• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 edition coming October 3rd in the West for $29.99

This was soooo good! Spent 200 hrs on it back then.
Had to be one of very very few RPGs where I enjoyed playing as an archer. Archery is pretty much easy mode, really.

bobawesome

The song that replaced it in Dark Arisen​ was better anyways.

7b8KPqS.jpg

Nah, I agree.

Ascheroth

Every time Dragon's Dogma comes up, I tell the story of the first time I came across an Ogre, which is still one my favorite moments in gaming.

I cautiously started to fight the beast with my pawns. It was powerful, but I could deal with it if I stayed cool and collected.
After a while I jumped on its back, wanting to climb up to its head and shred it with my twin-daggers.
"I have you now, brutish beast!" I was thinking.
"Joke's on you, idiot." the beast was thinking as it promptly jumped into the air and landed on its back, crushing me underneath.

That hurt quite a bit, but as it took the beast a while to get up I was thinking "Hm, maybe I can use this to my advantage!"
I then proceeded to climb on its back once more, but jumping away from it once it tried to crush me, joyfully hacking away at it while it was stranded on the ground.

This strategy seemed to work quite well. But then, I accidentally grabbed its arm instead of its back.
Before I could react to the situation, the Ogre entered into a frenzy, wildly flailing around its arms, trying to shake me off.
It did not manage to shake me off.
Instead it crushed the arm with me on it into the nearest wall.

I already have this on Steam, but I might buy it again on PS4 just to support it. I really wish we'd get a sequel with true multiplayer.

Every time Dragon's Dogma comes up, I tell the story of the first time I came across an Ogre, which is still one my favorite moments in gaming.

I cautiously started to fight the beast with my pawns. It was powerful, but I could deal with it if I stayed cool and collected.
After a while I jumped on its back, wanting to climb up to its head and shred it with my twin-daggers.
"Joke's on you, idiot." the beast was thinking as it promptly jumped into the air and landed on its back, crushing me underneath.

That hurt quite a bit, but as it took the beast a while to get up I was thinking "Hm, maybe I can use this to my advantage!"
I then proceeded to climb on its back once more, but jumping away from it once it tried to crush me, joyfully hacking away at it while it was stranded on the ground.

This strategy seemed to work quite well. But then, I accidentally grabbed its arm instead of its back.
Before I could react to the situation, the Ogre entered into a frenzy, wildly flailing around its arms, trying to shake me off.

One of the highlights for me was when I fought the
drake
at Devilfire Grove. I was only a lowish level there, and me and my main pawn were both mages. It must have taken an hour at least to kill that thing, but I managed it by hiding around some rocks and taking pathetically weak shots to chip it's health down slowly. The other pawns didn't help much, and I spent half the time reviving them.

You people are making this game sound ridiculously dynamic, almost to the point where I'm skeptical. Talking about grabbing arms, climbing on ogres, romancing any NPC and crazy shit like that.

I have a pre-order on it for £16, feel like I'm getting a good deal here!

You people are making this game sound ridiculously dynamic, almost to the point where I'm skeptical. Talking about grabbing arms, climbing on ogres, romancing any NPC and crazy shit like that.

It's really a fantastic game. If you enjoy RPGs at all, you'll probably enjoy it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
This was one of those games that sat in my PS+ list for ages then one day I thought I'd boot it up just to see what it was like. Nek minnit.......

Never finished it but damn was it an awesome game, 100x more than I ever imagined.

You can climb along almost any monster (obviously the big ones, you don't really want to be straddling a Goblin) like you can on Shadow of the Colossus. I never did much climbing though. I mainly stayed as magic classes, went offensive for a little bit, then stayed as a Mystic Knight, which turns the game into a bullet hell shooter.

I think there are only a few NPCs you can't romance (well, romance isn't really the right word for it). Basically, towards the end of the game you're automatically assigned a love interest based on a few conditions, but it mainly goes off the last NPC with the highest affinity that you spoke to before doing said quest. For characters that have sidequests, you usually get a load of affinity for them, but you can also get it by gifting items to people, or talking to them. You can also get a special ring from a sidequest that will max out affinity. While it makes it likely that whoever receives it will become your love interest, it's not guaranteed. If you speak to another person with max affinity after gifting that, they'll probably become it. In other words, it's best to use that ring just before you do that quest near the end. However, some sidequests remove characters from the game, so you may need to gift it earlier. They can still become your love interest though.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah romance isn't like what people think in most games. That's why it's so hilarious at the end when you realised who has been chosen to be your beloved.

It's quite accidental, without the above method but it's one of the charms of the game. I really hope this sells well. Going to buy my fourth copy I guess XD.

but it really is. The bigger monsters also have parts that you can attack. The eye of the cyclops while climbing him, the tail and goat head of the chimera that can be severed to weaken the monster etc.

