the story progresses. Each map is quite large, and Goku can fly throughout it freely.
  • Several scenes in which adult Goku interacts with characters from the original Dragon Ball—like Android 8—will be in the game.
  • (What happens for parts of the story where Goku is unable to fight? Will players take on the role of other characters?) While nothing can be said regarding playing as other characters at the moment, the game is focused on retelling the story of Dragon Ball Z, so it will not disappoint the fans.
  • In addition to retelling the Dragon Ball Z story, there are also other elements like sub-stories for Android 8 and so on that fans will appreciate.
  • While nothing can be said regarding whether the game will go beyond the Frieza saga, it—again—will not disappoint fans.
  • The theme of the game is to experience the life of Goku in various ways, such as riding Nimbus, eating, going fishing, hunting animals, and more.
  • In addition to buffs like temporarily boosting attack power, how you manage the eating elements of the game is part of the core game cycle and can result in permanent power-ups and so on.

Dada55000

But this is a game. Its different because it can use its wide variety of character and make them more meanifull than the series ever did.

If the game rellies in only what the series is offering, it becomes a boring since the start. Ever played Naruto? Wide range of characters, doesnt mean is all about Naruto, although the series were basically about that. Even later games of DB wasn't like that. What new this game can offer? More about Goku? Than its nothing new, neither worth the attention.
I don't mind doing different stuff with Dragonball, I am just baffled by people complaining about the focus on Goku, as if that wasn't the most Dragonball thing in existence.

Saber

Gold Member
I don't mind doing different stuff with Dragonball, I am just baffled by people complaining about the focus on Goku, as if that wasn't the most Dragonball thing in existence.

Theres nothing wrong with that. Remember, this is a game. Its supposed to offer you more than the manga/anime.

Top Bottom