• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Strange, Super-Man etc. powerful super hero video games

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Let’s not pretend that the greatest super hero games have been Batman and Spider-Man that are serious heroes but are respected more for their talents than powers.
2909488-2568043-81n%2Bsomdsjl._sl1500_.jpg

Gamers were all over Batman Arkham games...
For years now powerful universal super hero and villain movies are released, powerful aliens (Thanos, darkseid etc.) we get it...
Spider-man-ps4-box-art.jpg

It feels like we are due for a Avengers, Dr. Strange Black Adam type of game, flying, space and lasers for whatever reason seems very tricky in gaming.
What does GAF think? I don’t think developers trust intergaltic super heroes and villains. Would a Dr. Strange game be good for audiences?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's why nobody's made a Superman game in 15 years. You have to tone his powers down in some way to make him interesting, or have the focus be on saving others rather than defeating bad guys, and that doesn't translate well to video games.

I firmly believe you can make a good Superman game.

Yea, there will be segments of power drain (from kryptonite) but also throw in ultra enemies (Darkseid, Doomsday, etc) and have the open world loop be more about prioritizing crisis management, personal life, etc. It’s possible to make a very compelling Supes game without nerfing him.

This applies to any hero.

Make a great Doctor Strange game where you can master all the mystic arts, just add a compelling challenge to use all those abilities on. Get creative.

People act like villains in these universes can’t be super powerful too.

Last edited:

MAtgS

Yea, there will be segments of power drain (from kryptonite) but also throw in ultra enemies (Darkseid, Doomsday, etc) and have the open world loop be more about prioritizing crisis management, personal life, etc. It’s possible to make a very compelling Supes game without nerfing him.

This applies to any hero.

Make a great Doctor Strange game where you can master all the mystic arts, just add a compelling challenge to use all those abilities on. Get creative.

People act like villains in these universes can’t be super powerful too.
OK, but that's just the boss fights. What about the minor enemies that we're fighting for 90% of the game?

Bryank75

Banned
I'd prefer a more morally ambiguous character like Doctor Doom. Where you could decide your particular mix of magic and technology and which mask to wear etc.

Dr Strange would be fun, I'm sure and could have many dimensions and weird things going on too.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I feel like maybe Platinum could do it if they had a giant budget. It really takes someone with over-the-top thinking that far surpasses what most western devs seem willing to do. If you saw the ending of Bayonetta 1 then you know what I mean lol.

Why stop a car chase when you can punch someone into the sun instead?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

A big problem I feel from modern games (open world mostly I'm meaning) is them not going far enough in terms of escalation of movement mechanics. Its spiderman's biggest problem for me that you never really move any faster than you do at the start, at the end. If webswinging was more manual then it wouldn't be as bad, but its too automatic to feel fresh for a whole game. A good example where it doesn't change a lot throughout the game but thats fine is with something like Just Cause 3's wingsuit, because its very manual and you improve at using it as the game goes on so you feel a progression that way. Its like Arkham City/Knight where you get a few essential upgrades and then it comes into its own.

In Spiderman you just hold a button and guide with the stick, I know there is webzipping but thats it apart from swinging really. We supposedly have all this ability to load chunks/the map so much faster now so they better start using it.

I hope Just Cause 5 leads the way in this regard, I want to fucking fly around the map at lightspeed, I want to feel like the bloody Flash.

Last edited:

nowhat

I firmly believe you can't. The guy is basically a god - unless you get some kryptonite because of $REASONS, then he becomes less than a mortal. Hence, traditionally (we'll ignore the Snyder shit here) he doesn't obliterate his villains (which he totally could) but instead more like wags his finger and is like "naughty, naughty". How would you turn that into gameplay?

MiguelItUp

I like the idea of a super villain game.

I mean, we haven't really seen that yet. We've seen a couple of hero/anti-hero games, but I want a straight up super villain game. I mean, think of all the super villains so many people thought were cool for decades, but they've never been able to control them in a game. Some in fighters, sure, thanks to the marvel and marvel vs capcom series. But not in situations where the focus is the character themselves.

I'm still bummed that one Darth Maul game got cancelled. Not really a super villain, sure, but he was a Sith, so it still would've been cool IMO.

Top Bottom