Maxey

Hope it's not 30fps, would be pretty upsetting.

Although, if it's completely locked to 30 the whole time, at least it's still an upgrade over the PS3 version.

Yeah romance isn't like what people think in most games. That's why it's so hilarious at the end when you realised who has been chosen to be your beloved.

It's quite accidental, without the above method but it's one of the charms of the game. I really hope this sells well. Going to buy my fourth copy I guess XD.

Yeah, like I said, you can sort of cheat the system, but even then the game can still surprise you with a stupid choice.

Although, if it's completely locked to 30 the whole time, at least it's still an upgrade over the PS3 version.

If Digital Foundry does a framerate analysis, I really hope they include the PS3 version, lol

emag

Don't expect any meaningful interactions beyond combat/traversal.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its not going to be a locked 60 no matter what; the vfx load can get insane with all the screen filling magic effects happening at the same time. There's one particular occasion I can think of involving 3 dragons and a Reaper mob that has so much overdraw its plain nuts.

OTIX

You can romance practically every and ANY NPC in the game. Yes, even a random guard standing over there, a random villager, shopkeeper, inkeeper, whatever, and even (creepily enough) children. Of course, there are several more significant NPCs that you can also pursue.

No need to follow a FAQ if you know one basic hard rule:

The person you're doing romance sidequest with before the final fight with the Dragon will be locked as your romance. (if they have no sidequest, then the person you raise their affinity with the last.)

As simple as that.

It's not quite that simple unfortunately. It actually chooses the last person that you spoke to that has maxed affinity. On the other hand it's not such a bad thing to end up with Fournival as your beloved. He may be old, fat and bald but it's much more convenient to access his wares if he's living in your house instead of running around the capital looking for him.

By the way, did anyone notice what "Into Free" is actually about?

Today I woke and looked outside again
But the sky looked the same to me
Something told me that this world had changed
Couldn't figure out what did it mean

Some say to get out fast, looks like it's gonna last
Get all your things and fly (DON'T LEAVE NOTHING BEHIND)
Some said it'll be OK, just go ahead and stay
Be sure to drink your iodine

The wind is pushing me, into the clouds again
I feel the blood in my veins
Time is running free, I feel like letting go
Just like the Dangan

Staring out to the hourglass inside
My mind is racing and wild
Blinded by eyes that cover up the facts
Uncertainty with all the cracks in a smile

I'm breathing life or death, are we making progress?
Not really sure this time (THE CHOICE IS YOURS AND MINE)
Not sure what to do next, no real test reflex
Can't touch or see with my own eyes

Fukushima

kikiribu

Sigh. 2017 has had no chill with the game releases and it's still not over. I never played Dragon's Dogma, so I guess it's finally time. Hoping for 60fps.

Gradon

It was completely hilarious when people were extremely upset because of the 'forced gay relationships!!!!!'

I never got as far to end up romanced but I'm excited to smash this to completion when it comes out.

DocSeuss

One of my favorite moments involved having a friend's level 95 pawn, which made the game a tiny bit easier (I think there's some scaling going on). So there I was, traipsing around at like... level 20 or 30, when I stumble across a dragon. This was the first dragon I had stumbled across in the wild, and I was eager to take it on. Its level wasn't that much higher than mine, so I charged headfirst into the foray...

Only to learn that dragons can mind control your pawns.

...and... that having a level 95 mind controlled pawn wiping your party is one of the most "wow, that escalated quickly" moments in a game. I did not expect her to utterly and totally demolish my party so ruthlessly.

We all died and I reloaded my last save and we avoided the crap out of dragons after that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait this is 30fps? And looks like that?

Before you say that, you should actually realize how badly the previous gen versions ran and looked, those machines could not handle it.

Dragon's Dogma doesn't really need a graphical overhaul as long as it can be displayed at the optimal level visually and run solid. And i'm sure these ports to XB1 and PS4 will do that

ggx2ac

Best game that never got a sequel :(

It's soulsbourne level of awesomeness.

Never forget:

pdf_11.png

Capcom celebrates' early because Dragon's Dogma would surely beat the 1.5 million sales forecast which it had around 10 months left to beat right? Nope.

Stops at 1.2 million sales failing to beat the target.

The following year, Capcom releases Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It does 550k sales for the initial quarter it launched at and only got upto 650k for the following quarter which I couldn't find any further figures from Capcom except on the million sellers list.

Did Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen get 1.7 million total sales that were counted from PS+ downloads of the game when it was free? I don't know how else a DLC expansion managed to beat the original game.

Otherwise, Dragon's Dogma Online shouldn't have happened. Which I mean they wouldn't have made DD a f2p MMO only playable in Japan.

Top Bottom