• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 4 creative director has left BioWare

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Matt Goldman was a more-than-20-year veteran of BioWare, having worked on Baldur’s Gate and the early Dragon Age games.

In an internal email sent to BioWare staff, published by Kotaku, BioWare’s studio GM Gary McKay acknowledged that the creative director’s departure could affect some employees’ work, but insisted that the game would not ship until it met standards.

The full letter to staff reads:

Hi everyone,

I hope you are well. I’m writing to inform you all that Matt Goldman is leaving BioWare. We have mutually agreed to part ways, and his last day is today.

We understand that Matt’s departure has an impact on you, as well as the game’s development. Rest assured our commitment to a high-quality Dragon Age game has not waivered, and we will not ship a game that is not up to BioWare’s standards.

We, including EA’s executive team, have absolute confidence in the leadership here at the studio and the people working on this game to carry forward our vision.

In a separate statement, an EA spokesperson said: “Matt Goldman is no longer working at BioWare. He leaves the next Dragon Age game in excellent hands, with the team here at the studio who will carry forward our vision for the game.”

Derktron

Banned
Season 20 Fire GIF by The Simpsons

WoJ

You know, when it was announced DA4 and the new Mass Effect game were going to be single player focused I had hope. Things like this take that hope away.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just remake DA1. That's all we need and I have zero faith they can make a decent sequel or anything new.

Last edited:
Man, I wish I found a company worth working for from the ground up to where it is today (for better, or worse) for 20 years.

Good luck to him.

CGiRanger

Banned
That definitely doesn't sound like a fully amicable departure. Seems like the guy was booted out, since usually if they leave on good terms they've "left to pursue other opportunities" and hailing their accomplishments. Absolutely none of that here.

So makes me curious why they booted him. Was it sheer incompetence and underperformance? Or was there something else at work here? (more harassment? lol)

Blackage

"..and we will not ship a game that is not up to BioWare’s standards."

does this mean anything anymore?

To be fair, since Anthem came out and crashed and burned in 2019 they haven't released anything and seem to be taking their time with Dragon Age 4.

If they go full Sonic Team and all we get are Anthem/ME: Andromeda going forward I'd agree, but if they could fix whatever culture led to those 2 games fuckin up at the level they fucked up, maybe they can course correct.

jakinov

could be bad could be good who knows. People leave companies all the time. Even people in high up positions. Deathloop studio director just left. Peter Molyneux left his job. Phil Harrison leaves a company every other year ;). The Last of Us director left Naughty Dog. Every God of War director has left Santa Monica studios at least once. Handful of 343 people left.

BigBooper

What does "mutually agreed to part ways" mean?

They fired him and he said ok? Or he quit and they said ok? What a weird way to phrase that.

SJRB

Gold Member

They fired him and he said ok? Or he quit and they said ok? What a weird way to phrase that.

It probably means that he said "I cannot salvage this mess so I think I'm gonna head out" and they said "well we can't legally force you to stay so okay I guess".

Horatius

that's the least sentimental goodbye to a 20 year mega veteran who made all your best shit i've ever seen without some big scandal

does not bode well for that shell of a company

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Basically yes, its a "soft" dismissal. As in they wanted rid, and he agreed not to fight it which as such a long-standing employee he could likely have grounds to do.

Sounds quite political, but clearly part of the deal is to keep the specifics on the down-low.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

Bioware used to be a well-regarded AAA studio. It's amazing how they've just completely fallen off the cliff in recent years.
Seems to have happened to a few. Bethesda's once high acclaim has taken a couple major blows, CDPR obviously took a serious hit to their rep, and even Rockstar hasn't faired too well lately...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No problem guys, we still have him he it ixc ze

Jesus... even the way he wants to write its pretty obvious what he's going for...

"This time what if the character didn't have power? What if the people in charge didn't want to address the situation?"

Oh you mean like in Dragon age where you recently joined order is massacred and lead a small group of vagabonds against a threat that the kingdom you are trying to help wants to ignore because they are too busy trying to secure there own legacy in an insurrection.

Oh you mean like when you where an unwanted refugee in Dragon Age 2 and had to deal with a town that wanted you to shut up so they could ignore the problems it had?

So essentially not Dragon Age : Inquisition... after the Third act...

Wow how original.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Just remake DA1. That's all we need and I have zero faith they can make a decent sequel or anything new.

I'd take a full blown remake of DA1. That game was amazing.

I have zero faith in DA4 or their new Mass Effect game. Old Bioware is dead.

luffie

I

I believe this if it was Baldur's Gate time, during those times, I buy their games blind, and it worked till Dragon Age Origins.

Now it's just courtesy talk for leaving the company while not burning bridges.

Fbh

Just kill it already, or sell the right to their games to some other studio.

DA4 to be at least as good as Anthem confirmed!!

Unimpressed Loop GIF

Disappointing to see the house of the doctors fall so far from grace
Counterpoint: they rose to prominence copying D&D rules into digital form, with above average writing. They never were that great at making complex games. The industry advanced past them.

Top Bottom